test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for solution after nerf

sethan93sethan93 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
Hi guys,

We all know that we're gonna take a big nerf in the face.
And that it will be hard, after that, to be useful to our guildies/friends.
Whining won't bring us anything good, so I was wondering if any of you had any solution to get around that big shot we're gonna take.
I know that some of you can deal with it without any problem. BiS and good skills might allow them to not really be disturbed that much by this nerf.
But, and I think I am not alone in this case, I am not BiS, far from it. I can carry my group in every dungeons without any AP buff but obviously after what's coming, I won't be able to do anything good for my party... if I play the same way as I do now.

So I was wondering what could be a solution for us. Are we supposed to be buffers with auras and passives ? or just off-tanks ?
Do we need to rethink our mechanic of gameplay ?
What kind of encounters shall we maybe start to use ?

I hope some of you guys could give me (us ?) some advices on how to deal with that nerf, cos honestly, I put so much effort and time on my pally that I won't accept the fact to become useless to my guildies and party...

Cheers.

Comments

• instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    I took my Prot OP (2.3k ilvl) through eToS with a Virt DC, a "buffer" GF, SW and a TR (average party ilvl 2.4k). I never used Divine Protector. Not once.

The nerf is not that big a deal.

Just keep drawing aggro, keep your temp HP full, use your OP arti... Look hard at your auras.. decide which encounters best serve thee party.. you'll be fine.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • oggycz#5356 oggycz Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    As I wrore elsewhere In this forum:

Yesterday I did test "bubbleless" run eToS. I asked party if it is not problem. All agreed, they were happy (not kidding) to get chance to learn avoid red zones :). I had aura of prot, aura of wisdom, binding, templar wrath and circle of power (very nice, I got 30% more temp HP). With all of it I had 80% DR without sanctuary. To my surprise, it was one of my easiest runs. I did not avoid red zones and had no problem. I have justice pally with only 2300 gear. In the other hand, my DPS was very low (as allways), but I had no problem to survive. Before starting the fight I did binding oath, run to enemies, did templar and circle. I did sanctuary before first binding blast, but when i got full temp hp (about 330000), I simply let binding oath blows to my face without problem.

Svatá Prdelka
    game - Human/real life - ???
    OP 18k+ Devotion/Justice - Light
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited April 2016

As I wrore elsewhere In this forum:

Yesterday I did test "bubbleless" run eToS. I asked party if it is not problem. All agreed, they were happy (not kidding) to get chance to learn avoid red zones :). I had aura of prot, aura of wisdom, binding, templar wrath and circle of power (very nice, I got 30% more temp HP). With all of it I had 80% DR without sanctuary. To my surprise, it was one of my easiest runs. I did not avoid red zones and had no problem. I have justice pally with only 2300 gear. In the other hand, my DPS was very low (as allways), but I had no problem to survive. Before starting the fight I did binding oath, run to enemies, did templar and circle. I did sanctuary before first binding blast, but when i got full temp hp (about 330000), I simply let binding oath blows to my face without problem.

Yep exactly that is one way of looking at it, now lets pretend there are other classes in this game.

Do you have any clue what a dc/gf can will bring to the party that a dc/op don't.

Its like hey they changed my car to a bicycle but that is np I can still get to place b from place I am in no hurry and am sure most people with enjoy the fresh air and the slow ride looking at the scenery better.

In fact am sure when new people comes to the game they will find the bicycle as much to their liking as the car and am sure when people looking for company in the lfg channel they will appreciate the bicycle ride as much as using a car.

Lets vote for more bicycles in the game I am sure the other classes will find switching to bicycles to their liking....

And hey don´t forget its a real nice bicycle and very fast for a bicycle....
  • sethan93sethan93 Member Posts: 30 Arc User

a "buffer" GF

Well, you were not the only tank then...

I had no problem to survive.

Well, I am not afraid of being squishy, but that is not what I really asked :)
    Surviving won't be a problem, I know that.
    The problem will be to be useful to the party.

Any of you did try Orcus with a no-bubble protect pally ? was it so easy ?
    I guess not really :)
    So I do think we need a solution other than just "keep going as usual, it will be fine".

• aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Instead of running Radiance and Wisdom, I'll be considering Truth and Protection. Or a combination thereof. Depending on group make up of course.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User

a "buffer" GF

No, but I was the only tank who could actually take a hit. The GF was as fragile as a GWF... with less DPS.

header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
    edited April 2016
    sethan93 said:

a "buffer" GF

I had no problem to survive.

Well, I am not afraid of being squishy, but that is not what I really asked :)
    Surviving won't be a problem, I know that.
    The problem will be to be useful to the party.

Any of you did try Orcus with a no-bubble protect pally ? was it so easy ?
    I guess not really :)
    So I do think we need a solution other than just "keep going as usual, it will be fine".

If tank dies, others will die too. So tank survival is critical. I do not say, I agree with upcoming changes (dont know, why paladin skills become problem now and not from the start). I just try find a way what to do after it.

It is obvious, game will be harder. How much, it is the question.
    Svatá Prdelka
  • nosimonosimo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 48 Arc User
    What we can still bring to a party: aura of courage, aura of wisdom, Bane, and either aura gifts or prism spam healing. Pallys aren't worthless and with all the speed kill videos being posted I would expect the bat to hit gf's itf at some point so don't panic!
  • sethan93sethan93 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I understand, but what the point in surviving and letting the other die ? :)
    Hopefully, some of us will find solution to our little problem.
    I'll keep thinking about this, of course...
  • haypiihalflingghaypiihalflingg Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    We have many skills at our disposal, and to be honest, we all knew this was coming, we have already had several "nerfs" and have overcome, and we will continue to overcome if we love the class, and see ourselves as more than a bubble machine.
    I would say your best bet is to hop on the test server and mess around a bit with skills, stats etc. Any feedback you provide will be helpful to the commuinty at large.
    There are many ways to play this class, I enjoy my Bulwark Protector for what she is, give the baddies the finger keep it coming tank, never was a bubble build still uber useful. (thank you to Obsidiancran and Shewolf)
    My justice protector with a few switches of skills in rotation is very versatile, and I find eventhough I am able to perma on her without AP cleric, this has never been my only function. We have other good dailies, at wills, encounters and features besides the blue bubble of lemme just park this here, lol. that help the party at large. (thank you Kolatmaster, Neoprene, Sharpedge)
    My Devotion paladin, also, is very useful. and the heals are most welcome. again, we have lots of good things to bring to any party :D (thank you Sharpedge Jaegernil and my brainstorm buddy Mike)
    With all the choices in companions, new mount system, Guild Boons and overloads, new campaign boons, gear, we will be able to fine tune an already amazing class that has alot to offer any party or solo play. I LOVE this class, and dont plan to stop playing and evolving into a bigger butterfly :3 We are lucky to have such an active freindly and helpful commuinty, I appreciate so very much.
    In the spirit of mighty rightious Paladins across the lands, hold up a cup of cheer, dust yourselves off, and keep on the path of fun and adventure, its just a bump in the road, we have had them before, and will have them again. Most of all HAVE FUN!! that is what it's all about, take time to enjoy all the things the game has to offer. Cheers!!
  • michaelrn1982michaelrn1982 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I have been testing a Devotion tank/healer build and it seems to hold steady without the use of SoF.The use of sanctuary with even 50% DR hits your max DR (80%). That should be taking even an Orcus hit from his 700,000 to 140,000. I believe the use of the base game mechanics vs class mechanics may have been lost. I'll be more than willing to share the build that I've been working on (it is not quite perfected yet) with those who are interested.
    Gathornia The Divine

Check out the Shadowknight Build for OP Protection here

[Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (446273) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (514415) Physical Damage to you with Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (521299) Physical Damage to you with Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (555505) Physical Damage to you with Wand Sweep.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus deals 64883 (648828) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.

sethan93 said:

I understand, but what the point in surviving and letting the other die ? :)
    Hopefully, some of us will find solution to our little problem.
    I'll keep thinking about this, of course...

Why die? They avoided red zones and they survived. I took most of the damage from mobs, so they did not have to.
    Svatá Prdelka
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User

We have many skills at our disposal, and to be honest, we all knew this was coming, we have already had several "nerfs" and have overcome, and we will continue to overcome if we love the class, and see ourselves as more than a bubble machine.
    I would say your best bet is to hop on the test server and mess around a bit with skills, stats etc. Any feedback you provide will be helpful to the commuinty at large.
    There are many ways to play this class, I enjoy my Bulwark Protector for what she is, give the baddies the finger keep it coming tank, never was a bubble build still uber useful. (thank you to Obsidiancran and Shewolf)
    My justice protector with a few switches of skills in rotation is very versatile, and I find eventhough I am able to perma on her without AP cleric, this has never been my only function. We have other good dailies, at wills, encounters and features besides the blue bubble of lemme just park this here, lol. that help the party at large. (thank you Kolatmaster, Neoprene, Sharpedge)
    My Devotion paladin, also, is very useful. and the heals are most welcome. again, we have lots of good things to bring to any party :D (thank you Sharpedge Jaegernil and my brainstorm buddy Mike)
    With all the choices in companions, new mount system, Guild Boons and overloads, new campaign boons, gear, we will be able to fine tune an already amazing class that has alot to offer any party or solo play. I LOVE this class, and dont plan to stop playing and evolving into a bigger butterfly :3 We are lucky to have such an active freindly and helpful commuinty, I appreciate so very much.
    In the spirit of mighty rightious Paladins across the lands, hold up a cup of cheer, dust yourselves off, and keep on the path of fun and adventure, its just a bump in the road, we have had them before, and will have them again. Most of all HAVE FUN!! that is what it's all about, take time to enjoy all the things the game has to offer. Cheers!!

I think the Hr class want to Hire you as their cheerleader ..........
  • haypiihalflingghaypiihalflingg Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    marnival said:

I think the Hr class want to Hire you as their cheerleader ..........
    HUE ^^

I also play HR, and have fun with it, as well as other classes, several which have suffered at the hands of the dread nerf hammer, yet I keep on playing. Each class has a part in the adventure, and each add a nice flavor to the exprience. Its boring to only build cookie cutter BOTM, and run stale premades, aka I cant really play my class so I build a robot....YAWN. and as many are finding out the fads change >>>ALOT. This goes with the territory, play a game, make the most of it, have fun, or why bother, seriously....if you are unhappy. find a new passtime. I challenge you to find ANY mmorpg that has "balance" especially with all the variables that make a game like this supurb, Look at Michalrn1982, proactive, going out and finding ways to work thru this, as will most of my other diehard gamer friends and fellow theorycrafters, who by the way are happy to help anyone, even cry babies if you are reasonable about how you ask :P
    Change is good , it keeps you thinking and growing as a player, we do have more than two builds and two button combos to use here people :D:D There is always console, then you have "set standards" and BOREDOM...how bout NO. pull up your big boy pants and play the freaking game, its awesome.

And sidenote, as Andy Strumslinger has stated above, its not set in stone....or somehow he was missed, I think they do a great job, the best they can, Im sure of it, and I support them in the decisions they make, as I trust they DO in fact haver our happiness at heart, to them I say THANK YOU also for putting up with all of us. It's also cool that Strumslinger plays Paladin :D
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    the difference between paladin on aggro managament and paladin is the aggregrative strike. gf can keep aggro and blocking at the same time is something paladin cant do it . paladin need to hit and his open to attacks. BUT he can solve that problem vs single target boss with vow on enmity but vs orcus he will need and the binding oath and the bane so he will let outside the temporary hp?;p

CRYPTIC FIX BINDING OATH so it will be an aggro tool vs those hard bosses like orcus it states it forces the target to attack for 2 seconds which is not working.

OATH strike it works on third strike ( for some say it doesnt working) . the best combo i can think vs ORCUS no other boss is hard is : bane-binding oath-templar wrath.

1st step divine protector: will give you 6 seconds to setup your whole rotation.
    2nd step : bane x3 =he does 30% lesser damage and your pt deal 30% more damage against him.
    3rd step: binding oath absorption damage be carefull block even with it so you will get lesser damage when is about to return 50% .
    4th: templar wrath ofcourse for temporary hp very important to tank here.
    5th aura of courage-wisdom : why not ? wisdom will help you to recharge faster your encounters. and if you keep justice tree your tab will contribute to the reset. TAB IS FOR RESET encounter when need and taunt if you lose aggro.

justice tree with the aura gift from light tree is equal to gf buff performance in a different way.
    1. aura gifts paladin shares 25% of his power to his teamates. bane is 30% debuff aura of courage is a buff too. purifying fire is a debuff too. while gf give ap gain paladin give recharge speed in my book aura of wisdom is better when casting faster encounter is more damage and contributes to regenerate also faster the daily. he can get rid and from the aura of courage i have seen many times in live aura of wisdom is fine + bane+ purifying fire-aura gifts.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

I took my Prot OP (2.3k ilvl) through eToS with a Virt DC, a "buffer" GF, SW and a TR (average party ilvl 2.4k). I never used Divine Protector. Not once.

The nerf is not that big a deal.

Just keep drawing aggro, keep your temp HP full, use your OP arti... Look hard at your auras.. decide which encounters best serve thee party.. you'll be fine.

You just said you were with a GF. Well of course it'd go smoothly.

Remove KV out of the equation. That's when you start to have issues.

• kievitzkievitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 260 Arc User
    how will this affect leveling of these classes?
  • wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    paladins will level up slow but fine, afair i always used dps daily and encounters
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • samthestrange#4654 samthestrange Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @michaelrn1982 said:
    > I have been testing a Devotion tank/healer build and it seems to hold steady without the use of SoF.The use of sanctuary with even 50% DR hits your max DR (80%). That should be taking even an Orcus hit from his 700,000 to 140,000. I believe the use of the base game mechanics vs class mechanics may have been lost. I'll be more than willing to share the build that I've been working on (it is not quite perfected yet) with those who are interested.

I would be interested in seeing your build please. Thanks
  • brimbelle88brimbelle88 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    And what about Cryptic repay me for the time lost in gearing up my pal?? Time and money wasted as usually but no offer to reimburse the investments... I want my money back....
  • rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User

> @michaelrn1982 said:

> I have been testing a Devotion tank/healer build and it seems to hold steady without the use of SoF.The use of sanctuary with even 50% DR hits your max DR (80%). That should be taking even an Orcus hit from his 700,000 to 140,000. I believe the use of the base game mechanics vs class mechanics may have been lost. I'll be more than willing to share the build that I've been working on (it is not quite perfected yet) with those who are interested.

I would be interested in seeing your build please. Thanks

My Devotion OP probably isn't built as tanky, but with some support from a DC I managed to stay alive against Orcus for quite a while the one time we tried it with that support composition. Group just didn't have the DPS to kill him fast enough before we'd finally slip up and I'd die. So I'd be interested in a better build that could pull it off more easily!
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
    Here is the build that I am currently using on my Devo Hybrid.

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/op?b=2xhb:xojul8:dfpp:6j51y,1wn005i:1uu552j:1000000:1zu0000&h=1&p=ood

I mainly focus on hitting something to close to 50% DR. Anything past that is a waste as Sanctuary is going to boost that to 80% while you are getting beat on. Stack HP as needed via boons, enchantments and etc.

Power and Armor Pen obviously help, as does Crit. It really depends on your style if you intend on doing the damage to heal, or having the group deal the damage. I personally go for Crit, Power and Recovery as those will affect healing greater than armor pen will.

My basic rotation is Bond of Virtue (always on) and use Smite(has small aoe heal per hit) and Vow Of Enmity. On bosses, like Orcus, I replace Smite for Bane. This will reduce his damage by 30% from the beginning and depending if you rank 4 it, can last a bit longer while you constantly reapply it.

In terms of class features, this does vary upon the group makeup. Most of the time I use Aura of Wisdom (r4) and Aura of Truth if I'm tanking, and Aura of Courage if I'm more in the healing role.

Dailies are pretty straight forward. Even with the nerf, Shield of Faith is still a good go-to as it does increase group DR for a brief moment, but also healing. I typically can time the use of the Daily with the reset of Prism. As a secondly, I tend to slot Heroism as a good backup. This could easily be swapped for the primary daily for tanking.

Note: Only took rank 3 of Prism to work closely with my AP gain and able to use Dailies. This build does yield a high gain of AP due to the nature of BoV/VoE combination. Doing runs like eDemo obviously will return a full AP faster than a 5 man in eToS.

Boons are at your discretion. If you want a more tanky type, then take ones that will apply for tanks. If you want more of a healer build, then take ones that would apply. This again is based upon your stats, gear and etc. I personally go with the healing types (more power, ap gain, etc) so I can again keep my AP gain and Heals higher.

This build is by no means perfected as of yet, but this I do feel is a good start on reconstructing the more obscure builds for OP's. This may not work for everyone, but I hope this gives some insight to what OP's still have to offer as meat shields and clanks (cleric tanks) alike.
    Gathornia The Divine

[Combat (Self)] Orcus deals 64883 (648828) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.

I fail to see how you hold threat over high dps toons with that build.
    As I did state, this build is not perfect. While tanking, i do switch out the loyal gear from commander to defender. Naturally, healing does draw in aggro as well. It really comes down to preference if you are looking at an all out tank, or hybrid. There are other encounters that can be slotted in for aggro as well.
    Gathornia The Divine

• aidek0aidek0 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    I have a 4k tankadin, justice tree. Honestly, I am not sure where I am at right now with the changes to the pally. I can be considered dps, heal and a tank and with my current setup I dont even have to change a lot to be whatever. But as a tankadin I am supposed to be good at tanking and mediocre at the rest. I can heal enough for any group, I can out dps most 3k classes (exluded most gwf's at that ilvl +), but when it comes to tanking I feel mediocre.

I can stay alive, which is not the problem, but in longer fights I see people get hit and die, leaving me to solo in the end in some cases. I can put up DP about every 8/9 seconds which is pretty good, but in the couple seconds in between, my party receives full dmg, compared to SOF. I am wondering if this is bad/still easy mode play from my party members or if I should just skip using DP, since it gives my allies a false feeling of safety.
    I do get a good amount of aggro and as long as no one uses a mark, I'll keep the aggro. But every now and then when people do use it, the marked one turns around and hits them right in the face. It is my job to keep them safe, to keep aggro, but I cant. It is my job to make sure the dmg they receive is less, but DP is not making it more safe, its a lie. SOF is probably the next best thing which I should use more and see how that goes.
    But in the end, I feel more of a solo player at this point.
  • wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    I sticked to DP and use it when someone marks and or known aoe is about to hit.
    Holding mobs has become the issue for me. But testing last few nightsbi can say i am happy with my new pet for arm.pen, aura of radiance and good use of TAB not just spamming it for AP like before but conserve stacks for when something turns away from me.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
    You can't help stupid players from being stupid, sometimes melee dps needs to step out to stay alive they generally don't and just keep swinging away. It's partially the devs fault for allowing god mode for so long but it's mostly the players fault for worrying more about their personal dps than a smooth run. Just remind them their dps drops to 0 at the campfire.
  • omgitszephomgitszeph Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Paladin remains a very versatile and great class to play. Our oaths,skills, feats, boons, gear, artifacts, enchants, pets, pet gear, mounts, mount sigs, choices of wepons, stronghold Boons,seriously, you can build a paladin to do exactly what you want or need to have a really good experience on any of the paths you choose.
    Red zone surfers, who relied on Bubble/haste combos, and those who knowing how broken they were who built fad of the mod up anyway.. cant be suprised when corrections are made to the "easy mode" park and ride the game was evolving into. *Yawn*
    How many times I would see,or hear adventurers complaining pre "nerf" on how things were too easy ....boring..redundant....crying about brokeness and how nefs must happen to blah blah blah..give us challenge....WELP, how you like it now LOL..
    I for one am glad for it, this really has not hurt anything, It causes us to become better players imo. With the correction, of some really broken issues, now we can embrace the FREEDOM, from bubbleaddicts and hasteaholics.have fun, build the paladin of your dreams, whichever path you choose, and play it well, so many great adventures ahead .
    The Paladin community has allowed me to make alot of really cool friends, and have always been encouraging and helpful, and supportive to myself and others, lets keep as active as we always have been , this class is not dead, or dying, it is evolving, and if we love the class, we must continue to share and grow as a community we can DO EET !!

~Intelligence is SEXXY, talk nerdy to me ~
  • manyvengeancemanyvengeance Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Well, to be fair, atm dungeons are made to be speed runs, back in mod 5 dungeons took a while coz the rewards were actually nice and you could sell them for some extra AD, right now you only get bound to account salvage.

With this changes the pally struggles to get into any grp, simply because GFs tank and buff better than us, and they didn't even bother on fixing the abilities not working as intended that we have :neutral: