test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Too old to play online games?

mercedesmanmercedesman Member Posts: 200 Arc User
I believe that I am getting too old to play online games in general. My level of frustration with the quality of people that end up playing online games seems to never end. Simple things that make no sense to me make me wonder what in the world is going on with our society as a whole. A simple example is the person who waits until you kill the Thayans and then swoops in while you are killing the last guy and takes the wizard bag. Not much of offense but a general HAMSTER bag move for sure. When you thank that person for their stupidity they simply respond "nooob" and then "get ignored".. wow.. if I were a betting man, I would say that was the classic work of a kid and if he/her were mine they would be missing part of their body or be sleeping softly in a shallow grave. What drives people to be this way.. is it too much work to be polite and courteous to others? How about those people you pick up 2-3 times because they cannot live through a demonic fight and then they call you names? Where is the logic in this? Sorry for the rant.. have more fun picking on this post but just thought I would vent for a few.

Comments

• clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    I don't think this has anything to do with age, the type that swoops in and steals that wizard bag, they existed a thousand years ago and they will exist in a thousand years time. I do think venting is good, but I think you will very soon realize after you have cooled down (and believe me I have had the same anger at times) that is just how it is.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Nothing to do with age. It all has to do with the ethics of the players. The quest item ninja looters are lowlife opportunist thieves. When someone ninja loots me, I just follow them and do the same back to them, until I'm done with my quest or that person leaves the instance.
  • duryntedurynte Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2016

[...] example is the person who waits until you kill the Thayans and then swoops in while you are killing the last guy and takes the wizard bag. Not much of offense but a general HAMSTER bag move for sure. When you thank that person for their stupidity they simply respond "nooob" and then "get ignored".. wow..

I wispered somebody but once for a ninja, and got an excuse and the offer to have them do the next fight and let me have the loot. That was back in mod 6, when it actually took some time to k.o. a mob squad. If your instance has too many peeps competing for loot, change the instance. Or the day.

if I were a betting man [...]

That is Portobellos traps line!
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    This is more a design problem. Some quests allow several people to click the target, others share it with everyone. If other players couldn't steal quest objectives in all quests, then this wouldn't be a problem.
    Changing instance to one where less people are is a horrible solution, considering this is a multiplayer game. Why am I forced to avoid others?
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    LOL... most of CA is over the age of 35... so I rarely see this kind of stuff. Believe me... I have had bones taken from me, prisoners taken from me, messengers taken from me... usually after they pull the entire map to my doorstep. They clean up while I am busy killing. I laugh at the humanity" of it all. I can promise you that they are kids... they are wealthy and they feel entitled to whatever it is they desire.
    Also... IRL... these kids would not have the balls to do anything of the sort. They are usually impotent, scrawny shitheads who think that tough words make you a man.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    All I can say is welcome to the lack of accountability for one's actions on the Internet. I'm 38 and those sorts of actions make me want to wish that the Force were real or something, so I could e-slap them, but.....it is what it is.

It's not just this game, either--it's the gaming culture in general. "Claim faster, run faster, blah blah blah because you snooze, you lose!!" is the mantra these days. And it sucks like a starving black hole.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • mercedesmanmercedesman Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    Thanks for the comments.. it isn't so much that the person took my loot but the mind set behind thinking that it was either cute to do it and HAMSTER me off or the blatant disregard for what is common and decent. If I feel that I have intervened on a fight and the person didn't want me to, I ask and apologize. If I come last to a fight to get an item that is retrievable by all, then I go last at getting it.. because that is what we are civilized people should do in any setting not just a game. I used to play counter strike all the time and that environment got VERY toxic and I found that Neverwinter seemed to be made up of mature adults mostly that made the game a pleasure to play. The good news is that this doesn't happen too often to me but when It does it just sets me off.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User

Thanks for the comments.. it isn't so much that the person took my loot but the mind set behind thinking that it was either cute to do it and HAMSTER me off or the blatant disregard for what is common and decent. If I feel that I have intervened on a fight and the person didn't want me to, I ask and apologize. If I come last to a fight to get an item that is retrievable by all, then I go last at getting it.. because that is what we are civilized people should do in any setting not just a game. I used to play counter strike all the time and that environment got VERY toxic and I found that Neverwinter seemed to be made up of mature adults mostly that made the game a pleasure to play. The good news is that this doesn't happen too often to me but when It does it just sets me off.

There are rotten apples in EVERY crowd. Sometimes an MMO is merely a microcosm of society at large. Except that society has no ignore list. :smile:

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • mjonismjonis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    Well sometimes it's not their fault. Cryptic is not consistent in which quests drop things that only you can see and things that are a free for all. And there's no obvious message/pop-up/color-coding that tells you "hey, these drops are for you and you're the only one that can see them, so feel free" or "hey, this is a free for all, so play nice".
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    mjonis said:

Well sometimes it's not their fault. Cryptic is not consistent in which quests drop things that only you can see and things that are a free for all. And there's no obvious message/pop-up/color-coding that tells you "hey, these drops are for you and you're the only one that can see them, so feel free" or "hey, this is a free for all, so play nice".

It is still their fault. If one is not sure, how bout exercising some self-control and let the person who was there first pick it up or walk away before grabbing it.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Currently the people who are going around the door in the beholder event dungeon are upsetting me. You are so impatient that you can't wait 5 seconds? So now they end up waiting a much longer time before I get in the circle to group up at the beholder. Because karma.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Currently the people who are going around the door in the beholder event dungeon are upsetting me. You are so impatient that you can't wait 5 seconds? So now they end up waiting a much longer time before I get in the circle to group up at the beholder. Because karma.

Ah yes, because we all know two wrong really do make things right.

Shameful behavior is still shameful, regardless of the reasons or the justification.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    It's a matter of immaturity + anonymity + frustrating game mechanics. If they simply made it so the enemies dropped the items, that said items were assigned to each player individually, and that you had to deal X% of the damage in order for an enemy to drop the item, then there wouldn't be these issues.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    What kids today are taught in America - it has to do with age and the 'Me Generation' and "Wealth Redistribution" which is mandatorily redistributed from you and me to 'Them'.

I don't think this has anything to do with age, the type that swoops in and steals that wizard bag, they existed a thousand years ago and they will exist in a thousand years time. I do think venting is good, but I think you will very soon realize after you have cooled down (and believe me I have had the same anger at times) that is just how it is.

I don't think this has anything to do with age, the type that swoops in and steals that wizard bag, they existed a thousand years ago and they will exist in a thousand years time.

Well, yes. but "back in the days" those people found themselves shunned and ignored by the general community. There was a certain level of respect for your fellow gamers. If not volutarily, then there was a certain social force pushing you towards a certain behavior.

These days it's different. MMOs are bigger now with a much larger population and the rules are different. I remember being a moderator for a game where KSing people from your "side" of the game's story resulted in a 3-day ban as well as not getting any help during PvP or dungeons, leveling and quests from the community. People these days act under the assumption that it's "their game" and being rude to people has no consequences. in part because there's no way to actually shut someone out of your -and likeminded people's- game in part because putting someone on ignore has no effect outside chat and in part because for every person you "abuse" there's 500 more who won't know what kind of a jerk you are and will still help you.

With that in mind, I too feel like the OP now and then and it's my major reason for being in a guild in this game. I'm getting too old to want to worry about people like that and refuse to pug anything. Even Respen.
    You got that right.

This is more a design problem. Some quests allow several people to click the target, others share it with everyone. If other players couldn't steal quest objectives in all quests, then this wouldn't be a problem.
    Changing instance to one where less people are is a horrible solution, considering this is a multiplayer game. Why am I forced to avoid others?

And it's in WoD where 'Quests can't be shared' which is OK in MMO, but Cooperation is the middle name in D&D.
    bioshrike said:

It's a matter of immaturity + anonymity + frustrating game mechanics. If they simply made it so the enemies dropped the items, that said items were assigned to each player individually, and that you had to deal X% of the damage in order for an enemy to drop the item, then there wouldn't be these issues.

Since we're talking about WoD and they do this with the Tiamat and Dragon Herald runs, why can't they do it with the Quests?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User

bioshrike said:

Since we're talking about WoD and they do this with the Tiamat and Dragon Herald runs, why can't they do it with the Quests?
    Don't get me wrong - I wish they did.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ilmenirailmenira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    bioshrike said:

+
    there is often aggressivity, lack of consideration etc pp in game
    sometimes it's favorized by game design (as here, especially when there are too few objects... that quest is rather bothersome)

... these unfavorable situations
    that can blacken our mood
    happen often in neverwinter

i started seeing them as *special challenge*
    sometimes they even seem to be the main challenge here... really tough!
    a practice ground
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2016

I believe that I am getting too old to play online games in general. My level of frustration with the quality of people that end up playing online games seems to never end. Simple things that make no sense to me make me wonder what in the world is going on with our society as a whole. A simple example is the person who waits until you kill the Thayans and then swoops in while you are killing the last guy and takes the wizard bag. Not much of offense but a general HAMSTER bag move for sure. When you thank that person for their stupidity they simply respond "nooob" and then "get ignored".. wow.. if I were a betting man, I would say that was the classic work of a kid and if he/her were mine they would be missing part of their body or be sleeping softly in a shallow grave. What drives people to be this way.. is it too much work to be polite and courteous to others? How about those people you pick up 2-3 times because they cannot live through a demonic fight and then they call you names? Where is the logic in this? Sorry for the rant.. have more fun picking on this post but just thought I would vent for a few.

I feel like you. I don't know your age but for me i remember playing outside before online games ever happened. But today you have people that have been online most of their lives. They don't know you and don't think anything is wrong because of it. I look for games that let me solo play now. I don't even talk to anyone which is sad. The last time i was in a guild they did nothing but fight over raid spots. Every guild but one that i ever was in sucked badly. And now they don't even send you a whisper to join its all blind invites now. Online gaming has changed alot since 1999. There are many that feel like you do my friend. I can't remember the last time i had an intelligent chat with someone in an mmo.
    Post edited by jarfaru on
  • donnythdonnyth Member Posts: 122 Arc User

Here's a simple trick. After he does that to you, follow him but keep out of view like a ninja. Then when he goes to kill mobs, you go steal his quest item. Now you're even. Boom!
    Secrets of the Ring ID: nw-dt25qalqy
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    Has nothing to do age really, it's more about the mentality of people wanting quick resolutions in grindy mmos with minimal effort.

Just take this artificier's workshop trial for instance, since it's the weekend, you'll start noticing the leechers in force. Unlike previous event skirmishes where they are used to waiting at the campfire and get rewarded, this skirmish requires you to activate group circles twice. I just came from a couple of runs where everyone else had to wait up to 5 minutes before we could convince the leecher to move from the campfire, since we couldn't kick him.

I was so disgusted that I stopped playing. The mindset of wasting other people's time because of personal reasons is very immature.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    In games where you can name and shame people... the rotten apples don't win
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • eltecheltech Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    ​​
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    I don't mind people joining to kill things that drop rewards for both, but if somebody ninja loots me on purpose, I will pull everything but the kitchen sink on them. Recently I was looking for mount insignias and was clearing a group of Thayans to get a (fitting) thievery node. When there was only one enemy left, this scourge warlock swooped in with shadow slip and stole the node right below my feet before flitting away. They then continued to quest in the area like nothing happened, so I just hung back and waited for them to activate Dreadtheft on a mini boss. That's when I pulled every single mob I could reach and brought them to this warlock. Needless to say, he didn't survive the ordeal as well as my tank.

Another tip I can give is that if somebody tries to steal your loot, always stand directly on top of skill nodes and chests while you fight enemies. It normally at least discourages thieves, but don't make the same mistake I did and leave the single-targeting add for last. Always keep the big guy with targetless aoe instead.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    is being ninja'd all that prevalent. I haven't done dailies etc. for a while but I think in my time levelling 3 toons up to 70 I've only been ninja'd 2 or 3 times.
    lantern22 said:

is being ninja'd all that prevalent. I haven't done dailies etc. for a while but I think in my time levelling 3 toons up to 70 I've only been ninja'd 2 or 3 times.

Unfortunately it is quite common. Many areas have limited quest targets (Sharandar comes to mind), and people act like this. That's why I always change to the least populated instance there. But as I said, that's a really sad solution. I see another player and think "dang it, please go away".

The game population consists mosty of exploiters, boters, 14 y.o. boys simulatng alchohol abuse in the Inn and people having diverse social issues that can not afford to pay for a p2p game. The little fraction that plays the game couse of good old DnD is just that, a fraction...

Don't forget those people that think they are better than others...