test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rank the best to the worst companion

jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have one of the standard companion on my rogue but i would like a change and i don't know which is the best and which is the crappiest so can anyone rank the best to worst of the companions?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jedite2012 on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If we're talking about the basic 2G companions, I'd rank them like this:

1. Cleric*
    2. Man at Arms*
    3. Wizard
    4. Dog / Sellsword

If playing a cleric, the Man at Arms would be #1 and the cleric might be moved all the way down to the bottom.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • k4pnkrunchk4pnkrunch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Here's my opinion, from highest to lowest. (I'm not in game so I don't have them all)

Ioun Stone of Allure.
    Lillend
    The green Ioun Stone
    Galeb (The golem guy from zen store)
    Fire Archon
    Phoera
    Acolyte of Kalemvar
    Blue Skeleton Dog
    Regular healer companion.

I definitely don't have them all here, but hopefully it gives you a basic idea. Augmentation companions are the best, Lilend is the best non-augment companion, and the rest can be argued.
    Harlequinn - Lvl 60 Trickster Rogue
    [EX]Officer - Order of the Raven
  • jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ah ty guys and i was talking about all companions not just the 2g ones

also jagged blade any good?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have just about all of them except (Galeb which my friend that I play with a lot has so I feel I can still comment on him as well)

Ioun Stone of Allure
    Cat

Everything else is pretty much garbage and they really, really need to buff them if they expect anyone to use them at all.

Out of the these Garbage pets though the best are the Golem and Dire Wolf
    Lillend would be ok if she wasn't so badly programmed that she runs and stands beside everything and dies in seconds (even at level 30 and well equipped). She doesn't heal to badly if she's alive but she really should be able to heal the rest of the party if you are full instead of spamming heals on you when your full which is god awful annoying as is the harp.
    All the rest are so pathetic at level 60 epic T1 and T2 level's it's really not even worth talking about them they will spend more time dead then alive and do so little to "contribute" that you won't care anyways.

For gods sake BUFF the other companions or just sell the blue stone and Cat and just delete the rest!

my 2 cents from a guy with 11 character, 100's (if not 1000+) hours and nearly every companion in the game.
  • vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Depends indeed which class you play.

I prefer the Cat above the Stones with my DC, but I used the Cat only when I was lvl 60. For solo'ing during your leveling process you can better use a other companion, except if you're teaming with someone (or want to drop a lot of gold in potions).

But of the free Companions the Cleric and Man-At-Arms are probally the best.
    signature-lili.png
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you use stealth a lot, the Ioun Stone is quite good as that companion won't alert them to your presence. The same might also be true of the cat, being a buffing pet as well. These pets are generally the best at high level, due to the reasons mentioned above.

The Dire Wolf may be a good choice as well when leveling, if you don't use stealth much, as it can provide some nice damage mitigation with interrupts and such. You may get a lot of value from the Galeb, as it may help you to attack from behind to get combat advantage.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Three things to keep in mind:

First, the best companions while leveling are not the best ones at level 60.

Second, which companion is best depends on your class.

Third - be careful in which stats you improve on your (leveling) companions - Power/Crit/Deflection seems utterly useless - do not bother with it. Life Steal, recovery and regen work very well, and Defense/Armor penetration work, but do not have a big effect - and note again that this only applies to leveleing companions - not the stone/cat.

At level 60 only the cat and the stone are really worth using - they are about equal, but one may be better than the other for certain classes, or depending on just which stats you are trying to buff.

While leveling, however, the situation is quite different.

I personally used the Galeb Duhr for my DC and the $8 green cleric companion for everything else, but right now I am leveling the blue skeletal dog and it is just plain fun. Quite frankly, I have not found any other companions worth using. I look forward to getting the 360 coin Angel healer companion, but obviously that will take a while.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ioun Stone of Allure
    Cat
    Ioun Stone of Might
    Upstart Cleric
    Cleric
    Dire Wolf
    Lillend

& a long long way behind
    the rest

The Jagged Blade, like the Panther might be ok if I ever got off it's backside & did something, anything, but it still sits there & wonders if the 200 mobs you are fighting are important! :D
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Augments:
    They are all fairly balanced. And after a quality upgrade, very much equal with small pros and cons.
    Atm there is only one epic one (Icosahedron Ioun Stone) - so yea it wins atm.

Striker:
    Dire Wolf (Its triple stagger attack can utterly destroy slow attacking enemies like ogres, which makes him quite useful at low lvl, especially in the orc/ogre area)
    Honey Badger - highest dps striker. Though like all, become rather worthless at high lvl so yea rather costly to speed up the first few levels.

Defender:
    Galeb Duhr
    Man at Arms (I've heard the green ones worst, due to slower powers)

Leader:
    Lilend
    Upstart cleric (green version of basic cleric from ign
    Basic cleric
    Maybe the angel, tho no one can get that yet

Controller:
    They're all terrible - so is the concept itself. I mean a pet you cant control tries to control things? lol. Too random and unuseful.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)