test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Piercing blade changes and pve

jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
Anyone tested the changes to piercing blade damage..? It is supposed to now be effected by buffs/debuffs, and I was wondering if we've been buffed in Pve, despite the nerf in PvP.
No idea what my toon is now.

Comments

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Lol, no-one knows. Tbh, since the new mod trashed my bonding stats, I've no idea if my damage is up either.

Ah well.
    Lol, yeah, let's hope that's it.
  • eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    It's awesome. I'm able to keep up with trappers that usually beat me. I'd say hang in hand it's about even with trapper. Hopefully archery will have gotten a lot out of it too. I'll have to test.
  • stefoid#1036 stefoid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    isnt piercing blade just 50% of whatever else you have going on?
    Yeah but it's now affected by debuffs. It really does make a difference in my damage. Especially on single target
    eliybeats said:

Yeah but it's now affected by debuffs. It really does make a difference in my damage. Especially on single target

I dont understand the distinction. Isnt it your original hit that is affected by debuffs/whatever and then the PB is just 50%, or are you saying that the original hit is affected by debuffs, then the PB is 50% of that but debuff is applied again? (effectively twice?)

It's probably has whatever current buffs/debuffs are going on applied to it, hard to be sure because my stats are all over the place, so comparing mod12 damage to mod11 damage is pretty much impossible. Act shows it about on par with plantgrowth on the king of spines, at about 15 or 16%, after careful attack.
    Im just going on that whenever I hit a dummy one time, I get two damage values on the screen - one of which is 50% of the other one exactly. I figure if the dummy had DR and deflectionb, the first number would go down, but the 2nd one would remain the same.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited August 2017

eliybeats said:

I dont understand the distinction. Isnt it your original hit that is affected by debuffs/whatever and then the PB is just 50%, or are you saying that the original hit is affected by debuffs, then the PB is 50% of that but debuff is applied again? (effectively twice?)

HR n00b, take analysis knowledge with a grain of salt.

Currently in PvE, Piercing Blade just takes 50% of the hit which procs it and tacks it on as an extra hit.

Here's a combatlog from a decent enough Combat HR I was running with in SP.

These are the top few "normal" hits I pulled from ACT.

These are the top 3 Piercing Blade hits I pulled from ACT.

If we look at the most damage "regular" hit and Piercing Blade hit, our HR's Thorn Strike deals 735,962 damage and then Piercing Blade follows up for 367,981 damage.

735,962/2 = 367,981.

EDIT:

Retroactive derp: the top two Plant Growth hits don't seem to match up with the the second and third Piercing Blade hits.

Apparently it does, but Piercing Blades changes with the amount of debuffs on target right this second?

Not sure how Piercing Blades works.

I'm not sure what to make of the changes exactly, but I can definetly say that Combat HRs are liking the Piercing Blade changes.
    Post edited by rjc9000 on

edited August 2017
    huh. Ive only counted with dummies so I presumed the reason the PB was exactly 50% of the original hit was because dummies dont got DR.

But if you are testing agains mobs it should not be exactly 50%? Unless your original hit also has enough piercing to ignore all target DR I suppose...

Have you got any stats where the original hit was deflected? In that case even if your original hit gets thru all DR the original hit damage should be roughly the same as the PB damage, assuming 50% deflect severity. IF the description of PB is to be believed.

my head hurts
    The problem is your testing on dummies and without any major debuffs going on. The change is awesome. I feel like I don't have to struggle as much now. Before the change I sort of topped out how far I could go with this build. Now I can go a bit further which makes all the difference in the world.
    Hmmmm. I take back what I said. Even applying debuffs on dummies. Commanding shot, ambush, con artist, I don't really know if I see the effectiveness. I wonder if my comparison is different because of other changes I've made. I play less and have seem to improved after my last few bouts with the usual people I run with. Gonna have to get down and really test this out. Will report back when I do.
    All Im saying is that if PB is *always* 50% of the original hit displayed damage, then something is up. It is supposed to ignore DR and deflect which the original hit does not. So where your original hit may be mitigated lower, your PB wont be.

Of course my interpretation could be wrong. They might just be saying "whatever damage you end up doing, your PB is going to be 50% of that, but dont worry, we wont apply mitigation to that extra hit again..."

This change people are talking about may be "...but we will apply the same buffs to the additional hit that we applied to the original".

But if its *always* 50% of the original hit, then that last case cant be right either.

Is not always 50% when debuffs are applied. It's that simple. I think you're looking too deep logically and missing the whole point. It's now affected by debuffs. This change puts it right on par with trappers thorned roots which are affected by buffs /debuffs. This is what I've been waiting and asking for and I was correct. It was better and not game breaking.
  • teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    @Jonkoca Need a new discussion for the PvP side. I have an idea of what stats to shift to but some info would be great. Some of the youtube I have seen is disturbing. DC's seem to be in god mode.
    The Legendary Outlaws
    Hi teucer, on hols atm. and didn't do more than a couple of doms before I left, combat seems pretty good still, I just added about 4k arpen to take me up to 80% RI. Not really specced for pvp though, just using my pve combat set up (no wilds medicine or high crit), did try higher arpen - about 133% - but it didn't seem much of an improvement.
  • teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    ok, not looking forward to shifting stats for my combat but if that is what it takes...
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • dragonsbane3dragonsbane3 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Patch_NW.85.20170711b.5

Piercing Damage

Certain Piercing attacks that deal damage based on another attack no longer "double-dip" damage resistance against higher-level enemies.
    Example: The Hunter Ranger feat, Piercing Blades, deals an extra 50% piercing damage to an enemy.
    If an attack would normally deal 200 damage, but is reduced to 150 by an enemy's level difference, then Piercing Blades now deals 75 damage (50% of the damage dealt).
    Prior to this fix, Piercing Blades would deal around 56 damage (50% of the damage dealt, then reduced again by the level difference).

So before the patch the PB was getting less dmg because of lvl difference and getting a extra DR penality Where as now it gets the full 50%.

Ok guys so I decided to test out the changes to Piercing Blades today. My group make up is OP tank, GF, 2 DC's 1 AC and 1 DO and myself as SW Combat. I reviewed my old logs for FBI and my avg PB dmg % was 15%, today when I ran it with the same group makeup my PB dmg % jumped from 15% to 23% overall and it was the largest source of my dmg. In the old logs it avg'd out as 4th in dmg. So according to ACT PB got a huge buff overall.

Now something to note, I'm not sure how much of a difference it made but in my old runs I was using Trans Vorpal and I have recently swapped out to Trans Feytouched.
    Post edited by dragonsbane3 on
    "The Sweet Ain't As Sweet Without The Sour!"
    That makes perfect sense. Amazing how 1 small change helps us tremendously. Now need to see how archery is doing. If the piercing from it is affected by debuffs I might toy around with it for a while
    edited August 2017
    Just tested archery's Longshot and it isn't affected by debuffs. That's unfortunate. That would've been a really good boost for archery which it needs. Maybe the devs would reconsider.