test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm looking for Underwater Adventures!

gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
edited October 2014 in The Foundry
The idea has always been exciting to me ever since farming Kedge Keep in Everquest! I'm looking for some nostalgia!
kedge-gloomwater.jpg

I'd like to play any quest with a -large- underwater portion. I'm not talking about simply falling through a short part, but instead something with a bit of 'depth' to it (pardon the pun).

Please post your @handles or short codes! Thanks guys!
@Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
Post edited by gornonthecob on

Comments

• zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If I ever do part 4 of my Fenwick Cycle, it happens almost entirely underwater. You can check out my Fenwick Cycle thread if you're curious about some of my early work on the idea.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You'd better get busy! It won't take me long to play through it, and I don't like cliffhangers! :)
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    edited September 2014
    And my first mission keeps getting unpublished, and when republished doesn't show up for long periods on search.

Also, author search still doesn't work.

This is why I find it really hard to stay motivated.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    How does this work? There is no swimming animation, is there? And water is just planes, instead of fields. If someone could post some screenshots of their (even WIP) underwater foundries? I can't really conceptualize this with our current set of tools.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    I know it's been done in several quests, but I don't know the names or authors.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    How does this work? There is no swimming animation, is there? And water is just planes, instead of fields. If someone could post some screenshots of their (even WIP) underwater foundries? I can't really conceptualize this with our current set of tools.
    I have a small underwater rescue in my quest, "A Mere Expedition!" (NW-DIAAPG3S4). I explain how I accomplished the underwater part in the quest database post here.

HmAeM8js.jpg K1cBBI7s.jpg

In several of the maps which have water planes baked in, there is an even better looking water effect if you teleport or start the player below the terrain. The Coastal maps are great for this! The following image is a 5 minute mock up 160 feet below the water on the Extra Large coastal map. There are no effects added, just decorative details. The water effect is way more convincing when seen in motion.

w65I9iBs.jpg
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
    edited September 2014
    That looks perfect!
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've played the one from the first screen shot. that portion of that quest was definitly the coolest.
    edited September 2014
    I hadn't considered building UNDER the ground of Extra Large Coast. Duh.

If I ever go back to working on that mission, I will almost certainly rebuild it like that.

edited September 2014
    zahinder wrote: »
    I hadn't considered building UNDER the ground of Extra Large Coast. Duh.

If I ever go back to working on that mission, I will almost certainly rebuild it like that.

I used the cave platforms and earth decals in that mock-up, but those would eat up detail budget extremely fast. I recommend using the Thayan cliff details, they are cheap and look great on those underwater maps.
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, I actually used the Thayan cliffs for a different part of the mission I'm working on, for 'deep water' (where I basically put a very deep, dark boxed-in section. At this point I think I'm going to rebuild the map under extra large coastline. I'm debating whether to mock up a different map to cover up the actual land.

Oddly, STO Foundry, which is inferior in many many ways (you can't pitch/yaw details, no teleporters), just introduced water volumes -- a water plane with a large bit underneath that has proper water effects. These volumes also let you create water that you can simply walk down into.

edited October 2014
    Doing some underwater tests, it looks like enemies path properly if you are building below the ground plane underwater. Yay!

Only one slight issue is that light doesn't drop off as you get deeper. Which is fine -- I plan on having a series of successively deeper maps/zones, and I can handle that by changing ambient light accordingly.

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Doing some underwater tests, it looks like enemies path properly if you are building below the ground plane underwater. Yay!

Only one slight issue is that light doesn't drop off as you get deeper. Which is fine -- I plan on having a series of successively deeper maps/zones, and I can handle that by changing ambient light accordingly.

You cant swim.. and you could in a mmo from 20+ years ago.. I remember accidentally slipping off the traveling boat.. in the middle of the ocean and having to have a gm get my body..

Oh the days from yore, when leveling meant something and you could lose them to boot =P.
    edited October 2014
    Well, some games have great swimming. GW2 has some amazing underwater zones.

And I was around for the 20 year old games. Losing levels was HORRIBLE. Oy.

'Oops, I went afk for a sec, a giant stepped on me, and now I need to redo my entire spellbook NF&*($%&(TGN'

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sadly.. those days are gone, replaced with end game grind and rng apparently, even the mmo dearest to my heart went south pretty quick. Lotro, went from doing these weekly raids, to a 6 month filler daily grind to replace everything the guilds spent months in doing. understandably, when its replaced with the newest dd/raid content, but they decided to just release the grind for 6 months and charge us money for doing it.. I quit the game along with most of my guild members the next day. Unfortunately, it seems to be a growing trend.

Regardless, you think they could make some swimming code in for us dont ya?

My one beef with neverwinter, even though some of its gorgeous, they dont go out of the way in immersion experience, exact opposite in fact , for some reason, they dont even want us to jump on top of buildings, nor is there any natural day/night/dawn/evening experiences. They do have some weather, but they really could do more.
    edited October 2014
    Any thoughts on how to make the map... relevant?

Working below the ground plane means pretty much everything you place is going to be hidden by the ground map. And while I COULD say 'don't look at the map,' it seems like an ugly 'fix.'

I'm unlikely to have the budget to recreate, say, the stuff below ground with stuff above ground, so that's out.

I suppose I could place some water planes really high up, but that also seems highly inelegant.

• brave2005brave2005 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'd just add a water plane above the ground level. You're underwater afterall... is your character supposed to have an underwater chart on hand? :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Deep Scar: A unique event farming / exploration quest line that evolves into an world of its own.
    Want to be an NPC guest of the Deep Scar campaign? Click here!
    edited October 2014
    Well, I've gravitated back to using water planes rather than going under ground plane.
    I lose the blur and distortion effect, but 'blue fog' handles the general effect well enough. I wish the blue fog had a somewhat more vivid blue, it looks a little white-ish, but whatever.

The other advantages are: more control over lighting (underwater effect seems to override all lighting effects, which is annoying), and the map actually looks decent.

edited October 2014

edited October 2014
    The other advantages are: more control over lighting (underwater effect seems to override all lighting effects, which is annoying), and the map actually looks decent.
    I hadn't performed enough testing to notice this yet, this is great to know.

Those maps are looking good! Have you used the Magical Distortion Wall fx in your underwater areas, it adds a wavy blur distortion.
    edited October 2014
    The problem is the distortion area is WAY too small. The underwater area I have is a huge rolling space underwater.

Plus, you know... in a way the distortion doesn't make sense. Water is only distorted when you're looking down into it, really. Being deep underwater and wandering around, arguably there shouldn't be distorted...

Yes, sour grapes. ;)

• waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Looks really good!

was just thinking... isn't there a heat haze/shimmer effect some assets throw off? I'd have to check. If so, place some of those below ground maybe?
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
    edited October 2014
    Nothing easily map-wide. I don't mind not having the waves, because arguably underwater you don't SEE that.

But I could have sworn there used to be some Bloom assets that were in Backdrop or something, can't seem to find it.