test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can foundry be used as player/guild housing?

tsiskwatsiskwa Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Foundry
I enjoy playing mmo's with my 7 year old daughter. I try hard to not have her do the fighting and "violent" aspects of games as we mainly explore together and of course she loves to collect pets/mounts and whatever is fun for her to find in game.

She and I usually have a ton of fun in games where there is housing. However, other games that have proper housing are even lacking in one thing or another. A game like Neverwinter, which I played closed beta and the first month after release, would be ideal if I could use the Foundry to make a nice "safe" area for my daughter to explore in and call her home. She has played Neverwinter with me and loves the game but, with not housing she has not shown interest.

Let me put it this way, she loves WoW (which I loathe) for the mounts/pets and she loves EQ2 for the housing. I am thinking that Neverwinter would be a very good middle ground if Foundry can be used in the way I would like.

From research I've done it looks like the best I can do is build something in Foundry with her in mind but, I would have to make it public for all to enjoy. Which I have no problems with as I am certain that other players have kids that they play with in game as well.

Can I get some feedback on this, please?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sounds like The Foundry is the ideal place for you. You can pretty much set up whatever you want and could custom build it for her needs. You don't have to have people play it as to get that it takes work anyway.

You could also start teaching your daughter how to build her own things, like a secret cave under a waterfall or maybe a little cottage.

Sadly, unless it has changed you can't both play and build. You would have to make it first, or just supervise. Two players can't enter the foundry, only the quests once they are done.

Edit: And that's a really good idea by the way, my son is nearly six and is starting to play games pretty well. I think some educational quests could be nice. You can create characters, whatever you want really.
  • tsiskwatsiskwa Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks, for the reply. So, the foundry quests are single player only? hrmmm

Yeah, I was hoping that I could build something and then we can both go in at same time on our separate accounts.
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tsiskwa wrote: »
    Thanks, for the reply. So, the foundry quests are single player only? hrmmm

Yeah, I was hoping that I could build something and then we can both go in at same time on our separate accounts.

No, once the quest is finished and published you can both play, I think up to four players.

It's just while you are in the foundry building that it is only solo. Also, I've not been on in a while so it may have changed bur I doubt it.
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You can both go in if teamed, once it is published. But during edit, only the creator can enter.

You can do what you are thinking of doing.. lots of people already do. =)

(Edit- It's up to five players... however many is in the party can go in.)
    edited November 2014
    antonkyle wrote: »
    No, once the quest is finished and published you can both play, I think up to four players.

It's just while you are in the foundry building that it is only solo. Also, I've not been on in a while so it may have changed bur I doubt it.

Woot! Sounds good and what I was hoping for. I'm trying HARD to get her away from WoW. There are no flying mounts in Neverwinter but, if I can sell her on having her own little place she can call her own in game she might be happy.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You can absolutely do that - the only real limitation is that only 5 people (in a pre-formed group) can go in at one time.
    If you search the foundry catalog you may already find some suitable foundries that people have created for guilds and housing.
    edited November 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    You can absolutely do that - the only real limitation is that only 5 people (in a pre-formed group) can go in at one time.
    If you search the foundry catalog you may already find some suitable foundries that people have created for guilds and housing.

Thanks! That's a great idea too. If someone already has what I'm looking for then that would be ideal. I'm updating the game now and may take awhile on my slow internet.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tsiskwa wrote: »
    Thanks! That's a great idea too. If someone already has what I'm looking for then that would be ideal. I'm updating the game now and may take awhile on my slow internet.

Here's a couple that I've played that might be suitable...

Kolde Acres
    The Deep Scar
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the foundry is ideal for this, she would probably enjoy it a lot, since you can ask her what does she want in her house and add it. :)
    if you want a beach house styled quest you can also look for Cupid beach festival. :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    As someone who roleplays in the game quite frequently, I have found the foundry can definitely be used quite easily create houses. You just have to have an objective to do something that is located off of the available area so it can't be completed. I usually use reach point but it doesn't really matter what type you use.

"The Temple of the Planes" in the for review tab for example is the rather large house I built for my main character Vlathis. ((Who is ironically an eight year old girl in character.))

And just to clarify completely, the foundry allows up to a group of five people in the instance.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Foundry is great for player housing, just every time people ask for player housing in gen discussion and someone mentions that player housing is free in the Foundry people shout that down and talk about how they want to pay for housing.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.