test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Housing

earthlightearthlight Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Will there be housing or guild areas ect. Anybody know?
Post edited by earthlight on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    earthlight wrote: »
    Will there be housing or guild areas ect. Anybody know?

That is on wishlist of devs. But not during launch. (Ability to foundri-ize the public areas).
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I would love a housing system that makes me no longer miss UO's extremely customize-able housing system. I would like such to be persistent and public (choice between private and public is good too), as well as decorate-able, along with being thoroughly customize-able. I would like to be able to "live" in my abode when I am not adventuring.

That is the only one thing I have never stopped missing about Ultima Online was my Estate, that comprised of a Castle, a Keep, a Tower, and 3 other houses, all next to one-another. The 3 extra houses were all custom plots and I had a blast designing and decorating them. Even decorating the Castle, Keep and Tower was great fun.

Early on, I owned a ton of houses in UO, all little ones save for one Tower. When they introduced custom plots, I was in heaven. It wasn't until the last year or so that I played UO that I finally got the Estate that I mentioned. I would love to experience a similar feeling again in another MMO. EQ2 came close, with the decorating power of the inside. I prefer open-world housing though, not individually instanced.

Neverwinter should mix UO's Plot Customization with LotRO's Housing Community Instances with EQ2's decorating power... Indeed.
    edited September 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I would love a housing system that makes me no longer miss UO's extremely customize-able housing system. I would like such to be persistent and public (choice between private and public is good too), as well as decorate-able, along with being thoroughly customize-able. I would like to be able to "live" in my abode when I am not adventuring.

Agreed. The one thing I really really really liked (i very rarely use them thrice) about NWN2 was the fortress. I liked it even more than game. Infact game was just there to support me and my fortress. That kind of instanced area for players would be nice.

Also DA:O had that keep though it was useless for most part.

And let us make foundry campaign for castle sims too. Having stronghold like castle system as a break... ok I think I am starting to expect unrealistic things now.
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Wouldn't housing in NWO simply be an extension of the Foundry? Only instead of building an instance open to the whole community, you would be building a customized "home".

That would make most sense to me, just a plugin or sorts, added to the Foundry.

No?
    edited September 2012
    aescleal wrote: »
    Wouldn't housing in NWO simply be an extension of the Foundry? Only instead of building an instance open to the whole community, you would be building a customized "home".

No?

Yes you are right. But it can also be so much more. E.g. you can buy games for your house like a tabletop/pnp red box oof old D&D and play game in game (i.e. your PC rolls the dies for PC inside the game - the game in game idea proposed before).

Or there can be some other minigames/ foundry missions attached to your home/guild. Or you can build your own estate/army as in NWN2 in a separate instance. We shouldn't limit our demands for our demands shape the future of supplies!!!
  • ezrasteel1ezrasteel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Player housing is an area in which I would be interested in, but I do see a problem in permitting someone to use the Foundry to build their own home. I feel that it would take away some of the immersion in the game to have a relatively low level character owning a mansion that would dwarf the estates of Lords of the land.

There should be a "cost" associated with the housing, something that all players can aspire to affording rather than give them the whole enchilada at the outset. What that cost should be and how it is managed is another area altogether, something I suspect that will need careful consideration.

In all the games I have played, I have taken advantage of player housing and enjoyed the experience that it offered, but I recall in days past, playing SWO, the abandoned homes that littered the terrain. I have no desires to repeat that experience.

My Best,

Ezra Steel
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd like to see this based on the old "stronghold" at 9th level from pre 4e rule sets. Once you reach 9th (maybe a different level w/4e rules 10-11) you were basically granted land, and the right to build. You attracted retainers ect. (I know most of you know this already ;)). It would be nice to have it be something to work toward, rather than just be available right away. my 2cp
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This topic has come up far too much without any new development, and being remnded about UO's land plots is too much for me right now.

Know this that I'm supporting housing completely, but I'm too upset to post right now with there being no housing here. Excuse me, I need some...time alone now.

*Runs off crying, mourning the loss of his virtual estates*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aescleal wrote: »

No?

That's how I'm hoping it will work if it ever happens.
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    I'd like to see this based on the old "stronghold" at 9th level from pre 4e rule sets. Once you reach 9th (maybe a different level w/4e rules 10-11) you were basically granted land, and the right to build. You attracted retainers ect. (I know most of you know this already ;)). It would be nice to have it be something to work toward, rather than just be available right away. my 2cp
    ezrasteel1 wrote: »
    Player housing is an area in which I would be interested in, but I do see a problem in permitting someone to use the Foundry to build their own home. I feel that it would take away some of the immersion in the game to have a relatively low level character owning a mansion that would dwarf the estates of Lords of the land.

There should be a "cost" associated with the housing, something that all players can aspire to affording rather than give them the whole enchilada at the outset. What that cost should be and how it is managed is another area altogether, something I suspect that will need careful consideration.

In all the games I have played, I have taken advantage of player housing and enjoyed the experience that it offered, but I recall in days past, playing SWO, the abandoned homes that littered the terrain. I have no desires to repeat that experience.

My Best,

Ezra Steel

They could use some sort of UI between the user and the foundry that tacks on a gold cost. Want DwarvenMeadhall004? 500gp. Want to pre-furnish it basically? 200gp. Want to pre-furnish it with the best of the best? 800gp. Add on a quest available at level 20 (assuming the game runs 1-60) to gain Lord Neverember's favor and be able to own property to keep low level players from farming gold to buy estates and there might be a workable system there...
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I personaly prefer more a guild house/keep/town/[Insert guild propriety here] than a personal house, but if a housing system is included then is must have some functionality, like a storage room to save our stuff, an livingroom for our trophies (you know that cryptic will add this), and something like that...

if cryptic will add housing system with the foundry tool... we will not have a house but an mansion or even a palace, with NPCs and all!
    edited September 2012
    This topic has come up far too much without any new development, and being remnded about UO's land plots is too much for me right now.

Know this that I'm supporting housing completely, but I'm too upset to post right now with there being no housing here. Excuse me, I need some...time alone now.

Keep hope. I am planning on making a mote as my home with a fortress on it...
    oops! Shouldn't have said that before making one :p

Flying fortress!
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012

I am confused. Care to elaborate?
    edited September 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    I am confused. Care to elaborate?

I believe he is referring to "estates" in NW game which he would have owned, but now cannot - as housing is not implemented at launch.

That reminds me, I just lost my flying fortress too... ... ...
    b:shocked WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I believe he is referring to "estates" in NW game which he would have owned, but now cannot - as housing is not implemented at launch.

That reminds me, I just lost my flying fortress too... ... ...
    b:shocked WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

I was just having a time to cr...err, meditate; let me focus on a chanting tone *blows nose*

I was sad over both the loss of UO estate stuff I haven't thought of except long ago, and the inability to have housing of that kind (or any kind) in this game at its current development.

And I will (also I guess since it was posted earlier by another) have a land mote with a mansion, linked to a wizard's tower in its own pocket dimension. I can hope to make the former (or on land if we can't get floaties) and have to likely RP the latter tower locale for a while until planar travel is (much) later introduced (if ever, but I think Everquest made it likely we will in the classic D&D at least.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • katalystikkatalystik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If we get player housing, I'll finally have my pineapple under the sea! YAY! Maybe in one of your guys' moat. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I want a bar/inn with my house on the 3rd floor over looking a market or river.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zebular wrote: »

That is the only one thing I have never stopped missing about Ultima Online was my Estate, that comprised of a Castle, a Keep, a Tower, and 3 other houses, all next to one-another. The 3 extra houses were all custom plots and I had a blast designing and decorating them. Even decorating the Castle, Keep and Tower was great fun.

Early on, I owned a ton of houses in UO, all little ones save for one Tower. When they introduced custom plots, I was in heaven. It wasn't until the last year or so that I played UO that I finally got the Estate that I mentioned. I would love to experience a similar feeling again in another MMO. EQ2 came close, with the decorating power of the inside. I prefer open-world housing though, not individually instanced.

Neverwinter should mix UO's Plot Customization with LotRO's Housing Community Instances with EQ2's decorating power... Indeed.

I would like this too, it would be fun. What could be fun too is a "guild hall/tower/castle that grew with the guild level or members etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    That is on wishlist of devs. But not during launch. (Ability to foundri-ize the public areas).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWiMZjG3jPc
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i want make a... i dont know...

maybe a little castle or a keep... in the mountains.

over looking a town, a forest, a desert... or the sea
  • razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I do not really need housing, but if they did have it I hope they do it in an instanced zone like in LOTRO and not world wide like in SWG. It got to the point you could not take 20 steps without there being a house in the way.

Apartments/homes in Neverwinter, waterdeep, etc. would be fine with a gate to the 'housing' district that instances your guild land or something. That way the world is still free and clear and players can have houses.

Guild Earthmotes FTW!
This discussion has been closed.