test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: "Shroud of Souls" Featured Quest

crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 27 Cryptic Developer
Greetings, adventurers! This is Randy "Arkayne" Mosiondz with the feedback thread for the new "Shroud of Souls" Featured Quest!

Known Issues
  • VO has not been hooked up.
Access
Players can access the skirmish at level 70 after completing the "Cloaked Ascendancy" campaign story arc. You can bypass this requirement by getting the "M11 Requirements Bypass" Token from the Preview Store (NOTE: This token is not in the current build, but will be in later this week).

Features
The "Shroud of Souls" Featured Quest has the following features:
- New multi-part story which takes you around the River District and Neverwinter to various locations around the Sword Coast... and beyond!
- New rewards and repeatable instance unlocked when completing the Featured Quest.

Feedback Desired
We'd like your feedback on the story arc, the combats and creatures, and the rewards.

If you find a bug or have feedback, please follow the guidelines below when posting:
• Respond to this forum post.
• Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
• Spec: (Please enter the spec that you are providing feedback for here)
• Format: Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Spec then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use CYAN.
• (Bonus: Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:

Bug:
I was able to fight the Shadovar Ambassador before I knew anything about her!

I really like the creepy Shadowfell area! I want to see more adventures there!
Post edited by noworries#8859 on

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Just in case anyone is wondering - you need to have finish Chapter 5 of the Cloaked Ascendancy campaign to be able to start this one.

General Feedback:

This was smooth - pretty much problem free, and everything of appropriate difficulty (easy for someone well-geared, a challenge for someone who is undergeared for the area).

Yes, the VO is missing, and although I did not notice it myself, it might be nice to have a fireplace closer to the final battle to avoid a very long walk if you die, but in general, the quest is just fine.

I liked the optional titles ("Soul Survivor" and "Drinking Buddy") - however - there is one potential issue. I am sure there are some people playing NWO that have a serious problem with alcohol in real life - attend AA meetings and so on. For them, the "Drinking Buddy" is potentially disturbing, even offensive, as you basically are pushed into either drinking just a little bit or drinking a lot.

How about a dialogue option to refuse to have a drink? A "No thank you, I need to be sober for the task ahead" would take care of the RP issue, and you could award a different title, say "Stone Cold Sober" instead.

I am sure some people would appreciate it.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    adinosii said:

there is one potential issue. I am sure there are some people playing NWO that have a serious problem with alcohol in real life - attend AA meetings and so on. For them, the "Drinking Buddy" is potentially disturbing, even offensive, as you basically are pushed into either drinking just a little bit or drinking a lot.

How about a dialogue option to refuse to have a drink? A "No thank you, I need to be sober for the task ahead" would take care of the RP issue, and you could award a different title, say "Stone Cold Sober" instead.

I am sure some people would appreciate it.

The quest specifically states "(Optional)" you can just leave just like you can for the mimic in the crown vault. Note that there are more titles to be found.

Yes there needs to be a campfire at the end of Shard of Night to prevent a crazy long walk. I loved the new zone used in the storyline. The atmosphere and theme were just spot on. Even with the NPCs talking amongst themselves, it was just perfect. I also would love to see more adventures in this zone, since the look of it is so great.

Shard of Night was a fun little dungeon, and the boss fight was more interesting than the other RD lairs, due to the very powerful stun mechanic. The dragon looked great with a great attention to detail (even changing visual effects colors for the roar). Overall I really liked the new content. To be honest, I was disappointing that it was short (okay, it wasn't THAT short, I just wanted more awesome. It was like reading a good book, you want the end, but when you reach the end, you want a sequel), and more disappointing that there weren't any great rewards for the repeatable instance, but the quality of the content was exactly what I would like to see in the future, and I can't complain too much when it was done so well. Lack of meaningful rewards has always been a shortcoming of your team anyways ;)

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• szerevaxszerevax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2017

My character origin is Netheril and i chose Shadowvar Elite option - "You are descended from the Netherese ruling elite and are fiercely loyal to the empire.". Why this story orders to fight the Shadovar Ambassador and other Netherese force? My character want be loyal and get option to slay Thayan instead ambassador.

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    szerevax said:

My character origin is Netheril and i chose Shadowvar Elite option - "You are descended from the Netherese ruling elite and are fiercely loyal to the empire.". Why this story orders to fight the Shadovar Ambassador and other Netherese force? My character want be loyal and get option to slay Thayan instead ambassador.

Insert obligatory joke about suffering amnesia and believing you are a "Battle-Tested Veteran of the Dalelands".
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    I really liked the missions, specially the return of a very master of his own nose immortal being ^^ *spoiller*, what really bothered me was the integral copy of a map, it's not about you wanting to cut time in material production, is more about you trying to convince us "hey look it's something new", i would honestly not say a word about this and comsider just a normal mission if grazillax said "After your unfortunate encounter with thulliaga, the edge of the underdark was reclaimed by orcus worshipers." just my opinion.

I think it's a little strange that Knox has casual clothing but Celeste is fully armored. Her gear is probably a little more comfortable than his, but details like changing their outfit depending on context makes them more alive.

(Haven't played the quest, but it jumped out at me in the blog where I grabbed the image.)

Neverwinter Census 2017

• ashryver#4991 ashryver Member Posts: 7 Cryptic Developer

I think it's a little strange that Knox has casual clothing but Celeste is fully armored. Her gear is probably a little more comfortable than his, but details like changing their outfit depending on context makes them more alive.

(Haven't played the quest, but it jumped out at me in the blog where I grabbed the image.)

Hello I'm the artist on these quests. To clarify this cutscene runs for the player character. It's just that on my local work machine I like to have my character set to look like Celeste.
    Staff Environment Artist

Celeste is pretty awesome. Can't say as I can fault you for that.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• szerevaxszerevax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    In previer

szerevax said:

Insert obligatory joke about suffering amnesia and believing you are a "Battle-Tested Veteran of the Dalelands".

Amnesia of the origin of the character ended up on the test server. I would like to have more influence on my character's decision to be in line with the role played by my character, something in the direction of the d&d session or allowing the choice of as old d&d pc games.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    One thing I didn't think of earlier is that this storyline would have been an ideal opportunity to add a killable ghost or two. Why? Well, to solve the ghost shortage issue. There is a "Ghost Slayer" achievement, but as far as I know, there are no killable ghosts anywhere...not any more.

We need ghosts.

(If anyone knows of any killable ghosts, please let me know).
    Hoping for improvements...
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

There were ghosts in Dwarf Kings Crypt in GG. I wonder if the slayer achievements are also broken though.

FWIW some other slayer achievements seem to be working (got kobold and dragon slayer in the last couple days)
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I could be wrong...but I think spirit wolves count. Hard to remember as it has been so long since the achievement. The GG ghosts did count.
  • crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 27 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for the feedback, folks!
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    adinosii said:

One thing I didn't think of earlier is that this storyline would have been an ideal opportunity to add a killable ghost or two. Why? Well, to solve the ghost shortage issue. There is a "Ghost Slayer" achievement, but as far as I know, there are no killable ghosts anywhere...not any more.

We need ghosts.

(If anyone knows of any killable ghosts, please let me know).

I know this is also somewhat off topic.. but I have this character named Buffy who would love to slay some other certain supernatural types at some point in her life. 10/10 More Slayer titles please :D

Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.