test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time setting good idea or bad idea?

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
The setting for this game is in Neverwinter after it had been destroyed and is being rebuilt. Which 90% of the characters we grew up with in the books....Cattibrie, Wulfgar, Bruenor, Regis, not too mention the Harpers that we read about, and many others, are all dead.

Is it a good idea for them to start in basically a fresh world where interaction with our favorite characters can not happen?

Or it bad, because those very characters made the Forgotten Realms what they are? Who wouldnt want to cross paths with Companions of the Hall?

What do you think?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I think it is a good idea, I like the setting for the 4e rules. IMO this is a time of great adventure, a 'dark' age has set in, the world is more dangerous, vast areas have undergone changes, etc. Here *we* get to become the powerful heroes and not be overshadowed by every 4th npc you meet.

Just my opinion though, I am fully aware that there are many who really HATE the new setting.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I hope they expand it to allow more "outside" adventures, not like DDO.

Either works for me, though I am an old time AD&D player, I like the idea of "starting over"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like that I do not have to be compared to them my self. but Drizzit is still around. Maybe not in never winter but the last books I read still had him alive and kicking.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually Drizzt and Bruenor saved Neverwinter from being destroyed again in the latest book Gauntlgrym:Neverwinter. Of course at the beginning of the book is when it gets destroyed.

And if I understand the timeline they are using, the game takes place immediately after this book.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Naah dunno...most of this looks odd to me...

Now we just need a couple of Drizzt Do'urdens running around...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fredgar wrote:
    The setting for this game is in Neverwinter after it had been destroyed and is being rebuilt. Which 90% of the characters we grew up with in the books....Cattibrie, Wulfgar, Bruenor, Regis, not too mention the Harpers that we read about, and many others, are all dead.

Is it a good idea for them to start in basically a fresh world where interaction with our favorite characters can not happen?

Or it bad, because those very characters made the Forgotten Realms what they are? Who wouldnt want to cross paths with Companions of the Hall?

What do you think?

My understanding is the game is set in the same time as the new books are being set...

Crazey Wayne
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Now we just need a couple of Drizzt Do'urdens running around...
    Unfortunately, we will get too many, gaving bad name to those who want to play non-Drizzt drows. :(

On topic, I would not play the game for a chance of meeting Bruenor or Cattiebrie. I would play it to have my own adventures. Meeting one of the big guys can be fun (Elminster or Drizzt in Baldur's Gate) but not important.

The "dark ages" feeling if well done is important though.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not a fan of 4e Forgotten realms.

Wizards of the Coast decided to rebrand their entire line of products under this "pillars of light" design principle--which is marketing gobbledygoo for saying that want their line of products to be similar and, thus, increase brand identity.

Except their "pillars of light" design is the epitome of every design out there and incredibly generic.

What it meant for consumers is that every campaign setting being touched in 4th edition is being torn apart and dismantled to all feel the same. Every setting is being shoehorned into this box, regardless of whether it fits.

I miss my wildly different 2nd edition settings: from Al-Qadim, Maztica, Ravenloft, Birthright, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Drizzt name is for those with no imagination. I will not take away from those that ahve use someone else work to feel like they are bad and awesome.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am hopeful that they will disallow names that have any of the common setting names built-in. As well as variants on the theme, although that might be a tad tricky :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I say let them and the NPC of those actual characters hunt them down and kill them. Seeking revenge for ID theft.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fredgar wrote:
    Actually Drizzt and Bruenor saved Neverwinter from being destroyed again in the latest book Gauntlgrym:Neverwinter. Of course at the beginning of the book is when it gets destroyed.

And if I understand the timeline they are using, the game takes place immediately after this book.

Yeah, or pretty close to it. The game takes place about 100 years after the Spellplaque (1385 DR) and 25 or so years after Neverwinter was destroyed (1451 DR I think, my Kindle is out of battery juice so waiting on it to recharge before I pull the exact year from the Gauntlgrym book).

The end of the Gauntlgrym book (the first in the Neverwinter trilogy) takes place in 1462 DR, with 1479 DR as the default start date for 4E D&D FR campaigns so I'd assume the remaining two books in the trilogy may bring us to that date or close to it as WotC likely wants it all to sync up so they can sell more product.

That said, I am kind of glad for the change with 4E FR. I made the world a darker place again, more dangerous, more weird and in theory at least got rid of a fair chunk of the magical silliness that always seemed to flitter about the edges of FR with just the sheer quantity of high magicky stuff.

That and I seem to remember a book series about Elminster needing to die and I HATE Elminster.
    I miss my wildly different 2nd edition settings: from Al-Qadim, Maztica, Ravenloft, Birthright, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, etc.

Not to mention my favorites of Planescape, Dark Sun and Spelljammer. (And Greyhawk, but it wasn't really wildly different, just grimmer.) The 4E versions they've done of Planescape and Dark Sun both feel very pale and thin compared to the old 2E versions which had so much more color and detail and creativity to them.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    Not to mention my favorites of Planescape, Dark Sun and Spelljammer. (And Greyhawk, but it wasn't really wildly different, just grimmer.) The 4E versions they've done of Planescape and Dark Sun both feel very pale and thin compared to the old 2E versions which had so much more color and detail and creativity to them.

I liked Planescape and Dark Sun.

Spelljammer was a miss for me. Space hamsters and pirate galleons with space bubbles felt like they wanted to shoehorn the realms into Star Trek. :p
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fredgar wrote:
    The Drizzt name is for those with no imagination. I will not take away from those that ahve use someone else work to feel like they are bad and awesome.

Don't worry... There will be certain names which players will be unable to use when naming their characters. I would imagine certain Dark Elves and pipe living wizards will be among the names players won't be able to use.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Too much high level hign magic baggage with the old FR, so WOTC needed to move it on and shake it up. Jury is still out in my mind though whether it got just a shake up, or a viscious kicking that went a bit too far.

But the crux is that we don't have masses of heroes already running around - we are the new generation, the heroes to be, with no mega heros waiting in the wings to save the day, get the girl, and sell you the t-shirt.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i think that set the time just right. just as theyve done with sto. that way cannon cant be changed, but on the flip side they cant always be ruled by it.
    they can make new lore ofr the realm :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    StormShade wrote:
    Don't worry... There will be certain names which players will be unable to use when naming their characters. I would imagine certain Dark Elves and pipe living wizards will be among the names players won't be able to use.

Thanks,

Stormshade

What about the variation that poped up even in DDO...Drrizzt, Driizzt, Drizzzt, etc
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Stuntie wrote: »
    Too much high level hign magic baggage with the old FR, so WOTC needed to move it on and shake it up. Jury is still out in my mind though whether it got just a shake up, or a viscious kicking that went a bit too far.

But the crux is that we don't have masses of heroes already running around - we are the new generation, the heroes to be, with no mega heros waiting in the wings to save the day, get the girl, and sell you the t-shirt.

High level magic fit the setting: it was a world that existed tens of thousands of years before a character showed up.

I see 4e as the least developed and least fitting Realms version.

However, the devs could make it shine. There's no place but up, IMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    StormShade wrote:

Thanks,

Stormshade

So I can't be xxdrizzzt1xx? /sigh...I worked hard thinking that one up. :(

*ducks from the flying dagger which goes 'thunk' into the wall*

I'm J/K :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Needle wrote: »
    *ducks from the flying dagger which goes 'thunk' into the wall, severs the rope restraining the chandelier, which crashes down imprisoning Needle for all to mock!*

fixed that for you ;)

And I like the time setting too. It gives them wiggle room to establish a new storyline
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DarkShrike wrote: »
    And I like the time setting too. It gives them wiggle room to establish a new storyline

Time setting is what it has to be. I don't think there was any room for discussion there. I don't see the point in bemoaning that.

I do think there is room for a good game and a good story out of it. I hated the violence done to the realms as much as the next FR fanboi, but I've argued from the first time I saw that Neverwinter was "destroyed" in 4e that it still left room for dungeon crawls and exploration of what's left. The rebuilding idea is quite interesting actually. Doesn't fit as well with coop in my mind, as it would with an open world, but I hold out hope that I may be surprised.

- Bar
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not a fan of 4e Forgotten realms.

Wizards of the Coast decided to rebrand their entire line of products under this "pillars of light" design principle--which is marketing gobbledygoo for saying that want their line of products to be similar and, thus, increase brand identity.

Except their "pillars of light" design is the epitome of every design out there and incredibly generic.

What it meant for consumers is that every campaign setting being touched in 4th edition is being torn apart and dismantled to all feel the same. Every setting is being shoehorned into this box, regardless of whether it fits.

I agree wholehertedly. It all smacks too much of marketing and increasing sales than good fantasy. Granted, I've always spent most of my time in FR campaigns over the decades but had some really memorable ones with Dragonlance and Planescape too. I do enjoy the Spellplague concept though - particulary with Szass Tam's angle. He was always my favourite villain, though I wish he remained the sole domain of Jean Rabe as she writes him the best. However the 4e mechanics are...enh. It also seems like a lot of the longtime writers just don't seem that into it either. Now it's more about churning out schlock for a fast buck. Not that it didn't exist before, but now it seems more the modus operandi than ever. In some ways I still wish TSR was around and calling the shots.