test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some things to know about Fangbreaker

hugienwnhugienwn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User
edited September 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
My first run just ended at the 2nd boss... after an hour in the dungeon, our tank had to leave. :( Still, I wanted to post some words of warning to others who'll be entering today:

BEFORE GETTING IN:
- the 2 everfrost potions don't stack, so don't count on 10% EFR towards the requirement from those -- just 5%.
- there's guild food available that boosts EFR 2% (a few different varieties), which can be clutch if you only have frostborn + relic at tier3 + makos' signet and the 2nd boon (e.g. no clothes, no reinforcement kits)

ONCE INSIDE:
- make sure your tank is rock solid (ours was!)
- consider bringing 2 DCs -- one just for healing, one just for buff/debuffing. Or, if you have a buff/debuff CW or something else, that works too.
- if you use bonding stones, make sure that you have a geared augment companion ready! I experienced companion glitches in both of the 2 boss fights I played -- shadow demon either got stuck (1st boss) or teleported behind & insta-died in the sea (2nd boss). Luckilly I had an owlbear cub to switch to -- make sure you have something as well!
- all mobs hit like trucks & the bosses have way more HP than any other dungeon boss you'll fight. I wouldn't go in expecting to complete the dungeon in under an hour unless you're using some combination of the cheezy HP/HV/Ilyanbruen sets (and even then, the lack of HP will make it very hard to stay alive).

Hope this helps anyone who's itching to get in there! ;)

EDIT: btw, if you finish Fangbreaker, please do post tips on how to survive/finish it!

Comments

• loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    This is just growing pains. A lot of us did already comfortably beat the dungeon on preview. And did roll with a classic trifecta. It's like every content. You'll need to beat the requirements by a decent margin for a decent run. Then 30-40 minute completions are very much possible.

What was so hard about the second boss? That one is just mine punting iirc.​​
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    So the reward/difficulty ratio is way lower than on all other alternatives.

Plus alleged glitches that neuter all but a single type of companion.

Official status: not worth playing.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Finished it 6 times already. I see no problems with the dungeon, just the loot sucks.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User

Finished it 6 times already. I see no problems with the dungeon, just the loot sucks.

What drops did you get fab?
    I aim to misbehave
  • hugienwnhugienwn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User

I don't see any problems with the dungeon either. I'm just warning folks who are right around 3k and expecting something like CN difficulty that they are likely in for a nasty wake-up call. :) I'm glad that you find it easy, though.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    silence1x said:

One of my guildmates got the gloves and an elemental alliance ring + campaign junk for rewards : \

Thought they said they were reworking the rewards. Makes me glad that I didn't rush to get in.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
    silence1x said:

Everything in that picture after the edemo key + 6 Rank 8 enchantments. 1 person in our party got the manticore artifact (can't remember its name.)
    hugienwn said:

I don't see any problems with the dungeon either. I'm just warning folks who are right around 3k and expecting something like CN difficulty that they are likely in for a nasty wake-up call. :) I'm glad that you find it easy, though.
    Currently we running it without a DC as we can't find 1, its not really that hard at all.
    loboguild said:

This is just growing pains. A lot of us did already comfortably beat the dungeon on preview. And did roll with a classic trifecta. It's like every content. You'll need to beat the requirements by a decent margin for a decent run. Then 30-40 minute completions are very much possible.

We had a pretty solid party IMO... everyone was over 3.5k, tank was 4k OP from Gutbusters. This wasn't a party of people who inched over the 3.1k mark yesterday -- everyone well-geared and seemed pretty experienced.

We really struggled to make much of a dent in the turtle without it growing stacks from the bodyslams. If there's some trick to weakening it or damaging it, we didn't figure it out. I did enjoy how dynamic the fight was, though. Is there something about the mines other than hitting them to sweep them away from the party?

Currently we running it without a DC as we can't find 1, its not really that hard at all.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Maybe if you try a few pug runs, you'll see my side of things. :)
  • aidek0aidek0 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Yea, I'm a 4k OP with 250k HP and we're stuck at the 2nd boss fight as well. The body slams keep on coming, buffing the turtle and eventually it kills us all. Stay close, or keeping aggro does not help at all. Any tips?
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Do you need to keep up your EF resistance level once inside, or just to que and get in?
    niadan said:

Do you need to keep up your EF resistance level once inside, or just to que and get in?

I swap gear the instant I am inside.
  • uzalauzala Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Ok my summery of FBI are as follows:
    Trash mobs not much harder than those in the big HE's in Cold Run, might be good having one dps'r run with single target encounters to pick off giants a bit faster. Other than thats its pretty straight forward.
    Collecting rings after 2nd boss can be done while in combat, so have your part pick em up fast and just run to gate and try to activate it after killing whatever mobs follow you.

Bosses:
    1st:
    Nothing special, avoid red and when avalanche is about to come, hug the rock(bosses starting position) to avoid getting tossed off the mountain.

2nd:
    Really weird mechanic with the slam stacks, we were trying with soaking steam and his melee attacks to reduce the stack, we tried with no companions, but there was no clear indication that anything was beneficial. On a kill try we had 1 stack before first submerge and three before second. And I think we killed it with a total of nine stacks(maybe it is some weird soft enrage mechanic?).
    A not very scientific observation I made was that I felt that turtle was building stacks faster with OP tanking it than a GF. Edit: Thats incorrect, both with a GF and OP it seems to gain stacks just as fast. Another note is that on kill we had 2 DC's which may be the setup needed(we ran 1 gwf, 1 cw, 2 dc's and a gf on the full clear) to deal with the mechanic unless you run with a BiS team that can brute force thru it.
    And another thing is, and correct me if I am wrong(bug), but boss seemed to "die" at approximately 20% hp and not 0, so you can have that as a goal when you try to push it down.

3rd:
    First of all, amazing encounter, for me this fight is the best so far in game. It feels great with that hectic behaviour the boss has.
    The mechanics are cool and are as follows. The "wind" does't seem to do much, so just counteract it by walking, avoid small res circles on the ground as you will get froze if you don't. At time when boss will try to freeze people she will use a mechanic that will mark you(Hyperthermia) and what you need to do is to gather the team asap on top of each other which will counter the effect, also during that phase she will use a long cast ability(she speaks briefly as she casts it) at which point the team needs to hide behind those rocks of ice.

Those are pretty much all the big things to worry about and work guys on unlocking the dungeon, its cool and challenging. And as Sharpedge said, you can as soon you enter remove all the Everfrost resist gear and just go with whatever items that suit you.

Good luck and have fun
    Post edited by uzala on
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    lol i dont even have 3k voninblood in 3 weeks
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User

• gleichgewichtnwgleichgewichtnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    Is there any group trying it with GF instead of OP?

As Tank do you swap armot back when your in or do you keep the Everfrost-Armor.

Im 4k GF and the ice rock throwing giant in that bryn shander HEs instakill me. Even if I have my shield active. With 0% everfrost resistance, I have to say.
  • slappdanielslappdaniel Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    hugienwn said:

loboguild said:

We had a pretty solid party IMO... everyone was over 3.5k, tank was 4k OP from Gutbusters. This wasn't a party of people who inched over the 3.1k mark yesterday -- everyone well-geared and seemed pretty experienced.

We really struggled to make much of a dent in the turtle without it growing stacks from the bodyslams. If there's some trick to weakening it or damaging it, we didn't figure it out. I did enjoy how dynamic the fight was, though. Is there something about the mines other than hitting them to sweep them away from the party?
    i think i was the op in this group and sadly i had to leave at turtle because i had to do stuff outside of nw. after i came back home i got together with some other people to run fbi and finished it easily with 2xgwf 2xdc 1xop. i think our group just lacked some damage (turtle needs to die fast). also there seems to be this "cool" bug again that sw can perma stun the turtle (and even endboss???!). i think the mechanics are really great and especially the endboss is alot of fun. the loot sucks though for an ~1h (~30mins for rly good group) dungeon.
    Post edited by slappdaniel on
  • archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    SW bug needs to be fixed ASAP before people trivialize the content, get their drops and never go back again.

Shame on any of you who are purposefully using the SW bug to cheese your way through content.

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!!!

I urge everyone to leave any group they find themselves in where someone is purposefully using bugs and/or glitches such as these and publicly shame those who are using them.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• fastrean3fastrean3 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    According to op's summary...its unfriendly to healdin? :/
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    fastrean3 said:

According to op's summary...its unfriendly to healdin? :/

There's just no need for healers in this game in general with so much self healing available to anyone.

Is there any group trying it with GF instead of OP?

As Tank do you swap armot back when your in or do you keep the Everfrost-Armor.

Im 4k GF and the ice rock throwing giant in that bryn shander HEs instakill me. Even if I have my shield active. With 0% everfrost resistance, I have to say.

Done it with only a GF as well, its fine if they know what they doing.
  • tanais58cranetanais58crane Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Completely and absolutely undoable for me across more than ~8 tries.

No matter how good the party setup is, even if we can melt without a single wipe our way up to it, the turtle just body slams and keeps body slamming no matter our positioning and tactics.

Yes we can survive one or two body slams.

But when it just keeps on stacking every two attacks and sometimes a slam after the next, no matter what we do we've no way to clear it, no matter the comp or quality of the team.
    The stars are falling, and the old gods silent as death, with the blood sworn to rip you down from the night sky, what cost will pose too high?
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    @thefabricant and his boss killing squad could probably give some pointers. I have yet to run it due to RL work issues but hope to give it a good try soon.
    edited September 2016
    I was finally able to beat it on my 3rd try last night. Our party was all 4k+ (except for me, lowly 3.7k). Here are my learnings to share -- some similar to those who already posted:

BOSS #1:
    the manticore has an unblockable(?), undodge-able attack in which it sprays out poisoned spines with a very wide AoE. As CW, I found that shield on tab helped me deal with the ensuing poison DoT, which hits hard (and doubly hard with everfrost damage) 4-5 times after the initial spine damage. Keeping the tank facing away from the rest of the party, similar to the last boss of Shores of Tuern, is a good plan here if possible; and, keeping your distance is also wise if you can, as the manticore's tail is also a dangerous weapon that occasionally swipes around behind it, like a dragon tail swipe.

------

BOSS #2:
    This is where my party failed 2x, as we didn't have the debuffs and/or damage to gun the dragon turtle down. On the third try, with 2 CW and a GWF, we were able to damage it quickly enough to prevent too many bodyslam stacks from building up & empowering it. I'm not sure if there's a better strategy to this fight other than having an OP who knows when to activate bubble and DPS who are good at staying alive & bringing the hurt.

------

BOSS#3:
    This was really fun -- took my group last night ~5 tries.

The charge attack and swipe attacks are fairly easy to deal with -- nothing harder than orcus.

The pillars of ice which are spawned on top of a player's current location are a neat mechanic ("permafrost"): you need to sidestep to not be caught & frozen in them, and then need to hide behind them when the "fury of winter" attack happens. If a player gets stuck in an ice pillar, the pillar will glow blue & give off sparks -- the rest of the party needs to damage that pillar (like a Valindra claw) quickly to free the player.

The periodic "pushing icy wind" attack doesn't do damage, per se, so much as force you to be aware of the environment; if you get caught at the far end of the arena, you will be pushed against the icy wall, which will deal high everfrost damage. When you see her go to wind-push, try to get as close to her as possible, then keep walking towards Drufi while she pushes & you should be fine.

The coolest attack is "hypothermia" -- one player will be targeted, and red arrows will pulse around them from 4 directions. The rest of the party needs to surround the affected player, because at the end of the hypothermia duration, the player will take a bunch of damage, but heal (or be damaged less, not sure) based on how much huddled warmth they were able to garner from the surrounding warm bodies. :) GROUP HUG!

Other than this, it was just a question of gunning her down and being careful with her frequent aggro-switches.

------

MISC:

I maintain from my original post that it would be wise to be cognizant of companions; either have an augment ready, or make sure your bonding companion is capable of attacking from afar. Shadow demon will teleport behind the dragon turtle & die right away in boss #2, for instance, and can get stuck in the manticore fight (and thus unable to build bonding stack).

I'd also suggest buying a handful of Scrolls of Life / Scrolls of Mass Life from the Tarmalune Trade Bar store... suuuper clutch, and not very expensive.

------

Hope this helps folks who were/are struggling like I was/am!

PS: the loot sucks XD
  • gleichgewichtnwgleichgewichtnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Stupid question, but my main motivation for FBI, since the loot is bad.

In The campaign there was not one little lore entrie to find. Are there any ones in FBI? Do I miss anything around the story, if I dont play it?
  • rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    If anyone's interested we published a guide for FBI, full of tips, etc. You can find it here :)
  • hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    rinat's video is legit.Crusaders did it ,kudos to a good team.

What i keep from this thread:

1.Crusaders done it with a well geared group with a good portion of effort given.Video provided.

2.Others also done it,claim it is easy ,very easy but no video.Not even a screenshot to see party's composition.I want to see if there is a SW there.Sw is a fine class :)I enjoy to see them play :)

3.Others find it unbeatable

4.One warns that the SW uses a bug to pass through.i suspect which is but i abide to the rules of the forum and i will not indicate anything.

----------------------------

2 and 4 might have a relation to each other,maybe not..who knows?I don't say or indicating anything ,we all know how honourable Nw community is. :)

edited September 2016

rinat's video is legit.Crusaders did it ,kudos to a good team.

What i keep from this thread:

1.Crusaders done it with a well geared group with a good portion of effort given.Video provided.

2.Others also done it,claim it is easy ,very easy but no video.Not even a screenshot to see party's composition.I want to see if there is a SW there.Sw is a fine class :)I enjoy to see them play :)

3.Others find it unbeatable

4.One warns that the SW uses a bug to pass through.i suspect which is but i abide to the rules of the forum and i will not indicate anything.

----------------------------

2 and 4 might have a relation to each other,maybe not..who knows?I don't say or indicating anything ,we all know how honourable Nw community is. :)

@hypervoreian here is a screenshot from a run I recorded, you can expect to see a video of it ;) Looks to me like its a fraction of the lengths of lia's run as well.