test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companions still running off to engage enemies that I have not

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
I know there was an attempt at a fix, but for me it's still happening very often. I don't think it's related to dodges: it happened to me several times tonight and none of them involved a recent dodge on my part. Each time, I defeated the group of enemies I was fighting, left combat mode, yet [Sergeant Knox] would then run out to engage enemies that were nearby. They weren't near enough to me to aggro, yet my companion would still go after them. If enemies are far enough away he wouldn't do it, but if they were within a certain distance he would.

- Perhaps it's due to a separate radius applied to my companion? Such a radius would have to be significantly larger than mine from what I've seen.
- Perhaps it's due to a delay between when I lose aggro and when my companion does? Even so, the enemies I've seen him go after should have been out of aggro range for him as well.
- Some other root cause?

It's driving me batty.
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

Comments

• Hmmm yea, I thought my companion was doing that as well.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Is your companion a leader? For my toons, it seems the leader type is way more aggressive than others such as striker. My OP used to use Lillend. A Lillend!! After she went to pick 3 extra fights in a row one by one in the same site, I benched her and replaced with an Augment.That was before mod 12b. Now, I give my OP a Con Artist. He seems to behave better.
    I have a DC (who has better DPS) that uses Alchemist Experimenter (another leader). He also picks fight.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    This issue is still happening. My companion is a striker and ya when I kill 1 group of mobs i have to be ready because my companion thinks its a god and can not die so it runs up and ya well it dies then I have to worry about a second group. I dont mind alot but it does get annoying and I wish instead of trying to fix this issue they actually figure out why and really fix the issue. Its really getting to annoy me now.
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    The issue they noted as the cause and attempted to fix was related to deflection, as it seems all kinds of things other than attacks are deflecting all the time off everything, and our pets misread this as attacks and look around for a source, attempting to protect us

What zones are you guys experiencing this in?
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    I get it a lot with my fire archon, particularly in chult.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    [To be fair in Chult [Soshenstar River] the MOB aggro range is way higher than elsewhere. Rescuing Scouts I can easily end up with two or three mob groups just by moving around!]
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    From my experience, the mobs have a "notice" range and an "agro" range. If you're in the notice range for too long, they'll agro; but if you just run through, they stay put.

It could be that the Leader Companions are attacking those that notice(d) you instead of just the ones that agroed you.
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User

[To be fair in Chult [Soshenstar River] the MOB aggro range is way higher than elsewhere. Rescuing Scouts I can easily end up with two or three mob groups just by moving around!]

Try having a t-lightning, 6 groups at a time not unusual
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Pretty much end up wiping the entire batiri encampment because they all come at you to die.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Back in MOD2-3 we'd use augments in order to escape the same problem.

I've opened this topic > https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1236491/dinosaur-type-enemies-aggro-is-broken

I've stated my reasons and assumptions there.

I cannot express the magnitude of the cussing I've experienced on Discord from various players when we go to Chult.

If the effect was to annoy more than 100 people, effect is a success.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Bringing this issue up with the team to see if there are any updates/additional info.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    It's definitely not limited to Chult. It's a constant annoyance in the docks area of the River District, for example.
    edited January 2018
    hustin1 said:

It's definitely not limited to Chult. It's a constant annoyance in the docks area of the River District, for example.

They are not the same as far as my characters' companions go. They don't go 'extra' mile to pick fight in River District or anywhere else.

i.e. you and your companion were in a "safe" distance from another mob. Then, suddenly, your companion walks 'slowly' to the mob to pick fight.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    There's one thing both Chult and RD have in common - a quest which advances (percent-wise) based on mob kills.

I've noticed in RD it's 1% gain per mob unless another ally has attracted the attention of the mob. This includes people riding through on their mounts and NPC engagements. That signifies that the mobs' agro lists aren't being cleared properly when the anti-kite (or end of combat) kicks in - similar behavior can be seen by the dragons in WoD.

If Companions have a trigger to attack anything that has an ally on its agro list - the combination would explain the behavior.

Obviously I don't know how this stuff is actually coded in the game, but it might be something to check on.
  • bloodzakjonbloodzakjon Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    glad it's not just happening to me then, as im a guarding fighter with a cleric as a companion, so when he / she goes off fighting stuff on there own, off my field of view and dies and isn't watching my back protecting me, it's more of a pain, but since it's been like it since day one, almost 170 hours now in, i thought it was how it should be until i saw this post / thread etc

i fully understand some of this is coded in, but if it's a fighter type and offensive i'd agree on it, but a purely defensive one then no i don't
  • inugurlinugurl Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    I have also found that the defender companions do this as well. I used to use a legendary mimic on my dc, switched to augment and the problem went away. Didn't see this as much in river but chult has been really bad for it.
    It should go away with an augment. They can't attack.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    If it helps for replication, there's one particular location in Chult where it consistently happens: the 'third' shrine of Ubtao location where either lions or bears spawn, with some Thayans nearby. I can clear the spawn without being aggroed by Thayans, but my companions (Rebel Mercenary and Con Artist) will charge them 100% of the time. It happens on my CW, GF and OP.
    Kill the Thayans, comp goes after the critters. Kill the critters, comp goes after the Thayans.
    eldritchx said:

If it helps for replication, there's one particular location in Chult where it consistently happens: the 'third' shrine of Ubtao location where either lions or bears spawn, with some Thayans nearby. I can clear the spawn without being aggroed by Thayans, but my companions (Rebel Mercenary and Con Artist) will charge them 100% of the time. It happens on my CW, GF and OP.

I have just done that with my HR. My Con Artist did not charge the Thayans when and after I killed the lions.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    For me, a sure-fire place to reproduce it is in the River District: in the Fey area are two spots that are close together where an adventuring party will sometimes appear. The two spots are on opposite sides of the road that leads into Gyrion's area. One adventuring party is trying to break into a building, while the party across the street is trying to open a chest that sits near a tree. When I go after the group at the tree, if when the fight is over I'm standing about where the chest was, my companion will run off and attack a nearby group of spiders, pseudodragons, and dryads 100% of the time. I've tested it with the Rebel Mercenary and Sergeant Knox companions.
    Feedback after extensive testing :

Regardless of the Companion type, the Dinnosaur mobs in Chult will emit an unusual behavior and will venture to great lengths in order to pursue the unwary traveler (you).

The Augment doesn't emit any aggro, whatsoever (this is known for years now and augments were used in certain dungeons in order to skip a certain part of the fight without pulling everything that needn't be pulled (such as the enemies which usually guard a treasure chest which nobody really needed at the time).
    Using the Augments doesn't solve the issue of the extensive attack behavior which happens with the Dinosaur mobs.

The enemies and specifically the dinosaur enemies will show this unusual behavior. I'm talking about the Dinosaur mobs specifically which constantly emit the same behavior.

- Compy

- Deinonychus

- Allosaur

- Velociraptor

- Eotyrannus

(Please note : I'm purposefully excluding the bigger dinosaur mobs since their aggro doesn't seem to be broken to any degree, those are Tyrannosaur and T-rex)

Furthermore, if you are alone without the summoned companion, they will still pursue you even if you pass further away from them. The range diminishes, however, as they are not as willing to pursue the traveler.
    This systematically changes once you summon an Active companion. So, if you are with a companion, the chances of them pursuing you triples. It is irrelevant whether the companion is in the state of attack or just stationary.

(Please note : The tripling is an assumption based on the common distance to which the enemies will be aggro-ed on the map. So, with Companion summoned it's 3/3, but without the companion it's 1/3 the distance. For the sake of portraying how long that is think of it as if regular mobs would attack at 0.1-0.3 / 3 distance).

As it was stated prior in the topic I've mentioned, the developers made the dinosaur mobs to be a bit more aggressive, however their aggression tripling when the companion is summoned is not the part of the plan according to the posts I've received from various people who replied to the topic I've started.

If it is to believe the poster the dinosaur behavior is not WAI and companion's behavior in relation to the dinosaur behavior is most definitely not WAI. according to the post, the fix to this is currently being worked on.

My opinion : On a side note this has to do with the way that the Dinosaur mobs were made due to their recent addition in the game. Their mechanics/powers/skills are not fine-tuned to accompany the rest of the Creatures in the Neverwinter who can be found on various map locations. As a developer myself I'm pretty sure that this has to do with the integral distance relation of the monster type itself, rather than the entire monster array in the Chult (Tigers and Spiders dwell on the one monster tree, Dinosaur dwell on another, and they all get their variables from a master tree). If I am correct, it's a minor issue and it can be fixed rather fast giving the playerbase some relief and a fun time hunting.

Thanks,
    N.
    True Neutral
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    As most of us know, the game core was developed using Cryptic's Star Trek Online. It is my opinion they failed to bring along the better part of that system where you could issue commands to your team (4 pets) that ranged from how to behave and even where to stand. In that prior version of the engine core, you could set waypoints, set the attack stance, or allow the pet to react of its own design. Worse yet apparently we have such a low charisma score that only 1 of our retainers is willing to follow us into battle. Back in my old table top days, I had at least 3 in the D&D I could talk into following me to certain death.

The link below shows the details.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Away_team#Control
    wb-cenders.gif
  • markeen#2032 markeen Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    This happens on PS4 as well. Con Artist, Fire and Air archons and Turmish Lion all run off to fight whatever. Noticed it first in Dread Ring. The aggro range enemies have in Chult is insane. Can’t fight just one mob. Have to fight the entire area.
    Founder of Knights of Ra guild in Neverwinter PS4. Founder of The Arashikage Clan in Defiance, formally of PlayStation Home.

Regardless of the Companion type, the Dinnosaur mobs in Chult will emit an unusual behavior and will venture to great lengths in order to pursue the unwary traveler (you).

Dinos have a larger aggro zone than any other creature type in the game. This was intended by design in order to make the jungle more dangerous.
  • thegravelnome#9466 thegravelnome Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    Well it's working LOL!
    greywynd said:

Dinos have a larger aggro zone than any other creature type in the game. This was intended by design in order to make the jungle more dangerous.
    Yes, that was established long time ago. Also, by now, most people should know where the dino are and have a route to avoid them. In addition, this has nothing to do with companion attacking mob. The dino mob looks for you regardless you have companion or not.

greywynd said:

Yes, that was established long time ago. Also, by now, most people should know where the dino are and have a route to avoid them. In addition, this has nothing to do with companion attacking mob. The dino mob looks for you regardless you have companion or not.
    @dupeks wrote : "the companion aggro issue was confirmed to be unintended by the devs, they are working on strategies to have the companion tether better to you and also to reduce the aggro interaction with the dinos. No known ETA on fix."

To comment on your opinion, indeed most people do know where dinosaur mobs are situated at, but that doesn't negate the fact that their aggro is way higher if you do have a companion slotted active.
    True Neutral
    edited January 2018

greywynd said:

@dupeks wrote : "the companion aggro issue was confirmed to be unintended by the devs, they are working on strategies to have the companion tether better to you and also to reduce the aggro interaction with the dinos. No known ETA on fix."

To comment on your opinion, indeed most people do know where dinosaur mobs are situated at, but that doesn't negate the fact that their aggro is way higher if you do have a companion slotted active.
    I thought the topic of this thread is about companion runs to mob and not about dino mob runs to traveler.

I thought the topic of this thread is about companion runs to mob and not about dino mob runs to traveler.

Both issues needs to be addressed due to both being equally important and aren't mutually exclusive since both are triggered by aggro of the mobs.

If you ran tests to check this at various distances from the mob types, you'd find this to be true. On a side note I'd welcome your cooperation and agreement rather than constant undermining on the issues that affect all of us in terms of the gameplay. Thank you.
    True Neutral