test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HR PvP mod 14. How to Archer. Updated - tl,dr version.

Comments

• theguiidotheguiido Member Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    jonkoca said:

Strategy. The art of advanced running away.

There comes a time in any archers life, when discretion becomes the better part of valour.

Basically, you need to run away a lot. Here's an easy to follow bullet point list of things to remember.

1) If you are cc'd just spam dodge, you might not die.

2) You're free!!! Flip to melee and hit temporary hitpoints. Don't stop running however. Drop a beartrap in front of you and run over it. Don't stop running.

3) Still not dead..? Well done. Time to think about where to run too.
    a) No-one's following you. In that case just go back to whichever node you were pew-pewing before, or wherever you are needed.
    b) There are a bunch of pissed off toons all trying to kill you. The chief point here is to realise you are almost certainly going to die. However, you have a golden opportunity to kite the hell out of the enemy. Always run toward a node the enemy has already capped, preferably their home base. There is no point leading them to one of your own nodes, because that's where they want to go anyway.

Spam dodge, spam dodge right down to the bone. Hit stealth, either ghost or ambush, whatever is up. When you do, jink 90 degrees and backtrack a bit. Hopefully the enemies will steam ahead. If you're not badly injured, try and kill them if you like, at the very least hit them with disrupt and longstriders to buff your speed and HAMSTER them off more. At this point you want them to follow you.

Use the terrain, circle pillars, go upstairs, take those toons away from the blue nodes and out of action. If you come across any distant enemy toons, potshot them, you'll do more damage to them than you will the guy 10 feet behind you.

c) So you're cornered, your running days are over. Do not go quietly into that good night dear HR, fire an aimed shot right into their nose. You never know, they might die lol.

Everyone realizes in PvP, the more damage you wish to do, the less likely you are too survive.

As someone who just ran with an Archer last night in an A team 5v5 the best thing I recommend to you guys is play around the Archer. Make sure they are getting buffs. Look out for them to see if a GWF, GF, TR, HR, etc, is attempting to focus the Archer. I was giving him a Lion everytime he would get dived, or i'd Bull Charge or interfere the team through harassment of my own powers so they keep the pressure on the Tank instead of the Archer.

If anyone is interested in some gameplay, I have a past broadcast showcasing a test with Archer in the premade I was talking about. It's from my perspective, but focus on what is happening on the node and when people try to run away, or when people fight on it trying to see what the heck is going on!

Archer is both irritating, and lethal! Lol.

https://twitch.tv/videos/222438335

34:22 is where you will see the Archer in action.
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221446/the-future-of-the-gf/p1 Existing Problems Still In The Guardian Fighter

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/12984912m
    Feat Changes I'd like to see in The Guardian Fighter
  • teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    Hmmm
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Okaaay, swapped all my defence slot radiants for silveries and finally hit 50% deflect. Dropped the defence boon for hitpoints to give me a modest 180k HP. Power still at 40k+, crit steady at 80% and a bit, arpen varying between 70 and 93%. Thought about a final respecc to take some of the damage/heal on deflect boons, but then thought screw it, if I'm getting hit, I'm doing something wrong anyway. Dunno, I'll think about it.

My god, an archer who can give a punch, and take a punch. Who knew lol..? I've missed having a decent pvp build for my main for the last couple of mods, like an itch I couldn't scratch, pve is fun sure, but pvp is a whole other thing.

I believe I am finally done.
    Post edited by jonkoca on
    No idea what my toon is now.
    Hah, just got back into the top 20 pages after a run of bad matches, but looking at the pages above I think I've just cracked the top 10 in total number of kills. Not bad for a 3 week old build.
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

Okaaay, swapped all my defence slot radiants for silveries and finally hit 50% deflect. Dropped the defence boon for hitpoints to give me a modest 180k HP. Power still at 40k+, crit steady at 80% and a bit, arpen varying between 70 and 93%. Thought about a final respecc to take some of the damage/heal on deflect boons, but then thought screw it, if I'm getting hit, I'm doing something wrong anyway. Dunno, I'll think about it.

My god, an archer who can give a punch, and take a punch. Who knew lol..? I've missed having a decent pvp build for my main for the last couple of mods, like an itch I couldn't scratch, pve is fun sure, but pvp is a whole other thing.

I believe I am finally done.

Ha ha you are almost at the same stats I am :)

I was keeping them fairly quiet. But you do have more Arm Pen and Power than me but my Enchants are all R11. I have Deflect at about 50% too and Life Steal at 20%.

For the PvP Archer loadout you do want to take the Heal on Deflect Boons and every boon that has hit on Deflect. I have actually won a few battles by the enemy killing themselves off my reflections... It does not happen often but when you just about survive with a few HP and the enemy is down you know it was worth it.

As you are using Shadowclad, like me, this also adds to Deflect etc. You dont want to take it too much past 50% though otherwise sometimes you dont build up your 8 stacks + a stun.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited January 2018
    Okay, I'll respecc into the deflect boons, give TRs something to think about maybe lol. Cheers wdj40.

Tbh, not convinced about shadowclad, it seems to expire too often to be useful, missing 8 deflects in a row to get the stealth effect has a really low possibility at 50% deflect chance. Like a half times a half times a half times a half...... My calculator says about 2 chances in a thousand lol. Am I understanding the tool tip right..?
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    ya non applicable to mount speed bonus x 2 cause there is none .. was referring when stacking/ compounding other bonuses of the same type you can get more bang for you buck by stacking a purple 3 slot mount bonus and a blue 2 slot mount bonus of similar effects with different names .. this will apply if you are trying to stack 2 deflection on healing mount bonuses for example
    Survivor's Blessing (Whenever you Deflect an attack, you are healed for 3% of your maximum Hit Points over 4 seconds.
    and Survivor's Gift (Whenever you Deflect an attack, you are healed for 1.2% of your maximum Hit Points over 4 seconds.)

will give more bang for you buck and less diminishing returns by mixing then using/ stacking x2 Survivor's Blessing
    but of course you lose some of the insignia stat of ~+200 something by mixing and 3 set and a 2 set bonus
    edited January 2018
    Hmm, after doing a bit of intarwebz research into shadowclad, seems it's kinda better if you run it with a low deflect build. That way you get up to 32% increased DR, a blip on your deflect stat whatever it is, followed by stealth.

I can see why now this is a good choice for GFs, pure for pve tanks, trans for pvp, they build the stacks with shield, and attack when the stealth kicks in.

Think I'll drop lonewolf for seekers again, or go back to barkshield perhaps. Argh, wish there was more choice with armor enchants.
  • thatsmeaswellthatsmeaswell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 60 Arc User
    Shadowclad is perfect for high defense /low deflect builds. I fear that if you decrease your base deflection so much that shadowclad would proc consistently, you are long dead before because you took too much damage in the process of building up stacks.
    By the way, shadowclad belongs, at least for me, in the same category as ring of the cursebringer, invisibility rings, sandy pants and all the other broken stuff that people use to get a more than unfair advantage in battle. Only thing which is worse are drains
    Yeah, it's kinda on my naughty list as well tbh. But I was so squishy I began to let my principles slip lol. Back to barkshield, upping deflect seems to have cured my insta-death problem anyways.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User

Shadowclad is perfect for high defense /low deflect builds. I fear that if you decrease your base deflection so much that shadowclad would proc consistently, you are long dead before because you took too much damage in the process of building up stacks.
    By the way, shadowclad belongs, at least for me, in the same category as ring of the cursebringer, invisibility rings, sandy pants and all the other broken stuff that people use to get a more than unfair advantage in battle. Only thing which is worse are drains

actually shadowclad is good for all those classes stacking deflect rating. on my tr i have 80/85% deflect (some of this thanks to around 12k deflect).
    shadowclad is doing is job great. it s no rare to see 5-6 stacks much rarer to get the stealth bonus.
    btw with my setup even only a single stack gives me 4% more deflect.
    i see you are tankier lately jon
    edited January 2018
    Yes lol, now it takes two sneezes to kill me. Still unsure about shadowclad, I'm wondering if it shines when you're cc'd, stacking quickly to 8 and boom, invisibility and release..?

Hard to notice really in PvP, because at that moment I'm usually frantically button mashing.
    edited January 2018
    Well then maybe up to pure its decent, after that its banned on blacklist.
    rayrdan said:

actually shadowclad is good for all those classes stacking deflect rating. on my tr i have 80/85% deflect (some of this thanks to around 12k deflect).
    shadowclad is doing is job great. it s no rare to see 5-6 stacks much rarer to get the stealth bonus.
    btw with my setup even only a single stack gives me 4% more deflect.
    i see you are tankier lately jon
    Thats just what i meant, to proc the invisibility you need to have a low base deflection else its only to increase already high deflection. This may be ideal for tr build with that high deflect severity but with only 50% as other classes have i think there are more useful ones (always under the assumption that you dont want the stealth proc) If there was a way to increase deflection severity on hr i would consider it to use by myself, at least up to pure (or wichever rank before the ability to proc stealth comes into play). So far, ill stick to my elven battle although it may not be bis. I tried barkshield but since i have the suicidal tendency to engage close range fights there were no barks most of the time so i sold it again.
    And furthermore, i think that shadowclad is one of the most ugly enchants only topped by briartwine (from which it derives optically) and the christmas tree bowl negation and the red latex suit bloodtheft. Of course thats highly subjective and off topic
    jonkoca said:

Yes lol, now it takes two sneezes to kill me. Still unsure about shadowclad, I'm wondering if it shines when you're cc'd, stacking quickly to 8 and boom, invisibility and release..?

Hard to notice really in PvP, because at that moment I'm usually frantically button mashing.

Is deflection not deactivated when youre cced? Or holds this true only for certain types of cc?

jonkoca said:

Is deflection not deactivated when youre cced? Or holds this true only for certain types of cc?
    you cant deflect only when proned
    rayrdan said:

jonkoca said:

you cant deflect only when proned
    Thx, learned something again
    Ok with regards to Shadowclad there are a few little hidden secrets with it that make it really good.

For instance it can proc when you hit an enemy not just when you get hit. Basically when you hit an enemy and they reflect some of that damage back at you you get a stack. This allows you to have increased Deflect and Defence when attacking from range building up stacks.

Sometimes it will trigger while you are just plugging away at enemies... this is awsome as no-one can see you and you get 4 seconds of cc immunity and untargetable status. I have been fighting Tanks, DC's and TR's and watching them look around for where hidden Aimed Shots are coming from is quite funny. You can also get quite a lot of attacks off in 4 seconds usually enough to drop an enemy.

Even though the stun and daze triggers and goes on cool down for 30 seconds... You can still build up to 8 stacks of SC for the increased Defence and Deflect.

SC does not actually increase your Deflect % chance. It actually increases the Deflect number stat (which then increases Deflect chance %)... So the higher this number is the more Deflect you will get per stack. Lone Wolf and Pathfinders Action increase your Deflect % not your Deflect stat number. You just need to work out a sweet spot but even with high Deflect SC will still trigger the stun and daze fairly often in PvP :)
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited January 2018
    I dunno, ran a few matches with shadowclad, ran a few matches with t.bark. Still died a lot. Bottom line is I guess in PvP armor enchants are fairly useless whichever you choose. None of them will save your life much beyond a few seconds if you get focused.

Barkshield is great in PvE where the hits are usually high but infrequent, giving you time to build up 4 stacks easily, but pvp, with so many little attacks constantly flying around, bark is pretty much exhausted as soon as you come down off spawn.

Guess I'll keep shadowclad after all.

Sometimes wish I'd never sold my t.fireburst. At least it looked cool.
    edited January 2018
    "SC does not actually increase your Deflect % chance. It actually increases the Deflect number stat (which then increases Deflect chance %)... So the higher this number is the more Deflect you will get per stack. Lone Wolf and Pathfinders Action increase your Deflect % not your Deflect stat number. You just need to work out a sweet spot but even with high Deflect SC will still trigger the stun and daze fairly often in PvP :)"

Wow, thx dude, you are absolutely right. I just checked and in the english description it clearly says that it adds the % to your deflect rate. unfortunately in the german description it says that it adds the % to the deflect just the way as it is described in the pack description. So its a localization issue, maybe i should switch to english language to avoid such mistakes
    So this means if i have 5k deflection and a pure shadowclad adds 10% per hit this amounts in 5500 deflection which is an increase in deflection% of around 1,1%, am i right?

So this means if i have 5k deflection and a pure shadowclad adds 10% per hit this amounts in 5500 deflection which is an increase in deflection% of around 1,1%, am i right?

right
    edited January 2018
    Yes, it's about 10%ish at max stacks. More if you have insanely high base deflect.
    Nevertheless, the lower your deflect the higher the chance to proc, this hasnt changed.
    Yep, anyhoo in PvP Shadowclad is amazing against the cc and hits a TR gives out. Whenever I fight a TR or SW I am almost guarenteed to have my Shadowclad 8 stack go off. It is especially good against a TR daily and smoke bomb spam.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    I joined a new Guild and played in a pre-made for the 1st time tonight, Archer is very effective with buffs and heals flying around etc. A combination of Aspect of the Falcon and Aspect of the Pack work really well.

The Off-Hand bonus can be either, if you spend a lot of time on a node with your group then Pack Off-Hand gives you 8% more damage which helps at close range. Or if you are alone a lot or Sniping then take the Falcon Off-Hand to boost the ranged damage.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited January 2018
    Gratz!!! wdj40. Much as I like soloQ, there's nothing better than having teammates who actually know what they're doing

I did a few matches with two of the more famous CWs last night, and we wiped the floor with the opposition lol. :)
    Shadowclad is best for Archer PvP, no brainer. This is a deflect mod so be at 50%+. What would make things better is recovery but there is not a good way to pack some on with out lowering another prized stat. Therefore, hope you are with a good group that recognizes your ability.
    The Legendary Outlaws
    edited January 2018
    I think the news is spreading a little, I don't get so many "get on the node you HAMSTER" pms anymore, I do get quite a few "wtf.s" from tanks after I blow them away though.☺

Spoke too soon. Minime tried to give me a lecture on PvP. Verrrrrry informative it was too.... :neutral:
    Post edited by jonkoca on
    edited January 2018
    @jonkoca, Well, you made the comment that once you are recognized, you are fiercely targeted... Yeah, it's like that.

***Hate me alert*** So when I see @wdj40 I tend to let him breathe until he is either the last standing or he targets me. But it is usually some rogue, tank or pally that cuts through the mob to get at me. It's the norm.

So being able to take some abuse to trigger the Shad is handy. I have not invested in AP gain feats, boons or stack the stat. Can't really add Recovery. It's difficult but I can go toe2toe with some toons but will lose out when Stam is depleted or not able to disappear in time. The fact is, you can be tankier and last longer than reported earlier in this thread. Annoying the enemy off the node is so easy.

Don't listen to some whiney person about being off the node, try to clear a few toons before jumping on it.

So a smarter play style and staying in stealth as much as possible is what keeps you off the camp fire. Most important, do not be predictable. Following stealth, don't reappear in the same spot(s). I tend to suggest where I will be before entering stealth, then bam bam dead, cause they went where I wanted them to go.

Lately its been, HRs are this and that [explicatives], how did you one shot me, hacking, glitching, and others. It's amazing how well this build performs. This past weekend I would change to trapper to mix it up but found I am as tanky so would quickly go back to Arch. If opposing a trapper, I tossed the Elven on. It's to the point the others, combat and trapper, are no longer my 'go-to' builds.

Anyway, happy hunting.

Post edited by teucer#3019 on
    The Legendary Outlaws
    edited January 2018
    Urgh!

So I have been using Aboleth Weapons so far in PvP (as Drowned too old now) and they are pretty decent. But I finally did enough grinding to be able to restore my Mirage Weapons and upgraded them to Legendary.

They are half decent and half rubbish in PvP with an Archer build. They are really good as you can use Ambush and it triggers the 3 little dudes/dudettes to run at the enemy using Rapid Slash. So they draw attention whilst you can move etc. They are also good when you are just plugging away at enemies battling on a node.

But they annoyingly trigger when you use Bear Trap or Stag Heart (the power opposite Commanding Shot). So when no enemies are near by or you are just buffing Temp HP they trigger and do nothing but go on cool-down for 30 seconds. So sometimes I plop a Bear Trap down and the bonus triggers, 7-10 seconds later here comes an enemy and I have lost my bonus.

I think the pro's outweight the con's though, another good thing is doing 10% extra damage against Temp HP or Shields.

The DoT on the Aboleth Weapons I have not even noticed so that must be pretty low damage. But the 2500 Life-Steal is pretty decent and slightly more damage than Mirage Weapons.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe