test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] "Display driver has stopped working, and has recovered successfully"

isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
"Display driver has stopped working, and has recovered successfully"! Safe mode does not work and neither does the
-d3d9 command.... Anyone know a fix for this?
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• superfun666superfun666 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    its crashing my driver as well, i dont know what d3d9 is but safe mod is not working for me as well
    edited August 2015
    do u have a geforce gt 630?
  • itstheyokitstheyok Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    ditto....safe to say, coming back tomorrow is our best bet while the devs iron out these gremlins :)
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    isaintify1 wrote: »
    "Display driver has stopped working, and has recovered successfully"! Safe mode does not work and neither does the

You mean:
    -d3d11Enable 0

didn't work for you? hm. Other than that the game is offline anyway right now..... not sure what to tell you. That line added to my Command Line params worked for me on Owlbear and Preview and so far on Live (though I never got in game, just the character select screen). I've never seen the "-d3d9" command - I could be wrong, but it looks like a typo? (Just because I've never seen it, doesn't mean it's wrong -- but the one I posted above is what works for me)
  • isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    do u have a nvidia 630?
    No I have a AMD "but its pretty caca"and game worked fine mod 5, then module 6 came and I had to play the game in safe mode or that command line.

• itstheyokitstheyok Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    i have no idea how to edit original post on these forums, so mods please merge this into my original if u like, but booting in safe mode fixed this for me, but i got timeout every time when trying to log into toon
    kvet wrote: »

You mean:
    -d3d11Enable 0

didn't work for you? hm. Other than that the game is offline anyway right now..... not sure what to tell you. That line added to my Command Line params worked for me on Owlbear and Preview and so far on Live (though I never got in game, just the character select screen). I've never seen the "-d3d9" command - I could be wrong, but it looks like a typo? (Just because I've never seen it, doesn't mean it's wrong -- but the one I posted above is what works for me)
    No I think its right or very close I was just trying to remember what it was and posted it... But I never have seen your command before. This is -d3d9 zebular gave out in a post to help fix it for others.

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    Ok this is a hail mary for those having "Display driver has stopped working, and has recovered successfully". I haven't had this issue in a couple years now since I got a new computer. However my old computer didn't really have adequate ventilation and would get hotter than it should but not hot enough to throw off overheat warnings. When it did this I would get that error on window7 and would have to clean the vents. Kind of a longshot option but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    charononus wrote: »
    Ok this is a hail mary for those having "Display driver has stopped working, and has recovered successfully". I haven't had this issue in a couple years now since I got a new computer. However my old computer didn't really have adequate ventilation and would get hotter than it should but not hot enough to throw off overheat warnings. When it did this I would get that error on window7 and would have to clean the vents. Kind of a longshot option but I thought I'd throw it out there.

i have 2 fans and a liquid cooling system so i dont think its this
    I have a terrible computer but I have confirmed this is not a computer issue, that it is an issue else where. How to fix it know one knows.

Yeah probably not with that. Meh it was a long shot to throw out and see if it would help anyone.

I have a terrible computer but I have confirmed this is not a computer issue, that it is an issue else where. How to fix it know one knows.

See this doesn't make sense. It is an issue with the computer. Specifically an issue with your driver. Now it could be that parts of neverwinter's code don't play well with your driver, but that still makes it an issue with your computer and the client in that case. In which case there are usually several steps you can take to work around the problem while you submit a bug report and wait for a true fix. Just saying that you confirmed something doesn't really help. If you want true help with it since it seems like no one has a magic answer from it being a known issue, people are going to need to know:

1) System specs, cpu, gpu, ram, hdd space etc.
    2) OS version and if it has all updates
    3) Driver version for your gpu
    4) What steps you have taken to try to solve this yourself already. (this needs to be exact and explicit.)

Only then can people even begin to try to start troubleshooting your issue when they don't have it themselves. The best I could do without it was throw out that hail mary idea from my own previous experience.

edited August 2015

Yeah probably not with that. Meh it was a long shot to throw out and see if it would help anyone.

See this doesn't make sense. It is an issue with the computer. Specifically an issue with your driver. Now it could be that parts of neverwinter's code don't play well with your driver, but that still makes it an issue with your computer and the client in that case. In which case there are usually several steps you can take to work around the problem while you submit a bug report and wait for a true fix. Just saying that you confirmed something doesn't really help. If you want true help with it since it seems like no one has a magic answer from it being a known issue, people are going to need to know:

4) What steps you have taken to try to solve this yourself already. (this needs to be exact and explicit.)

Only then can people even begin to try to start troubleshooting your issue when they don't have it themselves. The best I could do without it was throw out that hail mary idea from my own previous experience.
    I know of others with much better pcs that have the same issue for one thing... Also ive reinstalled my graphics card, I have changed settings, I have changed firewall settings. I get this issue but I do not crash completely, it just tells me that error and then loads forever, or screen turns black. Ive reinstalled the game, I have changed around display settings.

Oh and everything is updated to the latest versions as well for everything in my computer.

• ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User

Except there are pages and pages of people giving specs, cpu, gpu, ram, hdd space etc. in the bug reports from preview of mod 6 till now. Literally months of feedback given and there has not been an official "fix" for this yet. People have given workarounds such as the -d3d9 or checking safe mod each time. Now it looks like that is not working either for some people.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    I updated to the latest nVidia driver last night and had this same error message while not playing Neverwinter.

If you recently updated the driver (nVidia or other), try rebooting. If you still get that error message, try rolling back to an older driver.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min

I know of others with much better pcs that have the same issue for one thing... Also ive reinstalled my graphics card, I have changed settings, I have changed firewall settings. I get this issue but I do not crash completely, it just tells me that error and then loads forever, or screen turns black. Ive reinstalled the game, I have changed around display settings.

Oh and everything is updated to the latest versions as well for everything in my computer.

Ok firewall settings aren't related to a graphics card crash. Reinstalling your graphics card driver was a good step one. However there is a reason I asked about driver versions. A few months back nvidia released a driver that caused WoW to crash with some of their cards. In that case having the most updated driver was a bad thing. This is why to do a bug report or ask people for help troubleshooting, people need exact details. Without that it's guess work and divination.

Ok firewall settings aren't related to a graphics card crash. Reinstalling your graphics card driver was a good step one. However there is a reason I asked about driver versions. A few months back nvidia released a driver that caused WoW to crash with some of their cards. In that case having the most updated driver was a bad thing. This is why to do a bug report or ask people for help troubleshooting, people need exact details. Without that it's guess work and divination.
    Firewall actually can affect you logging into the game. There has been a few people that had to allow some games premissons to run. So I did this as just an additional thing to hope for a fix.

edited August 2015

Firewall actually can affect you logging into the game. There has been a few people that had to allow some games premissons to run. So I did this as just an additional thing to hope for a fix.
    Right, not saying firewalls never cause issues, but I've yet to see one cause a graphics driver problem. It's something unrelated to the main problem you are having. Unrelated things are just that unrelated. Anyways unless you want to post the info needed to actually troubleshoot your problem I'm done.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Well, don't know where zeb got "-d3d9" from. In the Alpha forum, this is the one we were recommended to use, and it works correctly for me for Owlbear and Preview (and I supposed in Live too since I was able to get to the character screen...)
    -d3d11Enable 0

Right, not saying firewalls never cause issues, but I've yet to see one cause a graphics driver problem. It's something unrelated to the main problem you are having. Unrelated things are just that unrelated. Anyways unless you want to post the info needed to actually troubleshoot your problem I'm done.
    lmao -_-

kvet wrote: »
    Well, don't know where zeb got "-d3d9" from. In the Alpha forum, this is the one we were recommended to use, and it works correctly for me for Owlbear and Preview (and I supposed in Live too since I was able to get to the character screen...)
    -d3d11Enable 0

Yeah I will try it out and see if it works when servers are back up.

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    itstheyok wrote: »
    i have no idea how to edit original post on these forums, so mods please merge this into my original if u like, but booting in safe mode fixed this for me, but i got timeout every time when trying to log into toon
    Left Click the white Cog Icon on the top right of your post and in the drop-down that appears, choose Edit. Cheers!

• tonitruslipistonitruslipis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Ok its nice that this all started to happen in mod 5 +, mine started after a update of never winter about 3 months after i started, then it started with my daughters compuer about 8 month ago after an updatem its isomething to do with the character screen and nivida cards, safe modw worked up until the preview and this mode now unable to log in at all crashed my vid card every time!! so its just bad programing on arcs or perfict worlds side
    Ok its nice that this all started to happen in mod 5 +, mine started after a update of never winter about 3 months after i started, then it started with my daughters compuer about 8 month ago after an updatem its isomething to do with the character screen and nivida cards, safe modw worked up until the preview and this mode now unable to log in at all crashed my vid card every time!! so its just bad programing on arcs or perfict worlds side
    Yes I know what you mean... :/ Its been just about the same thing with me, and is increasing frustrating. Only thing I can recommend is wait about a hour on the loading screen. (It sometimes loads and gets you in)
This discussion has been closed.