test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cluster Object Brainstorm

crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Greetings, Moonstar Elite!

Now that you've had a few days to explore the Foundry, I wanted to create this thread to come up with ideas for new cluster objects. First, here's a quick description of Clusters and how they work.

What are Cluster Objects?
A cluster is simply a group of objects that can be placed as a whole. Each individual object in that group can be moved or deleted, and each object automatically aligns itself to the height of the terrain. This works great for clusters of trees, grass, and rocks, but has many other potential uses!

How do I use clusters?
Cluster objects can be found in the "Clusters" tab in the right hand pane of the map editor. To place a cluster, simply drag and drop the object from the list onto your map. You can move and rotate the whole cluster by selecting the group, represented by a large grey circle. Currently, they only work on exterior maps with terrain, but we plan to enable them for use on interior maps as well.

Below is my own list of cluster objects I came up with, many of which are already added to the library. If you guys have any ideas for clusters that aren't on this list, please comment!

EXTERIORS:

Nature
- Rocks
- Trees
- Grass & Bushes
- Small Water Features (ponds, waterfalls, streams)
- Clusters for Different Nature Types:
- Snow-covered versions of all of the above
- lava flows/rocks
- Chasm/spellplague themed clusters
- Underdark/cave rock formations

Buildings
- Buildings with doors/windows/clutter around them
- Villages
- camps
- ruins
- graveyards/tombs

Infrastructure
- Paths
- Walls/fences
- Markers (torches, posts)

Misc
- Ground Fill
- corpses, battle debris
- rubble
- hay, dirt, pebbles
- Effects
- Fire
- Ground Fog
- Fireflies

INTERIORS (Not yet implemented):

Furniture
- Cluttered tables
- table/chair/booth arrangements
- Bar
- Bedroom arrangements
- Kitchen arrangements
- Books & Bookshelves
Clutter
- Crates & Barrels (I hate that store BTW)
- Misc items and debris (papers, potions, reagents, etc.)
- rubble
- drinks & food
Themed Sets
- Torture Devices, cages
- indoor foliage, vines, overgrowth
- spellplague cracks/fires
- Water drips, puddles
- Coffins/Sarcophagus
- Mining equipment/minecart and tracks

Thanks all!
Post edited by crypticmapolis on

Comments

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,824 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You covered a lot there, so most of my main ideas and wishes seem to be covered.

1) Even with the current cluster of walls they tend to be a bit short. I was trying to make a city and i still needed about 20 clusters. can we get walls added to be longer?

2) I'm also wondering if you could actually have clusters of NPC contacts?

So a villager cluster, or a city guard cluster, a mage cluster etc.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Mage tower cluster (mostly inside a pool of water for seclusion).
    Treehouse cluster in forest for watch-posts.
    Hot spring fountains and baths.[water that comes from ground with high speed]
    Freshly cut clearings in forest.[to show recent lumber activity]
    Farms (Paddy fields, cotton fields, wheat fields, malt fields, hops fields etc.)

More will come up when I use it properly tomorrow.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    • Piles of leaves for places near towns
    • vines,
    • a kind of Stonehenge or circle stones or monoliths.
    • non-combatant swarms like a swarm of insects (think gnats or bees While I'm on it, include swarms in combat too [no options there when chosen.])
    That's it off the top of my head.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bazagbazag Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A farm cluster (with option for various crops if more than corn is added as an asset).

Farm cluster includes a small - medium house. crop field and fences.
  • cerberusfilmscerberusfilms Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Would you be able to create a cluster for a premade village/town with NPC's with pre-programmed Patrols? I could see that being very popular and well used...

And even interaction or speech already programmed to be going on between the npc's in the village..
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    NPCs in cluster objects is a feature a few devs have asked for, and I love the idea. If we have a nice list of possible uses for NPC clusters, that would help sell the idea internally :)
  • cerberusfilmscerberusfilms Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    NPCs in cluster objects is a feature a few devs have asked for, and I love the idea. If we have a nice list of possible uses for NPC clusters, that would help sell the idea internally :)
    1. Premade Chatter NPC Groups to populate Towns, Taverns, Dungeons, Cryptics, Keeps, etc etc. Each with a different set of text chatter and animations assigned to them.
    2. Patrol clusters to go along with the Village and town layouts.
    3. Child Clusters, They can be running around, playing and chattering away with eachother
    4. Rank and File Clusters for the more.. military occasions (saves a LOT of copy and pasting), you could even make it an advancing legion..
    5. A cluster to simulate a battle, perhaps to go along with the debris clusters, NPC groups 'fighting' one another, until the player engages them in combat
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A cluster to simulate a battle, perhaps to go along with the debris clusters, NPC groups 'fighting' one another, until the player engages them in combat

And my favorite:

6. NPC clusters of people running in panic away from this fighting!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,824 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    npc clusters could also come with several default animations:

Village/towns folk for easy population of large cities with light walking set up

an angry mob with torches and pitchforks (in honour of every game forum ever).

City guards/watch - possibly in formation to suggest being ready for battle or training exercises.

Dead bodies to show a slaughter or a battle

Monks/priests gathering for a ceremony, perhaps praying

mages preparing a ritual, chanting and moving their hands

several other non human groups such as elves, dwarves, haflings.
    edited September 2012
    Just felt the need for a cluster of livestocks. Grazing in the grass or resting.

e.g. You have a caravan. You can put carts and tent, but no cows or horses to show who pulled those carts. I am currently using pet gnolls though... but it is not realistic.

Also horses grazing in the grass.
  • bazagbazag Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    While this may not be a technically a cluster of objects. I thing it would be a nice related feature.

The ability to create custom Clusters and save them.

Maybe a specific location you want to be able to re-use later on, a specific pattern or collection of traps or really anything that you want to use as a single unit.
    edited September 2012
    More clusters

Forest foilage cluster.
    Sea shells and pebble cluster for beaches.
    Shipwreck cluster.

~~~~~~~~

Regarding clusters, a temporary solution is that you can place things and copy them to paste them as group. I do it with farms. (multiple select after making a row and then copy paste the row).

**This is not an idea**

So I was working with clusters in foundry and I placed wall clusters. After some time, a specific type of wall from the cluster disappeared and I saw error saying 'component no longer exist in foundry library' (Stone wall cluster - a specific wall with [UNTRANSLATED] attached to it as postfix).

So I manually replaced the walls and not a big problem, but I just wanted to make sure:-
    This is a "alpha test" related issue only, right? Because if such 'disappearances' are there when game goes live, many old foundry missions would need to be redone later.

EDIT: Thanks I just wanted reassurance. :)
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    **This is not an idea**

So I was working with clusters in foundry and I placed wall clusters. After some time, a specific type of wall from the cluster disappeared and I saw error saying 'component no longer exist in foundry library' (Stone wall cluster - a specific wall with [UNTRANSLATED] attached to it as postfix).

So I manually replaced the walls and not a big problem, but I just wanted to make sure:-
    This is a "alpha test" related issue only, right? Because if such 'disappearances' are there when game goes live, many old foundry missions would need to be redone later.

I'm aware of the issue with the walls actually. I had a specific wall segment that wasn't properly tagged as a UGC object, so the foundry was rejecting it. We've added validation this morning to prevent this in the future. :)
    edited September 2012
    That explains it. Thought it was ny n00bishness.

Maybe I'll take a night off editing and let the patches do their thing. After all finished two basic mod layouts, working on a third (all campaign) and half the time I'm trying to figure out if things not working are me or bugs :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stoleviathan99stoleviathan99 Member Posts: 7,453 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A few thoughts:

EXTERIOR:
    Battlefields.

INTERIOR:
    Tavern

One thing that might be nice as well would be a variety of skins focusing on the various patron deities.
  • monadpluralmonadplural Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A few thoughts:

EXTERIOR:
    Battlefields.

INTERIOR:
    Tavern

One thing that might be nice as well would be a variety of skins focusing on the various patron deities.

As far as tavern clusters, there is another option already available to you... some of the human interiors have Pre-population sets that are Tavern themed. (r-click the placed room, select pre-populate). Not a complete solution, but might help you out a bit, today. ;)
  • paladinvalinpaladinvalin Member, Moonstars Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A couple of clusters I thought of:

Treasure piles (Gold, Silver, Gems)
    Discarded Books
    Cluster of Weaponry (Swords, Daggers, Axes, Crossbows, Bows)
    Ship wreckage
    Seaweed
    Piles of Fish
    Broken Glass
    edited September 2012

Discarded Books
    Cluster of Weaponry (Swords, Daggers, Axes, Crossbows, Bows)
    Ship wreckage
    Seaweed
    Piles of Fish
    Broken Glass

Surprised no broken glass, but confirmed not there. And DUH GJ to the treasure piles! Will come in handy for those treasure room scenes and future dragon's dens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012

A must!
    Just felt the need for it when I was using kobolds. When we have a dragon in game, we have to have a hoard which it guards!
    edited September 2012
    A must!
    Just felt the need for it when I was using kobolds. When we have a dragon in game, we have to have a hoard which it guards!

While I'm thinking about it, a sound clip for those monster to only say Kolbold! No just kidding!

But I liked them in the main quest mission BTW. Nice use of traps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Harbour areas, Ships, small boats, Jetty's, gangways. Im trying to recreate Luskan, but i bet ill get overbudget before i even drop any buildings on the large costal map. Construction platforms to try and use as jetty's are too high when placed in ocean compared to boats.
    edited October 2012
    1. A Bookcase with books lined in it,
    2. a cupboard with many utensils,
    3. fighting npc-s like a war who are not interactable,
    4. burning village,
    5. killed people's dead bodies of different shapes,
    6. flowers and butterfly (garden and royal garden),
    7. lightning falling on ground burning tress and stuff around,
    8. lots of fire and smoke in one big cluster.
    edited October 2012
    1. A Bookcase with books lined in it,
    2. a cupboard with many utensils,
    3. fighting npc-s like a war who are not interactable,
    4. burning village,
    5. killed people's dead bodies of different shapes,
    6. flowers and butterfly (garden and royal garden),
    7. lightning falling on ground burning tress and stuff around,
    8. lots of fire and smoke in one big cluster.

A bookcase with interactive books in it, how in The Elder Scrolls did I miss that idea?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    These are some great ideas guys, keep 'em coming!

There is one limitation to cluster objects that I have to bring up here. All objects within a cluster currently snap to the terrain. This means I can't actually stack things on shelves or tables, because they would fall to the ground when placed.

However, I can certainly make objects that have parts flagged as being interactable. For example, there's a house I added where if you make the whole house interactable, only the door will sparkle. So in the case of the bookshelf, I can make one or more books interactable in a full bookshelf, but I can't let you break the books apart from the shelf as separate objects.

With that in mind I still like hearing suggestions for pre-built objects like bookshelves, so that's great :)
    edited November 2012
    A cluster of random light objects/points.
    edited December 2012

However, I can certainly make objects that have parts flagged as being interact-able. For example, there's a house I added where if you make the whole house interact-able, only the door will sparkle. So in the case of the bookshelf, I can make one or more books interact-able in a full bookshelf, but I can't let you break the books apart from the shelf as separate objects.

This is no longer a big issue due to addition of vertical invisible walls.
    But is it possible to have one vertical wall which does not sparkle when interact-able but is interact-able all over? Possible the 20x20x1?

Cluster idea:-
    Snow capped peaks - A simple snow with snowman and other things which can be dragged and added to potions of map like the peaks of mountain etc.
    edited December 2012
    Oh Selune!

You guys should say something after making such nice changes! Thanks for the crops and other clusters!!!!

;)

EDIT: *trying to breath* OOooohhhh!!! Helm's hold! Hotenow! Out on ofundry so are many detailed outdoors .....
    edited January 2013
    I've finished adding all the zones that are currently done to the Foundry and I'm in the middle of adding all the smaller dungeon delves in the game. Also, this happened a while ago now, but there are a metric ton of new effects objects in the library now.
    edited January 2013
    I've finished adding all the zones that are currently done to the Foundry and I'm in the middle of adding all the smaller dungeon delves in the game. Also, this happened a while ago now, but there are a metric ton of new effects objects in the library now.
    Noticed it, but they are not previewable. Ice portal for example - I tried to put it but can't really see it.

Instead of 3d models, if we can just get a 2d picture for FX, that would be fine.

EDIT:
    And you added zoom bar in preview window too.

EDIT2:
    lol, I feel like a foundry stalker.
    edited January 2013
    *Watches across the street with binocs and a parabolic mic*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]