test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Combating Gold Spammers

Comments

• nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    If some dev's/product managers/project managers would just understand that the current "hide quests 7 levels below your level" is not working out. - and that it is especially stupid in areas where quests are vital for communication.

But there is no time/money/dedication/love for older areas if this game - the solution to make the quest markers visible on demand is IMHO not really rocket science. But maybe it is.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • shawynnexshawynnex Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Looks like your ridiculous attempt to stop gold sellers failed!

Mod Note: Link removed. It is against the ToS and Rules to post names and web sites for illegal activities, even in image format.
    Post edited by zebular on
    Yeah, funny think the reporting system being broken for months now :-)
    PADI
  • rick#3945 rick Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    It use to be easy to report these people in regards to mail spam. You selected message and click on spam. Now, when I do this the message disappears and I'm asked for the person's name or handle. This no longer exists as it is now gone. I still do this but it appears to be a waste of time.
  • bronto111bronto111 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    It is rediculous that its now april 2017 nearly 6 months later and the spammers are still spamming my mail and in game chats,still advertising 3rd party web sites etc.and whats worse is the mailbox button to report spam is still broken and just comes up with an error "@handle not found" or something like that.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    Somehow the Goldspammers handle has been transposed into their characterName when you report spam as in Reported characterName@goldspammer and received result "goldspammer" not found, please provide characterName and handle.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    It's the antI report hack.... they create spoof names that do not exist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    The are also compiling a list of in game emails to spam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    They are hoping someone will be tired of the grind and take their bait...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rhymenoiserhymenoise Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I think what needs to happen is a change to how mail works, since alot of these spammers use the in-game mail.
    Unless it's a guild wide mail, I don't think I've ever needed mail from anyone who's not on my friends list nor have I needed to mail any non-friends. I think if mail was friends/guild only, it would limit just the amount the could be send in a single message.

Next I'd limit how many messages lower level characters can send at a time, ie 1 public message every 30sec/1min until a certain level, just so they can't spam multiple channels over and over again.

They are hoping someone will be tired of the grind and take their bait...

Part of that is that many items seem so expensive to new players, because you don't get very much AD until much later in game.
    edited May 2017
    deleted
    Post edited by shawynnex on
    I take that back.
    I it still says you have to complete 5 questchains to unlock chat.

Did the moderator lie, or is this a bug?
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    rick#3945 said:

It use to be easy to report these people in regards to mail spam. You selected message and click on spam. Now, when I do this the message disappears and I'm asked for the person's name or handle. This no longer exists as it is now gone. I still do this but it appears to be a waste of time.

It might not help much, but may be the Devs could add a time restriction on the deleting process of accounts/characters...
    after mails have been send through this account/character, it can't be deleted for 72hrs.

Add to that a restriction on sending mails, where you can only send X mails within Y minutes to players on your friendlist or in your guild/alliance.

That should give spam reports enough time to find their "targets", and hopefully also slow the mail spam down a bit.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • caden#9548 caden Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    i ranked up fast now i can't even find the quest???? i want to trade and auction stuff but i can't and i'm level55
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

i ranked up fast now i can't even find the quest???? i want to trade and auction stuff but i can't and i'm level55

Now you get to do it the hard way - you have to use the Official Wiki's List of Quests to find them all to complete them. This is one of the hazards of leveling to fast.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • sorvikcorsairsorvikcorsair Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    I have a level 70 in my guild that missed one or two quests, can not trade or use AH. It took us forever to find out why. How is he supposed to find these couple of missing quests?
    Neverwinter
    Fearless Wolves - GM
    Slorik - GWF
    Eevil'N - CW
    Sybyl - GF

Star Trek Online

Sorvik Corsair : KDF Reman Engineer
    S'karn Corsair : KDF Gorn Intelligence
    edited June 2017
    Well, how about adding a quest to Sgt. Knox, like the ones for invoking/professions/artifacts and so on, but for unlocking chat/auction house?

Anyway, anything new on fighting against that AD seller spam trick? I mean, it's not like this is only happening in NWO, they run the same HAMSTER in STO too...
    Want to know why?
  • sorvikcorsairsorvikcorsair Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Now you get to do it the hard way - you have to use the Official Wiki's List of Quests to find them all to complete them. This is one of the hazards of leveling to fast.
    With the amount of gold spammers in PE/Trade/LFG and the mail system, the current block is not working to stop them. We need something else instead of punishing new players.

Neverwinter
    Fearless Wolves - GM
    Slorik - GWF
    Eevil'N - CW
    Sybyl - GF

Star Trek Online

Sorvik Corsair : KDF Reman Engineer
    S'karn Corsair : KDF Gorn Intelligence
    edited June 2017
    Well, as mentioned several times over the past few years on this topic... instead of going after the accounts, aim for the message itself. The spammers have access to an unlimited amount of accounts, but there's a limited number of possibilities to create a readable message to get their advertisement out there.

Start with giving us the option to feed a filter with keywords, and those messages/mails containing these keywords will be routed to a spam chat window/spam mail folder.
    Looking at how many times the AD sellers spam the same message over and over again, it would probably take less then a week, before they run out of options.
    And this is neither impossible, nor would it take much dev time to get it done. We allready have a filter in game, the profanity filter, just use it as base and expand it.

And please give us also the option to clear the regular ignore list with 1 click, since it looks like a well filled ignore list slows the game down a lot...
    I have several thousands @handle of spammers on this list, and the last time i tried to open the ignore list, the game nearly crashed.
    Want to know why?
    Well, with the announcement of the next new module (?) or bigger update, i doubt that we're going to see any big changes around this topic at all.
    Want to know why?
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    regenerde said:

I have several thousands @handle of spammers on this list, and the last time i tried to open the ignore list, the game nearly crashed.

I don't block spammers now because there's a few legitimate competitors for my ignore and I don't want them to be mixed (and accidentally unblocked) with these bot farms. And it has like zero use.

I have 2 suggestion:

1, If I report for spam, it should get into a different ignore category.
    2, Every day on the first time I log in, I'd be grateful if the program checked if the accounts on my ignore list are still exist (not deleted or banned) and if not, basically remove it from there.
    regenerde said:

Well, as mentioned several times over the past few years on this topic... instead of going after the accounts, aim for the message itself. The spammers have access to an unlimited amount of accounts, but there's a limited number of possibilities to create a readable message to get their advertisement out there.

Start with giving us the option to feed a filter with keywords, and those messages/mails containing these keywords will be routed to a spam chat window/spam mail folder.
    Looking at how many times the AD sellers spam the same message over and over again, it would probably take less then a week, before they run out of options.
    And this is neither impossible, nor would it take much dev time to get it done. We allready have a filter in game, the profanity filter, just use it as base and expand it.

And please give us also the option to clear the regular ignore list with 1 click, since it looks like a well filled ignore list slows the game down a lot...

As long as the filter is centralized there is a way around it.
    Cryptic does not want to or is unable to comprehend that.

If Cryptic puts in a filter for "vv.vv" the gold sellers change to "w:vv"
    If I could put in a filter personally the gold sellers would not know my filter, hence no trial and error feedback.
    I conclude Cryptic has more important targets than battle gold sellers for real. Maybe don't HAMSTER off gold sellers so they don't revert to friend or guild invites?

By adding this feature they would admit they have a real problem with gold sellers.
    As the filters and harsh chat restrictions work in their opinion this feature is not needed.

Ha! And people think I am weird because I have imaginary friends!

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

By adding this feature they would admit they have a real problem with gold sellers.
    As the filters and harsh chat restrictions work in their opinion this feature is not needed.

Ha! And people think I am weird because I have imaginary friends!

They have never denied it. Which is part of the reason for these changes they implemented.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    kreatyve said:

They have never denied it. Which is part of the reason for these changes they implemented.

No, but they left the IMO useless "filter" of level 30 quests active.
    Hence it is obviously working. Everyone can see that!
    I deleted hundreds of mails since Sept. 2016 to prove the efficiency of the filter!

edited June 2017

regenerde said:

As long as the filter is centralized there is a way around it.
    Cryptic does not want to or is unable to comprehend that.

If Cryptic puts in a filter for "vv.vv" the gold sellers change to "w:vv"
    If I could put in a filter personally the gold sellers would not know my filter, hence no trial and error feedback.
    I conclude Cryptic has more important targets than battle gold sellers for real. Maybe don't HAMSTER off gold sellers so they don't revert to friend or guild invites?

The current profanity chat filter opened up on the client side, so that we can update it with keywords, could be a start. And i bet it would work better, and with less interference with the game, then a current ignore list filled with hundreds and thousands of dead accounts.

That reminds me, i really have to ask the support to clear out my ignore list...

Anyway, most of the changes done this far have hurt real players more then the AD sellers. And as mentioned above, something has to change, so that the report of a spam mail goes through to the support or something.
    And that they add the message to their server filter, that would at least force the AD sellers to alter their message every single time.

Besides, i wouldn't go for the webpage name as keyword for a filter, but rather look for strings like "cheap; fast; AD". At first they might find a few more ways to describe their service, but at some point they will run out of options, and might have to start drawing pictures... :D
    Want to know why?
    regenerde said:

[...]Besides, i wouldn't go for the webpage name as keyword for a filter, but rather look for strings like "cheap; fast; AD". At first they might find a few more ways to describe their service, but at some point they will run out of options, and might have to start drawing pictures... :D

As long as the gold seller can TEST and confirm the efficiency of their strangely worded message they will find a way to word it.
    Once a personal filter (like "vv.vv") is in play this is no longer the case. As we get similar worded spams on a regular basis the GSPTF (gold seller prevention task force) might be a wee tiny little bit understaffed (if there were one).
This discussion has been closed.