test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need help with Multiple choice NPC dialogue

jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
edited June 2014 in The Foundry
I am having a bit of trouble to try and work this out.

First thing I'll explain on what i want happen

At the start of the dungeon there is an option to speak to an NPC, talking to him is entirely optional and not at all related to the quest or story board and you can walk pass him and continue through the dungeon

When speaking to the NPC he will give you a multiple choice question and if you select the correct dialogue, the door on the other side of the wall is able to be open.. at the start it will not open until selecting the correct Dialogue. but here is the problem.. if you select the wrong dialogue (he will give you 4 dialogue options) He will either disappear or you will unable to talk to him again..so you only get one shot at it, if you get it wrong the door will not open and.

The problem i am having is, he will not disappear after i selected one prompt, it seems i have to select each dialogue prompt before he disappears.

So adding multiple prompts to the disappear when prompt reach does not work as i intended
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jedite2012 on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why does he need to disappear? There are a couple ways to do this...

It sounds like you have the door opening (or not) the way you want, so the difficulty you're having is in making it so the player gets one shot with no repeats, right? I do this in my second quest a lot (like 7 times with 7 NPCs). Set the NPC to disappear on dialog reached.

The way I did it was to create one extra dialog at the end of each dialog branch - but it is blank (I think it just has a period (.) in it) - that blank dialog is the last dialog in each branch and that is the dialog the NPC is set to disappear on. What happens is that when the player click the prompt that lead to that dialog it appears for a split second (which is why it's blank so no words can be seen, making the player feel like they are bugged) - and the NPC poofs away and the dialog box closes automatically.

Note - there is only ONE blank dialog and all branches point to that dialog at the end.

I am explaining from memory right now - so try this. If it does;t work let me know and I'll go in tonight and actually look at how I have it set-up.
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    [highlight]
              [QUESTION]
     _____________|____________________
    [#answer_0] [#answer_1]  [#answer_n]
         |          |            |
      [WRONG]    [RIGHT]    (go to WRONG)
         |          |
     [#ok bye]  [#ok bye]
         |          |
       [BYE]   (go to BYE)

[/highlight]
    CAP = NPC entry, # = PC reply
    [BYE] = short NPCs bye, dialogue will disappear with the NPC (if it is NPC; will not disappear when dlg is set for another object)

door enable when dlg reached
    NPC disappear when dlg reached [BYE]

Thats the simplest version. Dont forget to disable the right answer (#answer_1 in this case) when WRONG was already hit (to prevent bypassing only-one-try-answering with pressing done in the dialogue window).
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.