test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spring forward, Fall back.

Just a quick note to remind devs that in the UK our clocks went forward last weekend, and the in game clock is still an hour behind.

Comments

• spelldazerspelldazer Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    Not just in the UK. ;-)
  • foofighter592foofighter592 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I don’t believe the game clock ever adjusts for daylight savings time.
    :(
    It should grab the time from the xbox rather than the server. It is really, really annoying.
    Not sure why it would cause issues if implemented correctly. It's an issue right now what with the hour being wrong...
  • johnnyreklaw#1518 johnnyreklaw Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Not everyone across the world changes their clocks bi-annually. Some of those that do change them on different weekends. It isn't too much of an annoyance if you plan for it in the future.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

Not sure why it would cause issues if implemented correctly. It's an issue right now what with the hour being wrong...

...but the hour is not wrong, for me.

We do not observe daylight savings time here. No matter which way they go, there will be issues for someone. As you can probably guess, I prefer no change.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I'm failing to see what issue is being caused right now by the game clock not being set the way you would like?

Is it confusing you? Are events not firing as they have for years? Is it the fact that you have to readjust for things being off an hour? Is that a lot to ask? There is no way for them to adjust the in game clock without annoying other people. Even if they adjusted the in-game clock, the events and reset would most likely still fire off based on their server times not whatever your local time is. So you achieve nothing since it changes absolutely nothing but the in-game clock display for you.

Hardly seems worth the effort to me.
    I don't want the in game stuff to change. I just want the clock to reflect my local time. It is trivial. Barring that, let me hide it to avoid confusion.

The problem it is causing me is manageable of course but what happens is I see 12.30 and think "oh, I still have an hour until I need to pick up my little one from kindergarden" when in fact I am late by a few minutes. I've bailed on a few random epic queues because of it. Sucks for them, I guess...

@zephyriah you would still see the correct time for you, so why is it an issue? They just need to grab the time on the xbox/pc/locale and do the calculations off of that instead of using the internal server clock.
  • ashwilliowbrook#2249 ashwilliowbrook Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    The in game clock doesn’t show the local time in the UK though that’s the point. I agree with the OP it’s annoying and should be fixed.
    On Xbox like the OP.
    Yes the Xbox clock is correct
    Thanks, it would be nice if they could adjust it.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

cause of it. Sucks for them, I guess...

@zephyriah you would still see the correct time for you, so why is it an issue? They just need to grab the time on the xbox/pc/locale and do the calculations off of that instead of using the internal server clock.

My point was that they already do some version of what you suggest based on other input. If your system does not show correct local time and many/most of us have correct time, then any change made to fix your time could break it for the rest of us. Unless they are very careful with the changes and testing and they have demonstrated that they are not.

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    @spelldazer This may be a silly question, but do you have your xbox one set-up to change times automatically when daylight savings time changes things?
    Surely it doesn’t have to be about if it works for us then it breaks for them. It’s not unreasonable to expect a game of this size to be able to tell the time properly, wherever you are in the world.
    @nitocris83 I will check and get back to you.
    @nitocris83 I checked my settings and the DST checkbox is marked. If I take it off, the xbox clock adjusts an hour back, same as what the game shows, which is wrong. Restarting the xbox does not fix this bug.

If it's a MSFT issue, apologies.
    Either way... Thanks for looking into this!
  • mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    This is indeed an issue, every other game adjusts the game clock to local time based on the Xbox internal clock.
    Not sure where they are using as their yard stick, however GMT for the UK and Ireland would work, in the rest of Europe they are in differing time zones (as with the US) therefore it seems to be a UK/Eire issue only (unless our Euro colleagues know different).
    This is now fixed, thank you.
    Yay! xD