test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Hunt Trophy drop working as expected?

Comments

• eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    You can indeed get nothing but a blue +1 ring from a hunt you lured. And no one outside your group can get anything, ever.
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Miasmat was indeed out hunting Trexes in Chult last night, gathering data and getting bloody :D
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Venomtail Poison is pretty hard to get. It's a major sticking point for my farming group of friends or we'd already have a couple more KoS lures by now. We spend hours killing the groups of venomtails and there seems to be some kind of cooldown. We usually only get 1 drop per hour each no matter how many rare monsters we actually kill.

I personally have not run into any issues with T-rex not dropping fangs.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• randomdigits#2166 randomdigits Member Posts: 700 Arc User

We spend hours killing the groups of venomtails and there seems to be some kind of cooldown. We usually only get 1 drop per hour each no matter how many rare monsters we actually kill.

I am not sure if this is a cool down or an RNG-related issue. One fact in favor of cool down theory is that I have never seen multiple trophies drops from the same group of rare monsters, except for Ogres, where I've seen it twice now.

For venomtail, smilodon, eotyrannus and batiri mobs the spawn rate for me is ~ 1 out of 15 times and the trophy drop rate is ~ 1 out of 5 times they are killed. For Ogres It is more like spawn 1 out of 3, drop 1 out 3. I don't have much experience with farming Bigclaw but I think their are in the first group too.

My personal table of values, based on how easy it is to farm (which depends on mob locations and drop rates) would be:
    Trex claw: 1
    Ogre femur: 1.5
    Bigclaw pincer: 4
    Batiri trinket: 5
    Venomtail venom: 6
    Smilodon tooth: 6
    Eotyrannus Talon: 7
    Ana Taletreader (CW) / Friend of Casual Gamers

We spend hours killing the groups of venomtails and there seems to be some kind of cooldown. We usually only get 1 drop per hour each no matter how many rare monsters we actually kill.

I am not sure if this is a cool down or an RNG-related issue. One fact in favor of cool down theory is that I have never seen multiple trophies drops from the same group of rare monsters, except for Ogres, where I've seen it twice now.

For venomtail, smilodon, eotyrannus and batiri mobs the spawn rate for me is ~ 1 out of 15 times and the trophy drop rate is ~ 1 out of 5 times they are killed. For Ogres It is more like spawn 1 out of 3, drop 1 out 3. I don't have much experience with farming Bigclaw but I think their are in the first group too.

My personal table of values, based on how easy it is to farm (which depends on mob locations and drop rates) would be:
    Trex claw: 1
    Ogre femur: 1.5
    Bigclaw pincer: 4
    Batiri trinket: 5
    Venomtail venom: 6
    Smilodon tooth: 6
    Eotyrannus Talon: 7
    I've seen both rares drop trophies quite a number of times, most commonly by Venomtails, in fact.
  • benyrbenyr Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    > @eldritchx said:
    > We spend hours killing the groups of venomtails and there seems to be some kind of cooldown. We usually only get 1 drop per hour each no matter how many rare monsters we actually kill.
    >
    > I am not sure if this is a cool down or an RNG-related issue. One fact in favor of cool down theory is that I have never seen multiple trophies drops from the same group of rare monsters, except for Ogres, where I've seen it twice now.
    >
    > For venomtail, smilodon, eotyrannus and batiri mobs the spawn rate for me is ~ 1 out of 15 times and the trophy drop rate is ~ 1 out of 5 times they are killed. For Ogres It is more like spawn 1 out of 3, drop 1 out 3. I don't have much experience with farming Bigclaw but I think their are in the first group too.
    >
    > My personal table of values, based on how easy it is to farm (which depends on mob locations and drop rates) would be:
    > Trex claw: 1
    > Ogre femur: 1.5
    > Bigclaw pincer: 4
    > Batiri trinket: 5
    > Venomtail venom: 6
    > Smilodon tooth: 6
    > Eotyrannus Talon: 7
    >
    >
    > I've seen both rares drop trophies quite a number of times, most commonly by Venomtails, in fact.

I was going to ask a similar question to this, whilst ive seen double drops from everything except batiri, im convinced there is some mechanic in play that reduces the drop rate after you find so many in a day. To the point im wondering if there is actually a daily cap on lures?
    I usually get a trophy roughly 25% of the time (t rex excluded obv.) But once ive farmed circa 5 or 6 trophies in a day the drop rate falls off the charts. I tested this yesterday when it felt like id stopped receiving lures and i went on an ogre hunt. 30 kills no drop which is unheard of. Anyone else encountered this. Devs is it deliberate?
  • aerthynaerthyn Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I think its bad RNG I'm afraid. We've been in parties with no-one near us and only get a single blue ring fairly frequently.
    Yup, bad luck. I've farmed 12 non-fang trophies on my only toon in a continuous stretch of about 90 minutes before, just switching to new instances at a time when players are logging off to sleep.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    eldritchx said:

I've seen both rares drop trophies quite a number of times, most commonly by Venomtails, in fact.

There are a lot of situations where I'm strongly under the impression that if you're eligible to have an item drop, if you can kill multiple mobs at the exact same time that are eligible to drop that item, you can get multiple items. If the death times are staggered, you're looking at more individualized drop chances and/or cooldowns.

Siege voucher farming works best when you can AoE a bunch of kills at once rather than kill mobs one by one.

The Reclamation Rock quest where you collect 100 note pages and they drop in batches of 1/4/8, if you one-shot an entire pack of mobs and one of them dropped 8 pages, they'll all drop you 8 pages. If the drop is 1 page, they all drop 1 page.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • cattman5cattman5 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Ok. That's for the T-Rex fangs. How about the trophies from the special mobs and then from the hunts? Those are the ones that need the drop rate change. It is just a crazy grind for them right now. How about keep it the same for the special mobs but drop at least one trophy a100% of the time at the hunts!
  • bratleyraybratleyray Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    With the spawns being random, why not just give a drop from every rare mob like the trex. I spent 6 hours farming just one venomtail drop... bought the lure and fought the hunt only to receive a +2 ring... if i wanted useless salvage, i could just go fishing and saved myself the grief of fighting other players doing the same thing as me fighting each other for the rare spawns... this triple layered rng is just horendous to say the least... not to mention you almost need to turn chat of when in chult due to the spamming of people selling these items for superior marks and gmops...they need to be more common...

[The Legendary Outlaws] (Guildhall 20)

• lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

eldritchx said:

There are a lot of situations where I'm strongly under the impression that if you're eligible to have an item drop, if you can kill multiple mobs at the exact same time that are eligible to drop that item, you can get multiple items. If the death times are staggered, you're looking at more individualized drop chances and/or cooldowns.

Siege voucher farming works best when you can AoE a bunch of kills at once rather than kill mobs one by one.

The Reclamation Rock quest where you collect 100 note pages and they drop in batches of 1/4/8, if you one-shot an entire pack of mobs and one of them dropped 8 pages, they'll all drop you 8 pages. If the drop is 1 page, they all drop 1 page.
    If you kill a horde of SKT mobs who drop collect-quest-granting items (barbarians dropping furs, giants dropping food, trolls dropping bones, etc) you can get multiple of the quest items.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

eldritchx said:

If you kill a horde of SKT mobs who drop collect-quest-granting items (barbarians dropping furs, giants dropping food, trolls dropping bones, etc) you can get multiple of the quest items.
    Not all of these are created equal. For a quest-granting collect-the-macguffins item, they can drop until you pick one up, and because the quest-granting item is a macguffin itself, you can pick up all of them that have dropped instead of the game telling you it's unique. But when you're collecting the macguffins and each mob only has a chance of dropping an item, you can try to hedge your drops with mass kills.

I don't believe there's any RNG in the giants dropping food (small favors). One giant = one food. It's only when there's chance involved in your drops that simultaneous kills can help you.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    miasmat said:

We learned that if there are multiple teams involved in the kill, the team that did the most damage all get their fangs. The other teams will only get 1 fang per team.

Very nice! Thank you for solving that mystery...

This is a very interesting observation. I think it generally aligns with my observations about the chances of single vs. double trophy drop (in case of Ogres), as if double drops were independently random with no cool down I would expect to see higher rate of a single trophy drop. Contrary to that I sometimes see killing 6 couple Ogres in a short succession giving no trophy drop.

Now with that theory I should try killing all of the rare mobs all at once (should be fairly easy for a CW) and see if it make an improvements.

P.S. I'm sure developers won't comment on the exact cooldown mechanics since it's probably considered an security (anti-bot) feature.

• lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

Not all of these are created equal. For a quest-granting collect-the-macguffins item, they can drop until you pick one up, and because the quest-granting item is a macguffin itself, you can pick up all of them that have dropped instead of the game telling you it's unique. But when you're collecting the macguffins and each mob only has a chance of dropping an item, you can try to hedge your drops with mass kills.

I don't believe there's any RNG in the giants dropping food (small favors). One giant = one food. It's only when there's chance involved in your drops that simultaneous kills can help you.

Interestingly, each additional quest-granting item counts as a collectible itself - in theory you can collect enough quest-granting furs that as soon as you accept the quest, it completes from all the quest-granting furs in your inventory.

They don't stack, though. Unlike the collectible ones.
    edited September 2017
    For venomtail, smilodon, eotyrannus and batiri mobs the spawn rate for me is ~ 1 out of 15 times and the trophy drop rate is ~ 1 out of 5 times they are killed. For Ogres It is more like spawn 1 out of 3, drop 1 out 3.
    I've done a bit more testing and made several of observations:
    1) Rare mob spawn rate for Eotyrannus is approximately 10% (I observed them spawning 12 out 100).
    2) Trophy drops rate for Eotyrannus is, probably around 20% (I observed 3 drops out of 12 mobs).
    3) Ogre spawn rate is 100 % after you kill a non-Ogre undead mob. Once you kill an Ogre mob it's 100% going to re-spawn as non-Ogre mob, so these mobs are alternating, although re-spawn interval after Ogres is much shorter than after non-Ogres.
    4) Ogre trophy drop rate is around 50%.
    5) Also, at least for Ogres, as long as you don't have a femur in your inventory, more femur trophies will keep dropping off the killed mobs. This means these are not affected by a cooldown.

So it seems like Ogres are designed as a staple hunt target, something you can farm very quickly if you don't have luck with other mobs...

P.S. Loot table on Eotyrannus seems odd: they don't drop anything except, rarely, a trophy, which is rather unusual, so I suspect a minor bug here.

• ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    @miasmat

Okay - so something else wonky happened last night in regards to the nibbly bits required to make lures.

I was on my HR and running through Chult to the House of the Crocodile to unlock the dungeon. I pulled 2 of the placeholder dinos that start with a D (the ones that you kill to get the Eotyrannus to show up).

I got jumped and mentioned in chat "hold on, I got jumped. And not even by any of the good ones"

The Name was the D one. But there were 2 - which at first I assumed meant that someone else had killed the 3rd. But they had the little spine out of the back of their heads.

When I killed them they dropped the Eotyrannus claw.

So after it happened it dawned on me that they Looked like Eotyrannus and there were two of them, but they had the wrong name - still had the placeholder name over their heads.

Then I wondered how many times I ran by what I was looking for because I was visually scanning for the names of the things I was hunting.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

ravenskya said:

Then I wondered how many times I ran by what I was looking for because I was visually scanning for the names of the things I was hunting.

Based on me running a test with killing a hundred of these mobs and never seeing just two of them or dropping a trophy I would guess it does not happen all that often. Maybe an error on the client or in the network layer where server was thinking these are Eotyrannus mobs while client was thinking they are Deinonychus ones.

Btw, I'm not sure there is such a thing as a partially killed monster group. Aren't their resetting once you fully disengage the fight? This is what I've seen happening in dungeons if you die, so my guess it might also be happening in open would instances.

• diloul#3484 diloul Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Inmo, this whole hunt thing really need some love.

• First of all, the 25 extra totems, it's like it was designed for guilds/alliance/group friends.
    I mean we keep spaming " inv hunts, only need totems" but almost no one invit you because of fear of loot ninja'ed
    (ps4 don't have same loots options as pc like " host decide")
    I never was able to win these 25 extra totems by week...

• Then the actual RnGrind'hunt !
    1) runing around, killing mobs, rng chance at a rare respawn ( that eventually will propably be killed by someone else as you are runing around, sumoning mailbox ect...)

2) You finally get a rare spawn and another rng chance at a trophy...

3) There it is, you ran around killings mobs ad nausea and got the trophys to make a lure and oh surprise, it leads to another chance at rng gear while actually hunting...

• The second trophy needed for crafting a lure mostly t-rex fang is too much imho.
    It's already hard enought to hunt other trophys.
    At least make the 1star 1 trophy only to make a lure

• In the end, exept + 5 rings for dcs and a few pieces of gear. ( martyr chest not bad at all vs lifesilk )
    There isn't that much super gear that worth all this grinding process.

• And well the 1 trophy in inventory make little sense but maybe there is a good explanation.

This was my 2 cents, exept for people who made decent profit selling lures and trophys, i fail to see why would i go throught this whole process for very little reward considered the time consumed.

Am i missing something and got the whole thing wrong ?

That said, i'd like to say bravo for the chult design, really looks and sounds nice !
    Post edited by diloul#3484 on
    edited October 2017

I never was able to win these 25 extra totems by week...

As a workaround when I run out of time or out of steam to farm the rare mobs I just go with Ogres. As I mentioned before they are super easy to farm so I can get 15 or more femurs in about 1-1.5 hours. Then I just go to trex farming instance and farm there the needed fangs for the couple of hours. So I actually end up hunting with lures 2 or 3 days a week and then farming trophies till the next week limit reset.

This was my 2 cents, exept for people who made decent profit selling lures and trophys, i fail to see why would i go throught this whole process for very little reward considered the time consumed.

I don't think there are actually too many people (if any) who made a fortune trading lures or trophies... Smop or two for your trophy here or there, sure. But you'd probably spend that Smop to get another trophy you missing another day.

• dragonsbane3dragonsbane3 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    This may sound a bit elitist but considering KoS drops the BiS helm in game atm, 2nd BiS chest, a minimum of +4 rings with a very high chance of +5s. It should be imo a very tedious farm to get those. Sure I agree the RNG sucks but then there is a sense of accomplishment when you finally farm it all up and go kill it. I have personally put in over 400 hours of lure farming so far on PC. Killed KoS over 15 times total, my farm group atm has gotten to the point of all of our alts are geared up from it and we are now selling the drops. At least there is good money from selling his drops atm :)

IMO they need to make more of the games rewards in this manor. Time and effort should equal the best rewards, not a few simple dungeon runs and saving a few seals. But then again seeing how none of mod 12 gear is needed to do any of the content then I have to wonder what is the whole point. I miss having to farm t1's to get the gear to do t2's to get the gear to do t3's. When the game launched it had a much better feel to it with needing certain sets to progress to the next lvl.
    "The Sweet Ain't As Sweet Without The Sour!"
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    So 8 people farming pretty much non-stop in between ToNG runs... 2 of them farmed for a minimum of 16 hours each. This produced exactly 7 venom.

Used all of those and got 1 lure for the pink tiger

No drop from the tiger.

I counted and at one point while I was bouncing back and forth between the two scorpion sets at the top of the map, I killed 5 sets (5 on each spot) before a single venom tail spawned - and dropped nothing.

We are at well below a 1 per hour drop rate.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I've been farming chult for a couple weeks now. only recently have t-rex only given a fang to 1 group member, and I've even experienced not getting a fang when inviting people across instances to come get their own then dropping group to try to make sure we all get a drop.
    for hunt trophies, I'm getting one maybe every 10 kills.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • docsnuggles#6615 docsnuggles Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Farming for lures is like watching paint dry while you are getting a rootcanal done without any anestethics.
    Been farming for them since Chult came live and I am so damn Lucky that I have exactly 1 T3 lure part sofar. The droprates are horrible however you calculate and formulate it.

The fact that non VIP have to run off to yhe city everytime to get either their lure complete or to put it in the mailbox makes the whole hunt nothing more than a huge timesink.
    Or they are dependant on VIP users to summon them a mailbox.

The whole "unique" thing is a horrible idea. I understand they want to set up a certain something to make the game more "vibrant" but making stuff like trophies and fangs unique and actually forcing people (once they also take away the option to store some parts in mail) to run back and forth with trophies, fangs and lures is one of the most horrible idea's out there.

Specially seeing how time consuming it is even now where people use their mailboxes to use as a buffer to be able to run multiple hunts in a row.

ravenskya said:

When I killed them they dropped the Eotyrannus claw.

So after it happened it dawned on me that they Looked like Eotyrannus and there were two of them, but they had the wrong name - still had the placeholder name over their heads.

I have seen that now happening myself with Batiri mob, and I believe once it starts happening it will be happening until you restart the game client.

• osu0148#5585 osu0148 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I've dropped 14 packs of smilodon's in the past 3 days and have had zero drops. I know it's all RNG, but I never had it this bad. I wonder if the RNG changes every day or something for these lure drops? I'm not exaggerating either, I counted lol!
  • edsont#9373 edsont Member Posts: 39 Arc User

I've dropped 14 packs of smilodon's in the past 3 days and have had zero drops. I know it's all RNG, but I never had it this bad. I wonder if the RNG changes every day or something for these lure drops? I'm not exaggerating either, I counted lol!

Today morning, between 8 and 11 am CET I killed 64 eotyranosaurs with no talon drop. Beat that.

• diloul#3484 diloul Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I already said that in others threads but i do NOT farm anything at all.

Concerning hunts i only do a few t rex farms like 1 hour in a week.

I sold quite a lot lures 1 star for gmops.

Doing my daylies chult for boons i sometime come accross rare mobs and get trophies this way.

No way i'll kill mobs ad nausea, i know farming isn't superior to rng and is the best way to get frustated and bored.

Farmers with no lucks should try it sometimes. Run a dunjeon from time to time or a few chult mobs kill from time to time but not farming it like it is some kind of second work.