test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do we really need gold?

jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Other than spending it on potions, standard companions/mounts and consumables i find it pretty useless
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jedite2012 on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, since most people do need to spend it on:
    jedite2012 wrote: »
    potions, standard companions/mounts and consumables
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well that is all they can spend it on then, need more use for gold
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well that is all they can spend it on then,

That is a tautological statement since obviously everything you can spend something on is everything you can spend it on....

need more use for gold

I don't particularly see why since:

A) If gold was useless then people wouldn't be selling items in /Zone asking for gold.

B) Conversely, if you have spare gold you can transfer it into idols/keys/equipment quite easily.

Of course more options is never a bad thing, but I think there are far, far more important things that the Devs can be doing than worrying about this 'issue'.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you will use potions and injury kits faster than you will gain gold if you do dungeons only.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    yokanaanyokanaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    you will use potions and injury kits faster than you will gain gold if you do dungeons only.
    Not true if you identify all green items and buy scrolls cheaper on AH.

You can always buy items for gold and then sell it for AD or buy profession resources for gold and sell them for diamonds.
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The people who value gold right now would be pretty put out if you suddenly introduced a new and significant supplemental gold sink to take away from their potion/kit fund.

And the entire economic model is based around having two primary currencies; the developers can't just get rid of gold altogether, because then they'd have to let AD drop from common mobs in PvE. Otherwise, new and leveling players wouldn't be able to buy pots. And god only knows what that'd do to the Zen exchange rate.

I fully expect that some new avenues for gold spending will open. Based on what little I've heard, the new Campaign system will be a bit of a gold sink, in fact. But every time this complaint arises, I'm tempted just to say, "if you don't think gold is worth anything, then don't bother earning any gold." Or if you're feeling opportunistic, feel free to earn gold and then exchange it for AD-sellable items, just like countless other people do in Zone chat every day. It really is pretty simple. No one's forcing you to grind for gold.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Other than spending it on potions, standard companions/mounts and consumables i find it pretty useless

Do we really need food? Other than converting it to the necessary energy our body needs to survive I find it pretty useless.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Then you need to look on the test server, as it looks like "Fury of the Feywild" a bit of a gold sink!
  • Options
    invalidgirlinvalidgirl Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You really enjoy making these rhetoric threads, don't you? ._.;
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In STO, the "base" currency (ECs, which is like Gold here) is used on the AH. Here the AH uses the premium currency, so the Gold is even less useful than STO ECs are (although to be honest the entire AH system is different in STO in terms of most of the gear (not all) being acquired through the premium currenc(ies) and not sold on the AH in general).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You really enjoy making these rhetoric threads, don't you? ._.;

Yeah pretty much
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Well potions are a pretty good reason to need gold...
    Many go broke buying potions for epic dungeons...

But if you need more reason Fury of the Feywild will bring it,
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Will it bring more ways to earn it? What with previous ways to earn it being nerfed and all.
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ran cn last night w/o a cleric because none were available. I burned through a load of healing pots and probably 10 injury kits.. Do that enough times, your gold cache will be very pitiful looking. Actually, even running cn or several other t2 dungeons will burn through the pots. Unless you are one of those players who refuses to use a potion and expects the cleric to heal you 100% of the time and cry when you die because the cleric didn't heal you :p As much as I would like a wow/everquest type cleric/healer, this game doesn't have one so pots can go as fast as candy on halloween :)
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I like having my gold limited to Potions and Kits. Since i like saving my AD for gearing.
  • Options
    drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    Will it bring more ways to earn it? What with previous ways to earn it being nerfed and all.

You must be referring to being unable to sell PvP gear now. I hate that.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Correct. I was referring to that. It's fairly awesome that they are apparently creating more gold sinks yet at the same time removing ways to make gold.
  • Options
    rando12467rando12467 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You need gold for crafting ingredients. At 5s a piece you can lose 5 to 10 gold in a hurry.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Gold is the basic currency - it gets you the bare necessities, and that's about it. It seems perfectly fitting if you ask me. Potions, basic gear, basic mounts, injury kits, etc.

What annoys me is how stuff gives XP rewards at level 60. I can see the value in that for leveling up companions, but otherwise i"d like to see some ability to convert XP to coppers for level 60's (as an optional feature of course).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums