test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC]Game Crash - Suspect DX11

veepeezaveepeeza Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Hi guys. Had this problem for quite some time, thought I'd post here as a last resort.

For some reason my game has been crashing since the 'swap' to Direct X11. Running the game in Safe Mode seems to solve the issue, but any other setting crashes the game after +-5 minutes of play (seems random) with a Direct X error message (sadly I've not saved it, but it was something along the lines of Direct 3D hanging/D3D device not responding).

I've tried many fixes (including the ones found in this forum and on Steam discussion pages, as well as those I've found through Google) to no avail.

I'd like to know if the command line command -d3d9 still does anything? I doubt it, but thought I'd check. If i can force the game to run Dx9 I think it may solve my problem, but as far as I'm aware this isn't possible with the current version?

PC Specifications:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64b

i5 - 3570k
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
Radeon R7 360 (worst mistake I've ever made was swapping from nVidia to Radeon, but don't think this is the cause of the issue, as other games work fine - as long as they don't run DX11).

Evident by running both Warframe and Path of Exile in Dx9 mode vs Dx11 mode, as the latter also causes crashes in those games.

Any ideas? I don't mind playing in Safe Mode, but hard to enjoy new content when everything is this ugly! :)

Thanks in advance! Will update if I get the same error message with aforementioned message.

Comments

• Options
    ibz4ez#9773 ibz4ez Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    I haven't had crashes quite as frequently as you. But on both my devices running windows 8.1 and windows 10, game crashes have occurred but only on my HR character. I suspect, however, that this crash (and often system crash) is because of an error generated within the keybind registrar of the game engine as opposed to DX11... despite that, this only started happening after DX11 was implemented.

In my case, this happens specifically when quickly swapping or using lots of encounter powers within a 1-2s timeframe. I don't believe that this is a driver issue with any input device however, as the crash has been caused by both a laptop integrated keyboard, mechanical and non mechanical keyboard as well.

I also don't think that this is a windows related error as no such crash occurs when typing, which handles a lot more key-presses per second than the game engine does.

I'm also pretty sure it's only a HR Trapper related bug as I log no where near the number of key-presses per second on any of the other classes or builds.

Point is, something in the DX11 update has seemingly changed the way the game engine interacts with the computers drivers that causes an error on a certain number of key-presses per second (Also includes mouse inputs).

So if the OP notices that this crash occurs for them after seemingly pressing keys, please let me know.

• Options

I haven't had crashes quite as frequently as you. But on both my devices running windows 8.1 and windows 10, game crashes have occurred but only on my HR character. I suspect, however, that this crash (and often system crash) is because of an error generated within the keybind registrar of the game engine as opposed to DX11... despite that, this only started happening after DX11 was implemented.

In my case, this happens specifically when quickly swapping or using lots of encounter powers within a 1-2s timeframe. I don't believe that this is a driver issue with any input device however, as the crash has been caused by both a laptop integrated keyboard, mechanical and non mechanical keyboard as well.

I also don't think that this is a windows related error as no such crash occurs when typing, which handles a lot more key-presses per second than the game engine does.

I'm also pretty sure it's only a HR Trapper related bug as I log no where near the number of key-presses per second on any of the other classes or builds.

Point is, something in the DX11 update has seemingly changed the way the game engine interacts with the computers drivers that causes an error on a certain number of key-presses per second (Also includes mouse inputs).

So if the OP notices that this crash occurs for them after seemingly pressing keys, please let me know.

Hi ibz4ez - unfortunately my crashes happen during randomly. Sometimes I'll be in the game for less than 2 minutes, having only mounted before the crash happens (no use of powers/etc).

On a more positive note, I've managed to update to Direct X 11.1 and since then have experienced only one crash in about 12 hours worth of play. Seems to have solved the issue. In fact, even my Warframe runs better since disabling DX10/11 (but only after updating to 11.1).

Hope this can help someone else around, mods can lock this post as it seems to be solved.
  • Options
    milijakralj#4671 milijakralj Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Is there any other solution to this problem other than switching to DirectX 11.1? If not then Im probably delete game and move on, I installed this few days ago and ever since I did I keep getting Fatal Error:Direct3D driver returned error code. Doesnt matter what I do, run quests, try skirmish, dungeon, it always crash, sometimes even crashes during moving to different map. This the only game I play that have this issue, so I dont think the problem is on my side?

Here is the screenshot of the message when game crashes: https://prnt.sc/gmfwxy
  • Options
    skandranon68skandranon68 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Guys, since yesterday I keep on having problem with getting in NW. I digit my password..... and nothing happens!!!!! the patch/start button never appears and yesterday kept saying it could not reach the server
    Yet I navigate internet without probs
    suggestions?
    thanks
  • Options

Is there any other solution to this problem other than switching to DirectX 11.1? If not then Im probably delete game and move on, I installed this few days ago and ever since I did I keep getting Fatal Error:Direct3D driver returned error code. Doesnt matter what I do, run quests, try skirmish, dungeon, it always crash, sometimes even crashes during moving to different map. This the only game I play that have this issue, so I dont think the problem is on my side?

Here is the screenshot of the message when game crashes: https://prnt.sc/gmfwxy

Yes, this is exactly what I got. You could try running the game with the -d3d9 switch, but as far as I'm aware that does nothing (I still use it just in case :P) - but since upgrading to 11.1 I've had no DirectX related crashes at all.

@skandranon68 bud this isn't the right post for your problem, you should probably create a new thread for that.
  • Options
    dualc2012dualc2012 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Ohhh, i realy like this post.. why u may ask?, .. i should tell u .. i have the realy same problem.. i got errors telling me DirectX has stop working and my craphics drivers stop working and such stuff. So one thing i will not stand for is the fact it's the PC's false in this manner, it's more a Graphic Card / driver issue. SOOO plz complain and maybee the developer do somthing about it. I can tell i realy like this game after played WoW for many years.. But after having so many crashes even doing NOTHING in the game (poking around in inventory for example), i realy try to find another game like this to play insteed, cose u DEVELOPERS ... yes U.. who make this game, .. it's realy SUCK to play a game who throws u out in windows whan u do nothing in the game, .. or loading a part or going into ur inventory .. or somthing more simple. I realy hate it,. and if u guys read around in the forum ... MANY have the same issues, soo plz fix it...
  • Options
    doctordnadoctordna Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    This is what MS states about this error message: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887A0006
    The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.

Apparently other games besides NWO haven encountered this problem when switching to DX11 back over the past 2 years. This is what the developers came up with over at EA came up with on another BIOWARE game they own. The issue is encountered on high-end Nvidia and AMD GPUs, when a "graphics spike" occurs in the game. Their workaround was to "dumb down" or "underclock" your graphics card.

This error was posted to several gaming forums and apparently current drivers and top of the line graphics cards are not the solution. In my opinion, this is a good example of Microsoft having this universal tool (DirectX) and too many games with old 32 bit code wanting to be top of the food chain. Who is to blame? No one or everyone, as MS is clearly passing the blame to the application for sending "badly formed commands" and the game company blames you the end user for not having the latest version of DirectX drivers. Then you blame the manufacturer of the video card for bad drivers, and they put the blame back on DirectX. Around and around it goes... it hasn't been fixed since 2015 and we are almost to 2018.

I wish you the very best.
  • Options
    trolljerktrolljerk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    fellow windows 7 and amd card user checking in. I am experiencing the exact same issue. i am considering going into the C drive and see if i can launch the game in an older state. any thoughts? (besides new OS lol)
  • Options
    doctordnadoctordna Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    @veepeeza @trolljerk @dualc2012 and any other interested parties; My stepson plays NW and STO on a Windows 7 machine and has this as the solution:

Timeout Detection and Recovery is a Windows feature that can detect when the video adapter hardware or a driver on your computer has taken longer than expected to complete an operation. When this occurs, Windows attempts to recover and reset the graphics hardware. If the GPU is unable to recover and reset the graphics hardware in the time permitted (two seconds), your system may become unresponsive, and display the error message “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.” Giving the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature more time to complete (8 seconds) this operation by adjusting the registry value, may resolve this issue. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Exit all Windows based programs. 2. Select Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. 3. Locate to the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers 4. On the Edit menu, select New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit): 5. (a) For 32 bit Windows Select DWORD (32-bit) value. Type TdrDelay as the Name and then select Enter. Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and then select OK. 5. (b) For 64 bit Windows Select QWORD (64-bit) value. Type TdrDelay as the Name and then select Enter. Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and then select OK. 6. Close Registry Editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

He said, it works like a charm. I hope it works for you too.
  • Options
    vinckcardosovinckcardoso Member Posts: 1 New User
    Can anyone play Neverwinter on Windows 10 without having this error on direct3d? I use Windows 10, in the settings it says that I have directx 12. And I can not stay more than 15 minutes in the game without giving direct3d crash, I get stopped doing nothing and still of this error. I tried several solutions and none worked, and I do not know how to upgrade to directx 11.1 or even if that is possible. Safe mode also does not solve the problem, select it but I still have problems. Please can you please help me with this, I do not know what else to do. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    maci4lifemaci4life Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User
    DRdna, it didn't work for me.

win 7 64 bit, 290x vga

i get the device hung, and device removed? error. mainly in certain dungeons but a few during transition screen loading as well.

• Options
    ase#2329 ase Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    any news on Direct3D crash... It is really really annoying. sometimes I can play 8 hours straight (like yesterday when I thought they fixed the problem with the new mod) and then today, I can' t play more than 10 minutes without crash...