test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Room Type: Room Builders!

crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
Hello Foundry Authors!

Right now on NeverwinterPreview is a new type of room category called "RoomBuilder". These are empty rooms that, when linked together with door slots, can be used to create larger room constructs of many shapes. When a door slot is added between two RoomBuilder rooms, instead of creating a doorway, it just removes the entire wall. Using RoomBuilders like this will result in an open, contiguous room:

9kbiN6O.jpg

99b83gZ.jpg

Right now there are 2 different groups of rooms that work like this. The dungeon kit now has several rooms with the "Dungeon Builder" prefix, which is shown in the images above. Then there is the Room Builder kit itself which can be seen with the "Room Builder" filter in the room library. This is a set of rooms with invisible walls that can be used to make entirely new interiors by piecing different assets together. These ones are very experimental, as you can make a broken looking environment if you don't cover the walls with solid geometry.

More room builder facts:

- Room Builder/Dungeon Builder rooms do not have detail sets, and only have a "Work Lights" lighting set.
- Rooms with taller ceilings have golden path node grids placed vertically every 20 feet. (Important to know if you want to attempt a multi-level dungeon)
- The invisible rooms still have an occlusion hull. and you will see objects outside of the room popping in and out of existence.
- I also added an empty cavern, search for "Cave Builder"
- In the Details tab in the Asset Library, there is now a "Room Builder" filter in the Kit list. This will reveal the entire library of raw assets we use to create interiors with the Dungeon kit. These pieces snap together on a 20ft grid and do not have backfaces, so use them carefully.
- If all this is successful, I can expand the Room Builder concept to more of our interior kits.

Please comment on this thread with any feedback or bugs you find. I'm hoping these new rooms will expand your abilities to make amazing content!
Post edited by crypticmapolis on

Comments

• izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is cool, but I really want to re-emphasize that any changes to foundry building are moot when the New List doesn't show any new quests. The new list is identical to the 'best list' which has quests from May and also mostly duplicates! Since Aug 23 new foundry quests have not been discoverable by players in an obvious way.

There really is no point to make a foundry quest when there is no audience for them :(
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Interesting! Also quite lovely the Room Builder assets can be used on Outdoor maps. (For us total nutters who like to build from nothing.) Can we expect some larger Building assets?

Completely off topic, but missing a quest on the P shard. *head tilt* (Could be cause it's not currently published?)
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    This is cool, but I really want to re-emphasize that any changes to foundry building are moot when the New List doesn't show any new quests. The new list is identical to the 'best list' which has quests from May and also mostly duplicates! Since Aug 23 new foundry quests have not been discoverable by players in an obvious way.

There really is no point to make a foundry quest when there is no audience for them :(

That is probably just because of the republishing in Fury of the Feywild, they should fall of on thier own soon. If there is actually a bug, hopefully it gets fixed soon.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    Also quite lovely the Room Builder assets can be used on Outdoor maps.

Woah! Um, Crypticmapolis didn't say this in anything in this thread that I could see. Where did you get the information that the Room Builder assets can be used on Exterior maps???
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Woah! Um, Crypticmapolis didn't say this in anything in this thread that I could see. Where did you get the information that the Room Builder assets can be used on Exterior maps???

I went into the Foundry XD
    First tried Indoor, then Outdoor :)
    Here's hoping there will be lots of walls... BIG WALLS.
    *puts his inner nerd back into the box*
  • kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yay!!!! New toys!
    edited November 2013
    - In the Details tab in the Asset Library, there is now a "Room Builder" filter in the Kit list. This will reveal the entire library of raw assets we use to create interiors with the Dungeon kit. These pieces snap together on a 20ft grid and do not have backfaces, so use them carefully.
    - If all this is successful, I can expand the Room Builder concept to more of our interior kits.

:cool: :cool: OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! :cool: :cool:

I've been checking it out on NeverwinterPreview and this is AWESOME!!

Please, please, please, pleeeeease do Human Interiors!
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hmmm... so enticing.
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All those doors are going to eat my asset budget, lol. Seriously tho, looks good.
    edited November 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    All those doors are going to eat my asset budget, lol. Seriously tho, looks good.

Those aren't actual "doors" they are the "door slot" where you tell the lego room builder you "want" a possible door. On most rooms it makes an opening unless you specifically select a door type. On these rooms it apparently opens the entire wall:
    When a door slot is added between two RoomBuilder rooms, instead of creating a doorway, it just removes the entire wall.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Wow that looks awesome.

I can't wait to try this out!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    One word.... GLORIOUS!

Okay, three words... THANK YOU!

*the old mage enthusiastically bows in gratitude*
  • derpdedoderpdedo Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thank you thank you thank you :)

What will the min and max heights for the rooms? I believe the current for outside of a room is -350 to +350? I don’t have my notes on me at the moment, so I may be off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    derpdedo wrote: »
    Thank you thank you thank you :)

What will the min and max heights for the rooms? I believe the current for outside of a room is -350 to +350? I don’t have my notes on me at the moment, so I may be off.

The dungeon room builders come in 20, 40, and 80 foot tall rooms. The invisible wall RoomBuilder rooms all have a 1,000 foot high ceiling.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is really Awesome, thanks maplois and team, was able to play around with this a bit, it allows you to create simulated outdoor/indoor maps together in a large 3d space. Be warned however I noticed that placing any objects outside of the roombuilder room causes clipping as you look around the space.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    This is really Awesome, thanks maplois and team, was able to play around with this a bit, it allows you to create simulated outdoor/indoor maps together in a large 3d space. Be warned however I noticed that placing any objects outside of the roombuilder room causes clipping as you look around the space.

Yep the clipping is expected behavior, as the occlusion is still active on those rooms. I'm still debating weather to just make those rooms have black walls instead of invisible. One benefit to having the invisible walls is that you can create open courtyards by just using an outdoor sky and leaving the ceilings uncovered.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Yep the clipping is expected behavior, as the occlusion is still active on those rooms. I'm still debating weather to just make those rooms have black walls instead of invisible. One benefit to having the invisible walls is that you can create open courtyards by just using an outdoor sky and leaving the ceilings uncovered.

Would it be possible to do both and allow us to select which we wanted?

I would expect that would require redundant settings and thus more resources but the invisibility option seems too good to me to throw it away for a feature you may only wish to use some of the time.
    edited November 2013
    Would it be possible to do both and allow us to select which we wanted?

I would expect that would require redundant settings and thus more resources but the invisibility option seems too good to me to throw it away for a feature you may only wish to use some of the time.

Or perhaps a few blackout asset details -- full black walls with no fade -- then we could have both options?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013

. . . . . How about having both? I don't want to loose the invisible walls, as these are essential! Indeed.
    eldarth wrote: »
    Or perhaps a few blackout asset details -- full black walls with no fade -- then we could have both options?
    . . . . . We already have these but they are in the form of blocks. An option would be to make new assets in the shape of various sized walls.
    edited November 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . We already have these but they are in the form of blocks. An option would be to make new assets in the shape of various sized walls.

We have 100% full-blackout blocks? NOT depthfade blocks?
    But, I think we're saying the same thing -- let's not lose the invisibility benefits if we can perhaps add a simply full black new asset walls.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Na, keep the invisible walls Mapolis, perhaps just add a tool tip that says "NOTE: Assets placed outside of this room will cause clipping."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . I played around with this room builder a bit on test yesterday in anticipation. I really liked what I saw and what I can do with it. Thank you so much, I am so looking forward to re-doing my work on Act V of my Campaign to use the Room Builder! This is just what I need to make my indoor tower library with lots of secret places to jump and discover, or fall and die. Indeed!