test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Refinement System

graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
We have spent a lot of effort into making the experience of slotting, improving and unslotting Enchantments and Runestones much more enjoyable, totally reworking the entire system.

Every enchantment requires an amount of Refinement Points (RP) to be able to Upgrade it to the next rank. You gain RP by feeding the enchantment other enchantments, runestones and the new refining stones in the Item Refinement window. When you have accumulated enough RP to upgrade the enchantment you must go through the upgrade step. This step consumes certain catalyst items and has a chance of failure. Failing will consume the catalyst items as normal but will not affect the enchantment. If you have more catalyst items you can try again immediately. Succeed and you will be charged Astral Diamonds to complete the upgrade. Note that this is the only time in which you are charged Astral Diamonds for enchantments and runestones as the cost to unslot has been changed to gold.

That's basically it. There are a few refinements to the base system like being able to upgrade an enchantment while it’s slotted and you get bonus RP for consuming the same type of item. Wards are still available. Refining stones are a new treasure item type. They hold a lot of RP for your refining pleasure.

Just give the system a try and post any feedback and questions in this thread. I'll be reading all of your posts.

EDIT: Sorry about the typo in the title.
Post edited by graalx3 on

Comments

• drannicdrannic Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 75
    edited October 2013
    Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Categories then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
    (Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Type: Bug, Feedback
    (Pick one or the other)

Category: Refinement Window, Enchantments, Slotting, General
    (Please write a category that best describes your feedback)

Example Posts:
    Bug: Refinement Window: Enchantment
    I am unable to refine my companion's Runestones without unslotting the runestone first.

It would be nice to drag and drop enchantments into open enchant slots, but If already filled it would bring up the Item Refinement window instead!

The new Artifact items are also upgraded in rank and quality with this Item Refinement system, if you have feedback or find any bugs not related to the refinement changes, please make the posts in the thread below.

Artifact System: (Thread)

We look forward to hearing back from you!
    - Drannic
    Developer QA Tester
    Cryptic Studios
  • truelokastertruelokaster Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Questions:

1. Is this already available on the preview shard?
    2. How is making us spend AD to upgrade enchants an improvement?
    3. Assuming this will also affect weapon and armor enhancements, Will the current ratio of 85 coalescents, 256 shards to create a perfect become even more absurd?
    4. How many AD are we talking about?
  • terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    Bug: UI: Inventory: Sort incorrectly stacks gems with RP
    New known issue: If a player presses Sort while an Enchantment or Runestone with Refinement Points is in the inventory, it will stack with any others, thereby losing all its RP.

Temporary Workaround: When working with Enchantments and Runestones, avoid pressing the Sort button for now. The risk can be mitigated by keeping items with RP in separate bags from other versions of the same items.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Tried it. Hate it. It just make enchantments even more annoying to get, since you now need bank/bag space for every enchant with differing RP values and you need extra items as well as your wards. Hate it soo much. Please let this not make it to live.

Meanwhile...I'll be making as many high level enchants as I can on live so I can gear out in a R8s(with spares for my ranger) before Shadowmantle hits.

Unlike the above, I like this change. However, I feel that 2.5g to unslot a perfect enchant is ludicrously cheap.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Refinement Window: Fill All Refine Slots.
    If you use the fill all refining slots to refine multiple times, once you get down to less than 5 enchantments, it will still show all slots being filled and won't be able to refine.

Screenshot here - As you can see, it is trying to refine using 5 eldritch enchantments, but I only have 2 left so it fails.

I think having new items (which come from who knows where), AD, and wards (unless you want a chance of failure) is too much to ask from the refining system. It is not making the system any easier to use.
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Where do I find catalysts? I still have preservation/coal wards in my inventory, but don't see catalysts anywhere.

What kind of failure chances are we looking at? Right now upgrading a rank 4 enchant to rank 5 requires points from 3 identical rank 4s and 2 catalysts. Currently there's a 60% chance of successfully fusing rank 4s to 5s. Assuming catalysts are roughly equal to current preservation wards, requiring 2 catalysts means fusion rates are much, much lower compared to the current system. (33% as opposed to 60%) Throwing in a chance of failure on top of that reduces the odds even further.

Requiring various catalysts already takes chances of failure into account. Eliminate the chance of failure. Required materials= successful refinement.
  • kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Edited as I appear to have misunderstood. I am confused at the need for wards if using the catalyst does not consume the item.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can't say I'm all that thrilled with the new refinement system for now. It really feels needlessly complicated compared to the old one.

1: Every single enchantment where you fill the refinement bar needs its own inventory slot, and we already don't have many of these.
    2: Spare RP going over the enchantment limit seems to be lost, there should be at least a warning message that we are about to waste them. It's a "one time mistake never do it again" thing but imagine a new player loosing a bunch of MK8 enchantments that way.
    3: Fusing shards into a lesser enchantments actually costs 20.000 Astral diamonds +the coalescent ward now... which, quite seriously, is pretty expensive. And I have yet to see the cost for fusing lesser and normal enchantments.
    (The last thing the game needs is yet another Astral Diamond sink, especially one of that magnitude, and the costs for blue wards should be enough.)
    3b: Speaking of wards, you still seem to need to use wards when fusing lesser radiant, azure etc. enchantments into bigger ones, and blue wards for the epic variants... +Astral diamonds.
    4: You apparently need something called a Catalyst to fuse gems now. An Item called "Mark of Potency" that comes in white, green blue and purple. No one seems to know where to get it. They don't drop from monsters, it seems, and I checked every store in Protectors enclave and found nothing which, and I hope I'm wrong, seems to imply that it's another Z store Item.

So basically: The new system adds absolutely nothing to improve gem upgrades. They are still chance based, you just (Apparently) loose your Astral Diamonds now, instead of your gems, and you still need to buy wards to combat that. (Yeah I know I get a single green ward once a week from celestial coins, but that won't really cut it)
    Collecting marks of potency makes it also much harder (And possibly more expensive) to combine them and get even basic ones, and the added Astral Diamond cost is just nasty.
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!
  • mickwanmickwan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited October 2013
    how is making the refining system so complicated more enjoyable to anyone?
    the feeding system might be nice, since we have the option to feed unused rune/enchant to get RP, but having an extra catalyst and DAT AD SINK is a big no no
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ulukayx wrote: »
    I can't say I'm all that thrilled with the new refinement system for now. It really feels needlessly complicated compared to the old one.
    3: Fusing shards into a lesser enchantments actually costs 20.000 Astral diamonds +the coalescent ward now... which, quite seriously, is pretty expensive. And I have yet to see the cost for fusing lesser and normal enchantments.

Tested it:
    Lesser->Normal is 50,000AD
    Normal to Greater is 75,000AD
    Greater to Perfect is 100,000AD

Not including the needed coal ward and the fact you still need 4 of each type.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited October 2013

"We have spent a lot of effort into making the experience of slotting, improving and unslotting Enchantments and Runestones much more enjoyable, totally reworking the entire system. "

As the build stands this goal was not accomplished. I like the thinking behind the change, you can use different enchantments/ runestones to upgrade the ones you want. However, in practice you made it more expensive (not good), more confusing, more complicated, uses more items to upgrade (enchantment, ward, catalyst) and finally you also managed to make enchantments take up even more bag space.

Please take a look at refining again. I really hope it doesn't make it live as is.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013

initial thought: what is this catalyst item and where do i get it? it doesn't even say in the tooltip where to get them from.

after reading the explanation in this thread: seems a little more complicated than the original method especially if it's going to be providing the same old upgrades. if i can feed any rank azures to a r7 dark, why couldn't i also get azure attributes on that enchantment? especially if i am also going to need to locate/farm/buy a catalyst item AND pay AD to create certain enchantment upgrades? i think this kind of system, if it's going to be complicated, needs to be worth the complication. initially i thought it was going to make ranking up enchants easier but add the rest of the requirements and imho it's the exact opposite.

on the enchant removal costs... 2.5 gold seems a little low. i was very surprised to see that price although i am assuming that the reason why that was chosen was because of the AD price of upgrading enchants. at that cost, i certainly wouldn't have that nervous uncertain feeling whenever i slot a weapon/armor enchant.

• rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Tried it. Didn't like it. I thought it was supposed to be easier? Then again I never thought right clicking a stack of 4 enchantments and selecting Fuse was very difficult in the first place. Either I am missing something or you guys missed the mark by a mile.

The AD cost seems to be way to high as well. So every time I make, for example, a rank 4 enchantment it will cost me 25,000 AD? That's a bit ridiculous if true. I only messed around with it a few minutes because I found it confusing but that's at least what my initial impression was. Regardless, I did not find the process "more enjoyable" in the least. I'll be sure to make as many high ranks as I can before this goes live and that will be it for me as far as enchantments going forward.

However I do like the change of using gold to unslot an enchantment.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Refining an enchantment that is slotted into an item already shows the wrong amount of refinement needed. It says it needs 10 instead of whatever actual amount it needs.

After crunching the numbers it appears to require 3 enchantments of the same type and level at rank 1-3 to upgrade (1 that gets ranked up, 2 to get the refinement points required), 4 enchantments of the same type and level at rank 4-6 (1 that gets ranked up, 2 to get the refinement points required), and then 6! enchantments for rank 7-9 (1 that gets ranked up, 1 that is used as a catalyst, and to to get the refinement points required). I much preferred the old way of 4 enchantments across the board.

I know you can use more of other types to rank it up and that you can save on using wards under this new method, but I still don't like this new system.
  • mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited October 2013
    Continuing the tradition of Jade Dynasty, another money sink game in the making......
  • effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    makin' them from rank4 to rank5 without preservation wards it fails everytime, without losing considerate numbers of rank4 i need to use preservation wards.. but is outragous to lose 10 pres just to make 1 r5 dark ! fix it please.. with silvery i don't have any problem.. goes to r6 without preservation ..
    edited October 2013
    Question: Consistency: Praying

1. Will praying each day give you catalysts instead?
    2. Will current coalescent be of a lesser use they are now?

Hoping not to regret of recently buying the Hero of the North pack.
    edited October 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    Tried it. Didn't like it. I thought it was supposed to be easier? Then again I never thought right clicking a stack of 4 enchantments and selecting Fuse was very difficult in the first place. Either I am missing something or you guys missed the mark by a mile.

However I do like the change of using gold to unslot an enchantment.

100% agree

I really want to know if this is something the Devs are saying "we are thinking about maybe... maybe changing into this" or if we are facing a situation like "This is what is gonna be like now, we'll do minor tweaks from you feedbacks but it is what it is."
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You made the more costly aspect on the game even more costlier. Wasn't that enough for you guys?

What's wrong with you?

I bet the catalyst items will come from lockboxes or zen store.
  • ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    tang56 wrote: »

Tried it. Hate it. It just make enchantments even more annoying to get, since you now need bank/bag space for every enchant with differing RP values and you need extra items as well as your wards. Hate it soo much. Please let this not make it to live.

Meanwhile...I'll be making as many high level enchants as I can on live so I can gear out in a R8s(with spares for my ranger) before Shadowmantle hits.

Unlike the above, I like this change. However, I feel that 2.5g to unslot a perfect enchant is ludicrously cheap.

Have to agree 100 percent with this comment. I can't believe that you even consider this change. It shows incredibly poor judgement. I have disagreed with many previous changes but this has to be the worst i could imagine.
  • ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Refining an enchantment that is slotted into an item already shows the wrong amount of refinement needed. It says it needs 10 instead of whatever actual amount it needs.

After crunching the numbers it appears to require 3 enchantments of the same type and level at rank 1-3 to upgrade (1 that gets ranked up, 2 to get the refinement points required), 4 enchantments of the same type and level at rank 4-6 (1 that gets ranked up, 2 to get the refinement points required), and then 6! enchantments for rank 7-9 (1 that gets ranked up, 1 that is used as a catalyst, and to to get the refinement points required). I much preferred the old way of 4 enchantments across the board.

I know you can use more of other types to rank it up and that you can save on using wards under this new method, but I still don't like this new system.

For me it took 10 rank four azures to have a 60% chance to use 1000 AD to make a rank 5 azure. Still looking for that improvement.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    current system is a lot worse gem fusion is a lot more expansive and complex then before it is not better any way
    the way i would done this would be only cost of ad to upgrade and no fail chance 1>2 2k ad ,2>3 4k ad ,3>4 8k ad, 4>5 16k ad, 5>6 32k ad,7>8 64k ad,8>9 128k ad, 9>10 256k this system would use for normal gems and for special would use
    shards>lesser 32k ad,leser>normal 64k ad,normal>greater 128k ad and greater >perfect 256k ad
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly I wouldn't find the AD cost that bad if the chance of failure was then removed. But as it is now the new system isn't much different than the previous one with the exception that it now also costs you AD to fuse. While at the same time not being any easier or more enjoyable.
  • zippichzippich Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just FYI: I got one green catalyst (Lesser Mark of Potency) from a skill node. Did not see blue and purple one yet.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Why fix what isn't broken? The only issues I have came across with the current enchant system that is on live shard is that you have to use AD to unbind. Would much rather have the choice between AD and Gold for that. The new system seems overly complex. I think you will lose quite a few people when they see it. Many people are going to want to start playing because of the Hunter Ranger class, but I predict nearly as many giving up again once they see this new "refinement" system. I absolutely hate it.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • ameranth342ameranth342 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Enchanting system is stupid, is NOT fun and 10x more complicated than before,

I really can not understand why so much time as been put into developing this new system while there are many, many other parts of the game that ergently need attention and fixing.

There was nothing wrong with the original enchanting system, why waste so much time changing somthing that functioned perfectly well before, i realy dont understand some of the development that is focused on things in the game that work perfectly well and have never had any issues.

If it is working well = leave it alone, if it is broken = fix it
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is quite possibly the worst revenue gathering disguised as an improvement that I've seen from you guys in recent times here. It will now cost ADs, which spike tremendously unless you invest in coalwards. So you hope to increase zen purchasing for wards and conversion into ADs and disguise it as a process improvement? Wow, you guys are dirty con-men and women.

To experiment with this process, I moved all my characters to preview and condensed all my wards and stones with all enchants off of 5 characters to one. I also moved all my ADs to this character and ran the numbers. I had to move a sizable store of my enchantment bank for this. I was not able generate a single Rank 9 off of my enchants using stones and wards, but at my rate I estimated about 2000 Rank 4s would be needed. It also would cost about 650K ADs in addition to those R4s and wards.

I believe I've seen numbers around 9000 R4 enchants in the old system, but that does not lessen the huge cost of ADs in this 'new' method. Really dirty cryptic, really dirty. So it will now be down to the haves and have nots, widening the valley for new players to compete against those 'lucky' players who got it all before the changes. I call this a fail.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    Quick clarification: Failing to upgrade an Enchantment or Runestone does not consume the AD value of that upgrade. Catalysts are still consumed. We'll look into the tooltip to make sure that is clearer.

Thank you to everyone providing constructive feedback!

Additional clarification: Refinement Points gained past 100% will carry over to the next Upgrade level. We are working on UI improvements to make that clearer.
  • smithandwebsmithandweb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Feedback: I'm going to make as many high ranks as I can and then make a killing when this awful/expensive system goes live. Horrible excuse for a cash grab.
This discussion has been closed.