test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

OFFICIAL 3D editor Feedback Thread

badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
This is the place where you should put all your feedback about the latest update to the 3D editor.

The Dev team will be coming here first to get feedback.

Please remember to stay on topic and respect the opinions of your fellow authors.

If it is bugs with the 3D editor try using this format to make it easier to pick out
Issue summary
Issue location
Additional information

Thanks a ton gang!
Looking forward to seeing your feedback.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jackassassinjackassassin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm lovin the changes you've made to the editor. I mean... the ability to fly around is HUGE... and adding objects while in 3D mode... it's sooo much more enjoyable to work with. The new feature that lets you move an object along the surface is also very useful. Over all... an unbelievable update that will allow foundry quests to me made better, and much much more quickly. I might even wait to work on my projects until this patch comes out!
  • Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So I was able to get in and spend some time on this today without the Foundry crashing on me for the most part.

- Free Camera is awesome! Seemed to work pretty well, I flew up in the air and I was building cities and houses from scratch with ease! I couldn't really find any way to break it in my limited use, although I did get myself stuck up in some trees near the edge of the map. Probably my fault though. Resetting the map got me out.
    - Copy and paste is just as awesome! Using the "Duplicate" feature in 2D mode is something I think every author used quite a bit, but there were always those moments where you log in to test the map, realize you need just one more piece of wall or one more chair, and have to go all the way back out to the 2D editor to copy that one item. Love this feature.
    - The "Drag along the floor or wall" thing works great too. In the new 3D edit mode, I noticed a few items I did place appeared initially below the ground. Grab them in this mode, and bam! They pop right up and sit on the ground perfectly. Good times.

A few bugs:
    - Stepping on a trap trigger or trying to move a trap while in Edit Mode appears to cause a disconnect from the server. Happened to me three times, and I didn't want to try a fourth time. For the record, the trap in question was a spear trap.
    - Upon first loading a Quest for Edit, the cursor is missing. And the good ol "CTRL+S" trick to get it back doesn't work because the Save button is grayed out since no changes have been made. This seems to happen pretty consistently upon being disconnected from the server, like in the situation mentioned above. When this happens, the "Pre-Publish Task List" loads up with a bunch of items initially when the quest loads, then they vanish, and then the cursor is nowhere to be found.
    - The dropdown boxes for "Combat" and "Movement" behave oddly when not in Edit Mode. They allow you to click them and open up for a brief flicker before closing. The "Movement" one can probably be disabled while not in Edit Mode, but the “Combat”one should probably be active and able to be changed at any time.

I think that's it for now. I'll post any more feedback I have as I continue to mess around with it. Excited to see this go live! :D
  • Options
    badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll get the team on the issues you found right away!
  • Options
    elcondoroelcondoro Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I haven't encountered any bugs, as such, but have a few suggestions:
    • Tooltip when a cluster of 'blue cubes' are together. e.g. a fireplace with details (fireplace, fire, sound) is difficult to work out which cube is which.
    • Mouse wheel zoom in and out (Personally, I would like this in the game, too - without the need for 'B' key - but it would be useful in the 3D editor)
    • Component tree so the author can find something quickly (double-click to go straight to it when in free movement mode?)
    • Up/Down key when in 3D free movement mode. I love that I can 'fly' over terrain etc but the ability to move in 3D when focusing on an object would be good)
    • Will there be the ability to create custom clusters and clusters for indoors. Same example above: a fireplace has 4 details (fireplace, sound, fire effect, light effect) and it would be good to be able to cluster them as we like and save them.
    • When editing a detail to move it on a plane, allow the use of the arrow keys to give greater control. Sometimes mouse control can be a bit difficult. e.g. setting a door against a wall exactly.

I am absolutely amazed at how much better the 3D editor makes authoring quests - great work!
  • Options
    shadownighthawk1shadownighthawk1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ahh, only just come across this thread, opps... just posted a thread on what i believe to be a 3D editing bug. Ill copy it all over to here so that you guys might find it quicker :)

Map: Focal Detailed
    Error: 3D Editor Duplication bug

Has anyone else had this issue yet? i have placed a hat full of village buildings onto the map, gone into the 3d editor mode (from 2d birds eye view mode) and the moment i try to edit the position of a building, be it on the X Y Z, rotation or the new (and rather lovely) free move at ground value button, it duplicates the building! the thing is, once you leave the edit mode after editing the position of the building, the old building you had originally placed, vanishes! thats great! but having this, solid ghost of the object present whilst editing the position can get very annoying when trying to work out the new position! so thats the first thing, the other thing is, when this new editable copy appears when you highlight it, it doesn't appear at the original placement but slightly off, be it left, right and even (and this one makes me think this is a bug) upside down!! now i may be pretty new to editing foundrys buuuut im pretty sure even i can determine when placing a building that its upside down or not! lol.
    So yes, has anyone else had this issue? is it a known bug and can anyone even make sense of the gibberish ive just written! lol
    Ok, to make this a little easier i took a screen shot

5p03.jpg

As you can see, in the screenie, after highlighting the editing square (without even clicking) the editing box appears around the building, it its not our originally placed building, that is still sat there in a ghost like form whilst this new one appears and is not even in line with it. The old one is a solid shape and thus blocks out viewing of the editing. Once ive placed this new building and i exit the editing mode, the old one vanishes replaced by our newly edited building. I have also noticed this is a single occurrence, after exiting the edit mode and then going back into it this building will now no longer create a duplicate but instead be editable how it should be by simply dragging around and re placing it. All well and good but the exiting and re entering of edit mode just to fix a building from ghosting is a very timely and very off putting fix.
    Hope this helps explain it better
  • Options
    derpdedoderpdedo Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I love everything you guys have done so far with the 3D editor.

My only complaint is this at the moment:

If we cursor on an item by accident without meaning to, we can move threw it which can be helpful at times. But at times it's more of a pain when you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alfredon4alfredon4 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    PT

Um pequeno comentário, mas de grande valor.

Em linguagens de de programação, independente de qual ela seja, existe uma "coisinha" chamada sem efeito.
    É um simples character(ou mais) que torna uma(ou mais) linha(s) sem efeito logico, desabilitando para efeito de analise do mesmo.
    Isso é aquele momento em que o usuário se pergunta: "Onde é que eu estou errando?"
    Para seu editor ficar bem funcional, Sei que isto abre um leque novo e ajuda aos pequenos usuários de seu aplicativo.

Fica aqui uma dica, veja a foto abaixo:

EN

A small review, but great value.

In programming languages, regardless of what it is, there is a "thing" called void.
    It is a single character (or more) which makes one (or more) line (s) with no logical end, disabling for purposes of analysis of the same.
    This is that moment when you ask yourself, "Where am I going wrong?"
    To get your editor working well, I know this opened up a new range and helped to small users of your application.

Here is a hint, look at the picture below:

cPQ9v9A2cQsuf5zqCUuAen9BAaQEtT5ZMw8jfrag7eo=w372-h207-p-no

Its editor walks into a good solution.
    Good luck in your way, I must stick to my simple way of being user.

Respectfully n4rede (Alfredo).