test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Def or lifesteal..?

jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Library
Currently I have 370 defence stacked in enchants, thinking of swapping out for darks and 370 lifesteal..?

Good idea, bad idea..? It'll take my def down to about 900.
No idea what my toon is now.
Post edited by jonkoca on

Comments

• eulyteneulyten Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I prefer defence in enchants.
    CW need at least 1000 defense to protect themselves.
    Besides, I can't do high DPS quickly.
    If you can attack mobs with huge damage/high dps, choose lifesteal. It will make your HP fast in regaining.
    You can use Barkshield in your armor enchant to increase the defence (lvl 60).
    Or Lifedrinker is useful too for weapon enchant to steal life from mobs (lvl 60).
  • fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    How high will your life stealing be?

I did not find life stealing very useful until it reached 7%. At 7% did it become noticeable and started taking some pressure of the clerics when in a party. It also allowed me to drop my healer companion in exchange for a damage dealer when doing my dailies.
    Stay frosty.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have a R8 Dark, a R7 Brutal (HP and Def) and a R7 Savage (HP and LS). I have over 1K defense, plus HV effect. With about 11-1200 LS, a good shard in a big crowd can fill my HP.
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Depends!

1. If you run in the front defense. Mob jump you at first you and defense protect you from their burst damage.

2. If you run in the back lifesteal is enough.
    If you have lifesteal exclusively you can die if you miss targets with shard or your Oppressive Force damage was lamely nullified by others singu...

Maybe worth getting some lifesteal in the 1st case though.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I found defense to be mostly useless. Incoming damage being reduced by 30% instead of 25% is not going to be a noticeable difference. The stuff that killed you before will still kill you.

HP is a better use of your enchantments slots. It gives better bang for your buck than defense. I have my defense enchantments split between HP and lifesteal. I like lifesteal because I mainly PvE and do high damage. Hitting any mob with shard of avalanche, sudden storm, or oppressive force can take my health from near death to full. Combined with my high health (~28k) lifesteal makes me pretty tough to kill. Well, for a CW anyway. No matter what we do we're still going to be squishy compared to every other class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, I put together accessories with all defence slots, max hp and regen etc. Enchant with radiant 6s. Gives about 500+ defence & regen, and 4000hp. My "survival suit" sacrificing dps, for those tricky bosses - ToS. Result, erm, still got 2 shotted by a blademaster.

Back to nuclear dps, hope, and lifesteal.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Being 2-shot by blademasters sounds pretty good, really. Being 1-shot by nigh-unavoidable gapclosers is the only real danger in that fight (and indeed in more or less any dungeon: everything else only 1-shots you if you stand in red), and there's nothing you can do about that except bring a soulforged, so being able to take 1 hit and still walk puts you substantially ahead of the game.
    edited May 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    Being 2-shot by blademasters sounds pretty good, really. Being 1-shot by nigh-unavoidable gapclosers is the only real danger in that fight (and indeed in more or less any dungeon: everything else only 1-shots you if you stand in red), and there's nothing you can do about that except bring a soulforged, so being able to take 1 hit and still walk puts you substantially ahead of the game.

They were 2 shotting me before I upped my defence, so no real win involved. :(

Next burning question for the day:

Thinking of losing 200pts of arpen in exchange for 185 lifesteal, 80 tenacity, and 120 power. I've read in an old thread (nov 2013) that arpen doesn't effect shard, coi, as, ik, or of. In my rotation only cs and ts would benefit from that 200arpen, so I'm kinda pff... screw arpen.

The difference would probably be about 2% damage on cs and ts, and in return maybe a few points extra damage from pow, and an increased lifespan in battle.

Whaddya think..?
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Trading 200 stats for 305 stats (one of which has no softcap) plus some tenacity?

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Unless you already have oodles of lifesteal, it's always good to have more, and as you noted: arpen is of limited use anyway,
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Gawd.. those blademasters,

Nightmares on my CW.. its funny before I rolled one , I just did this on my DC, never even thought about them honestly, or much of any of the mobs, I just buffed, debuffed, healed and damaged stuff. Stood around mostly...

Sometimes I do love my DC.
    edited May 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    Trading 200 stats for 305 stats (one of which has no softcap) plus some tenacity?

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Unless you already have oodles of lifesteal, it's always good to have more, and as you noted: arpen is of limited use anyway,

Aye, however, it'll take my arpen down to near non existant... I've only got about 8% defence ignored as it is, though I do have plague fire, which prolly maks up the difference, arpen wise.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Gawd.. those blademasters,

Nightmares on my CW.. its funny before I rolled one , I just did this on my DC, never even thought about them honestly, or much of any of the mobs, I just buffed, debuffed, healed and damaged stuff. Stood around mostly...

Sometimes I do love my DC.

Yep, the curse of the CW is that the better you get at dealing damage the more unpleasant trying to stay alive can be. I hate that every time I throw out a Daily it's like a giant neon arrow points at me from the sky with the words "COME BEAT THE TAR OUT OF THIS ONE" on top of it. I know if Oppressive Force doesn't kill the blademasters I better get the shift key ready for a workout and be ready to use potions and my crystal raven artifact.

I just started playing a GWF as a second character and am just stunned by how easy it is to stay alive. Unstoppable, for the win! It's a nice change of pace to getting clubbed like a baby seal on my CW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]