test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do you feel about voluntary renumeration for content creators?

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
One of the reasons I think Neverwinter is good for Cryptic as they're good at getting all the core stuff in, and assets and the like, but short on good content in volume. As I've been saying for some time now, MMOs - yes I know this isn't an MMO, but you get what I'm saying - will just never produce content faster enough for players which is why most people are gone in 1-3 months and only show up for another or so with every expansion which is so limited anyway. This is the best way to provide an endless stream of new content to keep people around.

So while most content probably won't be that good. There's always a good deal of stuff that really shines, and sometimes surpasses the dev stuff. Now, we all get dinged enough for everything else so I'm only suggesting a shareware/donation type model here. I mean, wouldn't you pay a quarter or a buck or something for a really good module you really enjoyed as a thank you/tip to the creator(s)? It keeps paying customers around, it keeps them happy, that makes devs and the investors happy, so everyone is happy. Again, we're talking about something strictly voluntary here.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    It may not be a bad deal at all, especially if it costs the author money in order to purchase mission slots used to author and publish their content. It is only fair that there be a way that an appreciative community have a way to renumerate the authors expenses and effort with some kind of compensation. Even if it isn't money but instead in-game credits which could be used to purchase new services and assets (new mission slots perhaps? ;) )
    edited June 2011
    They may have changed their policy since this post, but this was suggested in STO and their response was that while they may choose to reward Foundry authors, they will not allow players to profit(as far as RL money goes) in any way from the game. And to be honest, I think a person will make a better mission if they are doing it because they want to tell a great story, not because they want to make a buck.
    edited June 2011
    It also opens a giant can of worms by possibly intersecting with labor laws and other hurdles.
    edited June 2011
    It also opens a giant can of worms by possibly intersecting with labor laws and other hurdles.

yeah, real money is of particular concern. Its possible that even using real money which would turn into 'real' virtual goods for the author could also be considered income.

I know back when CoH implemented mission architect that there were virtual rewards granted by the game based on certain criteria. These reward tickets could be used to purchase additional items that could be used for content creation. Not certain what that particular system does now or if it is still even in game.
    edited June 2011
    could you imagine all of the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people would submit just to make some points for the c store (or actual cash). I just can't see this as a good thing.

If I decide to use the foundry to create scenarios for the game I will do it for the pleasure of using the tools not to add to my account.
    edited June 2011
    tlantl wrote: »
    could you imagine all of the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people would submit just to make some points for the c store (or actual cash). I just can't see this as a good thing.

If I decide to use the foundry to create scenarios for the game I will do it for the pleasure of using the tools not to add to my account.

People are going to create <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> regardless. And good builders are going to build regardless as well. All I'm talking about here is - in effect - a gratutity. Just a way of saying thanks for the hard work. I certainly don't expect for this to be some sort of cottage industry. I've been gaming - personally and professionally since the late 70s, so I forget that sometimes people forget what things were like early on with MUDs, the shareware model, etc. Wouldn't you think it nice of someone if they sent you a few C-store points as a tip because they really enjoyed what you created? Hell, most of us tip a lot of people in our daily lives for considerably less. I know it'd make me feel good that someone enjoyed my module that much.
    edited June 2011
    Cutter wrote: »
    People are going to create <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> regardless. And good builders are going to build regardless as well. All I'm talking about here is - in effect - a gratutity. Just a way of saying thanks for the hard work. I certainly don't expect for this to be some sort of cottage industry. I've been gaming - personally and professionally since the late 70s, so I forget that sometimes people forget what things were like early on with MUDs, the shareware model, etc. Wouldn't you think it nice of someone if they sent you a few C-store points as a tip because they really enjoyed what you created? Hell, most of us tip a lot of people in our daily lives for considerably less. I know it'd make me feel good that someone enjoyed my module that much.

point taken ;)
    edited June 2011
    Cutter wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think it nice of someone if they sent you a few C-store points as a tip because they really enjoyed what you created?

That was also brought up, and the response was that since C-store points represent a RL monetary value that would not be acceptable. However, you can gift C-store points to a friend. So even though they are not going to build it into the system where you can gift a person C-store points for making a mission, you can still do so though the normal methods of gifting, as they do not ask you why you are doing it =p
    edited June 2011
    One of the interviews (I think it was IGN) includes a reference to Cryptic saying that an "Itunes-y" model was being considered for allowing players to profit from the Foundry.
    edited June 2011
    Ampithere wrote: »
    One of the interviews (I think it was IGN) includes a reference to Cryptic saying that an "Itunes-y" model was being considered for allowing players to profit from the Foundry.

Without wanting to sound like a 'For Profit' player, if this is a model they decided to use I'd probably actually start making missions more regularly. I usually have a whole slew of ideas and interesting ways of using things (most of which my friends pester me to utilize anyway) but no real urge to go out and make them. This is mostly due to time constraints on my life. But if such a system were to be implemented, it'd be much more incentive for me to put aside other things (paying projects and what not) and build.

But I'll likely do some volunteer stuff anywho.
    edited June 2011
    with a peer review system and politics in the gaming community, I think it would be a corrupt system made even worse by the addition of some kind of reward.
    edited June 2011
    I think there are two ways to go about it.

The first would be to use the NWN model where you agree to an EULA stating that since you use Bioware tools to make your content you cannot profit from the content. However no freelance content was used in the neverwinternights expansions other than DLA material which the DLA profited from. The system worked because everyone kept their hands away from the other.

The other model would be to pay freelance content makers on review from cryptic. So you make the content cryptic reviews it to make sure it is good enough then They put it into the game. Content makers would sign a contract giving cryptic a percentage of the profits for the content makers using their tools to make the content within some form of standardized framework.

There have been many gaming companys that have profited from freelancers paying them very little or nothing at all. CDprojekts comes to mind in several instances.

I would like to see good content makers that add to a game get a fair rate for all the work they put in. That may or may not be doable in this enviorment. I would be happy with a model similar to the NWN model, and the way Bioware and its custom content commuity interacted.
    edited June 2011
    I don't think any reward system should be impacted by player reviews.

Cryptic might just have to hire someone(s) to act like a secret shopper who goes into submitted content as a regular player, participates, and then submits a scaled report on the content. If a submitter has a good module, there could be a section on the main website that spotlights that module and awards the submitter with a few points to spend in the c-store or foundry unlocks.

This way it wouldn't be dependant on in game politics or popularity, and someone who consistantly produces quality modules gets a small bonus for contributing.
    edited June 2011
    SabreHawk wrote: »
    Cryptic might just have to hire someone(s)...

You lost me right there.

As much as I might like the idea of being rewarded in some way for having created a high quality module for Neverwinter, I would always prefer Cryptic to be spending their payroll budget on hiring additional modelers or artists or content developers to continue to create additional high-quality resources for the game over ever earning a couple of bucks or a handful of Cryptic points for my work with their tools and resources.
    edited June 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    You lost me right there.

As much as I might like the idea of being rewarded in some way for having created a high quality module for Neverwinter, I would always prefer Cryptic to be spending their payroll budget on hiring additional modelers or artists or content developers to continue to create additional high-quality resources for the game over ever earning a couple of bucks or a handful of Cryptic points for my work with their tools and resources.

Here, here!!
    edited June 2011
    I think rewarding quality work is not a bad idea, but it would likely be in "c-store" points or similar. My thoughts are that it should be coordinated as monthly prizes for high-rated content released that month, and perhaps a yearly round-up edition as well.

This isn't a "pay for work" model, but rather a competition style prize award. Also I have no problem with rewards being based off player-reviews, as long as the ratings system had some depth to it so that the most popular modules were only one of the rewards.

In that vein, I would be keen to see peer-review rating systems be a bit more in depth than a single 5 or 10-star rating. I would like to see both an overall rating given, and then individual ratings for aspects such as story, module design, combat design, challenge and fun. That way rewards could be given on a category by category basis.

That way, even a heavy story-based module that had little combat will still be eligible to win in the story category; even if the larger casual player base is mostly interested in combat, hack-n-slash heavy modules.

I'd be keen to hear people's feedback on other categories they think the rating system might evaluate, and so have created a thread here regarding that issue.
    edited June 2011
    If people can get donations for doing skins in Minecraft, creating high quality modules in Neverwinter would seem to qualify for some kind of reward beyond recognition.

Real money is always an issue but always can always concede some unlockables to the people that creates high quality material. Maybe some stuff for the Foundry (depending how it actually works) or new alternate equipment or some vanity stuff.

I'd prefer to be Cryptic the one who chooses.
    edited June 2011
    Not a fan. I'd rather have people trying because they love D&D rather than because they love rewards.

However, spotlighting missions via a community team / developer's choice would be nice. STO's spotlights are fairly infrequent.

It's not lot any of us are creating custom assets, we're just patching them together in a pretty way.
    edited June 2011
    They may have changed their policy since this post, but this was suggested in STO and their response was that while they may choose to reward Foundry authors, they will not allow players to profit(as far as RL money goes) in any way from the game. And to be honest, I think a person will make a better mission if they are doing it because they want to tell a great story, not because they want to make a buck.

I agree. The best missions I've played were from people that just love making them.
    edited June 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    You lost me right there.

I agree completely.