test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gear Up! - A shallow guide for new players (Mod8)

karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
edited January 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
Latetly i have the feeling that new player in this game have problems to gear properly up. Something i find strange because we get now 50% more AD everyday and the cost to upgrade enchantments got greatly reduced as well. So i thought it is time to make a new guide for fresh level 70 characters to gear up properly.

At first, you guys and girls need pair of pants and shirts. You will take the high quality exquisite elemental shirt and pants. They grant you 1,280 stat points. They miss their enchantment slot but because you are a starter you can't effort much. The shirt and the pants cost around 35,000 - 40,000 AD depending on your class. And because the you miss two enchantment slots (one offensive and one defensive) it allows you to focus on other enchantments and upgrade them faster instead staying on an lower level of enchantments. Later on IF you have a steady income you can buy the gemmed exquisite elemental shirt and pants (They cost around 200,000 AD).

Don't buy shirt or pants. Get the drow ones from the armorer for ichor, which you'll have plenty from running PoM. They have a slot and the set bonus is great.

Not BiS but good for a new comer and helps save AD.

The second part is, you need weapons. I mean, i can't send you out in the wilds and killing monsters with your bare hands. You start with enscrolled mulhorand weapons. They are cheap. One Mainhand and One Offhand will cost you around 2,000 to 20,000 AD depending on your class. You can't upgrade them unlike Artifact Weapons, but these are only cheap starter weapons and their weapon damage is most of the time on the same level als epic artifact weapons only some of the stats for some classes are a bit out of place. Later on you can get one of the new artifact sets from the epic Demogorgon fight (as drop or reward if you gather currency), get a stronghold weapon or participate in the quest for one of the four new elemental weaponsets. Don't use the weapons you get if you are level 70 and finish Spinward Rises. Their stats are lower than the other sets, this means you would waste valuable refining points to upgrade them.

The next step is your armor. The best one you can get is for free if you have the necessary elemental seals. This means you aim for Alliance Assault or Alliance Raid Armor Parts. Which of those Sets is the best for you depends on your class and stats you prefer. You get the seals pretty easy from skirmishs. I would recommend to run Prophecy Of Madness because it is an easy skirmish where you can practice with your class and you have the additional chance to get another item you need: Rings!
If you think you can deal with more difficult content run the T1 Dungeon Epic Lair Of Lostmauth. You gain a lot more seals in a Dungeon than from a skirmish but it is also a lot more challenging.

Rings! Since Module 8, the best Rings drop from the new content. This means demogorgon, prophecy of madness, throne of the dwarfen king and demonic encounter. There is a entry in your collection site with all rings. Some of the universal good ones are found in prophecy of madness. The best rings are legendary +5 rings that have a low drop rate but epic +4 or +3 are also good to use. The part is they are for free and you can salvage them for rough astral diamonds.

Now you are only missing items for your neck and waist slot. Buy an artifact belt and cloack from the auction house. If you play a damage dealer class i would recommend to buy the Lostmauth Hoard Necklace and the Golden Of Puissance. Both have most of the time the appropriate stats and if you get later on the horn of lostmauth artifact you complete this set which boost your damage by 10 to 30% depending on your class. Both Items together cost around 65,000 AD.
If you have a Tank or an Healer you should buy different Items. For healer as example i would recommend the Amulett of Tiamat's demise and Tiamats Sash. These two items are a bit more expensive (around 125,000 AD) but if you get also the artifact Tiamats Orb Of Majesty you get a set bonus and increase your incoming and outgoing healing by about 5%. But if you have not much AD to spend on you can also get other cheaper Belts and Cloaks from the auctionhouse. Simply look at your collection which one would fit your character the most before buying these.

Oh, i forgott one important step: Artifacts
You get one from the start by a quest. Which means you have three slots without one. One step to get two new artifacts is to play another character to level 70. At this point you can get a quest from an NPC in Icewinddale to unlock a class artifact. I would recommend a cleric because it has the ability to reload your Action Points and the Stats are also good. You can claim then the other class artifact with your main character as well (the quest unlocks only if you have two level 70 characters).
Then you can use one of the event artifacts in the remaining slot or buy another one in the auction house. Good and cheap Artifacts are Wheel Of Elements (60-70,000 AD) and Tiamats Orb Of Majesty (95,000 AD). You can also wait for a lucky drop of The Lair Of Lostmauth (Dungeon) to get an Lostmauth Horn to complete the said set or play PvP and buy a ravenskull artifact or unlock one of the banner artifacts. But don't ever buy a Aurora's Whole Realm Catalogue. The stats are not great and wasted.

I hope this guide will help you. Farewell.
plat.png
Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
Post edited by karakla1 on

Comments

• Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    Good job
  • Options
    jobsalotofworkjobsalotofwork Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Don't buy shirt or pants. Get the drow ones from the armorer for ichor, which you'll have plenty from running PoM. They have a slot and the set bonus is great.

Not BiS but good for a new comer and helps save AD.
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    You can also run demonic HEs in WoD or IWD insted of PoM (as much as I hate HEs, I find them less painfull than PoM). It's a good option for undergeared chars, since you don't really need to contribute much in zerg, also if you take daily quest from demon hunter, you make ToD/IWD campain progress. Alternatively you can join a guild and grab blue gear from guild marks store. Once you are half decent, you can run normal Demogorgon for protector seals, they are slightly better than elemental ones.
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    Awesome post!

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I don't think you can refine class based artifacts into other artifacts, so you shouldn't put RP into these unless you intend for them to be part of your final set. Definitely the cleric Arti, but I'd have a good think about potentially wasting RP on the others unless you want those stats.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

I don't think you can refine class based artifacts into other artifacts, so you shouldn't put RP into these unless you intend for them to be part of your final set. Definitely the cleric Arti, but I'd have a good think about potentially wasting RP on the others unless you want those stats.

A lot of the class artifacts are pretty much BiS anyways. The difference between them and a more expensive replacement from a lockbox isn't really all that significant for most classes.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    rexfire91rexfire91 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Nice post.

The Vault of the Nine Quest is actually available to your alts at lvl 60 and the quest giver is no longer located in IWD but has been moved to Protectors Enclave. Or at least that's how it was last time I checked.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    rexfire91 said:

Nice post.

The Vault of the Nine Quest is actually available to your alts at lvl 60 and the quest giver is no longer located in IWD but has been moved to Protectors Enclave. Or at least that's how it was last time I checked.

Still true. I finally ran the quest yesterday with my old GF--just cause. The GF artifact is NOT one of the BIS ones! Paladins seem to get everything....
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    A few tips and one request from my side.

Here the tips. Get boons and begin with dread ring. Not bc they are the best, but bc you should run the daily dungeon in dread ring at last tue.-thue. and sat.-sunday. You will have a chance to get an epic mark of union, power or stability from the left chest and when you unlocked the last gauntlet, the right chest can contain marks of potency, even the superior ones, and the eye of lathander.

Boost your chars with companions. For details see other posts on companions.

An epic mount is not needed, but a real improvement on your in game expirience. I play since beta and I still remember the moment, I got my first epic mound and thought, damn, I should have bought one month ago. If you are planning to pay for a longer time with different chars, go for an account mount, when it is on sale.

Join a guild.

Read your class specific guides. I sometimes see 2-3k+ IL GWFs doing 1/5th or less of the dmg of similar geared GWFs. Some ppl play 'exotic' builds by choice, most never bothered to read a guide or ask for advice and wonder, that the other CW/ GWF etc with worse gear deals 10 times their dmg. A few mods ago a friend claimed, that the CW is broken, I said, that he has the wrong build, to deal dmg. To prove it, I went into a skrmish with him. My 8k GS praying CW alt outdpsed his 16k GS CW by miles.

Now my request. I know, that you have to run dungeons and skirmishes, to get your gear, but while the new skirmishes have no IL request, you should not enter them with your 600 IL alts to farm RAD and wonder, that other ppl leave your party. Plz dont try to defend ppl who play with 600 IL, no char played from lvl 1-70 has an IL of 600, if the player bothered to gear him up at all.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

rexfire91 said:

Nice post.

Still true. I finally ran the quest yesterday with my old GF--just cause. The GF artifact is NOT one of the BIS ones! Paladins seem to get everything....
    While not BiS, the GF artifact is pretty good. Defence, Deflect and AoE Resist, with a really nice on-use ability to boot. I have one on my GF and Combat HR.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.