test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changes to Auction House to Combat Goldsellers

samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
Why not change the Auction House to become a blind format? By removing all names from the AH you could prevent the goldsellers from having a way to transfer their Astral Diamonds.

Sure, it would require an overhaul of the Auction House due to the removal of names along with a reformatting of how the auctions are displayed. In this format there is often just a single entry for each possible auction type, with the individual player listings under this heading, a player can only purchase the cheapest auction available, and has no idea who actually put the auction up. This also has the effect of reducing the amount of scrolling through the auction house due to only needing one entry per auction type.

Wouldn't this Auction House style be preferable to the constant changes to "thwart" goldsellers that aren't really working and are just making the game more frustrating for your actual players?

Many other games do a blind Auction House, maybe it's time to take a page from their playbook and implement one here as well? Once implemented you could simply revert all other changes made to thwart goldsellers as they would no longer have a way to actually sell their wares.

@samaka#2511

Comments

• Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    Well, yes, they could make the auction house like the ZAX, equalizing offer and demand - not forgetting the 5% fee.
    On the ZAX you also do not see whose AD you buy with ZEN, you just get what you demand if you are the lowest bidder.
    You can add items at a higher price as well and they sell once there are no lower priced items available and the demand is matched.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User
    While it's good idea in general, it limit actual players helping each other.
    I often post some trash item, that friend of mine will buy and then we trade actual item. I don't want any1 else to buy it at reduced price... it's often non profit trade.
    As member of large guild there is often a need of items from Wondorous Bazar that as lvl12 VIP user I have access at reduced cost and I often buy items like companions or SMoPs for friends.
    Unless we have a way to trade AD in-game with other guild members I will not support this idea.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    Good idea but i actually like to buy things from people i know. It gives me ways to help friends while fulfilling my needs
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Ive played this game, typically ignoring gold sellers, gold spammers , bots and the rest, I neither report them or think about them, they do nothing to typically ruin my game experience.

The only time they even come to the periphery of my mind, is when the company reacts to them , by removing things I myself use for convenience and/or increase the cost of gaming progression, beyond what I see is reasonable.

Also, its high time we get another QOL update, those are more popular then most mod releases honestly.

how about shared bank AD account?
    Reduce the # of RP items (gawd people, having maxed bags do nothing for inventory anymore.. always full.. always, I ignore most of the r5s that drop in the game, because I simply dont have room for anything else.
    Your game is getting too old and loot tables vectored to keep stuff neatly. ITs one thing to have a slight % of stuff we need over our inventory space, but you guys have it like 50% more then we can handle, plus its super annoying.. come on, think of your player-base for once and not just yourself.

• Options
    I think the lack of being able to buy from specific people far outweighs the removal of gold sellers from the game overall... which is why I think making the AH more like the ZAX would be a benefit for the game in the long run.

The alternative is more restrictions ad nauseam until everyone just gets tired of it not making any impact on the gold sellers at all, but rather turning into continual inconveniences for the actual players of the game! :disappointed:

These new restrictions, for example, are not going to help new player retention at all. When I first started my partner and I couldn't even friend each other until we hit level 15... even though every single time we turned in quests it asked us if we wanted to become friends, but click the button and all you get is an error. Now, if you're a new player you apparently aren't even allowed to talk to anyone... I really can't see that helping new player retention at all.

We need to make this game not profitable for the gold sellers, the only way to do that is not by making the game seriously inconvenient for regular players, but by making it impossible to turn a profit for the gold sellers. Changing the Auction House is the only way to do that as it completely removes the ability for them to sell their products... which is what will make them leave the game, not all the arbitrary restrictions they can just bot around anyways.

@samaka#2511
  • Options
    izwor said:

Unless we have a way to trade AD in-game with other guild members I will not support this idea.

That will never happen as all the gold sellers would need to do is create a gold seller guild to move their AD around. This is also why we can't trade AD directly either. Also the fact we can't trade AD directly means we probably shouldn't be able to trade it indirectly via the Auction House either.

Unfortunately, with the rampant problem of gold sellers in MMOs some things need to change. Obviously, as I created this thread, I think removing the ability to control who you buy from on the AH would pretty much shut out the gold sellers from this game. There is no other avenue they can use to sell their diamonds other than the AH, remove that and they are gone.

Yes, it could potentially affect friends trying to sell each other things, however, that can be easily solved. Have your friend buy something off the AH with the value you want to sell them something for, trade your items, then sell whatever they gave you. Sure, it's an extra step or two... but in my opinion, it would be very much worth getting rid of the gold sellers!
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I'm not terribly interested in what gold sellers do. What I'm interested in however, is low prices for RP (they contribute to that) on the AH, and I'm of course deeply concerned by the total lack of imagination and understanding of how their game works with all the recent updated aimed at fighting botting. Cryptic is trying to fight people paid slave wages in china with automated measures. Of course this never works, but what would (having human GMs monitoring things) is not even considered. The last anti-bots update shows Cryptic does not understand how their own game works. Gold sellers couldn't care less about having to level up longer. This game is extremely easy and levelling can be done with a bot. In the meantime, now, players of characters under lvl 30-35 are severely punished and have to play alone now. It's easy, it's just long if you use the quest line.

Of course, transferring the rewards to challenging content that cannot be botted (dungeons) has been made impossible since the greedy dungeon key requirement. That was shooting yourselves in the foot and leaving highways of easy access to resources to hordes of bots and sweatshop workers alike. They can farm sharandar but they certainly can't farm epic tos. It's about time to stop punishing players for what bots do. Few of us really care about them.

It's also time to stop making such threads. They are the direct cause of the gateway being down indefinitely. By showing cryptic that a few people care, it's encouraging them in thinking they're going to get support for the extremely negative changes they make. Hopefully we make it clear they won't get any support. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User

Why not change the Auction House to become a blind format? By removing all names from the AH you could prevent the goldsellers from having a way to transfer their Astral Diamonds.

@handles on the forum are public too and can be parsed by everyone online.

Hell No.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options

What exactly does @handles showing up on the forums have anything to do with making the AH blind?
    diogene0 said:

It's also time to stop making such threads. They are the direct cause of the gateway being down indefinitely. By showing cryptic that a few people care, it's encouraging them in thinking they're going to get support for the extremely negative changes they make. Hopefully we make it clear they won't get any support. Quite the opposite.

Actually, this thread was created because it is something I have been thinking about since before the Gateway came down. The gold sellers are a plague on this game and need to be stopped. Changing the AH to a format that they can no longer use would drive them out of this game for good. So why not implement it?

Can you honestly say that implementing a blind AH, while reversing all the previous restrictions, would be worse for the players of the game?

@samaka#2511
  • Options
    nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    How about this change -- which could be done in addition to the blind auctions:

- Canceled Auctions take 5-15 minutes to have the item returned to you. By in-game email.

This would reduce high frequency trading, still be usable. And the delay could be blamed on Valindra/Tiamat/etc.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    nathanjm said:

How about this change -- which could be done in addition to the blind auctions:

- Canceled Auctions take 5-15 minutes to have the item returned to you. By in-game email.

This would reduce high frequency trading, still be usable. And the delay could be blamed on Valindra/Tiamat/etc.

Another way to punish human player. The bot already knows how to get email. That is why they can automate buy low, sell high.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    They are putting an awful lot of time and effort in to something that an In Game GM, paid minimum wage, could handle in a few seconds.

You could even recruit players to do this, though I don't know how that works anymore (I remember one gaming company was sued because volunteers weren't paid).

1 person logged in to PE could ban a thousand accounts a day. Would they come back? Sure. They would be restricted to the new rules, and they would have to spend the time creating the accounts and leveling the toons. I don't care how many people are trying to do it, a few dedicated people banning accounts WOULD be able to outrun any number of botters trying to get in eventually.

2-3 minimum wage employees working 8 hours a day, would cost them about 60k a year. Pretty sure they make that on key sales alone.

But, they wont do it and will continue removing pieces of the game to prevent botting, which is like fixing a damaged road by closing it.
  • Options
    izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    What they should do:
    Hire 10 people for a week. Give them GMs, let them sit in Enclave/Sharandar and other bot-friendly instances. Ban by IPs and @handles all bots on chat and all bot behavior. Repeat every month.
    Monitor AH sales. Why do you allow selling 100+ stacks of RP by one person every week? That's bot user for sure.
    Why company like this allows usage of 2nd party programs running along game client? Develop program that detects usage of Bot programs (there are out there, just google it). Ban all accounts that use it.
    Profit.

Why they don't do it? Because bots in this game are like terrorists in real life. Excuse to implement new nerfs and restrictions.
    Another thing is, they actually might have an interest in bot activity. It shows high numbers in player activity for their owners and marketing companies.

If they would really want to kill bot activity they will put RP items on Wondorous Bazar with prices similar that could be found on AH last week/month. No profit for bot user will be severe hit.
    And second thing they could move all valuable items (RAD, RPs) behind actual gameplay (dungeons, skirmishes, campaign quests). Now you can earn more if you do stupid Leadership tasks on multiple characters than actually play the game...
    The same is for VIP Enchanted Keys. VIP is cheaper than keys from ZEN, that is why bots will buy multiaccount VIP and farm rewards. It should be limited. You could put Enchanted Key reward behind actual gameplay barier as well (it might be campaign quests, dungeons, skirmishes, whatever).
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User

What exactly does @handles showing up on the forums have anything to do with making the AH blind?
    Sorry that I didn't read OP carefully. In-game mail spam that's what I meant.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    kalindra said:

So you think restricting the options to help friends and guildmates is a acceptable price for one or two spam emails less to delete and 50% region chat less to ignore?

I don't think so - just ignore them and that's all about it.
    As long as they don't start issuing friend request during boss fights again, I can easily life with the goldsellers.

You can still help friends and guild-mates as I stated earlier in the thread. Trade items with each other and then sell whatever they give you for AD. This would also negate the risk of someone else buying your cheaper-than-market-value item before your friend or guild-mate could.

They don't allow us to directly trade AD with each other, I don't know why they allow us to indirectly trade AD via the auction house, to be honest. I do believe that converting the AH to a blind format would far outweigh being able to buy an auction sold by a specific person, especially as there is an alternative method to essentially trade with friends anyways.

Also, this suggestion isn't to make the inconvenience of random tells or game mails go away... it is to get rid of gold spammers permanently. Remove their ability to use the AH and you remove any incentive they have to farm things in this game, period.
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    edited September 2016

diogene0 said:

Actually, this thread was created because it is something I have been thinking about since before the Gateway came down. The gold sellers are a plague on this game and need to be stopped. Changing the AH to a format that they can no longer use would drive them out of this game for good. So why not implement it?

Can you honestly say that implementing a blind AH, while reversing all the previous restrictions, would be worse for the players of the game?

Yes. First it's not a solution at all if I tell the gold seller to buy a lvl 70 blue CW chest for 1234567 on the AH (check it out, there aren't that many), the pricing is unique enough not to be confused and offer a secure transaction. Then, I trade quite a lot of expensive items and people often sen me tells to see if we can have a direct trade instead to cut losses on both ends. This is absolutely invaluable as a trader, and I doubt cryptic would remove it, simply because it's obvious most of my "customers" are paying players, given what they buy and what they offer in return. That would directly hurt their paying players willing to get what they want, which is a big red flag in my book. Finally, it's a nice little touch to be able to buy an item from a friend even if he's selling an item for 10 more ADs.

So no, this shouldn't, and hopefully, won't happen. What would work however is what @oldbaldyone suggested, but PWE is apparently too cheap to hire 3 minimum wage employees to monitor zone chat in PE and other hot locations for 8h a day each.
  • Options
    spike#5569 spike Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Maybe its just me being a jaded member of capitalism, but i would be shocked if cryptic/pwe doesn't have their own bots and gold sellers. Why would a company ignore an untapped stream of supplemental income to add to zen sales? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User

Maybe its just me being a jaded member of capitalism, but i would be shocked if cryptic/pwe doesn't have their own bots and gold sellers. Why would a company ignore an untapped stream of supplemental income to add to zen sales? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

They don't need a bot to generate AD, RP. They just need to put some digit into the database.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    spike#5569 spike Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    null
    True, but when i get spam mail offering rp etc for cheap $ i can't help but wonder who gets that cash.
  • Options
    diogene0 said:

Yes. First it's not a solution at all if I tell the gold seller to buy a lvl 70 blue CW chest for 1234567 on the AH (check it out, there aren't that many), the pricing is unique enough not to be confused and offer a secure transaction. Then, I trade quite a lot of expensive items and people often sen me tells to see if we can have a direct trade instead to cut losses on both ends. This is absolutely invaluable as a trader, and I doubt cryptic would remove it, simply because it's obvious most of my "customers" are paying players, given what they buy and what they offer in return. That would directly hurt their paying players willing to get what they want, which is a big red flag in my book. Finally, it's a nice little touch to be able to buy an item from a friend even if he's selling an item for 10 more ADs.

On a blind auction house you can't pick specific auctions to buy, when you buy an auction you get the cheapest one available, and that is your only choice. So, no, you couldn't tell the gold seller to go buy a specific auction... that is the entire point of making the AH blind. ;)

However, the gold sellers could still sell items for cash, just only via direct trade instead of via the AH. However, they couldn't directly sell Astral Diamonds, which I am sure is a pretty significant chunk of their business model.

@samaka#2511
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Won't work... hurts us more
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    edited September 2016

People have been speculating on this subject for a while. It would allow for price discrimination which was the "grail," of microeconomics for a long time. I wish they were still part of a publiclly traded company, we could probably find some evidence in their annual reports to shareholders that would provide an answer to the seculation.
    You're neglecting the PR aspect of this concept. The backlash would be enormous. The company would likely still survive, but encouraging breaching their own terms of service? That would be unprecedented on such a scale, and you can bet such findings would find their ways on every single video game related website in no time.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

People have been speculating on this subject for a while. It would allow for price discrimination which was the "grail," of microeconomics for a long time. I wish they were still part of a publiclly traded company, we could probably find some evidence in their annual reports to shareholders that would provide an answer to the seculation.
    The idea is pretty silly. Why would they "employ" bots to do all the dirty work, taxing their servers, etc, when they own the game. They could spawn as much AD and enchants as they wanted, then sell them 3rd party...unless you think they're so deep into it that it's all part of a clever ruse.

Truly a tinfoil moment, yes?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    solution would be...
    return back to previous chats, and another answer for AH would be put capped amount of items so they cant flooded while thier bags are nearly full and regulated prices.
    then we wont see any more "overpriced" mark up items often.
    it would slow down thier selling ability since real players often dont have that many items to sell.

LotRO and DDO did that years ago, with no more than 3 or 5 items, but i hadnt play those for a decade, both games made me depressed so bad that forced me to play eq2.
  • Options
    sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    I like the idea of removing the identity of the poster, it is very simple very easy solution to AD selling by gold-spammers and the knock on affect to actual legit players is minimal. This is the best suggestion for combating gold-spammers i've come across lately.

And as for the whole 'maybe cryptic have their own bots'... really? o_o No. I agree with Zerg, serious tinfoil hat moment there.
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric