test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power Changes Coming to Neverwinter

123457»

Comments

• merileemerilee Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I have read on more than one occasion that Cryptic really wants people to play more. That accounted for some of the changes to Leadership, AD, the economy, the closing and revamping of the group dungeons (Cloak Tower, Pirate King, et al) amongst other things. If you want people to play more, making the game easier is not the way to go about it.

Since it's release, NWO has been watered down and simplified ("streamlined" for leveling it was called) to the point that it is wholly unchallenging, unless you PvP. If you want people to play, make the game challenging again. Return all the interesting parts of the dungeons that were sealed off or removed. We can still see those areas on the map, they just can't be reached. Take the XP out of Invoking, stop giving us Double XP weekends, let those who want to rush to end game pay for it with zen or AD for some level up tokens. If you need/want to streamline, return to once a day invoking - does anyone actually use those blessings?

The Cryptic Team is making the same mistakes that countless developers of the Neverwinter Nights servers did. When you tinker in one area to balance, you create imbalance in another area that needs to be tinkered. When you give out uber-gear you have to beef up the monsters, which prompts you to pump up the gear, which causes you to bolster the monsters....get it?

Finally, it was noted that the Elemental Evil campaign is to be re-tooled to be more story oriented without vigilance tasks. Is this going to be the same "story orientation" we got with Maze Engine, you know that grindy thing with all the dreadfully repetitive daily tasks? Story is a series of intertwined and interrelated events, not "go out and kill a dozen demons" or "rescue ten pirate captives" for ten days, as if the war council needed that time to arrange the next step.

Neverwinter Online was amazing when it opened. This was AD&D animated and voiced, nearly live on demand. Each zone had a story that built on the whole. Return to that, do that again and you'll see people play.
  • melodicahmelodicah Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I'm sorry to say it, but a boatload of nerfs does nothing to make me want to continue playing. Combine that with the other changes (the coal/pres wards, AD nerf, etc) and the fact that the entire game is a boring grind now and you aren't really offering me very much. I play games to have fun and this game just hasn't been fun for a while.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Leveling up a character needs to be faster again, and that without any extra XP booster.
    The overflow XP shouldn't be another RNGesus game!
    A Power Point, some rAD and a few rank 7-9 enchantments should be in the overflow XP pack.
    And the only randomness should be how much rAD, and how many enchantments are in it.

The overall grind needs to be toned down.
    5, 10, 15 and more daily quests to get to the next stage of a campaign, isn't that taking it a bit too far now?
    How about staying around 5 daily filler quests for a campaign, and instead make sure that those are interesting.
    And rather gives us a few more campaign stages to balance it out, then let us do a few campaign stages in one go and then point us to the daily treadmill again...

And those power changes... it is a small step into the right direction to start fixing broken equipment, but the Devs should continue on that way and walk it through to the end, before they start messing around with any classes.

Not to forget that professions still need some solid work done, and the foundry is also in a really bad place and shape...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • viperwitch23viperwitch23 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    I feel that what ever we say here we still get that insane nerf
    With mobs staying as they are and not just challenging and exiting but unkillable in most places
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I really feel for anybody trying to gear up their first 70 after these changes, getting protector seals is going to be horrible, basically it will be a choice of eToS or eToS, rinse repeat.
  • tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User

unintended consequences... edemo and many of the bosses will not be killable. with the removal of nearly 1/2 of party damage it's going to be impossible for anything less than a 3k+ full group to take down demo in time.
    They are also talking about changing the pally bubble... say goodbye to castle never. i've run it several times with a great group. (two +3k gwfs, 1 4k gf, 1 3k gf, and a healer and we couldn't beat the final boss. the only way i've seen or heard of it being done is with a bubble pally.
    cryptic, you've buffed the baddies, a nerf isn't the way to go. take your time and buff.

I hope you are a troll
    anyways here are my thoughts about it:

Castle Never can easily be done with just 1 GF even without a healer. I finished CN with 2.6k IL GFs but you know what? They know how to play. Same goes for eDEMO. At the Moment you just need 1 (SW or GWF) good dmg dealer a GF and a DC (all 3k+ ofc) and the others can stand afc at the starting Point. If all Players have 2.5 IL but know what to do and build their character right it is easy to finish edemo at GOLD. The Problem in this Game is that most Players just Copy builds and dont even read what they gain from the feats and boons and skills they use. Thats why most CWs cry about their dmg while the good ones can carry a hole group through any dungeon. Thats also why the SWs cry about their class beeing to weak while me and other good SWs (without bugged set) are 1place in Paingiver even against 4k gwfs. And thats why most GWFs cry about LOL set nerf while others will without the set still solo T1 dungeons and kill bosses in Seconds

To all the of the whiners: learn your class and learn to play.
  • taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    SW need sparks to do good dps on bosses. Lostmauth's set was great for building sparks and after nerf we won't get those sparks fast. Also hadars grasp seem to be broken on preview, it gives only 1 spark even when it multi crits. I really hope they are gonna fix HG, or things are gonna be really bad for sw.
  • missdayummissdayum Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I just wanna know one thing, do we get more power or less? Can't seem to find that answer in the spamming nonsense of the first page and don't want to read through the continous hype the next six pages. So what will it be?

Never mind, found all I wanna know here:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1214505/upcoming-powers-balance-changes
    Best guild: Guardians of the Fallen (2019-2021)
    My past guilds: Guardians of Midgard/HazardousNation/SomewhatSerious/JesusHadSoulforged/ImperialLegion/LadiesofNeverwinter/OutKast
    My past alliances: LookGoodPlayGood/Eviscerate/JesusHadSoulforged/Ruthless/TheLegendaryOutlaws

GWF - 4,069 Gear Score (classic)
    Barbarian - 48,499 Total Item Level
    RIP Bonding Runestones since "combat/companion changes" update on February 5, 2021

Master of Svardborg (banner) trophy, unlocked January 4, 2020! (Playstation4) / Master of Svardborg (banner) achievement, unlocked August 9, 2017! (XboxOne) / Dragon's Bane (Defeat 1000 Dragons) trophy, unlocked February 5, 2020! (Playstation4) / Dragon's Bane (Defeat 1000 Dragons) achievement, unlocked June 9, 2015! (XboxOne) / Portal Dodger achievement, unlocked July 16, 2017! (XboxOne)
  • ja5t3fja5t3f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
    Well... the strange part is is that if the nerf has indeed been implemented, my CW just had the easiest time of PtP ever. And power appears to be up 2-3 thousand.
  • mcfobmcfob Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Agreed, a bunch of nerfs don't make me too enthusiastic to keep playing. I am wondering why there has been no talk of tweaking the other arti sets to make them comparable to lostmauth, it is kind of lame to have EVERYONE with the same arti set.

Instead of nerfing the op bubble into nothing, maybe cutting it down to 12 seconds might be the way to go, or even better, leave the time the same and make 50 percent immune so the op can do some other things besides sit there and fire bubble, wrath, oath, bubble, wrath, oath, bubble, wrath, oath, bubble, wrath, oath.....

The way to address players being 'too powerful' is to add more and more uber end game content, imo. Keeps your customers from getting bored and quitting.
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User

... Are we going to have to redo EE on ALL our toons now for some campaign?

I'll answer this to allay any concerns. Our goal with the EE campaign from the very start was to have it reward players who have made progress in the existing zones, i.e. if you've already completed Spinward Rise, then you'll have completed all the Spinward Rise tasks in the campaign.

We'll have more details to come about how this works.
    @commanderander @strumslinger Are these details included in the patch notes for tomorrow's 7 hour patch? Trying to "check the forums" for details, see none. Is the April 7 patch implementing all these changes?
  • sm0ld3rsm0ld3r Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    I picture the sole remaining PWE developer as looking like Smeagol and covering his ears. Pretty much par for the course with these guys.
  • viperwitch23viperwitch23 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    tom#6998 said:

unintended consequences... edemo and many of the bosses will not be killable. with the removal of nearly 1/2 of party damage it's going to be impossible for anything less than a 3k+ full group to take down demo in time.
    They are also talking about changing the pally bubble... say goodbye to castle never. i've run it several times with a great group. (two +3k gwfs, 1 4k gf, 1 3k gf, and a healer and we couldn't beat the final boss. the only way i've seen or heard of it being done is with a bubble pally.
    cryptic, you've buffed the baddies, a nerf isn't the way to go. take your time and buff.

I hope you are a troll
    anyways here are my thoughts about it:

Castle Never can easily be done with just 1 GF even without a healer. I finished CN with 2.6k IL GFs but you know what? They know how to play. Same goes for eDEMO. At the Moment you just need 1 (SW or GWF) good dmg dealer a GF and a DC (all 3k+ ofc) and the others can stand afc at the starting Point. If all Players have 2.5 IL but know what to do and build their character right it is easy to finish edemo at GOLD. The Problem in this Game is that most Players just Copy builds and dont even read what they gain from the feats and boons and skills they use. Thats why most CWs cry about their dmg while the good ones can carry a hole group through any dungeon. Thats also why the SWs cry about their class beeing to weak while me and other good SWs (without bugged set) are 1place in Paingiver even against 4k gwfs. And thats why most GWFs cry about LOL set nerf while others will without the set still solo T1 dungeons and kill bosses in Seconds

To all the of the whiners: learn your class and learn to play.
    dc doesn't have to be 3000+
    I did EDEMO on 2500 dc and she was doing great
  • tesfanboytesfanboy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I hope it's Paladins who get nerfed. Their immunity builds are really annoying.
  • glitchesprotegeglitchesprotege Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    I can not say I am excited for the LM set to be nerfed, it is sooo awesome. Yet I feel the PvE side of the game needs it. I find myself not challenged enough with content. The pally nerf, the GF buff sounds perfect! finally an entire party can actually be challenged and play the game how it is supposed to instead of cowering behind a perma-bubble. Thanks @strumslinger and @commanderander I'm looking forward to not being confined to PvP for my challenging fun!!
  • blackurn1blackurn1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    I get that Paladins needed a little nerf, especially for PvP, but take another look at what you're doing. Taking the max length of the bubble from 20 to 6 seconds and the damage reduction from 80 to 50%... that's reducing the power's overall effectiveness by over 80%. At that point, just take the power away, because it's a waste. Six seconds goes by in the blink of an eye, so nobody can depend on it to really make a difference in a tough battle, and (for Pally's who still want to use the bubble) it would just mean Pally's are always holding their daily waiting for the exact right moment to use it.

As for the AP DC, every time someone creates a cool build that does something different and wonderful, you kill it. You're not reducing the effectiveness of that build, you're shooting it in the head. It will be a little more effective than the event food item that gives you 1% AP every 3 secs - woot. According to your description, the build can presently generate up to 12% AP in a measurable bite of time, where you're going to make it 1% - so you're reducing the effectiveness by over 90%!!! Again, that's not a reduction, that's a kill shot.

Why do resort to knee-jerk OVER-reactions?

You COULD have tried reasonable reductions in power.

Regarding the OP, for instance. You could have reduced the time of the OP bubble by 50% instead of 70%, OR reduce the damage reduction to 40% instead of 80% - either of those would have cut the impact of the ability in half without utterly gutting it. Either of those options would have had an impact without tossing the ability on the trash heap (with so many other abilities...).

For the DC build, cut it in half, not by over 90%. The nerf would still reduce what you consider worrisome about the build without having virtually every AP DC respect to something else.

You, the devs, are driving a big vehicle full of players, but you're swerving so hard that you don't seem to have any control. You say that you are going to listen to your players, that you've changed management and that this team cares - well, prove that by not casting the AP DC and Bubble Pally on the scrap heap. A little nerf goes a long way.
  • elsahellbringerelsahellbringer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    People that think that this changes are meant to improve our gaming experience are naive. Every time they make a new class is over powered, and players feel compelled to get some new slots and make a new character, and they work on the build and they invest a lot of time in leveling and then they invest money on refining stuff and maxing up the build, and then the devs are nerfing the build and since the character grew into you, you try to find another good build, and you have to retrain, and change the powers, and sets, and you invest now money on maxing up the new build and that's how everything they do, they just do it to make you spend more on this game.

Look at the trade bar thing. They made the vip thing and changed the price for wards at the trade bar merchant so we'd buy vip and after enough people bought vip, they removed the only things of worth from the trade bar merchant and they are selling it at ridiculous prices in the zen market. Imo, they became overly greedy and desperate for money. That's why they even make so many poorly done expansions and events, to attract nre players and make them invest more money. But the result is the opposite, because we're not all dumb people, easy to be fooled by some kids. When I started to play this game, the PE was full of players and the queue was taking so little time. Now, it's obvious that a lot of people lost the interest in this game, because you have to wait forever to be able to get in a group, and some dungeons are completely dead.

Also, I don't understand why people are so happy for the nerfs. I have almost one character of each class and I enjoy playing the pal and I don't feel like at medium item level is over powered at all. I mean, they make new content so poorly that is almost impossible to beat the final bosses in dungeons. I don't find not being able to finish a dungeon challenging, but frustrating. I tried Castle Never in parties where everyone was over 3k, with dc, tank and 3 dps, and we were unable to finish it. I believe that since the minimum required level is 2k, when a party of people around 2k would play it, they should be able to finish it, but instead, such a party would not stand a chance. When they streamed Castle Never played by the devs and some other players, they were unable to even kill the first boss and yet, they didn't make a change to make orcus more possible to kill.

So, imo, this game is not even a game anymore, but more, a perma beta testing, except from the fact that betas are free and this one is not and is pretty expansive indeed. I do like it, but I don't like to be taken for a fool, so I'm done buying anything and I think that you should also consider investing money in this game. Maybe that would motivate them to have more respect for the community and do a better job.
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    @elsahellbringer either you are exeggarating that you couldnt do CN with 3k party or your group was made up from the worst players in this game.I am 3.2k GF and I did it with 3 2-2.5k dpers and 2.6k DC.We had a 3k dps before reaching Orcus.He refused to listen DC at Orcus fight and got wiped 2 times .He ragequitted and got replaced with 2.2k TR.I dont think I have done better Orcus with complete strangers.You need to know your and other class mechanics pretty good if you want to run CN with strangers and undergeared people.

Also CN supposed to be a little bit harder than others since it is endgame dungeon.I wish it was harder.It might push me to get my GF over 3.5k+.I dont need it with current difficulty so I put my GF aside and started on 2nd toon.It is 2.8k and I can easily breeze t1s and t2s.I am sure I can breeze Orcus when I hit 3k on my GWF(2nd toon) too.
  • elsahellbringerelsahellbringer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    dsn1118 said:

@elsahellbringer either you are exeggarating that you couldnt do CN with 3k party or your group was made up from the worst players in this game.I am 3.2k GF and I did it with 3 2-2.5k dpers and 2.6k DC.We had a 3k dps before reaching Orcus.He refused to listen DC at Orcus fight and got wiped 2 times .He ragequitted and got replaced with 2.2k TR.I dont think I have done better Orcus with complete strangers.You need to know your and other class mechanics pretty good if you want to run CN with strangers and undergeared people.

Also CN supposed to be a little bit harder than others since it is endgame dungeon.I wish it was harder.It might push me to get my GF over 3.5k+.I dont need it with current difficulty so I put my GF aside and started on 2nd toon.It is 2.8k and I can easily breeze t1s and t2s.I am sure I can breeze Orcus when I hit 3k on my GWF(2nd toon) too.

No, it wasn't very hard. It was actually easy until Orcus. We didn't die at all until then, hence the unbalance in dungeons. They are linear, easy and "doable" till last boss, where you can't finish it and you feel like you wasted a lot of time in vain. I was playing with my paladin, so maybe I took damage from my teammates, but the fact that I was suddenly dying without even sitting on a red area was kind of odd. Also, idk if you watched the stream of CN on twitch, but the devs were not able to do it, so, I think that that should have made them consider making some changes. Not to mention the background. A part of it is all black, like they were too lazy to finish the environment design.

I also find poorly done all the last expansions. Underdark is frustrating, by having you stoned most of the time and unable to use your powers. It's not captivating. And the fact that you have to get a different set of armor for things to be easier in that area. I mean, c'mon...how many sets or equipment should one have. They also said they'll make the game less repetitive, and then what did they do? Making you have to get 100 of those stupid things for the artifact weapon, aka, doing the same HE 100 times? How is that not repetitive and how can that be enjoyable or captivating at all?
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I SEe comments like pay to win pvpers. I will tell you a fact : THE last year i took serious pve too. YOU know what happened ?PVE made me pay to win! 5 companions or more to be purple to have bondings the companion to have its gear! MOUNT insignias: many mounts to cover both areas even more for pve for further stacking! YOU realise if something changes also my bound character companions must change when i pve?:)
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

dsn1118 said:

No, it wasn't very hard. It was actually easy until Orcus. We didn't die at all until then, hence the unbalance in dungeons. They are linear, easy and "doable" till last boss, where you can't finish it and you feel like you wasted a lot of time in vain. I was playing with my paladin, so maybe I took damage from my teammates, but the fact that I was suddenly dying without even sitting on a red area was kind of odd. Also, idk if you watched the stream of CN on twitch, but the devs were not able to do it, so, I think that that should have made them consider making some changes. Not to mention the background. A part of it is all black, like they were too lazy to finish the environment design.

I also find poorly done all the last expansions. Underdark is frustrating, by having you stoned most of the time and unable to use your powers. It's not captivating. And the fact that you have to get a different set of armor for things to be easier in that area. I mean, c'mon...how many sets or equipment should one have. They also said they'll make the game less repetitive, and then what did they do? Making you have to get 100 of those stupid things for the artifact weapon, aka, doing the same HE 100 times? How is that not repetitive and how can that be enjoyable or captivating at all?
    Those streams has 0 accuracy cant take them as example. I have seen many dev streams they rarely pay attention i even saw them die in valindra tower once.............
  • rondy44rondy44 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    In my opinion the Daily of OP Divine Protector could be on this way. I think it's the best change to balance the pve and pvp content.

a) Reduction 50% of damage and Duration 10 secs
    b) Can choose one or two allies only to protect and this targets marked redirect 80% of the damage to yourself
  • johnjohniiijohnjohniii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 108 Arc User
    dsn1118 said:

I agree w/ @elsahellbringer on this. We had the same experience with CN and our group runs anything in the game with little to no difficulty. The best we did on the boss with our GF was 1/3. One mistimed attack and he's one shotted. the other boss fights are great. one shots are not fun.
  • fuxion#7775 fuxion Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Andy and Friends

broken shadowclad enchant and this stealth fashion is breaking pvp ..

PVP isn't about running around invisible capping nodes and stabbing people in the back is it ?

Its face to face player vs player combat ..or supposed to be

if everyone had some stealth ring or invisible enchant what will be the point .. it will just become more and more utterly frustrating.

im not sure if this was well thought through

Please do something before its to late.

PVP in neverwinter can be really amazing if just a few changes can be made and it will generate more income than the rest of the game guaranteed.

Hope some sense will prevail sooner rather than later .. or is it already too late ?

Kind Regards
    Post edited by zebular on
  • goodyearbaddaygoodyearbadday Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    djsuperfunx said:

"Andy and Friends

broken shadowclad enchant and this stealth fashion is breaking pvp ..

PVP isn't about running around invisible capping nodes and stabbing people in the back is it ?"

no, PvP is about running back & forth between the spawn point, & the 1-shot ring of death. Maybe if the gearz-monsters would let lower IL players cap for points, the invisible enchants & fashion items would not be necessary. But they are. Maybe if the devs hadn't added a quota requiring a certain number of points to get ANY rewards from a PvP match, they wouldn't be necessary. But they are. When a team can have 2 players hold cap-ponts all by themselves, & the remaining 3 can defend against an entire party... it's time to start talking about introducing tier system to PvP. Until then.. invisibility SHOULDN'T be necessary... but it is.
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    dsn1118 said:

Because it's so much fun getting one shotted with no warning by two of Orcus's green spheres of death appearing overlapping on you with no warning whatsoever, I really should play better. The determination changes might have taken away any chance I had, not sure how much overkill it was, but in combination with the pally changes they certainly did. (3.5K GWF with a lot of HP)

The main problem with the changes is that the old ways covered up some of the deficiencies in the game. I did the blue stronghold dragon yesterday, got one shotted 12 times by the small red circles. Why ? well the circles only appeared after I was dead from the damage they did, survivable with a pally bubble. (and I have a decent ping for somebody in the UK and a good graphics card so the lag problem is not at my computer)

• revan06100revan06100 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User

dsn1118 said:

I agree w/ @elsahellbringer on this. We had the same experience with CN and our group runs anything in the game with little to no difficulty. The best we did on the boss with our GF was 1/3. One mistimed attack and he's one shotted. the other boss fights are great. one shots are not fun.
    Do you have +8000 defense due to your guild by any chance ? cause there is only one way to tank with a gf under 3k, otherwise you just loose aggro or you just can't hold the hits...
    I did it with a 3k GF with 18k defense, and we still got wiped...
  • getsume#1425 getsume Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I can understand castle never being hard but it shouldn't have a 2k item level requirement. I mean let's be honest if everyone in the group was 2k it couldn't be done.
    The only reason I can think of that it should stay 2k requirement is so you could get carried through it by people who aren't but if that's the case they should just make it so if your doing a private queue group, item level requirement doesn't matter. That way the item level requirement would be able to be higher and there wouldn't be much of a problem
    Have I ever told you I'm a genius?