test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How long is it supposed to take to Unlock Fangbreaker's Island?

Comments

• weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

weaver936 said:

It would be nice if the Devs would explain their reasoning for putting the time needed to access Fangbreaker's Island so far away.

Hi weaver936, I'd be glad to! There are a number of reasons we often gate a new dungeon behind some level of campaign completion but in the case of Fangbreaker there are two standout reasons.

One, there is an everfrost resistance requirement on Fangbreaker Island, as well as a much higher item level requirement than many previous contents. For those that don't frequent the preview server or read developer blogs, the new dungeon appearing in the queue list will be their first time seeing these requirements. We want to give everyone an opportunity to improve their item level and start earning everfrost resistance in the meantime without feeling completely rushed.

Two, it gives us a bit of extra time to make some last minute tweaks based on feedback from our preview server. Endgame content like new dungeons or trials requires a lot of coordination between our departments and usually isn't ready for balancing feedback until late in the development cycle. We're working to try to get this sort of content on preview earlier, but having the extra week or two after a module launches to get those final adjustments and bugfixes in helps to ensure higher quality content.

Hope that answers your question!

P.S. We're aware of an issue wherein on live right now there are no everfrost resistance requirements displaying on the queue. For those wondering the requirement is 31% and it should be visible by the time the queue is available. I apologize for any inconvenience the display issue has caused.

TY, @asterdahl for such an OPEN and HONEST response. Both of your stated reasons are things I had considered as possible motives for you guys, i just didn't want to put them out there and have you guys say "hey, that sounds good, we'll use that." lol. I suddenly feel a level of closeness and trust in you guys i hadn't for a long time.

Responding to the community in the way you have just done will go a very long way to bridging the divide that has developed between the Devs and the more long term gamers that have been playing NW for so long. I honestly thank you for giving me the opportunity to have a faith in the Devs that is more based on communication than me imagining good and noble motives on their behalf. :D.

That being said. There are MANY of us that have been well over 3100 IL for a very long time. Everfrost is indeed a pain... but I for one would rather be allowed to attempt something... and get my butt handed to me and learn what I need to do to adapt to the challenge (and once I achieve victory then feel like I EARNED it) than to be funneled into something that once I grind through the easy version... the dungeon will feel like a cake walk.

In other words.. if I am forced to have all my ducks in a row before I attempt something.. the challenge of first being totally inept... learning how to adapt, then overcoming will be stolen from me. I understand that the vast majority of the community seems to want to have things handed to them.. and might just rage if it's too hard at first.. and then maybe even quit the game. But, that really has been what I have seen as a major contributor to the low challenge tendencies of this game over all.

From the introduction of the Strongholds I have seen a steady effort on the part of the Devs to make Guilds and Organised gameplay of actual use in the game (unlike Mod 6 and previously). And this has been greatly encouraging. I played FBI on the Preview and with 3100 IL and lvl 20 Sh guild boons it was still challenging... insanely at first :D. That made me SOOOOO excited for Mod 10... but.. I'm DREADING 3 weeks of bleh to even get another shot at it outside the Preview server.

TY guys for the response and ty for all the work you do. But, please.. for the love of Sune... (or whoever)... give us long timers somthing to continually strive to excel at... not something that gets old after a month of play (or 2 months because of a months wait to open it).
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    Thanks @asterdahl for that answer, it helps explain things really well!

I did have a follow-up questions about your PS:
    asterdahl said:

P.S. We're aware of an issue wherein on live right now there are no everfrost resistance requirements displaying on the queue. For those wondering the requirement is 31% and it should be visible by the time the queue is available. I apologize for any inconvenience the display issue has caused.

I saw that the new 4-piece armor sets grant up 20% EF resist, the boons up to 4% more. Does that mean everyone will need to be drinking an EF-resist potion and stew when they queue for Fangbreaker Island? Or am I misunderstanding things?

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    dupeks said:

Thanks @asterdahl for that answer, it helps explain things really well!

I did have a follow-up questions about your PS:

asterdahl said:

I saw that the new 4-piece armor sets grant up 20% EF resist, the boons up to 4% more. Does that mean everyone will need to be drinking an EF-resist potion and stew when they queue for Fangbreaker Island? Or am I misunderstanding things?
    We also get access as we unlock campaign stuffs to new pants and shirt AND reinforcement kits that go on any pants and shirts, all for adding EF resist (new stat combo and set bonus on the undies as well), but that all does sound like needing to tick off a whole lot of boxes to get enough EF resist just to get your toe in the door.

I don't really mind needing to make the potions part of a dungeon buff routine. They don't seem particularly needed for normal questing. The SH stew, some people might resent being forced to spend guild marks on.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    And... so... the 2 Major Armor Kits i put on my Dusk will really not help me get into FBI... 400k gone for nothing... except maybe I can use them for CN farming.. lol

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    null
    I feel your pain, once mod 10 drops on xbox, my 4 major armor kits (like 850k ad there) will be useless as well lol.
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Hey Asterdahl - I'm trying to work out how toons are even going to make a 31% requirement without fully empowered gear (and a full set at that - which would require all the Frostborn pieces, including the ones from the Zen store). I know on preview we had reinforcement kits that applied to under garments, if we have the undergarments that already have the EF Resist, and apply the kit, does it stack?

Also, 31%? You ouldn't help us with OCD and just make it 30%? *twitching*
  • d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    @asterdahl it would be great to have the ability to upload console characters to the preview server. More free bug testers = win
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2016

We also get access as we unlock campaign stuffs to new pants and shirt AND reinforcement kits that go on any pants and shirts, all for adding EF resist (new stat combo and set bonus on the undies as well), but that all does sound like needing to tick off a whole lot of boxes to get enough EF resist just to get your toe in the door.

I don't really mind needing to make the potions part of a dungeon buff routine. They don't seem particularly needed for normal questing. The SH stew, some people might resent being forced to spend guild marks on.

As you pointed out, there are numerous ways to increase your everfrost resistance, however, rest assured that while the soup will be an option to meet the requirement, there are ways to meet that requirement that don't involve soup.

Hey Asterdahl - I'm trying to work out how toons are even going to make a 31% requirement without fully empowered gear (and a full set at that - which would require all the Frostborn pieces, including the ones from the Zen store). I know on preview we had reinforcement kits that applied to under garments, if we have the undergarments that already have the EF Resist, and apply the kit, does it stack?

Also, 31%? You ouldn't help us with OCD and just make it 30%? *twitching*

The undergarment and reinforcement kits do in fact stack. In addition, while it will be easier to meet the requirement if you obtain frostborn armor, we explicitly balanced the requirement so that you can reach it without frostborn armor. The frostborn armor also provides significantly lower everfrost resistance than relic armor, we didn't want a trade bar set to feel like it was necessary.

Also in regards to the 31%, I feel your pain! We balanced this number around the pieces we wanted players to obtain before entering. Originally it was a rating system so it wasn't nearly as egregious a number.
    ribbs1 said:

You said in another thread that it was ready to go at launch. Now you're saying it isn't ready. This is exactly what I thought was happening and you outright denied it. Why should we believe you now?

Hi ribbs1! You are correct, I did say that. And it's still true, the launch build's version of Fangbreaker was in fact "ready to go." It was tuned based on 2 weeks of preview feedback and data, and major issues had been addressed. I also made that statement knowing we had a planned update before Fangbreaker would become available on live. This isn't a case where we're trying to get some last minute fixes in and added some extra padding. We built this time to review preview data into our original plan. If any of my communication felt like deception I'd like to apologize.

Keep in mind that when we make a change it can't immediately go out the door and onto the live build. On the rare occasion we have to act fast to fix something, and there are some areas of the game that can be adjusted without a build, but those are few and far between.

Generally, we like to have at least a week at minimum between when a change is made and when it goes live to give our QA team ample time to verify those fixes. This is especially true with something like a new dungeon where minor tweaks could make a boss unplayable.
  • jaysun1977jaysun1977 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

The undergarment and reinforcement kits do in fact stack.

@asterdahl
    Is this unique to the undergarments and Frost resistance kits? On test you could not place FR kits on armor that already had FR on it. Did that requirement change? Can you now place FR kits on armor that already has FR or are the undergaments an exception to the rule?

asterdahl said:

The undergarment and reinforcement kits do in fact stack.

@asterdahl
    Is this unique to the undergarments and Frost resistance kits? On test you could not place FR kits on armor that already had FR on it. Did that requirement change? Can you now place FR kits on armor that already has FR or are the undergaments an exception to the rule?
    I think he meant the FR bonus from the Shirt/pants stack with the FR bonus from the Kit. Not that you can have mulitple kits on one item.

• cromejohnsencromejohnsen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    OK i dont really get you Asterdahl. You say that we get the 31% without the Frostborn armour but with the relic armor which we can only obtain the shoes from HEs right now. The rest of the gear however can only be obtained via FBI which is locked behind said 31%. Anyone willing to tell me how to get 31% now ? And dont tell me you are supposed to get said pants and shirts and reinforcement kits, because they literally are abysmal compared to the ones we have right now.
    I dont know who told you guys "yeah we need the 31%" which does not even help any class besides a tank to survive in FBI.
    Right now you are either one hit dead or not. The damage numbers are so high its not fun at all staying as a melee in a pack of 6 giants. They are all control immune and throwing red circles like crazy of which every one hits for more than 200k Everfrost dmg, even with the relic armor on PTR.
    So please anyone willing to do the math without relic gear and frostborn armour? Is there a third hidden armor which can be obtained? If so enlighten us all because i do not see myself buying that helmet for 400k AD from the AH. And all that for a dungeon which nets us less than CN but takes about 4-5 times the amount of time.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    asterdahl said:

As you pointed out, there are numerous ways to increase your everfrost resistance, however, rest assured that while the soup will be an option to meet the requirement, there are ways to meet that requirement that don't involve soup.

The undergarment and reinforcement kits do in fact stack. In addition, while it will be easier to meet the requirement if you obtain frostborn armor, we explicitly balanced the requirement so that you can reach it without frostborn armor. The frostborn armor also provides significantly lower everfrost resistance than relic armor, we didn't want a trade bar set to feel like it was necessary.

Also in regards to the 31%, I feel your pain! We balanced this number around the pieces we wanted players to obtain before entering. Originally it was a rating system so it wasn't nearly as egregious a number.

OK, maybe I'm missing something here but I cannot see how you can realistically reach 31% everfrost resistance without using Frostborn Armour. I've looked at the info I can access on Live and over on the Preview Server and I've come up with the following 'obtainable' items:

2nd Boon = 2%
    (4th Boon = 2% but doesn't count as you need 350 Reputation which is more than you need to reach FBI)
    Potion of Everfrost Resist (Blue bottle) = 5%
    Excavator's Potion of Everfrost Resist = 5% (but potions don't stack anymore)
    Makos' Signet = 3% (though I'm not sure where you get this)
    Greater Everfrost Trousers = 3%
    Greater Everfrost Undercoat = 3%
    Everfrost Resist Armor Kit = 3% = 6% when applied to both undergarments
    Cawl Cennin (soup ?) = 2%
    Trailblazer's Raid Gaiters (Maxed) = 8% (but hard to get as they are a rare drop from large HEs)

So, unless the potions can stack this does not add up to 31% but only 26%. Is there another item that gives 5% that I've overlooked ?

Whoops, forgot the Armour Enhancement Kits which take you to 32%. But even then, you still have to be lucky enough to have a set of Epic Boots drop from an HE to hit your target. So, realistically speaking, players WILL need to pick up Frostborn Armour to get to FBI as it will be the only way to get enough everfrost resistance. This leads to another problem. Frostborn Armour is only ilevel 135 so people wearing Elemental Drowcraft (ilvl 140) or Elemental Dragonflight (ilvl 142) who switch to it to meet the everfrost resistance requirement may also need to upgrade some of their other gear to make up for the loss in ilvl points.

Are you sure you have really thought this through ?

weaver936 said:

I think he meant the FR bonus from the Shirt/pants stack with the FR bonus from the Kit. Not that you can have mulitple kits on one item.

I am not talking about multiple kits, though. On test, for example, you could not place a FR kit on a relic armor piece or a frostborn piece. It gave you the error message that it could not be placed on items that already have Everfrost Resistance.

If they work on FR underwear that is a major difference and it begs the question whether that is an intended change from the way the kits worked on test or whether it is item specific for underwear.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    The boots are not that hard to get from the HEs. If you get a good group going in BS, you'll get them within an hour or so. I'd do it now though before the horde moves on.

I think they also plan to give us 1 of the pieces to make the boots too with the next patch.

This still really feels to me like something that will be fun to complete the first few times (FBI that is), and then people move back to easier, more risk-versus-reward appropriate content. I'm all for a challenge, but once that challenge is over...deep down, people want to be rewarded.

The boots are not that hard to get from the HEs. If you get a good group going in BS, you'll get them within an hour or so. I'd do it now though before the horde moves on.

I think they also plan to give us 1 of the pieces to make the boots too with the next patch.

This still really feels to me like something that will be fun to complete the first few times (FBI that is), and then people move back to easier, more risk-versus-reward appropriate content. I'm all for a challenge, but once that challenge is over...deep down, people want to be rewarded.

I did run around with an HE zerg group for around an hour on Sunday evening in Lonelywood and got a Lanolin drop for my trouble but no boots yet. Are the boots only dropping in BS or can you get them in Lonelywood too ?

• reposterzreposterz Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    People I know that are not 3.1k or beyond item level feel that the tier 3 dungeon would probably be a hard chore to try and clear. So basically they advice me and themselves to relax and play the old content.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Can someone please write a DETAILED new post on how im suppose to get 31% Everfrost Resist. Including HOW DO I get each item.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    these yetis in that weekly quest are almost not soloable, at the first run, Wulfgar help, and on 2nd run, i had to do it alone. they hit way too hard that almost way too much of "challenges" to be balanced. not easy to ignore those wolves when they do shut down you defense blocks, little too much "chain" stunnings effect.

i used those winter resist potions, it only barely enough to survive, just need better green potions. those current green grade potion seem not enough.

i noticed when i tried health potions, it seem they dont work after the cooldowns expired. dont have full stock of new "70" level health potions, since it hit fast and hard.
    i only got 2.9k item score, it is still little rough, and i doubt that any of my alts would survive.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    qexotic said:

I did run around with an HE zerg group for around an hour on Sunday evening in Lonelywood and got a Lanolin drop for my trouble but no boots yet. Are the boots only dropping in BS or can you get them in Lonelywood too ?

I got three pair of boots from the HEs in Bryn ...i got none in Lonely after doing the constant Boring, Annoying HEs
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    I only have 80k HP and i have no problem soloing weeklies, it is easy and fast for me and im a dc.

qexotic said:

I got three pair of boots from the HEs in Bryn ...i got none in Lonely after doing the constant Boring, Annoying HEs
    Oh dear, looks like I will have to drag myself back to Bryn for the HEs in there :(

wylonus said:

these yetis in that weekly quest are almost not soloable, at the first run, Wulfgar help, and on 2nd run, i had to do it alone. they hit way too hard that almost way too much of "challenges" to be balanced. not easy to ignore those wolves when they do shut down you defense blocks, little too much "chain" stunnings effect.

i used those winter resist potions, it only barely enough to survive, just need better green potions. those current green grade potion seem not enough.

i noticed when i tried health potions, it seem they dont work after the cooldowns expired. dont have full stock of new "70" level health potions, since it hit fast and hard.
    i only got 2.9k item score, it is still little rough, and i doubt that any of my alts would survive.

My SW is only 2.7k ilvl and she can handle this quest without any problems. Which class are you ? Are you using a summoned companion and if so which one ? The main tactic I use is 'hit and run' with emphasis on the running :)

qexotic said:

You get the Boots in Bryn. Lonelywood drops the animal fat.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    qexotic said:

Whoops, forgot the Armour Enhancement Kits which take you to 32%. But even then, you still have to be lucky enough to have a set of Epic Boots drop from an HE to hit your target. So, realistically speaking, players WILL need to pick up Frostborn Armour to get to FBI as it will be the only way to get enough everfrost resistance.

As others have pointed out the drop rate on the footwear is actually quite reasonable, so we don't think the frostborn armor should feel necessary. However, the percentage you pointed out, 32%, is in fact the correct amount you can earn before entering Fangbreaker, or before reaching the 4th boon.

My statement that you'll be able to meet the requirement without frostborn is correct, however, my statement that you won't need soup was incorrect. I'll be the first to admit I made a mistake there due to some miscommunication on our end. I spoke with our campaign designer about the required reputation for the boon vs. the dungeon, we've adjusted the entry requirements on Fangbreaker to 28%.

That change is already in our build and will be going out before the dungeon is available in lieu of the aforementioned fix to 31%, so there shouldn't be any confusion for those watching the queue description. This does mean it will be a little bit harder to survive going in, but overall our goal was that you could be short one of the smaller pieces or make a choice not to use the ring for instance.