test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Overflow bag changes, thumbs down

Comments

• wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

For those who does not have VIP, can you sell the stuff that is in the bag (not overflow) to AH to open up a slot?
    In addition, can you travel to PE?

I personally don't see a problem in my own situation because I have VIP to call up a bank and mail post.
    I do have space in the bank to move stuff around. I can mail the stuff that is in the bag (not overflow).
    I wonder if someone brings up a bank or mail post would help those who do not have VIP.

No, if you do not have VIP you cannot post to the auction house, or move from the map instance.

• minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    I have had to discard stuff I want to keep or refine a small stack of stuff I didn't want to many times since this change. My crime ? I do a fair amount of leadership and would like to open green boxes in 2xenchants and use the encs/runes in 2xRP as I have done since the events first happened. If you're going to do this, let potions stack to 999 and possibly enchants/runes/peridots etc, having 12 stacks of account bound peridots on some characters is just messy (DH enchs and wanderers fortune). Also why in gods name do I need 8 slots taken up with T3 mastercrafting recipes.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Inventory management is already less bad ("less bad" does not equal "good") for VIP players due to the summonable services, and waived AH fees. And while those conveniences are significant enough to enforce a sentiment of once you go VIP, there's no going back, lack of access to VIP services should not hinder gameplay. Not in a respect that's more significant than "ugh, having to go to the gate to travel sucks, having to go to PE to access mail sucks, I miss having VIP" anyway.

I didn't try to travel with an item in overflow. Does a single item stop you like it did with quest turn-ins?

I don't see how these changes could be considered to not have a negative impact on ordinary activities, particularly in the respect that if you have ended up with a bag of quest items that has forced items into your overflow in the course of your gaming session, you cannot do anything towards clearing them out by turning in your quests in order to rearrange whatever other items you needed to make space for. This is not a "reminder" to clean up your bags. It is putting your character into an unplayable state, and if you're not VIP, it sounds like that state persists until you can decide on what to discard. Maybe at least to vendor items if you've made it to a zone vendor.

We shouldn't need Peter Walsh levels of organizational skill to be able to play a videogame. (TIL Clean Sweep only aired for two seasons. Back when TLC Network used to be educational.)

I find it objectionable that this measure was implemented without taking any kind of steps towards providing players with more tools or solutions for inventory problems. As has been widely grumped about, "Useful Items" freed up only a certain amount of space that was immediately gobbled by all the new items we're expected to haul around for medium-to-long periods of time.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

I have had to discard stuff I want to keep or refine a small stack of stuff I didn't want to many times since this change. My crime ? I do a fair amount of leadership and would like to open green boxes in 2xenchants and use the encs/runes in 2xRP as I have done since the events first happened. If you're going to do this, let potions stack to 999 and possibly enchants/runes/peridots etc, having 12 stacks of account bound peridots on some characters is just messy (DH enchs and wanderers fortune). Also why in gods name do I need 8 slots taken up with T3 mastercrafting recipes.

The next 2xRP is at the same time as a 2xGem event. I've personally been waffling about opening boxes now to reduce the future opening burden (this never was an activity to be undertaken lightly), or letting them continue to pile up, but I'm already over 999 of them per character. Whatever I do is going to suck for me. I will likely have to vendor potions, whereas in the past I'd bank them until prices recovered reasonably and AH them. (I already have lots of gold, and no patience for trade chat to try to use it more productively.)

Do the mastercrafting recipes need to be kept indefinitely or only while you're actively working on levelling up the thing? I would expect these to function as a character setting (like having a boon unlocked being a behind-the-scenes y/n), not an item. That's nuts.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• kzone#2148 kzone Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I'd be happy if they ever really reduced the quantity of refinement items. Way back when they did the initial revamping of refinement, it was under the guise of reducing the amount of junk people had to carry around. Sadly it's gone off the rails.
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    I had mentioned before that Refinement Containers (not to hold the invidual RP items themselves, but a kind of point recepticle (magic, if necessary)) would be a way that people who aren't interested in reselling the Enchantments and stones could use to hold all of the RP until needed, without the space requirements. They could still limit it to X RP, and once its emptied, it gets consumed, so people would need to get a replacement (quest or Zen Store). Also, RP that goes into it has no chance to Crit (a tradeoff for the convenience). Also, much like an Artifact, once RP goes into it, it becomes BtC (so BtC RP restriction is preserved).
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    Bag slots bag slots bag slots....just put quest items, RD reclaimed stuff in the useful items tab.
    Make 2 categories of RP: account bound and unbound.

Solved - thanks.

We all know that Cryptic want to sell more bags. So there we are we will cry that we do not have the space. And there comes the decision to ease the pain and give us more slots.

If you guys want to sell more bags, and are so stubborn to NOT change the bind statuses of all available RP - just give us one/two or seven additional bags slots and call it a day...

Exactly how many times, do we need to write this to be heard?
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"

and I forgot about fish since I quit doing the maps and fishing asap.

Another category of items that should go to the useful items tab asap.

2). Yes. I am panzer!

I'd be happy if they ever really reduced the quantity of refinement items. Way back when they did the initial revamping of refinement, it was under the guise of reducing the amount of junk people had to carry around. Sadly it's gone off the rails.

It was a trap!

2). Yes. I am panzer!
  • dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Gotta throw my $0.02 in as well: It's rediculous that you can't complete a quest with stuff in your overflow bag, especially when the quests are WHY WE HAVE SO MUCH STUFF IN THE FIRST PLACE! And heaven forbid you run with Dragon Hoard enchants..

Standard questing needs minimum 12 for potions, injury kits, altars, and a couple food buffs
    Refinement savings; 4-6 slots for enchanted chests, coffers, and other RP-bearing flotsam (doesn't include actual refinement stones/gems)
    River District: 4 slots locked into resources and chests + maps +other quest flotsam =8 easy
    Storm King: varies from 4-16, depending on the Quests you get to collect stuff from mobs + Ostorian relics (which you can't get rid of unless you have a spare slot open [wicked stupid]) maps+bottles, and bloody fish.

I won't list them all, but every other mod has it's own running storage requirements..

it all adds up.. dang.. and then artifacts that you're actively trying to level up, or other enchants..

Can we cut down on some of the bound varieties of stuff, please? that would help ease some of the storage burden (plus storage on the database).
    Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
    NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
    NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

dzaims said:

And heaven forbid you run with Dragon Hoard enchants..

Wanderer's Fortune drops all that plus 6 more types of stones. When I first tried Wanderer's Fortune, I went off it again at first because of the extra inventory required, but ultimately decided I couldn't afford not to use it.

I won't use even Fey Blessing enchants because that requires a minimum of 4-8 more slots for account-bound drops too.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited May 2017

dzaims said:

And heaven forbid you run with Dragon Hoard enchants..

Wanderer's Fortune drops all that plus 6 more types of stones.
    When I first tried Wanderer's Fortune, I went off it again at first because of the extra inventory required, but ultimately decided I couldn't afford not to use it.

I won't use even Fey Blessing enchants because that requires a minimum of 4-8 more slots for account-bound drops too.

That may be the reason why they are giving us a free purple mount that can have Wanderer's Fortune.
    May be I should just stay in Quartermaster which gives 3 bags (I think).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    I've found five different grades of Quartermaster bags, but if you generally only kill things at your level, you won't see the white/green bags at all, and blue bags only when you're scaled down*. They go by enemy level, so bystander kills on Maze Engine quests and such can proc lower-rank bags.

*I don't know why this happens on event maps but apparently not in ToD zones.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited May 2017

You will just have to discard and/or use everything that is keeping your inventory full, in a worse case scenario.

I am missing something. I have just tried it. I have just opened enchanted coffers to have overflow. I still can move stuff to the bank directly from the overflow bag. I still can access mail and send stuff to myself. I can also AH stuff.

Some correction of my founding. I have VIP. I was able to do AH stuff with 'some' overflow.
    However, I opened enchanted coffers last night with a big volume of overflow. I could not do AH.
    I don't know what the cut off is.
    I could still do bank and mail though.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    currently vip 12 and on delivering dr quest after i delivered 1 quest one bag of rp went overflow and when returning second quest game didnt allow me to receive the second bag until i remove the only item from overflowbag, so basicly now im makind ad for bags and bank slots upgrades lets see how what future holds for me
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

Soooooo... does this change mean you can't even turn in a quest because the items you need to turn in are in your overflow bag?

Yes, yes it does.
    wylonus said:

i agreed with becky, and devs need to change loot drops, example, Platimium plates or cups, why dont they change into bigger pile of cash coins instead?
    it make me think devs are being trolling for limited bag slots and threw us with loads of new items, devs are bad and never did time to fix thier messy problems and just want more real cash from players, damn, they think small, what we need is a person from texas who thinks bigger.

I kind of like the Platinum Plates and Platinum Statuettes and turn them in when they get to 20 for about 7 Gold and 2 Gold respectively. Helps me make a Gold donation to the Guild.

I agree on the Peridots as i have about 12 stacks and 20 stacks of unbound and account bound enchants. I'd also love to stack the Dread Ring reward boxes for finishing the Mini dungeons (that would save 5-8 slots).

I think, if you OPEN the T3 recipes, they show up as Rank 25 tasks at the bottom of the 8 professions.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    kemi1984 said:

Bag slots bag slots bag slots....just put quest items, RD reclaimed stuff in the useful items tab.
    Make 2 categories of RP: account bound and unbound.

Solved - thanks.

We all know that Cryptic want to sell more bags. So there we are we will cry that we do not have the space. And there comes the decision to ease the pain and give us more slots.

If you guys want to sell more bags, and are so stubborn to NOT change the bind statuses of all available RP - just give us one/two or seven additional bags slots and call it a day...

Exactly how many times, do we need to write this to be heard?

How often do you need to hear the deafening silence to comprehend they are well aware of the problem, the solution and the wishes and, most important, they do it on purpose?

Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
    Another stupidity, why the heck do you need to have an empty inventory slot to sell relics to the vendor in SKT, nothing in overflow, but a full inventory prevents you selling because I suspect the vonins goes to the main inventory before being added as a currency and isn't allowed to go through overflow.
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User

Another stupidity, why the heck do you need to have an empty inventory slot to sell relics to the vendor in SKT, nothing in overflow, but a full inventory prevents you selling because I suspect the vonins goes to the main inventory before being added as a currency and isn't allowed to go through overflow.

THIS RIGHT HERE!

Holy HAMSTER is that annoying
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Because the voninblod hits your inventory for a second before it gets moved to your riches tab. Same reason you can have space on your belt for a pot, but you can't pick it up if your bags are full.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    I've also discovered that a single item in overflow (pesky unstackable invoke bag) prevents collecting profession tasks even if the items being collected would stack onto your existing inventory.

Neverwinter Census 2017

greywynd said:

Because the voninblod hits your inventory for a second before it gets moved to your riches tab. Same reason you can have space on your belt for a pot, but you can't pick it up if your bags are full.
    Exactly, and as a programmer, code that bad offends me, thanks for reminding me of the potion example too. I'm guessing it's so it can stay in inventory if it would put you over the cap ? not sure if it does that, never been near the cap myself, but there are several MUCH better solutions to that sort of thing.

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Popping my head in to say that I am escalating all this info because some great points were brought up (especially with events like the Anniversary coming up) but I can address a couple questions:

Why were the overflow bag changes implemented now?
    We were seeing a significant amount of abuse of the overflow system that was directly impacting the game performance/stability. We wanted to introduce this change now to alleviate the negative impact on the game.

Why were the overflow bag changes introduced without providing other alternatives to inventory?
    Because game stability was a priority before future plans can be implemented. But that does't mean plans aren't in place.
  • mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    It would be nice if they separated quest items from the bag storage. I know that's not a complete solution, but at least it gives us room to work with.

It's pretty clear the overload bag is meant to be temporary storage and it would probably be best not to get too comfortable letting it fill up and sit there too long. It wasn mentioned that full overload bags were causing a performance issues so they need to do something to get people to stop using them beyond temporary storage.

I'd really like to be able to store enchantments, runestones, refining stones, marks and rings in closed 12 slot bags that could be stored as an inventory item in a larger bag....a 24 slot bag would be even better, but a 12 slot would be a good start.
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User

I'd really like to be able to store enchantments, runestones, refining stones, marks and rings in closed 12 slot bags that could be stored as an inventory item in a larger bag....a 24 slot bag would be even better, but a 12 slot would be a good start.

Just had a thought on this... What about a single bag-slot for a "Gems Bag?" It could only hold those things that show up as "refinement" in the AH.
    -Either make it extremely expensive with no capacity, or similar in cost/size to current bags.
    -Another option might be "disposable" type. Cheap (gold, not AD please) and auto-fills, but opens like a lockbox - empty contents to inventory and bag disappears. The disposable type wouldn't be good for long-term, but would help by not having to visit the bank every 3 hours to empty bags.