test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's that time again: Epic Cragmire Crypts - Two-manned. Concerns about dungeon difficulty.

jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
Hello, folks.

I wanted to talk about Dungeons, today. This post has two reasons: 1) Bragging rights; 2) Concerns about Dungeon difficulty.

Sharpedge - @thefabricant - and myself, Isaac, decided to try a two-man Epic Cragmire Crypts (ECC) today. He runs a Control Wizard - SS Renegade - of about 2.8k Item Level, while I run a Oath of Devotion Paladin of about 3.4k Item Level. Our decision to run ECC with just the two of us was two-fold. On the one hand, we wanted to just see how far we could push ourselves. On the other hand, we wanted to put to rest all the endless complaining about ECC being impossible. And yes, we killed Traven legitimately.

Since the last bout of Dungeon nerfs, we've been seeing more and more video's and posts of people either two-manning something - I believe it was EToS? - or soloing an epic dungeon: Lazalia in Temple of the Spider. We couldn't stay behind, because we're both known for complaining about the difficulty - or lack thereof - of the dungeons. Neither of us is Best-in-Slot. Below, our stuff:

Sharpedge:

Isaac:

So, the dungeon itself was a piece of cake. We had no wipes, and Sharp soulforged once because he was too lazy to dodge a red zone. Both mini-bosses were pretty easy to deal with. Kallos Tam was mostly a tank and spank, with Sharp dancing around. No problem. The Competing Adventure Party was even easier, considering they're affected by CC, meaning some Burning Light plus everything a CW can throw at them made short work of them. I think it took us about half an hour to get to Traven.

The whole run through the dungeon, damage was completely manageable. With just Bond of Virtue and Shield of Faith up, nothing was killing us. At one point, we decided to pull about three rooms worth of mobs - ECC has too many doors to pull more - and between Bond, Shield of Faith and some CC, we'd do just fine. Sharpedge did have a summoned companion active, so I had something else to bounce Prism off of. Made healing quite easy. Mostly healed through Prism, Bond of Virtue and Vow of Emnity. Nothing different from when you'd have a 5-man setup.

Of course, Traven did give us a little more difficulty. I expected to die a lot, so I brought about 40 kits. In the end, I needed 4. We tried multiple setups during our four tries. First try, I used my Augment instead of the Angel of Protection. Also, I ran with Relentless Avenger/Vow/Bond. At first, Sharp ran without Shield on tab, but it became apparent that when he grabbed agro - I lack any form of taunt - the incoming damage would be too much. On the final try I ran with Burning Light/Vow/Bond with an active companion (the Angel) and just spammed Shield of Faith whenever my AP was full. We followed the pattern described in @thefabricant 's ECC Guide for the 2k IL party. Zigzagging through the room, all the way to the barrel. I'd pop Shield of Faith, hit the barrel, hit my DC sigil, spam heals while Traven goes on his rampage - sometimes, Sharp would Soulforge anyway - and then pop Heroism to cover myself for the second rampage.

When it comes to adds, the cutthroats and the snipers are completely ignorable. They don't deal enough damage and they'll die by AoE damage soon enough. The ones to look out for are the Deathpledged - although not *that* annoying - and most of all the Hexers. There was something about them that made them chew through us pretty quickly.

Anyway, after zig-zagging and popping the keg a few times - It took a while, DPS wasn't at it's highest - we managed to get him down:

Now, with the bragging out of the way, let's head over to the concerns.

The first of which is a often heard problem with the dungeons: Risk (or time/effort) versus reward. At the start of mod 6, the often heard complaint about the T2 dungeons was that the risk wasn't close to the reward. It took too much time and effort to finish ECC or EGWD, so everyone just did EToS. The way this has been dealt with, is reducing the risk, while keeping the rewards at HAMSTER-poor levels. I'm guessing that does mean that the balance between Risk vs Reward is better, but for the sake of longeviety of the dungeon, they've gone the wrong direction. High risk, high reward would've been preferable, as we've got few dungeons to run, and they're soon becoming boring.

Related to the first concern is the second concern: Power creep. Mod 6 was supposedly a 'reset' on the game. People were soloing the toughest content, and this had to be dealt with. Well, less than a mod later we're already seeing people solo Epics, like Lazalia did. Granted, that's a BiS GWF - a class that right now has a whole bunch of issues with balancing when at those item levels - but it's still worrying. People are just beginning to get their mod 8 stuff. As you can see, the only stuff I was using was the Drow set pants/shirt. There's a whole slew of items coming our way that greatly increase the power of your character. Legendary rings, Twisted Weapons, the Elemental weapons, etc. etc. None of these are - luckily - cash-gated, but they'll make the dungeons and ever bigger cake-walk than they are now. Once again, this is bad for the longievety of the dungeons.

Finally, there's a more over-arching concern: the state of the community. People on the forum have accused others of using 'Fake Item Level', using 'Dev magic' or being 'endorsed by Cryptic', whatever that last part might mean. Of course, some of these people throwing about these accusations are utter nutters, but I do legitimatly worry for these people that seem to be completely fixated on the idea that this stuff is hard. It's not. It's doable with two people.

Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.

Comments

• free2payfree2pay Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    First of all, congrats for the achievements.

However, I disagree with your assessment of dungeon difficulty and how you conclude that it can be done with 2 players. Is it truly 2 players of ANY class? Can it be done with a GF and HR?

Have you mistaken the problem when the real cause lies in class imbalance? Do not forget your history lesson:
    1) TR : best solo class for PvE (mod 1 & 2)
    2) CW: best CC and DPS and party formed entirely with CW was not uncommon
    If the success cannot be replicated or repeated with other permutations, that assessment is not robust enough.
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User

@OP: While I sorta agree with the sentiment, the case you make is not very convincing. First of all, 2.8 and 3k+ IL is what I call outgearing the content. Furthermore, you bring the almighty OP. Both facts are not very supportive of your case. First you overgear, then you bring a character that is so overpowered it could probably solo the dungeon if he wanted to. Adding Laz to your list of examples doesn't help either because Laz is even more OP than you two are.

The problem is, that a F2P player can reasonably get up to 2.5k-ish IL without spending (too much) money. Raising the bar any higher without a way to get gear with higher IL (even if they have enough stat points) would turn this game into P2P. I don't think that's a desirable future for the game.

Congrats. Here's your trophy. If you want more difficulty go play pvp to your hearts content.

Stay on topic please. We're talking about PvE. The OP -and me too for that matter- clearly doesn't mention any interest in PvP. The topic here is dungeons. Take your PvP arguments to the dark side of the moon (aka the PvP section) please.
    Thanks for the response. I was kind of expecting the comment about bringing an OP to the party. Therefor, I specificly mentioned I am Oath of Devotion. There's no permanent bubble going on. When it comes to the Devotion build I'm running, it's heals - the amount and the speed of them - are directly related to the amount of people or other healable targets in range. Hence the summoning of the active companion. We experienced four wipes during the Traven fight, and if Sharp went down through some red zone action or because he and I ran out of eachothers range, I would go down quite fast, too, as there's no way to bounce heals around. Traven's firebomb would still hit me for over 100k, with Shield of Faith and Sanctuary up. Not much room for error, ;).

You must acknowledge, though, that the point about the power creep still stands. While I might be overgeared for the content, my characters effectiveness drops rapidly when there's less people around. And we're seeing an evolution here, too. At first, people would consider this only doable with a Protector with permanent Divine Protector. Then, a while back, we showed that it's doable with a party of around 2k IL both with and without any Paladins in the party. While you're right that Lazalia might nog be the prime example of why we need to take another look at diffulty - and, tbh, I placed a little footnote there ;) - we're moving to a place where very good gear, like Drowcraft, is readily available for everyone. I don't consider this a bad thing at all, but everyone is starting to 'outgear' the content, and the difficulty.

Thinking about it, that might be my major gripe: The way a mod is set up. You don't gear up to beat content; you beat content and get gear that made the content you had to do - and that all there is, really - way too easy.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Could you say how much time you spend there? It is a nice test case with only two players. But time is also important. Somehow in previous mod, 1 hour for a dungeon was OK. Now, people expect half a hour or even less in most of cases.

Edit: I want to add that the reason that players feel quite overpower now is related to so many artifact stuff. Elol set, lol.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Could you say how much time you spend there? It is a nice test case with only two players. But time is also important. Somehow in previous mod, 1 hour for a dungeon was OK. Now, people expect half a hour or even less in most of cases.

Edit: I want to add that the reason that players feel quite overpower now is related to so many artifact stuff. Elol set, lol.

We spent around 2 hours in the dungeon, the majority of the time was spent figuring out what would work for the 2 man, during our wipes. I would say its more a case of perseverance pays off then anything else really and the important thing to note is that was what it took, perseverance and dedication to achieving an objective, which is not something I see any of those 2k groups that complain about dungeon difficulty do. After every wipe, we looked at the combat log, found what killed us and discussed what we could try in the next attempt to make it better.The final discussion before we succeeded went something like..."We need to focus heavily on the hexers when they spawn, even if we disrupt the zig zag pattern. You cannot out heal both the hexers and the add waves" as well as his responses and contributions. That is the general point, all those people complaining about dungeon difficulty, the way to learn and get better is to accept that the first 1, 2, even 4 times you will fail and make adjustments after every wipe to try to minimize mistakes.
  • bytesmeebytesmee Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    jaegernl said:

Thanks for the response. I was kind of expecting the comment about bringing an OP to the party. Therefor, I specificly mentioned I am Oath of Devotion. There's no permanent bubble going on. When it comes to the Devotion build I'm running, it's heals - the amount and the speed of them - are directly related to the amount of people or other healable targets in range. Hence the summoning of the active companion. We experienced four wipes during the Traven fight, and if Sharp went down through some red zone action or because he and I ran out of eachothers range, I would go down quite fast, too, as there's no way to bounce heals around. Traven's firebomb would still hit me for over 100k, with Shield of Faith and Sanctuary up. Not much room for error, ;).

Following with magenubbie's comment, mentioning being a Devotion OP still doesn't really excuse much, the class is literally the be-all and end-all for healing and tanking. Sure Devotion can't become invulnerable with Divine Protector, but with smart play (ie avoid heavy red) Shield of Faith is more than enough to tank dungeons with. So coupled with (slightly) weaker tanking capabilities and incredible healing, the class itself only needed DPS (and potential CC) which the CW can take care of.
    jaegernl said:

You must acknowledge, though, that the point about the power creep still stands. While I might be overgeared for the content, my characters effectiveness drops rapidly when there's less people around. And we're seeing an evolution here, too. At first, people would consider this only doable with a Protector with permanent Divine Protector. Then, a while back, we showed that it's doable with a party of around 2k IL both with and without any Paladins in the party. While you're right that Lazalia might nog be the prime example of why we need to take another look at diffulty - and, tbh, I placed a little footnote there ;) - we're moving to a place where very good gear, like Drowcraft, is readily available for everyone. I don't consider this a bad thing at all, but everyone is starting to 'outgear' the content, and the difficulty.

Thinking about it, that might be my major gripe: The way a mod is set up. You don't gear up to beat content; you beat content and get gear that made the content you had to do - and that all there is, really - way too easy.

Divine Protector was deemed necessary on release as Traven's fight was practically impossible at the average level. Once issues regarding DR and ArPen were fixed the dungeon became much more accessible to everyone and GF+DC was more than capable of killing Traven legitimately. Removing OP as being a necessity wasn't really everyone becoming stronger but rather the content actually being scaled correctly for prospective players. It was one broken class being used to complete one broken dungeon.

Yes, power creep is slowly building up again (as is the cycle of MMOs), and it is something worth watching over as I'm sure we'll be outgearing content for a while before anything new is added, but I think class balance is still the bigger issue regarding content (dungeon) difficulty at the moment. Outgearing content is always an issue, the fact we have players running around with 4k TIL and our single hardest 'dungeon' requires 2.5k for entry shows we are technically already there, but I feel the gear simply compounds the strength of class imbalances. Lazalia soloing T2s as a GWF is honestly not surprising, a few mods ago CW's were the king for that sort of thing, we've simply moved on. But until a HR or SW can achieve this it shows where priority should lie. Fix the classes, then fix the gear/content. Working with a broken 'foundation' is simply going to mess everything else up in the long-run.

TL;DR Certain classes can "cheese" the content, the gear requirement isn't necessarily high for that. Fix the classes, then "outgearing" concerns can be properly handled.

• urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Eh. Imagine how much your AD earned per day would drop if dungeons actually took an hour.

Fabricant is probably running three perfect bonding runestones (at least) on his companion and a full set of companions. So basically what we're getting at is that dungeons are too easy for players that don't really need AD anymore. If PWE/Cryptic were willing to increase rewards sufficiently, sure, make some dungeons harder. But I really doubt that will ever happen and the game is already at the point where reaching the kind of stats that OP and his OP had are out of reach for most players.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Congrats on the achievement guys!

Agreed that the power creep is getting out of control again and the rewards not lining up with the effort put in. It is concerning that not long after the reset button was pressed, we're seeing a repeat of Mod 5 already.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    urabask said:

Eh. Imagine how much your AD earned per day would drop if dungeons actually took an hour.

Fabricant is probably running three perfect bonding runestones (at least) on his companion and a full set of companions. So basically what we're getting at is that dungeons are too easy for players that don't really need AD anymore. If PWE/Cryptic were willing to increase rewards sufficiently, sure, make some dungeons harder. But I really doubt that will ever happen and the game is already at the point where reaching the kind of stats that OP and his OP had are out of reach for most players.
    Yes, I am running 3 perfect bondings on bling dog, my companion. I would be using a lightfoot thief if I could afford one but oh well, blink dog until then. Still though, it should not be possible to 2 man the content, so something needs to be done both to class balance and to dungeon difficulty.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Actually, this example highlights what I love about Neverwinter, and why it's PvE game is probably one of the best out there for MMOs.

Neverwinter, more than any other MMO out there, rewards skill. Players are rewarded for being great at the game, not just having the best gear or playing the most over-powered class. Sure, that stuff matters...but skill and thoughtful gameplay matter more. Most other MMOs tend to focus on gameplay that punishes skillful play and forces people to stay within certain boxes, else content can't be completed.

This is just a prime example of that. You take two very good players with very good gear, put them in a situation where they needed to thoughtfully execute every fight, and they can succeed. No other MMO rewards players for that type of play. It's either you're geared or you're not. You run the right rotation or you don't. You stand in the stupid or you don't.

The average player has no chance at every duo'ing a dungeon like this, no matter how good their gear. Heck, the average player in average gear still has a hard time with some of the T2 dungeon content. And there's not many MMOs out there where fights aren't ever over until everyone is on the floor. In almost every game, if one person dies, it's a wipe. Is the tank dead? Wipe it. Is the healer dead? Wipe it.

In Neverwinter, it ain't over until it's over. There's been so many times where I've seen amazing players actually BE HEROES in fights that I though for sure were over, but somehow they end up pulling it out. Fights were there's only one person left and a boss at 5% health, and they manage to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge, while putting out enough damage to finish off the boss.

In any other MMO, that's a wipe. Tanks dies? Boss one-shots everyone else and you restart. Healer dies? Tanks dies in three hits, all the DPS get one-shot, and you restart. In Neverwinter? Maybe the group wipes, maybe not. So even in that regard, you have the holy grail that so many other MMOs chase, but fail to achieve. Is there a Trinity in Neverwinter? Yes. Do you always need a tank/healer/DPS? Not really...honestly most times the answer is "depends on how good you are". That's something that shouldn't be understated.

But back to the example above. Does this mean the entire game is too easy? For some people, yeah. For most others, no. Does this mean we have to nerf/buff? Maybe? Maybe not. The problem here becomes player perception of what is and isn't overpowered, since something in the hands of the right player can seem impossibly strong, while other stuff in the hands of a bad player can seem ridiculously weak. Balancing classes and content in a game where player skill is so important is tough.

So great accomplishment and congratulations. But does this mean the entire game needs to be rebalanced? No. Is it fun to see players who are over-gearing content get creative with new ways to challenge themselves? Absolutely.

Is the sky falling from an alarming amount of power creep? Again, not really. You're taking an example of 7 month old content, and running it with current gear. Can you 5 man Epic Demogorgon and still get Gold? Probably not...but that's the bar for "end game" right now.

And hopefully with what they have planned for new dungeon content in Module 9, the difficulty bar will be raised a couple more notches, and players will be challenged again, just like when the revamped dungeons did when Mod 6 launched.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    With the usual work flow of the mods, I believe, a mod is designed about 2 mods in advance, so if the next one is mod 9, mod 10 is already in the design /planning phase or even further.
    So it's better to get alarmed now than discover in 2 mods that almost everything is soloable, half the population left due to boredom (aka mod5), compensate to late (mod 6) and watch the tears again.

So, yes, it's time to get alarmed, or it will be to late.

Abut other games:

Not sure if naming them is ok here, so I'll just say that I recently was curious and tried two games,
    lets call one Hephaestus, and the other white tundra.
    Hephaestus is more similar to NW, and in 5 man dungeons, a tank could die, and the rest could keep up ( for a time at least - there is no healer there) and so on.
    What I liked there, a lot, (except the class change option, and about 30 dungeons) is that in one dungeon you had patrolling enemy's that were way to hard to kill, you aggro one and the group dies.
    So you had to sneak from room to room as they pass the corridor.

Or other examples were platform that each member had to stand on to disable bosses shield, a canon a player had to use while another leading the boss into the firing range and so on..

This is a significant step up from aggro a bunch of mobs and smash them to death. Tavern water idea, and Garisto are somewhat a step in that direction and I hope to see more stuff like that.

About 5 man eDemo, honestly, maybe not 5 but I think 6 smartly picked classes, enchants and so on can do it.
    Tank, primary healer, debuffer/secondary healer + 3 dps can do it.

Post edited by micky1p00 on
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

Most other MMOs tend to focus on gameplay that punishes skillful play and forces people to stay within certain boxes, else content can't be completed.

But yet we see a slow but steady attempt to nerf away all of the clever adventuring tactics. TR's being able to shadowy past certain obstacles may not have been intended, but it was fun and it's a very fitting thing to do. Dragging bosses into more advantageous situations, even killing them with traps, was certainly not intended, but it was fun and clever adventuring. Often times the genius of a game is in how it fails to do what the designers intended. We see the devs fixing the stuff that lets us be clever and get a weak group through (relatively) tough content, but fixes for things that actually need it seem not so forthcoming.

In Neverwinter, it ain't over until it's over. There's been so many times where I've seen amazing players actually BE HEROES in fights that I though for sure were over, but somehow they end up pulling it out. Fights were there's only one person left and a boss at 5% health, and they manage to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge, while putting out enough damage to finish off the boss.

That is pretty much exclusively a factor of overgeared players being overpowered, and not so much tactical brilliance. Boss fights almost always involve far too many attacks and AoEs coming at you for a single player to survive without being an overpowered class, or having ridiculously good gear. No amount of perfectly timed dodges is going to save you from Valindra's hordes if you aren't ridiculous just from gear.
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User

Actually, this example highlights what I love about Neverwinter, and why it's PvE game is probably one of the best out there for MMOs.

Neverwinter, more than any other MMO out there, rewards skill. Players are rewarded for being great at the game, not just having the best gear or playing the most over-powered class. Sure, that stuff matters...but skill and thoughtful gameplay matter more. Most other MMOs tend to focus on gameplay that punishes skillful play and forces people to stay within certain boxes, else content can't be completed.

This is just a prime example of that. You take two very good players with very good gear, put them in a situation where they needed to thoughtfully execute every fight, and they can succeed. No other MMO rewards players for that type of play. It's either you're geared or you're not. You run the right rotation or you don't. You stand in the stupid or you don't.

The average player has no chance at every duo'ing a dungeon like this, no matter how good their gear. Heck, the average player in average gear still has a hard time with some of the T2 dungeon content. And there's not many MMOs out there where fights aren't ever over until everyone is on the floor. In almost every game, if one person dies, it's a wipe. Is the tank dead? Wipe it. Is the healer dead? Wipe it.

In any other MMO, that's a wipe. Tanks dies? Boss one-shots everyone else and you restart. Healer dies? Tanks dies in three hits, all the DPS get one-shot, and you restart. In Neverwinter? Maybe the group wipes, maybe not. So even in that regard, you have the holy grail that so many other MMOs chase, but fail to achieve. Is there a Trinity in Neverwinter? Yes. Do you always need a tank/healer/DPS? Not really...honestly most times the answer is "depends on how good you are". That's something that shouldn't be understated.

But back to the example above. Does this mean the entire game is too easy? For some people, yeah. For most others, no. Does this mean we have to nerf/buff? Maybe? Maybe not. The problem here becomes player perception of what is and isn't overpowered, since something in the hands of the right player can seem impossibly strong, while other stuff in the hands of a bad player can seem ridiculously weak. Balancing classes and content in a game where player skill is so important is tough.

So great accomplishment and congratulations. But does this mean the entire game needs to be rebalanced? No. Is it fun to see players who are over-gearing content get creative with new ways to challenge themselves? Absolutely.

Is the sky falling from an alarming amount of power creep? Again, not really. You're taking an example of 7 month old content, and running it with current gear. Can you 5 man Epic Demogorgon and still get Gold? Probably not...but that's the bar for "end game" right now.

And hopefully with what they have planned for new dungeon content in Module 9, the difficulty bar will be raised a couple more notches, and players will be challenged again, just like when the revamped dungeons did when Mod 6 launched.

great post, if you are not lazy go pug, you can have nice feeling of satisfaction lead group of newbies through something, they cant finish without you. this is really nice thing in neverwinter

but sadly that reward is only as personal satisfaction achievement of sort and has no impact on game resources. Why trying leading pugs through difficult dungeon, when you can zerg few heroic encounters and get more AD from them. but rewards system in the game should be all rebalanced
  • narjimanarjima Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    First of: congrats to this achievement, I think it's totally awesome that there are players able to do this and you guys have all the right in the world to brag about it :) Especially that Sharp manages to dodge all the red with his HAMSTER South African internet connection is impressive ;)

Now to the point of my post:I totally agree with Ironzerg79 in that this game is made a lot easier by player skill. From my experience of running with the two of you I can confidently say that you play your characters to their highest potential. I would guess that Ironzerg himself falls in the same category but since I did not meet him yet I can't judge. Unfortunately, I belong to the sort of players who are just not that skilled. Be that because I don't take the time to do extended testings or look at the combat log after a fight or just personal skill, I don't know. Fact is that for a player like me the current content is totally fine. Both of my main toons are now just above 2.5 k iLvl so that I can run eDemo, and at that point eTos is rather straightforward while eCC and eGWD are still a challenge (though probably mainly because I ran both exactly twice so far).

However I also see the power creep and even at this point there is a lack of incentive for me to grind all the stuff I need to push my characters higher. Sure, I love to see them grow stronger, but if that means I have to farm 100 motes I will probably just pass on that. It's as you say the balance of effort and reward. At this point the effort is just to high for the reward, since I can play everything at my current level.

So overall I am strongly against making the current content harder. What this game really needs imho is T3 and T4 dungeons. Put T3 at around the same difficulty as epic Demogorgon, and T4 even higher. This would give highly skilled and geared players a new challenge while not increasing difficulty for the average player. I am still hoping that the old dungeons are reworked in that way since I know that this is not a new idea and has been brought up before.
  • malabogpigfeedermalabogpigfeeder Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Well, you're an OP the most broken class in this game, 2 months back, with my OP protection i tanked without healer etos and almost ecc, traven was 5% from dead when i couldn't generate enough ap for 7 or 8 seconds and my team died, in etos i died 2 or 3 times on the white spiders, even with DP.
    How did i do it? 1 lathander dew, 1 rank 15 valindra necklace, tidespan potion (5600 recovery total), 1 epic sigil of the devoted, IL 2100, templar's wrath, smite, burning light, tick divinity and repeat, the best neclace for OP regarding resistance would be tiamat, but valindra was just 17k and i didn't want to spend much on a secondary char.
    So, is IL a problem? absolutly not, if i go back to protection and i put some more resistance and legendary sigil, and a proper weapeon enchant for a OP, like a plague, soon i woud not find problems in soloing both.
    I would appreciate you to not read my signature, now that you did, dont do it again.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Congrats on the achievement.

I still think about when @luckycharms1979 finished a Spellplague like that on his NATURE ranger after the rest of the party went down.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Dungeon difficulty is fine. You fail to realize how broken OPs are. You try to 2-man that with a DC instead and watch yourself wipe in a matter of moments.
    ghoulz66 said:

Dungeon difficulty is fine. You fail to realize how broken OPs are. You try to 2-man that with a DC instead and watch yourself wipe in a matter of moments.

Not really, once I have properly geared up my wizard I will try a 2 man with a dc and then a solo run, lazalia did it solo on GWF and whilst I don't think I can solo it on CW, I am certain I can do it 2 man with a dc.
  • blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User

Not really, once I have properly geared up my wizard I will try a 2 man with a dc and then a solo run, lazalia did it solo on GWF and whilst I don't think I can solo it on CW, I am certain I can do it 2 man with a dc.

Lemme guess...you will make it with a puppet master + DC in grp? And if you do this, i still believe you never will do eCC in duo with an DC. I dont think classes like SW/DC can take that damage from bosses/mobs. But i cross my fingers for your try.
    Our GWF did eTos/eLoL solo too, just to proofe he can do it. But he was bored the whole runs.

P.S.: And i think you cant do spider temple solo...sry. Maybe the 3 man version . *ha ha

blinxon said:

Lemme guess...you will make it with a puppet master + DC in grp? And if you do this, i still believe you never will do eCC in duo with an DC. I dont think classes like SW/DC can take that damage from bosses/mobs. But i cross my fingers for your try.
    Our GWF did eTos/eLoL solo too, just to proofe he can do it. But he was bored the whole runs.

P.S.: And i think you cant do spider temple solo...sry. Maybe the 3 man version . *ha ha

CW, not SW.
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    Plus you add to Laz's setup and gear the way Life Steal works now--->even more powerful than any self healing of the past on a BiS player+endless consuption.

Also: CWs are a very balanced class: they can output very good DPS and AoE CC, which adds to survivability. So a CW might do it with a DC, while, for example, a SW probably would fail.

I also agree that players tend to go for the "class is overpowered" route, while skills play a very big role.
    Lazalia spent time and effort to change the usual PvE build for that fight, and also studied the attacks and learned how to avoid them. Another 4k GWF would, probably, just die if going unprepared.
    In this case, instead, the Paladin most likely completely erased the risks, so all you need to concentrate was attacking. With current paladins it's usually like that.

Players got used to just being invulnerable/ immortal with Paladins, and should re-learn how to dodge and survive cause OPs won't stay like that forever.

I'd love to se a really BiS trapper and CW trying to solo these dungeons too. I think these classes might have the potential to make it. If the player is skilled enough.
    edited December 2015
    pando83 said:

Plus you add to Laz's setup and gear the way Life Steal works now--->even more powerful than any self healing of the past on a BiS player+endless consuption.

Also: CWs are a very balanced class: they can output very good DPS and AoE CC, which adds to survivability. So a CW might do it with a DC, while, for example, a SW probably would fail.

I also agree that players tend to go for the "class is overpowered" route, while skills play a very big role.
    Lazalia spent time and effort to change the usual PvE build for that fight, and also studied the attacks and learned how to avoid them. Another 4k GWF would, probably, just die if going unprepared.
    In this case, instead, the Paladin most likely completely erased the risks, so all you need to concentrate was attacking. With current paladins it's usually like that.

Players got used to just being invulnerable/ immortal with Paladins, and should re-learn how to dodge and survive cause OPs won't stay like that forever.

I'd love to se a really BiS trapper and CW trying to solo these dungeons too. I think these classes might have the potential to make it. If the player is skilled enough.

Running with isaac does not completely erase the risks, my CW as he is currently built does not output the highest damage so monsters tend to stick around for quite a while, this makes it possible for us to die/wipe as unlike a run with a bubble pally, you still take damage when running with devotion, 1 shots still 1 shot etc. It is definitely easier then running with a dc/gf, but as I said, I do intend to try that next and then hopefully a solo. I do intend to resolve the issue of sub par damage by changing the way he is built, but atm it is really a case of catching him up from mod 5, I haven't really touched him much since then so I am currently using..."WIP Gear" rather then the gear I would like to be using.
    edited December 2015
    Wot dungeon will you do solo with your CW? Sry...but i cant believe you can solo spider with your CW. But maybe you surprise me ^^

1 shots still 1 shot etc.

Where do yu have 1 shots in T1/T2 since the last "we nerf this game almost to module 5 style"? Dont remember where i got one shot with my CW since they made this game f... easy
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

Neverwinter, more than any other MMO out there, rewards skill.

Really? REALLY? Rewards and skill: Two things completely missing in NW and what makes your whole post invalid.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User

This. Players in this class just need more challenging content with worthy rewards. I don't mind them getting ridiculously AD rich if they're willing to spend the time and answer the challenge of a really tough dungeon for amazing stuff they can resell for millions. That's why Castle Never worked. Now that they can't take the easy way out and just grind a profession for their AD, these folks are probably getting bored to tears and doing stuff like this to keep entertained playing this game.

It says nothing about the capacity of average players who don't have all day to grind the game or pay a bunch of money. For them, and that's a lot of us, the difficulty is just fine for the most part. However, it would be more accurate to say that Neverwinter COULD reward skill, but at this point, the rewards are not commensurate with the experience.

Unless you can craft many, many pairs of pants.

I wish this will come. We need more challenge for our endcontent gamers. The items from theese dungeons dont have to be unbound to generate mios of ad. But the reward must be much better, than you can get now with only dumb grinding.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Yeah, except for all the damage you can't dodge, either because it's instant (which has no place in a skill based game), or because you don't have a magic "dodge" ability that actually makes you invulnerable and has nothing to do with actual dodging.

>Neverwinter
    >skill
    Thanks for a good laugh.

By the way, I did those things before. They have nothing to do with skill and everything to do with your gear and proper class build.

By the way, I did those things before. They have nothing to do with skill and everything to do with your gear and proper class build.

Wot things did you before? In which module? Kindergarden modul 5?

• pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User

Running with isaac does not completely erase the risks, my CW as he is currently built does not output the highest damage so monsters tend to stick around for quite a while, this makes it possible for us to die/wipe as unlike a run with a bubble pally, you still take damage when running with devotion, 1 shots still 1 shot etc. It is definitely easier then running with a dc/gf, but as I said, I do intend to try that next and then hopefully a solo. I do intend to resolve the issue of sub par damage by changing the way he is built, but atm it is really a case of catching him up from mod 5, I haven't really touched him much since then so I am currently using..."WIP Gear" rather then the gear I would like to be using.

Can't wait to see more of other classes trying to challenge the content.
    Lazalia's videos are amazing but yeah, it would also be fun to see other classes doing it, if they have the potential.