test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Few QOL Suggestions

hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
A few things that annoy me about the game, that could be made a lot better.

1. Loot Pickup
I know the current system is a holdever from the rather old single player games, where loot spills out all over the ground and you have to run around picking it up. This is a pain and a time waster. It is also somewhat impossible in dungeons since most of your teammates want to rush through at max speed. You stop to pick up loot, you get left behind.

Suggestion: Give the players options for auto loot pickup. Somewhere in setup let me specify the lowest level of loot that I want to auto pickup ( green, blue, purple, etc.) Also let me specify if I only want to pickup certains types of items. For example, I might not want to pick up green armor. If you reach full bags, then auto pickup stops.

2. Identify Scrolls
They waste a lot of space in bags. They add an extra level of complexity to the refinement process and should be dropped from the game.
Just let drops be auto identified - this concept is antiquated.

3. Mount Knockoff
Allow me to perform actions while mounted without being knocked off. Looting, zoning, etc. I shouldnt be knocked off my mount just for doing simple things. Cant tell you how many times I've left loot lying just because of the time needed to remount.

4. Quest Item Pickup - make it consistent. Some items automatically go in my inventory. Other items have a popup that I have to click "ok" on. Lose the popup.

5. Quest Confirmations - If I pick up a quest or complete a quest, dont return me to the npc main dialog if there isnt anything useful left to click on, like another quest.

6. Fix Zone Instance Cap Logic - too many events like the dragon run in WoD, or the BHE in Omu require people to constantly spam for invites to said instance. For some reason, when the zone gets to half filled, the game blocks other players from switching there. So much zone chatter could be eliminated if this could be loosened up.

7. Create New Bags - love the new costume bag. Now how about bags exlicitly for stuff like quest items, quest scrolls, lure components, Ostarian relics, and river district items.

8. Fishing in SOMI - I cannot express how much I hate this system, and I'm not alone. The Q/E/R/1 keys needed to do this become VERY painful after fishing for an extended time, due to awkward hand placement.
Suggestions: Make the system simpler. Reduce the number of keys needed. I'd eliminate the 1 key, just have it auto pulled in when the progress bar is 100%. Get rid of Q, and have me do only E and R.

9. Invoking - give me some way to quickly invoke for all 9 of my characters. Preferably from the character list. You'd save a lot of network traffic if people didnt have to log in every character just to invoke.

10. Leadership/Crafting - give me a way to auto collect everything instead of one at a time. Another option to auto collect and REPEAT would also be nice. Again, it takes so much time to go through every item, collect, and repick.

11. Celestial Coins - stop with the "you have to login every day or you lose them" mechanic. Also, remove the cap of 12 - why does that even exist?

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    2: Identification ties directly to the source material.

4: Agree.

6: Zones have a soft cap and a hard cap. I believe WoD is 30/40.

8: Anti-bot setup.

9: Anti-bot setup. There is a keybind you can do to allow you to invoke and go to the character select screen.

10: Anti-bot setup. Current setup requires you to actually spend time on your mules.

11: So that you have a limited amount to work with. One or two weeks, depending on if you see your way through to the last invoke.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    greywynd said:

9: Anti-bot setup. There is a keybind you can do to allow you to invoke and go to the character select screen.

10: Anti-bot setup. Current setup requires you to actually spend time on your mules.

11: So that you have a limited amount to work with. One or two weeks, depending on if you see your way through to the last invoke.

2. No idea why "source material" should dictate having an antiquated gaming subsystem.

6. Aware of that. The soft cap needs to be loosened up or eliminated.

While on the topic of zoning, I wish they'd drop the 2 minute freeze on switching instances, or at least not have it when you first enter the zone. Somewhat annoying having to wait 2 minutes if the only thing I want to do is participate in the BHE. If the 2 min wait is to reduce the chance of DoS attacks, I think it's a bit overboard - 45 secs to a minute should be plenty.

8-10: Anti-bot measures should not inconvenience actual players. Compared to what I saw 2 years ago, botting is relatively non-existent now - the size of the playerbase doesnt really warrant it.

11: That doesnt make any sense. There is no such limit on the other type of coin, nor is there any inherent value in limiting the count.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited May 2018

greywynd said:

2. No idea why "source material" should dictate having an antiquated gaming subsystem.

6. Aware of that. The soft cap needs to be loosened up or eliminated.

While on the topic of zoning, I wish they'd drop the 2 minute freeze on switching instances, or at least not have it when you first enter the zone. Somewhat annoying having to wait 2 minutes if the only thing I want to do is participate in the BHE. If the 2 min wait is to reduce the chance of DoS attacks, I think it's a bit overboard - 45 secs to a minute should be plenty.

8-10: Anti-bot measures should not inconvenience actual players. Compared to what I saw 2 years ago, botting is relatively non-existent now - the size of the playerbase doesnt really warrant it.

11: That doesnt make any sense. There is no such limit on the other type of coin, nor is there any inherent value in limiting the count.
    2)The source material is Dungeons & Dragons. The company that owns D & D licenses the property to Cryptic. They have the final say over what is & isn't in the game. Scrolls of identification are a part of the game going back to the origins of the game.

6)The cap in WOD is due to the lag in WOD. With ~40 players attacking the dragon @ the same time, the server response slows down, a lot. If they eliminated the cap, there would be no dragon runs, because the lag would make the game freeze solid. They really should change the soft cap to a hard cap. You don't need more than 20 players to do the run anyway.

8-10)If you think there are less bots, browse thru any of the Random Dungeon Queue threads. The botters don't go away, they just find new targets. By definition any anti-bot solution antagonizes players. Either it increases the difficulty of obtaining items in game, valuable items mind, or it interrupts the flow of the game to make you prove you are a biological person. Captcha, NPC questions, what have you. Either way, if it stops the bots, it hampers the activities of players.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    8-10 goes back to "how does the game tell the difference between a bot and an actual player?"
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    greywynd said:

6)The cap in WOD is due to the lag in WOD. With ~40 players attacking the dragon @ the same time, the server response slows down, a lot. If they eliminated the cap, there would be no dragon runs, because the lag would make the game freeze solid. They really should change the soft cap to a hard cap. You don't need more than 20 players to do the run anyway.

People get around the softcap regardless by constant spam for an invite - the dragon runs almost always result in a full instance with 40 players. I have no issue with the hardcap of 40, which makes sense due to lag - just eliminate the softcap.

As far as performance, they need to take a long hard look. I played a much older game named Dark Age of Camelot. It had plenty of issues with performance in the early days, but after much tweaking they had full on 200 vs 200 battles fairly lag free. Yet for some reason a newer game has issues with 40. No matter what your data transmission/compression scheme is, it can always be made better.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    They have to keep the softcap so people can run i parties. The game always fills instances up to the softcap leaving room for party members to be added to the same instance as the first to arrive if the softcap is reached.

Omu is 20/25. If you show up and are player 20 in the instance, your party menbers have room to join you. If they are coming from another zine, they do so automatically.

I do think the addition of HE farming should lead to the timer for instance changing to be lowered or eliminated.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother