test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The bugs in ToNG (and workarounds)

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
edited January 2018 in PvE Discussion
I mostly just run ToNG these days - with the occasional mSP, mSVA or FBI thrown in, but for the most part it is just ToNG, ToNG, ToNG. I think I have run into every bug or issue there is in ToNG - some of which have workarounds that not everyone may be aware of.

Anyhow - here is a list, with some thoughts on workarounds.

The Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

People are always complaining about lag in ToNG - even those with a very fast connection who have never any lag issues anywhere else. You get very jerky movement, delayed response to keystrokes and other similar problems. Sometimes the issues seem to go away if you just go to the "Change Character" screen and re-select yourself - sometimes a full relog will seem to help, but too frequently nothing will help, and you just have to suffer through this.

Missing Orcus

Sometimes when you go in to fight Orcus he just doesn't show up. So, you just stand there and look silly for a while - and then suicide to get out and try again.

Late Balls

Sometimes green balls appear after Orcus is dead and the TempHP buff wears off. This is annoying, as it is pretty much a guaranteed insta-kill. There is no workaround as such. just focus on grabbing any loot from the center before the ball reaches you, and then just use your death to get out of the area.

Rock trap bug

Sometimes the rock trap will bug before you clear it away, so you end up stuck and cannot pick up the remaining rocks. There was some speculation that this was timing-related - if two people attempted to pick up or drop a rock at exactly the same time, but this has not been confirmed. Now, there is a workaround, but it borders on being an exploit, so I will not discuss it here, except to say that it requites a particular class using a particular ability and then everyone else just suicides to get through.

Potion puzzle bugs

If one player drinks a potion, while another runs through the room and triggers a trap, the first player may be stuck in a shapeshifted form, with blurry graphics for the rest of the run. There is another issue which I have seen a couple of times where a player may have multiple, overlapping forms - basically a rainbow - green dino, yellow, orange, blue...all at the same time. I have no idea how to reproduce that.

Aggro dwarves

Occasionally the Tomb Dwarves just before the last boss will get aggressive and attack for no good reason whatsoever. I assume this is related to some passive power or specific companion behavior, but I have never been able to track down exactly why it happens.

Wrong campfire

There was an issue where you would reappear at a distant campfire - even at the very beginning - if you jumped or fell off the end boss platform. This is, however, supposed to be fixed now, I think.

The missing chests

This is probably the most annoying bug of them all, where you don't get the chests after killing Ras Nsi. The general consensus seems to be that you can reduce the chance of this happening by slowing down or just stop attacking him once he goes down to 2-3%, and just let him be swept off. This bug has gotten developer attention, but there is no ETA on a fix.

Did I miss any bugs?
Hoping for improvements...

Comments

• slyef#6396 slyef Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Missing the Yuan-Ti bug (on top of the laaaaaag), a simple reconnection can do the trick. About the colouring potions, I don't get Blurry Sight at all (my Graphics are at the minimum), and if someone has many of them, it's probably intentional -- It's not hard to destack it.
  • werdandi#8366 werdandi Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    POTION PUZZLE BUGS:
    -I am pretty sure you can get rid of the blurry effect if you unlog/relog (but you will keep the form).
    -overlapping forms: you can stack several forms if you drink a potion and if you skip the trap each time you do the dungeon.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Multiple Animal forms come from drinking a potion and suiciding. This counts for the potion without removing the overlay. I guess this is an exploit but it isnt actually beneficial.

I think the rock bug is caused by people trying to walk through the opening before it officially cleared. There is room to pass but the trap is still active.

The distant campfire can be fixed in private queues by having the affected person leave the group and get reinvited.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    miguelfdz said:

You also missed the bugs of the 3 mimics. One is that it looks like flash of ligth mess up the mimic CD or something, and tou can and with 2 mimic in the same spot. There are also a bug wich there are no good coffers, the 3 mimics atack you and you have to tigger the trap anyway.

Can confirm the multiple mimics in the same spot. When I selected it I both failed and passed the trap at the same time.

Half my team ran on while the other half stayed and died fighting the mimic without buffs...
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Multiple Animal forms come from drinking a potion and suiciding. This counts for the potion without removing the overlay. I guess this is an exploit but it isnt actually beneficial.

I think the rock bug is caused by people trying to walk through the opening before it officially cleared. There is room to pass but the trap is still active.

The distant campfire can be fixed in private queues by having the affected person leave the group and get reinvited.

There is another work around for this...use the teleport sign and teleport to PE and than use the return to instance. This resolve this as well. Much quicker and less time waiting for the player to return.

• kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    I have the potion effect still active for over a week. I did not suicide after drinking it, but the trap somehow completed without me getting to the creature. If someone would share the method to get rid of it, it would be helpful. I have been back to tong, multiple times and each time, I turn yellow again upon entering the room with the potion trap.
  • jano#8078 jano Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Its very annoying when the companions all get swept off because they didn’t follow you to the other side of the platform, this will always cause a wipe because you dont have enough damage to kill souls fast enough. In my opinion your companion should never be more than ten feet away from you, tethered to you almost.
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    jano#8078 said:

Its very annoying when the companions all get swept off because they didn’t follow you to the other side of the platform, this will always cause a wipe because you dont have enough damage to kill souls fast enough. In my opinion your companion should never be more than ten feet away from you, tethered to you almost.

If you notice - since FBI rolled out the dungeons all seem to be companion killers. I think this was their original lead up to the bonding nerf.

The turtle, the platform guy in MSPC, and the final boss in Tomb.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

jano#8078 said:

I have learned how to not depend on my companion for survival. I run chult on my GF and CW all the time without bondings. It helps you learn where to place your stats to improve your character so when your companion does die, you are still somewhat effective.

To many players rely on their companion for Critical Strike stat and that is never a good thing; that and your RI stats should be on you with your companion flushing out what you are missing. The primary stat your companion should provide you is power.

Building my character this way, even if my companion dies I still effective. I still see plenty of critical hits and that allows me to continue to produce damage, yes I'm losing some power from my companion not being there but it is not as bad as losing those critical hits or missing 10-15% of my RI.

I originally was on dumping my crit stat into my companion than ran into a CW that did all crit on him with his RI and than stacked power on his companion. In FBI when all other DPS lost their companions he surpassed even a 16K GWF due to how he built his character. I now follow that build and it has paid off in T9, FBI and MSPC.

If you don't want to lose the stats, invest into an Augment and standard Runestones for those boss fights where your companion may jump off the board.
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    GWF Unstoppable bug - once you get scared by a Yuan-Ti Zealot, there's a chance you won't be able to go unstoppable. Relog to fix.

GWF Unstoppable bug - once you get scared by a Yuan-Ti Zealot, there's a chance you won't be able to go unstoppable. Relog to fix.

Yesterday maintenance should have fixed that. I know a GWF had the same issue but yesterday when it happened he was fine.
    miguelfdz said:

Potion, To fix the drunken screen just relog. You can only have 1 color per tong run, if you do several in a row you can get all the colors, this effect will fade out in some hours so it's not easy to have them all. Also steping on the rigth parto of the trap in a future run with an old potion will take out the color.

Rerun T9 and do the potion again as well; this will remove the blur and colored animal that you previously had; only if you get the appropriate potion to remove it. I had this one me for a good 20 minutes due to rerunning T9 a second time. I got the potion glitch due to being kicked out of the game due to my ISP and losing internet for about 5 minutes.
  • designedbyrng#4319 designedbyrng Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    @adinosii
    The late balls bug can be solved by just re-entering the arena. There is a portal for going back into the arena after Orcus has died.
  • jano#8078 jano Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    > @mebengalsfan#9264 said:
    > Its very annoying when the companions all get swept off because they didn’t follow you to the other side of the platform, this will always cause a wipe because you dont have enough damage to kill souls fast enough. In my opinion your companion should never be more than ten feet away from you, tethered to you almost.
    >
    > I have learned how to not depend on my companion for survival. I run chult on my GF and CW all the time without bondings. It helps you learn where to place your stats to improve your character so when your companion does die, you are still somewhat effective.
    >
    > To many players rely on their companion for Critical Strike stat and that is never a good thing; that and your RI stats should be on you with your companion flushing out what you are missing. The primary stat your companion should provide you is power.
    >
    > Building my character this way, even if my companion dies I still effective. I still see plenty of critical hits and that allows me to continue to produce damage, yes I'm losing some power from my companion not being there but it is not as bad as losing those critical hits or missing 10-15% of my RI.
    >
    > I originally was on dumping my crit stat into my companion than ran into a CW that did all crit on him with his RI and than stacked power on his companion. In FBI when all other DPS lost their companions he surpassed even a 16K GWF due to how he built his character. I now follow that build and it has paid off in T9, FBI and MSPC.
    >
    > If you don't want to lose the stats, invest into an Augment and standard Runestones for those boss fights where your companion may jump off the board.

Running a campaign and successfully finishing the end boss phase are two totally different animals
    Post edited by jano#8078 on
  • mullymoomoo#7130 mullymoomoo Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    The loss of companion off the platform in the final boss can be fixed by opening your inventory to the companion tab and drag/drop an inactive companion to an empty slot. Your companion will reappear. You don't need to touch your summoned or active pets. Have done this several times. Just make sure before you start the final boss that your inventory is set to the companion tab to save a few seconds.
  • danpio1217#3410 danpio1217 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    adinosii said:

The missing chests

This is probably the most annoying bug of them all, where you don't get the chests after killing Ras Nsi. The general consensus seems to be that you can reduce the chance of this happening by slowing down or just stop attacking him once he goes down to 2-3%, and just let him be swept off. This bug has gotten developer attention, but there is no ETA on a fix.
    We gotten the bug many times even when leaving him ~5% health.
    jano#8078 said:

> @mebengalsfan#9264 said:

> Its very annoying when the companions all get swept off because they didn’t follow you to the other side of the platform, this will always cause a wipe because you dont have enough damage to kill souls fast enough. In my opinion your companion should never be more than ten feet away from you, tethered to you almost.

>

> I have learned how to not depend on my companion for survival. I run chult on my GF and CW all the time without bondings. It helps you learn where to place your stats to improve your character so when your companion does die, you are still somewhat effective.

>

> To many players rely on their companion for Critical Strike stat and that is never a good thing; that and your RI stats should be on you with your companion flushing out what you are missing. The primary stat your companion should provide you is power.

>

> Building my character this way, even if my companion dies I still effective. I still see plenty of critical hits and that allows me to continue to produce damage, yes I'm losing some power from my companion not being there but it is not as bad as losing those critical hits or missing 10-15% of my RI.

>

> I originally was on dumping my crit stat into my companion than ran into a CW that did all crit on him with his RI and than stacked power on his companion. In FBI when all other DPS lost their companions he surpassed even a 16K GWF due to how he built his character. I now follow that build and it has paid off in T9, FBI and MSPC.

>

> If you don't want to lose the stats, invest into an Augment and standard Runestones for those boss fights where your companion may jump off the board.

Running a campaign and successfully finishing the end boss phase are two totally different animals

You are right and I have ran FBI, MPSC and T9 successfully on my CW as a DPS after my companion was knocked off the ledge. Like I said, my damage does drop but not like other DPS that depend so much on their companion for crit or armor pen stats. Currently my crit chance and resistance ignore are 70%+ without bonding; once I start to upgrade my enchantments beyond R9 my CW will eventually have around 80%+ crit and 85% RI without bonding. This way, the only stat I need to work on for my CW is power from my companion.

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Whithers control station : Players cannot use single target or target the at 1st phase whithers "glass".
    Only aoe attacks work.
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    > @mamalion1234 said:
    > Whithers control station : Players cannot use single target or target the at 1st phase whithers "glass".
    > Only aoe attacks work.

sometimes I can't seem to target it and I need to aim upwards at it, as if I'm playing a fps. I've also been able to get caught inside of the station before it drops down the first time.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User

You are right and I have ran FBI, MPSC and T9 successfully on my CW as a DPS after my companion was knocked off the ledge . Like I said, my damage does drop but not like other DPS that depend so much on their companion for crit or armor pen stats. Currently my crit chance and resistance ignore are 70%+ without bonding; once I start to upgrade my enchantments beyond R9 my CW will eventually have around 80%+ crit and 85% RI without bonding. This way, the only stat I need to work on for my CW is power from my companion.

Yea right, this has a strong barnyard odor to it. If not an outright lie this is completely leaving out pertinant details that would be necessary to make this happen.

FBI and MPSC no problem, it just takes patience. The only way this happened with T9G was either before the mod and/or you were completely carried by support that was able to make up for your lack of DPS. A fully capable CW with all rank 13s as DPS and a present pet can barely do it, and is very much less capable of it than a GWF or TR with the same rank gear.

After your pet falls off in the final boss of T9G at 70% arm pen you aren't doing enough damage to anything in there to be effective, especially with rank 9 enchants. Extraordinary claims take extraordinary evidence.. and this is going to take some provably undoctored video to come close to sufficient evidence.

It IS good to balance your stats onto your character where possible. However the advantages there do not provide near the benefits that you claim.
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    krzrsms said:

You are right and I have ran FBI, MPSC and T9 successfully on my CW as a DPS after my companion was knocked off the ledge . Like I said, my damage does drop but not like other DPS that depend so much on their companion for crit or armor pen stats. Currently my crit chance and resistance ignore are 70%+ without bonding; once I start to upgrade my enchantments beyond R9 my CW will eventually have around 80%+ crit and 85% RI without bonding. This way, the only stat I need to work on for my CW is power from my companion.

Yea right, this has a strong barnyard odor to it. If not an outright lie this is completely leaving out pertinant details that would be necessary to make this happen.

FBI and MPSC no problem, it just takes patience. The only way this happened with T9G was either before the mod and/or you were completely carried by support that was able to make up for your lack of DPS. A fully capable CW with all rank 13s as DPS and a present pet can barely do it, and is very much less capable of it than a GWF or TR with the same rank gear.

After your pet falls off in the final boss of T9G at 70% arm pen you aren't doing enough damage to anything in there to be effective, especially with rank 9 enchants. Extraordinary claims take extraordinary evidence.. and this is going to take some provably undoctored video to come close to sufficient evidence.

It IS good to balance your stats onto your character where possible. However the advantages there do not provide near the benefits that you claim.
    Depends on which CW tbh... but yeah the claim that he has 70% RI and crit chance with R9s smells like HAMSTER. I'm 17k - stocked up on R13s, and I'm trying to drop as much arp and crit from the pet and put it onto me so I don't have to rely on it and I have 20-21k crit (65-67%, cant recall) and about 60% RI.
    edited March 2018

krzrsms said:

Depends on which CW tbh... but yeah the claim that he has 70% RI and crit chance with R9s smells like HAMSTER. I'm 17k - stocked up on R13s, and I'm trying to drop as much arp and crit from the pet and put it onto me so I don't have to rely on it and I have 20-21k crit (65-67%, cant recall) and about 60% RI.
    I'm full Primal Gear that is all critical strike and aromor pen including using the armor pen primal ring. I have three artifacts that have both critical strike and armor pen. I'm using mostly azures to max out my critical chance and using the 1K Crit and 1K armor pen mount. That is how I get the stats, it has nothing to do with the type of CW I am. I get the same stats as MoF or a SS. The only difference is my Crit Sev and not my crit chance.

Having a DC as my main it was easy to farm 5 character primal gear. My DC maxs out her seals in 2-3 days easily. Lately because I see no point in wasting AD on legendary keys I simply only open the regular chest.

Since my post I have made quite a bit of change on my character for enchantments. I went full on brutals and currently ranking up to R11. I dropped my armor pen down and let my comp pick up the difference. My crit chance dropped a tad, as well.

Once I get all of my enchantments up to R13 I will adjust him once again. I'm still playing around with my CW and with the way things look for mod 13 I may put him on hold for my HR that already does almost equal damage to my CW and that character is barely over 13K IL. and only using moderate enchantments.

• krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User

I'm full Primal Gear that is all critical strike and aromor pen including using the armor pen primal ring. I have three artifacts that have both critical strike and armor pen. I'm using mostly azures to max out my critical chance and using the 1K Crit and 1K armor pen mount. That is how I get the stats, it has nothing to do with the type of CW I am.

Yes.. thats how people get armor pen. Captain obvious, is obvious. ..and the highlighted portion works as further proof that you don't know what you are talking about. The different types of CW have significantly different DPS output no matter who is running them and with what gear.