test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Housing and Banks

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
Will there be housing in Neverwinter?

If no housing could Players through the forge make an instance with some housing for folks. Weather its for a guild or individuals a place folks could store equipment, craft, hang trophy's.

If no down the line with Cryptic or players be able to build such instances?

Will there be Banks in Neverwinter?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Adamantium wrote: »

If no housing could Players through the forge make an instance with some housing for folks. Weather its for a guild or individuals a place folks could store equipment, craft, hang trophy's.

Good Question..I thought of the same question myself

BUT I do not know. In Guild Wars and STO and DDO all have player hubs but no persistent single world and are instanced/module based. All had Banks

So I can't see why not..it's just a bank box to put your things into.

I do not know about player housing. But I am sure the magic items and equipment you get in modules would transfer or follow you. Be kinda sucky if a Paladin finally gets His +2 Holy Avenger after hours and days of playing a module, only to find it didn't transfer over to the Hub after leaving the module. So I am sure it does.

Player housing could be all done through one instanced gateway I would think?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Adamantium wrote: »

Well, in STO there is talk about player-maintained Starbases, and Cryptic has said they would like to allow us to design our own Starship interior layouts. So I would say that it is possible that the mechanics behind these concepts could be adapted to allow players to design their own houses.

We may not have city blocks and streets and such, so going to our house or a friend's house may be simplified so that if we are in the right city/hub, we can "go to house" and get a list of houses associated with that city/hub we hav e access to, with ours at the top of the list, private homes we have been given permission to access, and then any public houses that anyone can go to.

That would require a slight change to player access permissions from how they are in STO. In that game, we have to be online and invite friends to our ship.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And champions is getting Hideouts next month. So since it is the same engine it is possible of course for them to add it to the game. Wether it is or not at launch is another story.

That might be something added later on down the line. I would pay for something like that on the c-store. My own castle/farm whatever.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If they do, bear in mind that the need for server and database storage space will increase.

The reason is that duplicating the standard core game files can be done from 1 master copy. However unique areas like player designed/decorated houses can take up much more space.

A good way to do it is to keep the housing standardized. Have a few base styles and standard objects that can be purchased in-game, much like Hunter's Housing for NWN1.

Then have a cap on the number of objects you can decorate your house with. That way, all you really need to save to a database is the type of house and for furniture, the source object and it's X, Y, Z and Vector. Then the house can be instanced and dynamically rebuilt when you enter.

Something else I did was limit players on my server to 1 house per account. That made it MUCH more manageable.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If they do, bear in mind that the need for server and database storage space will increase.

The reason is that duplicating the standard core game files can be done from 1 master copy. However unique areas like player designed/decorated houses can take up much more space.

A good way to do it is to keep the housing standardized. Have a few base styles and standard objects that can be purchased in-game, much like Hunter's Housing for NWN1.

Then have a cap on the number of objects you can decorate your house with. That way, all you really need to save to a database is the type of house and for furniture, the source object and it's X, Y, Z and Vector. Then the house can be instanced and dynamically rebuilt when you enter.

Something else I did was limit players on my server to 1 house per account. That made it MUCH more manageable.

Hmm, maybe adding a weekly fee too. LotRO has a weeklyfee and if you don't pay the hose becomes available on the market. All personal items are redeemed at a vendor at the banks from what I gather from my short time over there.

Fee is in-game currency...just like a rent due.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    As CaptainQuirk mention there is talk in STO about player designed and run starbases.

But there is already a sort of form of housing - Star ships. These have three predefined interiors that we can chooses from (six if you count the different factions) and a large variety of bridge skins. So far these spaces are rather generic (though I believe they released a skin to make them look like TOS interiors) and have little function, but I see this changing over time.

Given that, I think that housing in NW will be very easy to accommodate most people at least at the start. I would imagine we might see a few generic options at first and then over time more and more complexity and options for customization.
This discussion has been closed.