test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Atlas cogentco hop

jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
Hi can someone confirm that the recent dragon server problems with lag stem from the cogentco hop in the path..? Before I do something complicated and possibly fatal with my dns settings..?
No idea what my toon is now.
Post edited by jonkoca on

Comments

• Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    They are from that hop. That company is pretty much known for being horrible towards MMO connections and gaming in general.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Okay, I'm gonna try swapping to google public dns, will that route me around cogentco, or is that hop inescapable..?
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    There is no way to determine how your route is done. Keep in mind, the servers are in the US, and that means that you are victim to the localized monopoly on 100% of the networking in a given area.
    On top of it, I just did a Traceroute with map tracking towards the patchserver (the page I used traces from Frankfurt/Main in my home country of Germany), and after the 4th hop, it is crammed into Cogent lines. And those cross the Atlantic, go to Washington DC, and from there over a not specified line (no hostname, only an IP) to the patchserver.
    So I pretty much thing you will be doomed anyway.

Since I assume you are in the EU, like me, you most likely route via Frankfurt or Paris, and that is where Cogent has their transatlantic lines in mainland Europe, 2 more hit at Liverpool/Southport, 3 at London. so you have risk of 7 lines where you end with that carrier.

http://www.cogentco.com/files/images/network/network_map/networkmap_global_large.png
    This map should show you how doomed you are, no matter where in the EU you are.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah....probably do some good to look more into the company. Unfortunately they seem to be just about everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere...

BTW: That map looks actually helpful...in at least determining the likelihood that your traffic will have to deal with Cogent Communications...you know, kind of like Rome back in the way way way olden days..
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thnx for the info, ah well, at least I don't have to take dive into my pcs inner workings. And I guess not playing nwo so much will save on my credit card.

Hell, I may even go outside or something. We do still have the sun right..?
  • Options
    brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited June 2014
    This is me. The big hop is from London to Boston. A hop after that can have issues for me (the long horizontal black line).

bp9FuSo.png
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I seem to be getting around 100 ms on cogentco , I'm from the UK , I checked last night , this morning and this evening and it seems to be pretty stable .

KyidznL.jpg
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif