test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is with the bots and recent problems with Random dungeons

yburiyburi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Been running most of the day today in randoms with alts to build up some rps and AD and seeing a lot of bots and no ability to vote to kick from instance. It lets you initiate the vote but doesn't prompt the rest of the group. This HAMSTER is annoying as hell. Getting stuck at the end of a dungeon waiting for a bot is a pain and if you are a botter feel free to jump off a cliff.

Comments

• namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    No chance that you ran to the end of the dungeon leaving mobs to undergeared players who then cannot make it to the end on their own?

If it was a bot, you should thank it for triggering the run for which you can get bonus AD. So why not help the poor thing get to the end.
  • yburiyburi Member Posts: 8 Arc User

No chance that you ran to the end of the dungeon leaving mobs to undergeared players who then cannot make it to the end on their own?

If it was a bot, you should thank it for triggering the run for which you can get bonus AD. So why not help the poor thing get to the end.

No I am happy to help those that need it ran back to the start where it died and sat there. Sorry I have no respect for bots in any mmo they dont belong and take away from the playing experience of those stuck with them in a group.
    Maybe you took too long to go back and the guy figured he was going to get kicked anyway and decided to exact revenge by afking. That is exactly what I would do if I was running a lowbie through a dungeon and got left behind like that.
    Could be or could be we were right there with him and didnt get to him in time to rez him and hence the botting program fails. Could be that this was the third time in 5 hours I was in a random queue with a guildless bot wearing HAMSTER gear with no enchants that is clearly a bot as it has problems with pathing and so on. How about instead of making weird lame excuses for this HAMSTER we get the devs to address it again because it's gotten worse lately.
    edited January 2018
    If someone was going to bot, they would use a toon geared enough to be self-sufficient and not be dependent on behavior of humans that may be present. What you are running into are people trying to make AD with their leadership alts and they rely on better geared level 70s to do all the work for them. That's the main problem with making level 70s run leveling dungeons for AD. If these people had to run the dungeon with other weak toons, they would not do it.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    The obvious bots I've seen beeline for the end without actively engaging any mobs.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.

If someone was going to bot, they would use a toon geared enough to be self-sufficient and not be dependent on behavior of humans that may be present. What you are running into are people trying to make AD with their leadership alts and they rely on better geared level 70s to do all the work for them. That's the main problem with making level 70s run leveling dungeons for AD. If these people had to run the dungeon with other weak toons, they would not do it.

No what I am running into and its common right now is people are running botting programs on their toons to get them through these dungeons and get the AD without playing as well as HAMSTER geared toons. In most cases they just follow and do nothing as the dungeon is cleared. If they die and you don't get to them in time they just sit there stuck. It's obvious and annoying as hell. Make it so we can kick by vote right from the start and get rid of the HAMSTER bots.

edited January 2018
    yburi said:

In most cases they just follow and do nothing as the dungeon is cleared. If they die and you don't get to them in time they just sit there stuck.

Sounds like they are just leeches who found the 'follow' command. People don't need a botting program to do that. You should tell them to HAMSTER off and stop following you. Since some of the leveling dungeons can take 10 minutes to travel door-to-door, you have plenty of time to kick them. Unless you are unfortunate and have two leeches sucking on you.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Yes, I too have seen the bots and pointed them out to others during dungeons. I am not racist, so I don't mind the bots so much as other players, as long as they can complete the dungeon. Let's face it, some of you are not so good in there. I only get ticked off at those idiotic bots that get stuck. Here is how you can ID a bot in the game;

1. Bots will attempt to walk through walls.
    2. Follow bots follow the nearest player, if you are the close one and stop they come to you like your pet.
    3. They pause a second at each campfire to load the next waypoint.
    4. They will run in a small circle when lost.
    5. They don't fight well at all and jump a lot to avoid obstacles.
    6. Talk to them and ask; $target are you a human? No offense but you play like a bot. (I may ask this in English, Spanish and French) If you are looking at them $target replaces their messed up name in chat.

Still they could end up being a very ignorant human, or someone gave the keyboard to a 5 year old to keep it active, while they are taking a smoker's break. I once asked a player line 6 and he replied no his cat jumped on the keyboard. Don't let cats or 5 year old children play your games for you.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    Bots are not going to go away, all we can do is report them and try to co-exists with the ones that run door to door. At least those ones are finishing the runs quickly with us.

This is my first MMO but everything I hear and read tells me bots are in all MMOs.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Many of you have identified a lot of great points on bot behavior vs. lower level/alt characters but I wanted to chime in that botting remains a priority in terms of identification and how to address that behavior. I'm passing this thread on to the team to keep player discussions fresh/pertinent to our ongoing work.
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I once was running normal gray wolf den with what I believed to be a very new player. I made sure to kill literally everything, so that they couldn't get stuck fighting enemies. Even while killing everything, they got left behind. They wandered around and around in some random part of the dungeon. I still assumed they were a new player so I went back to see what they were doing. They were just wandering around aimlessly. They didn't follow any player in particular, but did eventually end up "following" us to the next room.

Here is where I no longer believed they were a new player. There is a section of Gray Wolf Den that loops. You turn left, enter a portal, take a few turns, cross a small bridge over spikes, and end up back where you started. Once any player has completed this section of the dungeon, no player needs to enter the loop. Even the quest path line ignores this loop after it is completed.

This bot didn't care how many times we jumped up and down at the correct path, or how much we spammed chat. It decided that it needed to go through the loop :trollface: cuz you know... new players obviously know about sections of the dungeon that they have never entered and the quest path or other players aren't leading them into.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    came along lots of them when doing the random 3players dungeon, i go along with one player and when you reach the last boss with another player and the bot was afk all the time and started moving when we queued for boss fights or last boss xD.

also random queue skirmish we are getting a lot of disconnected players or even players leaving the parting and going to pe and disconnecting making the rest of the team waiting 15min till they can kick that disconnected player and ask for reinforcement(someting getting player that will automatically disconnect again, i had to alt+f4 the game it was pissing me off), thishappens when the queue is throne of the dwarven gods or prophecie of madness.
    @nitocris83 I suggest you use a simple random bot check asking the player something. If they do not respond to the question, they are informed to reply within 15 seconds or they will be tossed into a bot holding cell. The bot holding cell is an empty version of the dungeon the bot runs over and over and never gains anything. Any human would read the screen/chat/pop up etc. and respond. Even if the human got accidentally tossed in a bot prison there would be instructions for a human to return back to the dungeon. Bots are clueless and that is how you identify them. I have this vision of 40 or so bots all stuck endlessly looping through the Cloak Tower or Cragmire Crypt. lol
    wb-cenders.gif
  • manufracturemanufracture Member Posts: 92 Arc User

@nitocris83 I suggest you use a simple random bot check asking the player something. If they do not respond to the question, they are informed to reply within 15 seconds or they will be tossed into a bot holding cell. The bot holding cell is an empty version of the dungeon the bot runs over and over and never gains anything. Any human would read the screen/chat/pop up etc. and respond. Even if the human got accidentally tossed in a bot prison there would be instructions for a human to return back to the dungeon. Bots are clueless and that is how you identify them. I have this vision of 40 or so bots all stuck endlessly looping through the Cloak Tower or Cragmire Crypt. lol

This is pure gold!

Sounds like they are just leeches who found the 'follow' command. People don't need a botting program to do that. You should tell them to HAMSTER off and stop following you. Since some of the leveling dungeons can take 10 minutes to travel door-to-door, you have plenty of time to kick them. Unless you are unfortunate and have two leeches sucking on you.

Wait...there is a 'follow' command?

Guess what I will be doing from now on!
    The chat command is /follow or you can get fancy with /follow $target However there are some issues about it. Try this command in PE and you will soon see what I mean. It targets whatever "entity" you are focused on but that could be your own pet and you end up walking in a small circle. Follow cannot detect walls and has a limited range. The faster your target moves the faster you move matching their speed, making the "follow bot" very obvious. A follow bot cannot lead the way.

Most of these just record the location of each campfire and head right for it. I saw the bot play tag with every campfire in the dungeon. Also they will scrape walls reading game coordinates to find their way. What bots cannot do is communicate or have a reasonable conversation. I noticed the botter doesn't bother to doll them up or buy the best weapons. You have to be a dimwit to run a level 70 in low level blue armors and no artifacts, unless you like a challenge in other than low level dungeons.

The dungeon bots can be identified but the solution is to render them useless. A bot going home without pay is quickly discarded.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User

Join the ranks of the "Free Loaders"?

LOL, just joshing you.

• wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Join the ranks of the "Free Loaders"?

LOL, just joshing you.

If U can't beat them...

• snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    sadly the easiest way to know that you just ran with a bot is at the last boss. once you've triggered to door there is no reason a player would run to that trigger but a bot always does.

As for a player not speaking, you're wrong if that's your sole basis for thinking a character is a bot. I've done a number of runs where I tried talking to these low level characters I thought were bots but never got a response so I just blew trough the dungeon watching how they moved on the map they were clearly not bots

Hell, sometimes I don't even talk during a dungeon run.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Just abandon the instance....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    You must also add that until a point in the game a low level toon will be unable to chat. They say level 20 but I have a 70 alt that did no campaigns and each time I run a dungeon I am unable to type into chat. So really there are many reasons why a player wouldnt chat.
    As for me on my main I run thru any low level dungeon killing what mobs in my way. If I read in chat to slow down or what not then I will if not no real point in slowing down.
    My only issue with random level dungeons is well 70 level players shouldnt be doing them regardless. I do for those dungeoneering shards but still. Access to those dungeons should be locked for anyone able to do epics. Outside of that I rather enjoy random ques.
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User

This is pure gold!
    I hope i never get a call (afk) when im in a rnd grp or i have to go to the bathroom....
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    b4t1b4t said:

My only issue with random level dungeons is well 70 level players shouldnt be doing them regardless. I do for those dungeoneering shards but still. Access to those dungeons should be locked for anyone able to do epics. Outside of that I rather enjoy random ques.

I run them because they provide the best AD to time ratio. Random lvling dungeon gives me a 9,085 AD for the first run plus adventurer seals that I can use to buy r5 enchants for RP and protector seals which I use to buy ostorian rings for salvage.
    Where as epic runs earn me 6,785 for the first run and only give protector seals. Now some will argue that epics also drop gear that can be salvaged but the only sure drop is the chest. Nothing like running CN with a not so good team and only getting rare rings from the chest because none of he 3 bosses dropped anything.

This is why we should be able to do solo private random dungeon runs for AD.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    Game become easy mode day by day ( and more easy with mod 13 items). Then we have trash loot in dungeons so new -mid players goal is to farm random dungeon for easy ad to reach a high level( not necessary best in slot) to farm in easy mode new dungeons.
    snotty said:

This is why we should be able to do solo private random dungeon runs for AD.

You do know the main reason they cooked up random queue?
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2018

Yes, I too have seen the bots and pointed them out to others during dungeons. I am not racist, so I don't mind the bots so much as other players, as long as they can complete the dungeon. Let's face it, some of you are not so good in there. I only get ticked off at those idiotic bots that get stuck. Here is how you can ID a bot in the game;

1. Bots will attempt to walk through walls.
    2. Follow bots follow the nearest player, if you are the close one and stop they come to you like your pet.
    3. They pause a second at each campfire to load the next waypoint.
    4. They will run in a small circle when lost.
    5. They don't fight well at all and jump a lot to avoid obstacles.
    6. Talk to them and ask; $target are you a human? No offense but you play like a bot. (I may ask this in English, Spanish and French) If you are looking at them $target replaces their messed up name in chat.

Still they could end up being a very ignorant human, or someone gave the keyboard to a 5 year old to keep it active, while they are taking a smoker's break. I once asked a player line 6 and he replied no his cat jumped on the keyboard. Don't let cats or 5 year old children play your games for you.

I picked out that "I'm not a racist" quote and had to laff. Bots are now awarded "race" status?

*Bots of the universe unite! We demand equal bot game time and status! Up the bot vote!*

I can see the A.nti B.ot D.efamation L.eague forming.....Alan Dershowist expect that bot call any day now!

BennyBot for president!

More serious note....time to stop throwing the "racist" phrase around willy nilly.

A Racist is someone that prejudges someone else's motives or actions or intellectual capacity based on skin tone (race). Yes, there are black racists, brown racists, yellow racists and white racists and any other in between skin tone. You can disagree with my opinion and not be a racist, I can like/dislike you and manner of living and not be a racist. You don't have to pre-apologize for any statement you make or opinion you have defending your non-racist status.

Anyone that labels you a racist for your opinion has lost the argument IMO, they are stating by their utterance, "I am of low intellect, I can't compete with your thought process and it makes me look unintelligent, I will begin calling you names in the hopes that you will be so intimidated, distracted enough defending yourself that you will stop making me look dumb."

Labels of racism are like profanity, a symptom of a weak and unimaginative mind.

Do bots have a work week and get overtime? What about sick leave? Maternity leave (can they even get knocked up?)
    But yes, LOL, stop defaming bots they deserve their electronic rights too! :)
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Its getting more like a 2000AD comic book story every day! [Rights for Robots NOW!]
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    What's going to happen to B.lack L.ives M.atter?

Is B.ot L.ives M.atter going to take over running repeated protests and riots, looting CVS's effiecently for lazy human protesters?
    Is the Bots LM going to be more efficient at baiting/hating law enforcement and claiming rights violations?
    Can Bots even both hands up..do they even have hands....claws..umm bionic enhancements?
    What about stealing BLM moniker? (not to be confused with the other BLM (B.ureaucracy of L.and M.ismanagement)
    Wouldn't there be bot lawyers, bot judges and bot juries? Surely they would be bot biased!

It's happened before:
    WWF (the wrestlers) got the label stole by some tree huggers now it's (wildlife)

NISSAN.com, Mr. Nissan who can trace his lineage back 14 generations got his auto garage and computer repair shops (that pre-existed DatsunUSA's name change to NissanUSA) web domain stolen from him in preference to the auto giant NissanUSA.

PETA (the unethical) rights people stole PETA's web domain from the people who like to hunt animals and eat them (P.eople E.ating T.asty A.nimals) who pre-existed and liked to share hunting, curing and cooking tips and blogged about it.

BLM...you are doomed, the new BLM is going to out compete you and be more efficient at being public nuisances (like the in-game ones are) and will occlude you. Who is far more efficient at being public nuisances? College snowflakes, homeless slackers, community (dis)organizers and paid protesters? Or never sleeping, never eating, never quitting, 24/7 bot running machine protesters?

BLM you best change your name now, move over, the new BLM is going to squeeze you out!
    )
    (I suggest ELM (not the tree) E.very L.ife M.atters....of course there are those pro-lifers.....) oh well :wink: