test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gaming mice

feileacan1967feileacan1967 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
What is a good gaming mouse to use that will allow me to use all the mouse buttons in this game? I have a steelseries wow mouse but neverwinter only recognizes 3 buttons of 14. So I'm looking to invest in a new one that neverwinter will recognize properly.
Post edited by zebular on

Best Answers

• Options
    skitzopyroskitzopyro Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    Love my Razer Naga works perfectly fine with this game.
  • Options
    freefrothfreefroth Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    I use a Logitech G600 mouse. Quiite affordable and works a treat for this game.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Answer ✓
    putzboy78 wrote: »
    I've had and loved several logitech gaming mice. Its a great permormance mouse but I consistently wear down the mouse buttons within 6 months (initially, then they break down quicker after repair). Here's a video on how to fix them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDoXMJyimDU

Switched to Naga a year ago, no problems yet. I'll be sticking with Razer. Gaming mice shouldn't break down in less than a year.

I bought several Logitech Gaming Mice over the years. Expensive gamine mice at that. They all stopped working within months. Not even a year. I even tried going wireless to avoid issues with the wires but the two wireless gaming mice stopped charging within 6 months.

So I spent years using cheap $10 logitech wireless mice without complaint.

Then I bought a Naga Epic. I've had it for 5 years now without a single issue. In fact the only two reasons I am considering buying a new one is because...

1) I am vain and the fact the rubber coating is finally wearing off in high contact areas (only started last month) makes me frown when I see it.

2) I have a main computer, a LAN-Box and a laptop and it's frustrating having to either leave it behind or take it off the main computer when going mobile. Additionally at this point nothing makes me lose my desire to play games like not having my Razer Naga. I imagine it is the exact same "lost" feeling console gamers get when they have to use a keyboard and mouse instead of the monstrosities they call controllers now.

So yeah, I 100% recommend Razer Naga. I even bought one for a friend who was perfectly content with his $10 wireless mouse, never owned a gaming mouse and never really wanted to and he's had his for four years now and feels the exact same way about his mouse as I do about mine.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Answer ✓
    As for getting banned for using keybinds on a mouse: as long as it is a single key press to a single input it is no different than using a keyboard.

In fact the Razer Naga defaults to using numbers 1-0 and - and = and registers exactly as keyboard input. There is also a switch to use the number pad as well which most games use interchangeably but...yeah...it took me a day or two to finally realize why my Naga was not having Geralt draw his swords in the Witcher 3.

Sure you can use the Razer Synapse to create macros and bot-like commands which is a bit on the line but as long as you use it as a single key you won't be banned. Or if you do then tell them to ban ambisinisterr too because I have used this mouse religiously since before the game was released, haha.
  • Options
    edited June 2015 Answer ✓
    I have no issues operating all the buttons with just my thumb. I am actually ambidextrous but my finger dexterity is in the pits. I literally can not use my pinky finger for anything. haha.

It took some time to get the muscle memory down and in fact I only used numbers 1-5 and 7 for a long time due to them being easier for me to feel out but in time it became completely natural. However I would be happy even if there was a bit more separation on the keys.

491f8ca7_razer-molten-5.jpeg

The new naga actually moved the forward and back keys on to the left side of the left click which I do think is genius though. I'd love to see more mice doing that and possible adding some on the right side of the right click. But for me with my fingers anything which would require my ring or pinky finger to actuate would result in an effort of futility.

Also I only learned about mouse grips when Neverwinter first came out. I was completely unaware people held mice differently because everybody I have ever seen hold a mouse in person does not even follow the stupid categories people commonly accept.

I hold my mouse between the claw and palm grip. I do not crich my fingers up in that uncomfortable position shown in the claw grip. However I do not rest my hand on the mouse. My palm rests on the table and I pinch the mouse between my thumb and ring finger and only the typical fingerprint area of my index and middle finger make contact with the mouse.

In other words no sweaty palms or muscle cramps from moving my entire arm instead of just shifting my fingers from lift to right, forward and back.

Answers

• Options
    feileacan1967feileacan1967 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    how is mapping keys to a mouse the same as you do a keyboard going to get you banned for botting? No automation just key presses mapped to the mouse.
  • Options
    wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    That would probably get you banned for botting, read about something like that.

About binding keys to mouse? I dont think so, it sounds... absurd.
    Unless you mean somebody writing macros on mouse, yeah these can be nasty but I dont think OP meant that.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    freefroth wrote: »

I've had and loved several logitech gaming mice. Its a great permormance mouse but I consistently wear down the mouse buttons within 6 months (initially, then they break down quicker after repair). Here's a video on how to fix them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDoXMJyimDU

Switched to Naga a year ago, no problems yet. I'll be sticking with Razer. Gaming mice shouldn't break down in less than a year.
  • Options
    freefrothfreefroth Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    putzboy78 wrote: »
    freefroth wrote: »

Hmm, sounds like you have had some bad experiences. My mouse is a little over 12 months old and works like new. My other logitech mice only got replaced cause i wanted more features. I also think the g600 had more comfortable and discernable button positioning than the naga (which i tried). I have a couple of logitech products so it is convenient with the gaming software all in one place. At the end of the day it is whatever floats your boat.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    What is a good gaming mouse to use that will allow me to use all the mouse buttons in this game? I have a steelseries wow mouse but neverwinter only recognizes 3 buttons of 14. So I'm looking to invest in a new one that neverwinter will recognize properly.

I actually use the same mouse. Is it the one with the five buttons on top of the mouse? I love mine...best MMO mouse ever created. I have all the buttons working in Neverwinter, though.

Did you go into the mouse set up and remap the keys to the action buttons? I have mine set up so the buttons on the mouse are mapped to the number keys (called "action buttons" in the mouse menu) and then I can map those keys to Neverwinter via the control configuration.

Neverwinter (like most programs) doesn't recognize the buttons, but if the alias of the button is a keyboard key, the programs will recognize those.

Let me know if that makes sense.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    The thing I don't like about the Naga is that all the buttons are operated by your thumb. I fell in love with the Steel Series WoW mouse because I have 5 buttons for the thumb, and five others on top (excluding RMB and LMB) that I can operate with my two fingers, and a side button (rarely used though) that I can hit with my pinkie.

For an MMO I can't understand why more mice developers don't include the extra buttons on top of the mouse...they're awesome.

Plus, I've had this mouse for years with no problems at all...except for my sweaty palms slowly eating away all the paint on it :)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    neilburtonneilburton Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    I have the Steelseries WoW mouse (the original one with 14 buttons) and I have all of the buttons working fine in the game. I have friends with other MMO mice including the Naga and I still prefer my current mouse. I find that having so many buttons at the thumb position akward to use, but to each his/her own I suppose!

On a side note, the Steelseries mice are really easy to take apart for repairs, cleaning and custom paint jobs :smiley:
    IT Guru & avid gamer since 1981
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I meant in like PVP where using a mouse like that may appear like botting due to the speed involved in commands. Somebody could report you, and you will get banned. But, the mouse sounds like a great thing considering I am wearing out my keyboard.lol

I think in PVP you'll find most top players are using programmed mice. May be simple commands like hard/soft character locks (if your ever wondering why you can't seem to dodge anything). Or more complex like programmed rotations.

Not sure I would call that botting (not sure how you would even prove it without a confession).