test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does Evocation Beat Storm Spell for AoE Now?

dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
I hope not because I love raining lightning down from the skies, but it seems possible.

Anyone tried it out on pc with some ACT logs yet?

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Answers may come after Sharp is done with counting Bronzewood Logs and Allosaur Fangs. :tongue:
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Last week when I did my quests in the new zone I had the same thought as you.

I have not tested it, but I have looked at the sheet from @thefabricant :
    here

At least Evocation work on all AoE powers :

Conduit of Ice

Icy Terrain

Sudden Storm

Steal Time

Oppressive Force

Third Hit of Chilling Cloud
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    I'm curious about this as well. I don't forsee a change if you have a crit build but maybe a power build with low crit would benefit more with Evocation.
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    1 reason why it probably won't is the speed of enemy deaths. Take steal time for example: without Stormspell, if the enemies die before the spell finishes.. .you deal 0 damage.
    edited March 2018
    I was curious, I did two Kessel solo run with an AoE Oppressor Spellstorm build.

Conduit of Ice (Mastery), Sudden Storm, Icy Terrain, Steal Time, Oppressive Force.

Chilling Presence with the off-hand bonus

First run with Evocation :

Second run with Spell Storm :

Conclusion :

Spell Storm is better in actlog, and my overall feeling between the two run is that the run with spell storm was faster and I had a real feeling that enemies died more quickly with spell storm.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    A Quick question @gildriador , Flank only 1-2%?

Is that intentional? If not, perhaps a run with a pet and positioning for 90-100% flank/CA bonus?

It would be interesting to see how much CA increases in aspects to those two feature powers.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User

A Quick question @gildriador , Flank only 1-2%?

Is that intentional? If not, perhaps a run with a pet and positioning for 90-100% flank/CA bonus?

It would be interesting to see how much CA increases in aspects to those two feature powers.

Combat Advantage via positioning is broken. If you wanted a test run with combat advantage you'd have to go renegade.

@gildriador thanks for the act logs.
    I'm not sure but I think flank by positioning is still broken. The 2 run was with the new Tiger as summoned pet (epic level).
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    @gildriador in the second act log you somehow have aura of courage damage in a solo run?

Sorry, I accidentaly merged the data with a 30 seconds open zone test I did just before starting the 2 run.

I removed the 30 sec test in open zone before each run.

here is the data corrected with the damage only from Kessel:

Evocation

SpellStorm

I was curious, I did two Kessel solo run with an AoE Oppressor Spellstorm build.

Conduit of Ice (Mastery), Sudden Storm, Icy Terrain, Steal Time, Oppressive Force.

Chilling Presence with the off-hand bonus

First run with Evocation :

Second run with Spell Storm :

Conclusion :

Spell Storm is better in actlog, and my overall feeling between the two run is that the run with spell storm was faster and I had a real feeling that enemies died more quickly with spell storm.

Your AoE build, do you have the feat Focus Wizardy? If so, your AoE abilities are taking 10% damage loss. When you state AoE Oppressor build are you full Oppressor or are you Thaum with 15 points into Oppressor?

edited March 2018

Sorry, I accidentaly merged the data with a 30 seconds open zone test I did just before starting the 2 run.

Evocation

SpellStorm

IMO, Storm Spell still needs to be adjusted downward in damage. It provides to much of a boost in damage for a CW; the majority of our damage should be coming from our encounters and not a personal.

• itblsitbls Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    @mebengalsfan#9264
    Its called "Spellstorm Mage" for a reason and thats just on aoe trash mobs. Spellstorm is not as great on bosses. What they should do is boost our encounters and dailys dmg a not downgrade stormspell yet again. We been asking cw base dmg boost for while now.. they just don't listen. Maybe on 2020.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User

Evocation

SpellStorm

IMO, Storm Spell still needs to be adjusted downward in damage. It provides to much of a boost in damage for a CW; the majority of our damage should be coming from our encounters and not a personal.

No, it's fine like this. This way it procs only when you build 100% crit chance and utilize it's potential fully.
    Most of the powers that proc it are not at all high damage like Conduit of Ice and Icy Terrain.

For instance you need to cast 2 encounters to evenly match the current TR's Smoke Bomb encounter, and TRs are one of the weakest classes in the game right now. So, yeah.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Apparently today's patch increased the SS proc rate, or rather fixed it. Let's see how it works out.

Your AoE build, do you have the feat Focus Wizardy? If so, your AoE abilities are taking 10% damage loss. When you state AoE Oppressor build are you full Oppressor or are you Thaum with 15 points into Oppressor?

The Spellstorm Oppressor AoE feats that I used are here :

nwcalc.com/index.html#/cw?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13j3ih0:1555u0v:1z05000:1000000&h=0&p=ssm&o=0

Anyway with the patch stormspell process is fixed, I have not tested it, but we can feel the difference just by doing campaign quest.
    Maybe I will log another Kessel run only to compare the % of damage from stormspell before the patch and after the patch if some of you are interested.
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Notice that his overall damage for the run is about 2 million more with Evocation, though.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
    The boss fights was longer with Evocation, I killed more Ice Golem. The total damages is not what you need to look. You need to look at the EncDPS column.

And keep in mind that I did those tests before the fix to storm spell.