test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Player Housing

robonauticusrobonauticus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just wondering if plans for housing will be in the future. Always love the idea of having my own place in a game, were I can place all my loot and trophy's from beasties that I slay.
Post edited by robonauticus on

Comments

• Options
    warbrwarbr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I like the idea for guilds to have their own place to meet and organize, but I dont think that Player Housing would work in an action MMO. Its different than MMOs like second life
  • Options
    blondesolidblondesolid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited March 2013
    ^ We have tools to make full on dungeons but cannot use them for our own home/base? I am at a loss at how this could not work in an "action mmo" that has every quest separately instanced.
  • Options
    warbrwarbr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    ^ We have tools to make full on dungeons but cannot use them for our own home/base? I am at a loss at how this could not work in an "action mmo" that has every quest separately instanced.
    Well maybe I used the wrong words when I said that its would not work. What I really think is that Player housing is not the focus of any action game and there are lots of other features that I'd rather Devs to work than Player Housing.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yeah i think housing can bring a lot of $$ to them and it would not make any big rage on forum for giveing power to ppl who spend $.they could sell bigger nicer houses then basic,furniture and so
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    yeah i think housing can bring a lot of $$ to them and it would not make any big rage on forum for giveing power to ppl who spend $.they could sell bigger nicer houses then basic,furniture and so
    You made a great point there. Since they have to make money with this game somehow, I really hope they keep making money with anything that does not affect the game, and if player housing can be one of those things, this can really be a great idea.

They just need to be careful to not make it with benefits that in the end players will feel obliged to spend money on a house.
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just a few ideas:

Small house, 500z, looks like the interiors of the few small buildings in naverwinter, player load 5
    Large Home, 800-1000z, similar to appearance as a small house but larger interior, player load 10

Ocean Side Villa, 1500z+, wide open yard, large open air building in the middle, player load 20

Mercenary Barracks, 1500+, wide open yard, small central bunk house, player load 20, includes "strawmen" that can be attacked for practice.

Small Palace, 2000+, huge open yard, stawmen to the side for the "house guards", large open air central palace.

all these structures would have access to mail and bank.

In Champs, these are called "Hideouts" and along with bank access, there is an account bank for sharing items across all your characters.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How the game handles instances will significantly impact whether or not player housing is possible.

City of Heroes could not handle the persistent instances that player housing would have generated, but we did have Supergroup Bases (guild halls), which were lots of fun to design. I would love to see something like this in NW as well, especially because base design adds yet another vast dimension of time-sink to the game. (Different strokes for different folks, I love costume and base design even more than combat! Now if I could only get XP for costume design...)
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    megatenistmegatenist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder if they will eventually add some sort of outfit options, like in their other games PWI or CO? Kinda funny seeing all the wizards looking the same.
    "All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening." - Alexander Woollcott
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    megatenist wrote: »
    I wonder if they will eventually add some sort of outfit options, like in their other games PWI or CO? Kinda funny seeing all the wizards looking the same.
    there is u even get some ugly fashion for free at first few lvls
  • Options
    megatenistmegatenist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    there is u even get some ugly fashion for free at first few lvls

Cool thanks! I didn't know that. I'll check them out this weekend.
    "All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening." - Alexander Woollcott
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You're going to get boiler plate housing, much like the system currently in Champions.

They'll probably add yet ANOTHER currency in the game, that lets you accrue points to expand the base or put nifty "trophies" and stuff on the wall. But it will be something fairly fast and cheap. Then of course, there will be stuff in the Zen market to make your base even prettier or a bit more unique.

It will probably come out six to nine months post-release and it will be, I predict, incredibly underwhelming. :)
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    reaperking66reaperking66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    You're going to get boiler plate housing, much like the system currently in Champions.

They'll probably add yet ANOTHER currency in the game, that lets you accrue points to expand the base or put nifty "trophies" and stuff on the wall. But it will be something fairly fast and cheap. Then of course, there will be stuff in the Zen market to make your base even prettier or a bit more unique.

It will probably come out six to nine months post-release and it will be, I predict, incredibly underwhelming. :)
    this is a rather worrying and i fear accurate guess on what will happen. now i don't usually care if "player/guild" housing is in a game even if it is nice to have, but if its going to be in the game having it be done poorly would be worse then not having it at all. just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We just have to keep pushing for them to adjust the Foundry system to accommodate persistent areas (and also allow more than 5 players in at once). That would be the best solution to player housing (and guild housing) in this game.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To me, in my opinion, As the Story goes;
    Every character we make in a fantasy game, Is THE Hero!
    Time and again, in our favorite books and stories, the great heros, most of the time, had fabulous, interesting, breath taking or inspiring homes. Better part of a chapter is written describing in great detail the homes that the heroes have.

If neverwinter follows this same ideology for the characters, THE hero/s, then the homes needed should be just as fabulous, interesting, breath taking or inspiring, or at least have the potential to be.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    silver44swordsilver44sword Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope not, nor guild ships or anything remotely related to housing. They need to focus on the adventures, stories, arcs, npc and beasty creations rather than a waste of DEV support for something unessential in NWO.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited March 2013
    babylon wrote: »
    We just have to keep pushing for them to adjust the Foundry system to accommodate persistent areas (and also allow more than 5 players in at once). That would be the best solution to player housing (and guild housing) in this game.

Player housing in CO and STO are not persistent zones. Not even the SuperGroup bases in Cith or Heroes were persistent. They fire up when a player zones in. And they despawn a set about of time after the last player leave. If you are logged out in such a map, you are booted to the last persistance zone you came from.
  • Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    Player housing in CO and STO are not persistent zones. Not even the SuperGroup bases in Cith or Heroes were persistent. They fire up when a player zones in. And they despawn a set about of time after the last player leave. If you are logged out in such a map, you are booted to the last persistance zone you came from.

By "persistent" (and here I'm using the term the devs used when they talked about adjusting the Foundry for player housing) I think the devs mean you would be able to keep items in your house, and move things around, and they'd be where you last put them (rather than the house resetting every time you leave and things disappearing etc, which would suck).
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    While it's true that the zones weren't persistent in the sense that they stayed around even when you logged off, there was still data that had to be stored. Unfortunately I never understood the reasoning very well, but basically in City of Heroes they said that the servers maintain some kind of load for characters who are logged off in an instanced map. And while yes, you get booted out the door upon logging back in, they cited this additional load as the reason they could not develop player housing. We already had Supergroup Bases, and apparently they said trying to replicate a private space for every character was not possible (due to load) with their technology.

Ideally someone who actually worked at Paragon could explain it better, because being players, we only got a little bit of the story. But that's what I remember being told, anyway.
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope not, nor guild ships or anything remotely related to housing. They need to focus on the adventures, stories, arcs, npc and beasty creations rather than a waste of DEV support for something unessential in NWO.

I'm willing to say that since the Foundry is in place the Devs will work more on the "story" of Neverwinter then on off-shoot quest lines.

I can actually see the Foundry becoming the replacement for developers to develop side-story quest. Why spend salary/hourly for a person to write up a quest to dig in <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for a key when a player can do that.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    foundermeo1foundermeo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Guild castles. with defences fortifications player housing for guild members and the ability to upgrade for services like crossroad keep

that would be awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!
  • Options
    lordalphaprimelordalphaprime Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    I'm willing to say that since the Foundry is in place the Devs will work more on the "story" of Neverwinter then on off-shoot quest lines.

I can actually see the Foundry becoming the replacement for developers to develop side-story quest. Why spend salary/hourly for a person to write up a quest to dig in <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for a key when a player can do that.

dang it jetah...you just ruined my first foundry quest spilling the beans like that!!
  • Options
    seawalker13seawalker13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 229 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I may just be shooting my mouth off here again (as usual) but isn't Founder access for designing one-shot quests and plot lines, and not permanent fixtures on the servers? That's how I perceived the Foundry. Quests, plot lines and such, timed things, nothing of permanence. I may be wrong, this is pure supposition on my part.
  • Options
    talen4talen4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited March 2013
    I'm not going to argue what may or may not be practical for the devs to do if housing is ever added. Instead, I'll just say what housing system I like (or dislike).

I dislike instanced housing (such as Everquest 2). Although you could open your home to the public, most people would never know if you had a cool home or not. You were simply one of many names on a door. The exception to this was when they started the housing ratings and advertisements, then some exceptional instanced homes got noticed and more visitors (not unlike how the Foundry system will work here actually).

I somewhat dislike open-world housing (such as Ultima Online and Vanguard). This system either makes open-world areas feel too crowded (UO) or way too big (VG). Don't get me wrong, I love a huge game world but not housing zones that take hours to cross.

I like instanced neighborhoods (such as Lord of the Rings Online). This felt like a good mix between instanced and open-world systems. Each neighborhood had a small collection of small, medium, and large homes. You could stroll through the area and see what players had put on their front lawns and such. There are even mail boxes and a community area (ripe for RPers).

Now the city of Neverwinter, in its current state, would not be very ideal for neighborhood housing. I'd still like to see it somewhere in the game world though.

tl;dr --- instanced and open-world housing = bad ::: instanced neighborhood housing = good
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Plans - I hope so, the idea was transmitted to devs who were receptive to it.
  • Options
    tazrakunetazrakune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited March 2013
    I am all for housing and any MMO without it quickly loses my interest. Guild halls are great, but housing is more personal to the character.
    JerroldNeverwintersig_zps8ecd4397.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    jetah wrote: »

I may just be shooting my mouth off here again (as usual) but isn't Founder access for designing one-shot quests and plot lines, and not permanent fixtures on the servers? That's how I perceived the Foundry. Quests, plot lines and such, timed things, nothing of permanence. I may be wrong, this is pure supposition on my part.

From developer and community team comments, I get the impression that they are indeed hoping for the vast majority of mission-doing to be foundry content. Neverwinter Nights showed that a community can continue to generate content at a very fast pace, long after the developers have shipped the product as "finished". Now, because NW is an MMO (NWN was not), we will continue to see developer presence, but it won't necessarily be on lots of mission content.

Whether or not that actually plays out, we shall see.
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I see the Foundry as the new form of players creating maps for RTS's. The first RTS that had player created maps was groundbreaking. This is the first time I've heard of a developer trying to intergrate player driven quest inside an MMO (i know it's been out in other cryptic/PW games). My first response was 'oh now developers can spend more time developing plot/story quest vs side quest'.

sorry to derail the thread.
    I too would like to see Player Housing. The problem is how to go about it. Do you have 1 door that phases/ports you to 'your' house. do you use a zone portal that allows players to find plots of their choosing. do you phase an area similar to WoWs' Sunsong Ranch.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    jessidiusjessidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited March 2013
    Yes, housing -- please. ;)
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just let me build my house other than Neverwinter. The city is a mess...
  • Options
    devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't seem to recall DnD being about settling down with a wife and taking up the merchant's trade...Just saying, that makes for a pretty boring story of adventure, treasure, danger and the like.
This discussion has been closed.