test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The lag is getting pathetic.

stoggaferadomstoggaferadom Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
I have 100+ (ONE HUNDRED) MPBS download speed as well as between 10-20 MPBS Upload speed.

I have no problems with ANY OTHER GAME except NeverWinter.

It NW I get:

- Lag spikes. My char finds himself here, there, then back at here, back and forth.

- Server not responding

- Constant disconnects from PVP.

Come on now devs. You can get away with being bad at coding but fix this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. It's clearly not my internet or provider.
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• Options
    noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    I was wondering if I were the only one bugged by this. (pun intended) The lag is the worst it's been since I've played the game. One thing. The Steam console keeps popping up on me when it lags. Covers a better half of the entire screen. Shift and tab restores vision, but because of the lag it VERY difficult to get rid of that god forsaken console. Don't stand a chance in epic dungeons. Have given up on them entirely. Any time there is any action it's freeze-frame time. Can't see a blasted thing. Game is very nearly unplayable. Certainly not fun.
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    I have put in numerous tickets based on this... issue.

I have not been able to run any eDD since last Tuesday's patch. I think it would be a good time to either upgrade or get new servers as this one seems to be a bit overloaded.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    sliderhardcoresliderhardcore Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    1 thing to note is that download/upoad speed has nothing to do with game server ping time.

Are you missed one word in that sentence - right after "that" and before "download" ?
    Cause yes - HIS down/up speed has no effect on game server ping time.
    But servers down/up speed, requests per millisecond and load respectively has everything to do with game server ping time. More and more data to process and transfer per millisecond = more and bigger ping for all clients who wait for that data to be processed and transferred. On top of that all new requests that continue to flow makes matters even worse until some packets are dropped (because of timeout and such) and all clients get temporal rubber band to catch up the supposed normal stream - some faster than others depending on the flow of their requests.
  • Options
    stoggaferadomstoggaferadom Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    > @jimmyhar said:
    > It's not a cure for your lag but you can play without steam and without ARC. Just run the .EXE file direct.

I've been playing NeverWinter without ARC or Steam since the very beta. This problem is still here.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As has been posted countless times, your upload/download speed has little to do with network latency with regards to your route to the NW server.

Firstly, "speed test" servers are pretty much for the purpose of verifying that you're getting the speed you paid for. However, look over the fine print from your ISP--I'll wager there's a "speed may vary depending on internet connections, and on occasion may be less than advertised due to circumstances beyond our control" clause or something to that effect. Bottom line--they can't control how traffic behaves outside the infrastructure they control, and your traffic has to travel over a fair amount of such infrastructure.

This is why we request that posters with lag/latency issues perform certain baseline diagnostic tests, such as a traceroute or a nettest, (instructions on how to do these tests can be found here) although I'd recommend a pathping test for a more consistent picture over time about how your route is behaving (you'd perform this test the same way as you would a traceroute test, except substitute "pathping" in the command line). With the myriad causes of lag and latency, you can't say "I have a superfast internet connection and an expensive PC so it can't be MY end, it MUST be the server!!" because, 99 times out of 100, it's not YOUR end OR Cryptic's end, but a point in between.

Also, the argument of "I can play other games just fine!!" doesn't hold water because each game takes a different route to its respective server. An issue occurring on the way to the NW server may not exist with a different game.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    sliderhardcoresliderhardcore Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2015

because, 99 times out of 100, it's not YOUR end OR Cryptic's end, but a point in between.

@lewstelamon01 the problem is not in network latency, but in game latency as everyone can see just by playing the game and can be seen/proven by doing some tests as you said.
    14af05y.jpg
    This is running when in WoD and dragons lag badly even before all the people arrive to them and start attacking (so it is not only some skill usage related). As you can see 126 ping through 17 hops and more than 10 000 km is more than perfect for this kind of game. X.X.X.151 is where connection jumps from EU to USA and X.X.X.41 is obviously PWE entry point. Everything shows that network latency up until their servers is constant no matter what you do and where you are, so all the problems are caused by game itself and server interactions inside their network.
    2num6te.jpg
    This is when i stay quietly in PE or any map starting point.
    See - nothing is different on the test, but so much different in game where we get huge amount of lag and even rubber banding when servers drop packets. I am pretty sure that during lag in dungeons test picture will be exactly the same - more than perfect latency from mine(every player) starting point to finishing point in their network - as you said it "how your route is behaving"
    I know that not many people have connection this good on such a long distance, but anyway the problem is not on the route to there.