test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Group Class Make-Up

kssherrellkssherrell Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Hi Everyone,

Myself and some friends (5 of us) are looking to make a fun and well-balanced group for some very casual dungeon and skirmish runs. To be honest, we're not the "best" players so having our group composition be well balanced with good synergies would be nice to help offset our noobness. I would appreciate any advice other players have. Thank you!

-Octavius

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User

Hi Everyone,

Myself and some friends (5 of us) are looking to make a fun and well-balanced group for some very casual dungeon and skirmish runs. To be honest, we're not the "best" players so having our group composition be well balanced with good synergies would be nice to help offset our noobness. I would appreciate any advice other players have. Thank you!

-Octavius

Here's what I'd suggest, (and please keep in mind that this is my preference):

1. Tanking Paladin
    2. Devoted Cleric
    3. Control Wizard
    4. Great Weapon Fighter, (I like to have an off-tank specced GWF on my team)
    5. This last slot is kind of open - you could go for a debuffing Warlock, or a buffing Ranger - any class that helps bolster the performance of the other team members.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    A good general group composition would be:
    1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps.

A more specific group composition that I would recommend is:
    1 GF, 1 DC, 1 MoF CW, 2 DPS

If you want a class by class break down of what I think would work best for your circumstances, a fail safe group that is unlikely to be nerfed and will blast through all content easily and with no bug abuse or questionable mechanics then:

Tactician GF
    Righteous AA DC
    MoF Ren Buffer/Debuffer CW
    Hunter Ranger Trapper
    Destroyer GWF

This party composition will handle everything with ease.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    I just want to emphasize that while "1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps" is a good idea for all-around play, you really can pick any class that fits those categories and will do just fine.

Tank: Prot OP or GF both work
    Healer: Devotion OP or DC both work fine
    DPS: any combination will do fine. Variety is good, but you could do ok with 3 TRs.

People who say you "need" a <*insert paragon/class here*> or else your party will be fail, just mean that some fights might take 30 seconds longer.

You're a group of friends, so let everyone play what is fun for them.
  • Options
    kssherrellkssherrell Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Thank you all so much! That was very helpful. :smile:
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited April 2016

If you want a class by class break down of what I think would work best for your circumstances, a fail safe group that is unlikely to be nerfed and will blast through all content easily and with no bug abuse or questionable mechanics then:

Tactician GF
    Righteous AA DC
    Hunter Ranger Trapper
    Destroyer GWF

@thefabricant

8#$&% #2*$^ 5##$ !$&^%
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    ^ agree

Tank - probably GF at the moment if the nerf to OP goes through
    DC - heals, buffs and debuffs
    GWF - at the moment best DPS
    CW - give some DPS and control

and then finish it off with whatever DPS you prefer

Have a read of some guides on the class you are choosing, there are some paths that are much better than others - i.e. oppressor (CW paragon) is HAMSTER at end game. So unless you want to repec when you get to lvl 70, best to have an idea of what works from the start.

• Options
    micky1p00 said:

Tactician GF
    Righteous AA DC
    Hunter Ranger Trapper
    Destroyer GWF

@thefabricant

8#$&% #2*$^ 5##$ !$&^%
    @micky1p00 I am sorry you will have to translate that for me, I do not speak grawlixes. Furthermore, in my opinion if you are not counting questionable mechanics (SW) and you are looking a party that can do things as fast and efficiently as possible, then yes, I do consider the one I listed the best. Why? GF for buffs+tanking, DC for buffs + damage mitigation, CW for buffs, GWF to kill stuff, HR to kill stuff + provide fox. True, every single party composition in this game is viable, but that is not what the OP is asking, the OP is asking what will give them the easiest time and long term, if you are including things like upcoming class nerfs, the party composition I am suggesting is actually one of the strongest. Would I say they have to go with it? No, but its my opinion and I am entitled to it.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User

micky1p00 said:

Tactician GF
    Righteous AA DC
    Hunter Ranger Trapper
    Destroyer GWF

@thefabricant

8#$&% #2*$^ 5##$ !$&^%
    @micky1p00 I am sorry you will have to translate that for me, I do not speak grawlixes. Furthermore, in my opinion if you are not counting questionable mechanics (SW) and you are looking a party that can do things as fast and efficiently as possible, then yes, I do consider the one I listed the best. Why? GF for buffs+tanking, DC for buffs + damage mitigation, CW for buffs, GWF to kill stuff, HR to kill stuff + provide fox. True, every single party composition in this game is viable, but that is not what the OP is asking, the OP is asking what will give them the easiest time and long term, if you are including things like upcoming class nerfs, the party composition I am suggesting is actually one of the strongest. Would I say they have to go with it? No, but its my opinion and I am entitled to it.
    He is "pissed" coz there is no TR in there, i bet :P

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    There are many choices, any composition can clear things. Whats more important is what kind of role each person wants to be.

Healer: DC (have a very balance set of spells)
    Tank: OP. (GF is gear dependant)
    DPS: GWF (easiest/highest)
    CW: good debuffs, CC average damage
    HR: good damage, CCs, flexible buffing/support.

TRs and SWs are a kinda one trick ponies and hardest/trickiest to do solo quests with.

These are my suggestions if you and your friends don't want to spend or buy much things from the auction house. You should be able to finish most content with just blues/stuff you find, due to the amount of CC and support skills each class has.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

micky1p00 said:

Tactician GF
    Righteous AA DC
    Hunter Ranger Trapper
    Destroyer GWF

@thefabricant

8#$&% #2*$^ 5##$ !$&^%
    ohhh for the love of pointy hats, don't leave your sense of humor 'at the door' when posting...

micky1p00 said:

Tactician GF
    Righteous AA DC
    Hunter Ranger Trapper
    Destroyer GWF

@thefabricant

8#$&% #2*$^ 5##$ !$&^%

(Sin)cerely
    Kain
    ^
  • Options
    micky1p00 said:

micky1p00 said:

Tactician GF
    Righteous AA DC
    Hunter Ranger Trapper
    Destroyer GWF

@thefabricant

8#$&% #2*$^ 5##$ !$&^%
    ohhh for the love of pointy hats, don't leave your sense of humor 'at the door' when posting...

micky1p00 said:

Tactician GF
    Righteous AA DC
    Hunter Ranger Trapper
    Destroyer GWF

@thefabricant

8#$&% #2*$^ 5##$ !$&^%

(Sin)cerely
    Kain
    ^
    Oh, I am sorry, I was tired and going to sleep when responding, so my sense of humour may have already passed out :p
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    One suggestion I'd like to add to the above posts is that you each have different characters, too. That way you can switch around the party setup a bit as you wish, and the person who rolled the tank, doesn't always have to play his or her GF, but can have a round of blowing things up with a Control Wizard too. Would also mean that people get more familiar with what other people in the group are doing, skill and feat wise.

Added bonus to having multiple characters at - at least - 60 is that you'll get, through a quest, access to their Class Sigil which is basicly a free, reclaimable artifact.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User

I just want to emphasize that while "1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps" is a good idea for all-around play, you really can pick any class that fits those categories and will do just fine.

Tank: Prot OP or GF both work
    Healer: Devotion OP or DC both work fine
    DPS: any combination will do fine. Variety is good, but you could do ok with 3 TRs.

People who say you "need" a <*insert paragon/class here*> or else your party will be fail, just mean that some fights might take 30 seconds longer.

You're a group of friends, so let everyone play what is fun for them.

You can run with other compositions, but the group @thefabricant suggested is very effective. With low geared groups it can be the difference between failure and success and the time difference in better geared groups is not just 30 seconds.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    1. Tank Faithful dc
    2. Healer AP dc
    3. 3x Dps dc
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    ^^ lol, love it
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    jeebus jazz.. I like the dc class too, but that isnt optimum.. not even close. your missing on alot of synergies and overlapping buffs + 1 buffed out gwf does some stupid crazy things (as does sw puppetts)

The most DCs you could justify is 3.. 2 overlapping buffers.. one can be focused dps. But the rest of is is redundant.

• Options
    jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    DC, GF, any combination of SWs and GWFs as the final 3. As much as I hate to say it, the other classes are irrelevant.
  • Options
    jugger71 said:

DC, GF, any combination of SWs and GWFs as the final 3. As much as I hate to say it, the other classes are irrelevant.

@jugger71 really? well, lets look at it this way:

For the sake of simplicity, I am going to treat any buffer/debuffer class as dealing no damage and only count their contribution towards damage from their buffs and debuffs.

So, lets take GWFs as our unit of measurement for dps and assume all GWFs do the same damage.

Lets start with 1 GWF. Adding a second GWF will increase the parties damage by 100%. Once you have 2 GWFs, adding a third will increase the parties damage by 50%. So, lets allocate units to the value of the GWFs dps, 1 GWF = 1.

3 GWF = a unit of 3.

Now, a buffer/debuffer cleric can say multiply this by 5, giving you a unit of 15.
    A GF can say multiply this by 3, giving you a unit of 45.

Alternatively, lets propose the following:

2 GWF = a unit of 2.

Same thing, buffer/debuffer cleric multiplies by 5, giving a unit of 10.
    A GF multiplies by 3, giving a unit of 30.
    A MoF Ren CW multiplies by 2, giving a value of 60.

Oh, hang on, 60>45, oh dear, there is a reason to take more than DC/GF and GWF/SW!

You can also justify taking a HR instead of 1 of the GWFs for saving time on bosses.
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User

Hi Everyone,

-Octavius

The group that i like the best and flows awesomely everywhere:
    1. GF tatician (far superior to OP after nerf, superior buffs, constant 65% protection if feated like that);
    2. DC righteous (DC can give extreme buffs debuffs);
    3. CW mof renegade (More awesome buffs and even more important, conrol and positioning of targets);
    4. SW temptation (a bit of buffs and to make sure that all the situations requiring healer dont require DC to drop buffs);
    5. A cleaner, GWF destroyer, SW fury.

• Options

Hi Everyone,

-Octavius

1. GF tatician (far superior to OP after nerf, superior buffs, constant 65% protection if feated like that);
    3. CW mof renegade (More awesome buffs and even more important, conrol and positioning of targets);
    4. SW temptation (a bit of buffs and to make sure that all the situations requiring healer dont require DC to drop buffs);
    @treesclimber you should try out a devotion paladin instead of a temptation SW, they provide better healing, better damage mitigation and better buffs to party dps.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Hi Everyone,

-Octavius

@treesclimber you should try out a devotion paladin instead of a temptation SW, they provide better healing, better damage mitigation and better buffs to party dps.
    Hum...i dont know the outcome of that seems to be more or less the same.

SW protection: only 5% on foes within 20', and Wraith, but that's pretty meh to use, hard to target in multi target and has low uptime, needs recast after recast but all the protection should already be granted by GF+DC anyway.
    SW dps: self dps + dark revelry + infernal wrath.

OP protection: Aura of truth + bane + Sof (getting nerfed soon) + 5% stats up after heal;
    OP dps: self dps (lower than SW) + aura of courage + aura of wisdom + bane + 5% stats up after heal.

That aura of wisdom seems really good for GF and DC but SW DPS will be far superior, i dont think it would be a big difference tbh.

• Options

Hi Everyone,

-Octavius

Hum...i dont know the outcome of that seems to be more or less the same.

SW protection: only 5% on foes within 20', and Wraith, but that's pretty meh to use, hard to target in multi target and has low uptime, needs recast after recast but all the protection should already be granted by GF+DC anyway.
    SW dps: self dps + dark revelry + infernal wrath.

OP protection: Aura of truth + bane + Sof (getting nerfed soon) + 5% stats up after heal;
    OP dps: self dps (lower than SW) + aura of courage + aura of wisdom + bane + 5% stats up after heal.

That aura of wisdom seems really good for GF and DC but SW DPS will be far superior, i dont think it would be a big difference tbh.

No offense, but temptation SW dps sucks, a good devo pally can likely match it, if not halve it. As for protection, 30% mitigation + heals that are off the charts and preventative, not occuring only once you take damage.

As for buffs:
    Aura gifts (gives 25% of a paladin's power to the party, paladins tend to have a lot of power.)
    Aura of Courage (roughly 18% party dps boost)
    Aura of Wisdom (boosts party recharge speed)
    Bane (30% dps buff)

a temptation SW is strictly a worse devo OP in terms of what it does.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @thefabricant The healing of a BiS temptation warlock is nonstop healing, supposing a OP devotion tries to dps, using smite and circle of power and use bane for the team as well, it will never cover the range of temptation(cure wounds will take the paladin out of dpsing, light.....well better not even compare ligh with justice in terms of dps and the wait for prism) and never ever cover the dps in situations were TT is favourable even as temptation i can clean a full room of mobs on sight with TT, other advantage, SW would keep healing even if knocked, SS keeps damaging and being spread by TT and aura of cruelty always up as well. Auras are close range so many times alies will not be affected by them and archers never will, the vantage of dark revelry, shame this is only 5 person team in tiamat everybody gets it a a more or less wide area, not so restricted as paladin.

• Options
    edited April 2016

@thefabricant The healing of a BiS temptation warlock is nonstop healing, supposing a OP devotion tries to dps, using smite and circle of power and use bane for the team as well, it will never cover the range of temptation(cure wounds will take the paladin out of dpsing, light.....well better not even compare ligh with justice in terms of dps) and never ever cover the dps in situations were TT is favourable even as temptation i can clean a full room of mobs on sight with TT, other advantage, SW would keep healing even if knocked, SS keeps damaging and being spread by TT and aura of cruelty always up as well. Auras are close range so many times alies will not be affected by them and archers never will, the vantage of dark revelry, shame this is only 5 person team in tiamat everybody gets it a a more or less wide area, not so restricted as paladin.

@treesclimber

Vow of enmity, Bane, Bond of Virtue, Shield of faith, Justice Paladin with prism. None of that cure wounds nonsense favoured by light pallies (eww, light). You will never compete, ever, with your temptation lock, you won't even heal for 50% of what that build can do. I know this for a fact, I used to play temptation lock but stopped in mod 6.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

@thefabricant The healing of a BiS temptation warlock is nonstop healing, supposing a OP devotion tries to dps, using smite and circle of power and use bane for the team as well, it will never cover the range of temptation(cure wounds will take the paladin out of dpsing, light.....well better not even compare ligh with justice in terms of dps) and never ever cover the dps in situations were TT is favourable even as temptation i can clean a full room of mobs on sight with TT, other advantage, SW would keep healing even if knocked, SS keeps damaging and being spread by TT and aura of cruelty always up as well. Auras are close range so many times alies will not be affected by them and archers never will, the vantage of dark revelry, shame this is only 5 person team in tiamat everybody gets it a a more or less wide area, not so restricted as paladin.

@treesclimber

Vow of enmity, Bane, Bond of Virtue, Shield of faith, Justice Paladin with prism. None of that cure wounds nonsense favoured by light pallies (eww, light). You will never compete, ever, with your temptation lock, you won't even heal for 50% of what that build can do. I know this for a fact, I used to play temptation lock but stopped in mod 6.
    Yeah you'll be dpsing a lot with that out of single target....no! You see my point, or heals or dps, me both. My paladin was devotion too, but as i named it originally bulldozer i was ashamed every time i went in a dungeon, "bulldozer the healer"...*facepalm*.

• Options
    jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited April 2016

jugger71 said:

@jugger71 really? well, lets look at it this way:

For the sake of simplicity, I am going to treat any buffer/debuffer class as dealing no damage and only count their contribution towards damage from their buffs and debuffs.

So, lets take GWFs as our unit of measurement for dps and assume all GWFs do the same damage.

Lets start with 1 GWF. Adding a second GWF will increase the parties damage by 100%. Once you have 2 GWFs, adding a third will increase the parties damage by 50%. So, lets allocate units to the value of the GWFs dps, 1 GWF = 1.

3 GWF = a unit of 3.

Now, a buffer/debuffer cleric can say multiply this by 5, giving you a unit of 15.
    A GF can say multiply this by 3, giving you a unit of 45.

Alternatively, lets propose the following:

2 GWF = a unit of 2.

Same thing, buffer/debuffer cleric multiplies by 5, giving a unit of 10.
    A GF multiplies by 3, giving a unit of 30.
    A MoF Ren CW multiplies by 2, giving a value of 60.

Oh, hang on, 60>45, oh dear, there is a reason to take more than DC/GF and GWF/SW!

You can also justify taking a HR instead of 1 of the GWFs for saving time on bosses.
    Wait a sec bro, I said, DC and GF. Those are your buffers. then DPS. Thats overkill right there already is my point.

You appear to be defending the MoF Ren CW. I blame bias a bit :P. My main is a CW btw. Leave the worst buffer at home, take the extra dps and melt everything anyway.

And why are you trying to prove you know more than I. You clearly do. Im still entitled to my opinion and I do believe I havent been banned on these forums which means I can express it.

To OP. Listen to Sharpedge.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    GF tactician-op protection-dc righteous-cw mof renegade- cw thauma can be mof or ss. IN that pt i will not feel that we missing that great damage dealer like gwf. ALSO you can replace that cw dps with any other class which focus to deal damage and you will see the pt will do fast runs.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • Options
    davehedgehog1davehedgehog1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Ok guys, if you had to go in with only four toons, what would you drop a dps class? A second question, which 1600iL dungeon would the group most likely have a chance to complete? These would be low level toons between 1.6iL and 2.2iL.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User

Ok guys, if you had to go in with only four toons, what would you drop a dps class? A second question, which 1600iL dungeon would the group most likely have a chance to complete? These would be low level toons between 1.6iL and 2.2iL.

I would drop 3rd support/2 second dps.

So if u have e.g GF, DC, CW mof rene, HR, GWF, drop cw mof or HR, especially if its not trapper :p

About the low lvl part, if u r fresh, not experienced players there is no chance for complete, if its 1.6k IL party of ppl who play this game for a year now and they challenged and finished every content (lets say fresh, secondary toons) they will most likely finish t1 dung on ease. This game is quite dynamic one and requires for players to be expert in what they r doing. Entrance cap which is 1.6k IL into t1 is there as minimum, not as optimal. Non-experienced 1.6k il player will be only a leech, even if u have experience from other games, its not WoW, u need to actually react here.

And there is a difference in reaction of a headless chicken (which most players in this game still is, judging from crying about DR being too hard for 3k IL) and an expert.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain