test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something more to do

sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
edited October 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
Is there something you can do other than waiting once or twice a week for a TOMM session? I am asking something where i have to actually pay attention to?

Why don't the dev's introduce a weekly or daily rewards where groups who beat a certain dungeon within a specific time are rewarded. Or a certain amount of damage/dps/healing and damage taken. They could also give rewards to players who 2 man LOMM and etc. It'll just open so many ways where players are using the same resources but with a different goal. After you reach a certain point in game, it just seems like a chore of daily and randoms.

Am i the only one feeling this way? Any suggestions other than "get naked and go do TOMM if you want a challenge". Like, i really put all that effort into my gear to just go naked. I actually know a person who isn't geared because he believes the game becomes dull and he has nearly 80mil AD in his account and fully BiS char.

Edit: Just to clarify after reading some weird comments. In no way did i state that the dev's should cater to BiS, i mean please for goodness sake, read above carefully. I clearly mentioned "weekly or daily rewards" and even "LOMM". TOMM was just an example of what i am currently facing because i can only so speak for myself. All in all, the point is that, should the dev's include challenges or tasks that really tests the players? It is basically using the same resources and with a little reward and applicable to everyone. Those scores can go on boards and etc, players can even be rated. I ask a Non-Bis player, other than making 100's of alts, and repeated daily and random chores, tell me something fun you do? If you call those daily chores fun, so be it, i don't and i am here to voice my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Post edited by sobi#1980 on

Comments

• frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    That's the problem with gearing for the latest end-game thing. There's little else to do.
    This is one of the reasons why some people start new characters and classes. Can even be for the same end-game content. Some people even have a character or two they work their way through campaigns with while resisting the temptation to gear up.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I think it all comes down to what we want out of the game. Some play it to do the hardest dungeons, some play it for the campaigns, etc. If all you are playing it for is to reach the end game dungeon, then yes there is very little for you to do. I on the other hand play to gear up my 18 characters, so I have lots to run with WEs, MEs and FEs, and I really have no desire to run TOMM or even LOMM.
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited October 2019

That's the problem with gearing for the latest end-game thing. There's little else to do.
    This is one of the reasons why some people start new characters and classes. Can even be for the same end-game content. Some people even have a character or two they work their way through campaigns with while resisting the temptation to gear up.

But there is only so much 1 dungeon can do for so long to sate end game players. I am not being ungrateful or anything but we/dev need to come up with a solution that requires the same resources to be used but with a different angel. Basically, think outside the box.

I was just talking to my friend about 2 manning LOMM because i heard it was done already and would be fun to see. We started discussing which 2 classes to take and etc and LOMM just became a whole new world for a minute or two of our discussion. Don't you agree? But 2 manning without any rewards or competition will get boring after 1-2 tries. Not asking for rewards as absurd as TOMM but like 10-20 preserwation wards or few enchanting stones or a mark, so much stuff that'll give us incentive to run these challenges. Maybe an average player who thinks TOMM is not his or her thing (a lot of them), may gear up for LOMM challenges and that should benefit the game if the player spends some cash on the way.

Right now, the jump between LOMM/CR etc to TOMM is enormous and TOMM requires 10 fully experienced BiS players. That's just impossible to organise for some people because of time zones. Hell pit seems like we'll have something more to do but the game needs something else on the long run. The dev's will not be able to sate us with new week full of content and nothing for the rest of 4 months.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    There still is only around 1% of the playerbase that bothers with ToMM.

Spending mass development time to satisfy a small group of players that already got everything anyways does not sound like a good prioritization.
  • xenocide#6119 xenocide Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Have you tried running the k-team dungeons?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    I played 6 characters and that usually can occupy all the time until the next mod lands.
    However, mod 17 is more or less nothing. I finished 5 characters early and has one character left so that I can complete it any time I want (only need 2 FE to go).
    What am I doing these days? Workshop. Working on making all profession of 12 characters to level 80. That could be finished way before mod 18 (since there is not even news about mod 18).
    Kind of boring but the rest is also boring at the moment.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    After all the abuse and forum anger about the devs catering to BIS players and only having Tomm available in the newest mod, you seriously want them to go further on that tangent right now and again cater to BIS crowd because they may be able to run a dungeon as a 2 man team or solo?

yeah i can see how that would go well with most of the community
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    Sorry, I totally misread your original post.

I think Neverwinter's so odd when it comes to this. You'd think after all these modules, there'd be this vast assortment of content for everyone, but there's not. It's fascinating how much of a game's success hinges on one or two core design choices.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Or killing the wrong choices.
    While we have tomm now, a lot of people were busier a while ago with guild progression - guild mark farming - MW - foundry, capping with RQs (or capping all their alts even before) and farming dungs during specific times, there is a significant drop in alternative stuff to do.

On the other hand, k-team was not that much of a big shot, was it? I did some, unsuccessful as it often was, and for what? Instantly knowing that this is some kinda meh armor that's really not worth the hassle?
    The rewards on NW are either underwhelming or bad RNG.

That RAD are even easier capped now by running what the kids call RTQ now is not something I appreciate that much to be honest.
    Salvage was a more engaging way to earn AD, and did the account-wide AD cap really make things better, other than reduce the amount of AD circulating, which I highly doubt... ?

And they don't want us to run stuff solo/duo or HAMSTER. The best thing would be: we take 5 hours exploring a dung with a whole trinity team, so we can't make money or ask for more content.
    I like solo-ing (or liked, now it really depends...) stuff and sometimes inviting for last boss or stuff like that, but yeah, its not worth the effort because the gameplay is not as engaging as I was used to for so long. It's not really that fun anymore. While I got completely used to my new HR or whatever it is now, its simply not what it used to be. Before M16 it was MY HR, now its just the standard combat HR and yeah, its fine or whatever.
    Soloing now has the same kind of meh-feeling as progressing MW or stuff like that, when you know its not really any useful.
    Maybe it just took me longer to see what was normal before lol.

But you could make a lot of AD with guild marks, still can of course, but that was something easily advertiseable to newer players, guild and alliance. They jumped on the wagon, people were meeting up, stuff was to be done. Couldn't wait for the next 2x and HAMSTER like that. We ran BHEs in SH often, whole alliance, solo'd it and let the noobs take a hit, show them around. I knew which ppl had unlocked which MW and who to hit up for some mat or the other.
    (Yeah you can get people to do it still, but the incentive was there two mods ago. Now, its mostly out of boredom. "Hey! Let's run something!!")

TL;DR It's not just the endgame dung. M16 could be done pretty fast, no hunts, no trophys, no need to do anything but unlock MEs and run MEs. M17 just never happened for me. I got the ca comp gear, and now that even drops in MEs, so I won't ever do it again. What they changed about professions in M15 is already in the trash. AI is well... AI. All we had content wise in the last months was Undermountain and Ravenloft + Lomm, Tomm, CR. And bank heist, because it looks like it HAMSTER my neat queues up for me.
    In retrospect, Ravenloft was pretty neat. You know, except for the dung. Was that ever fixed?
    - bye bye -
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    What I would want out of the game is more stuff that I can do on my main rather then be forced to do an alt just because nothing more to do.
    I also noticed that they come up with some nice and good ideas but do not decide to continue adding on to the idea but rather do another idea where the last idea is in the past.
    Take k-team dungeons as an example the idea was good and enjoyable however like others will say you really got nothing from it but something a bit harder to try.
    Then they came up with mod 16 and well k-team dungeons are a bit left in the past now.
    How many people really run k-team dungeons outside of everything else?
    The issue with the game has been the same from the time I started playing.
    End game has nothing and that kills me because the game is fun and yet when you are at that point what else is there to do?
    Same old expeditions over and over thats it?
    A trail that only 1% can run thats it?
    Dungeons for AD that when you get so much AD you start to question if its worth really getting AD an more.
    I look at my toons 3 of them 1 warlock 1 pally and 1 GF and I realize wow I have enough unrefined AD that I can just refine 100K a day for the next 3 months and not run 1 single dungeon.
    When it gets this bad you just sit and go why am I even running a dungeon and then you realize why.
    Because if you dont then you have nothing else to do so why not login.
    This to some might be not true but to me it is very true.
    For me I have to wait for mod 18 in hopes that it gives me something to do to pass the time and I am sure it end up being done in less then a few months after and again back where we started.
  • akuarmotonakuarmoton Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    so basically you just want more free stuff.
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited October 2019

so basically you just want more free stuff.

"Free stuff". Jeez, you don't say for a free to play game. Unless you're a trustee of a company that owns this game, i would quietly leave this forum thread, you troublemaker.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I have been coming to this realization too for the last couple of months.
    I have my main, a warlock, who, may not be BiS by any stretch of the imagination, but I got her to 24k iLevel, which i was somewhat proud of.
    The alliance I am in, we used to run Marauders, Dragonflight and before Cryptic changed the requirements, Stronghold Siege PvP on Saturday evenings.
    We had a lot of fun. We used to tease each other how many times we would die in Dragonflight. Or trash talk in Siege.
    One member of our alliance would even hold a raffle after the events and all the guild leaders would donate stuff, mounts, companions, artifact sets, so newer players can gear up somewhat.
    We would hold dungeon crawls, we would start with Graycloack Tower and end with Castle Never. Teach newer players the mechanics and help them get gear from those. Get the alliance together for a demogorgon run, sometimes we had to turn people down or form two groups, but we had tons of fun. Like dropping simril gifts on each other during a Malabog castle run in the courtyard before you face the blue dragon for the first time.
    We joked with each other, chatted, and had a blast.

But, with the lack of interest from Cryptic, and "bread crumb" like "fixes" to the warlock class, my main toon hasn't been that fun to play anymore. I decided put her aside in favor of my cleric alt.
    Now, when I first picked up my cleric again, I was quite content with running her through stuff that she hadn't finished, and there was alot. :p
    Finishing AI, Undermountain, Chult, etc...
    And, my alliance, which isn't tremendously huge, we always had people on, and a good number of new players. So that was the reason I picked up my cleric because people were needing healing in MEs and dungeons.

Now... for the last couple of weeks, my alliance has seen a dramatic drop in participation. Sometimes there might 4 or 5 people on at any one time. Newer players are rare.
    And I am starting to think that I'm just playing Neverwinter for the sake of playing, there is nothing to do anymore.
    We had a couple of alliance ToMM runs, but really nothing like running Castle Never for the Orcus shard.
    Or getting the alliance together to run ToNG, the camaraderie isn't there anymore.

The content has been, uninspiring to say it politely, for a long while now. Nothing meaningful has come out. The latest content takes maybe a week or so to complete and then it's nothing but run some repeating stuff over and over. That's tedious and monotonous. So, people have left.
    I used to be able to sign on in the evening, and the alliance chat channel was buzzing with people saying they were running MEs, or what. Now, its just crickets.
    I could login, say hello in alliance chat and not get a response at all. :'(

So, now I find myself running my cleric alt, and thinking why? No one is on anymore to help. No one is on running any content. So what is there to do?

If the powers that be at Cryptic ( @mimicking#6533, @nitocris83) are intent of making a fun game, someone should take a really really hard look at whats going on in game. Not just look at statistical numbers they are dumping off the database.

See whats going on in PE, or Chult or where ever.

Sneak in, and open up zone chat and see whats being said.

I might give it a little more time, there is a new event approaching that's on the in-game calendar called Pit of Hell, that sounds intriguing.
    But, if this event is bugged like almost every event they have put up since the summer of 2018, this is not going to bode well.

Sorry for the wall of text everyone, just had to voice my feelings.
    Thanks.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    Since RQ was introduced, the guild activities died off. In my opinion, RQ killed the camaraderie.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    I'm in the same alliance as @rifter1969 . He's right, the number of players online in our alliance have crashed. I'm even partly to blame, as all of last week I was playing something else out of desperation for something -- anything -- new to experience. I have I think 19 alts, and while there is technically always something for me to do, doing for example Cloaked Ascendancy dailies on alts #8 and #10 and SKT dailies on alt #19 just aren't all that appealing.

It isn't just our alliance, though. Two nights ago I had alt #19 in Omu, and the Tyrant HE popped. There was a grand total of 8 players in Omu in the one and only instance, and only three of us were there to engage it at the start. It's become something of a running joke in Chult: someone will say something like "KoS up", someone else will ask which instance, and the answer will often be that there is only one. That's how bad it has gotten. There just isn't any novelty to keep people interested and a lot have left.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • merik1999merik1999 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    I think if you have 19 alts and 80 million AD, then you play too much. Yes I am judging. I do play a lot and have been playing for about 3+ years and I am no where near ready for TOMM for any of my 3 characters. But maybe you really are playing way too much and this is a nice wakeup call for you. I think the content is pretty good for about at least 80% of the player base. If you are bored because you can 2 man LOMM then you NEED some change in your life. spice things up. play other games if you need to. but you are just spending way too much time on one thing...
    Hope this helps :)
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    It is fairly normal that activity hits a low in the weeks before a new mod comes. At that point everyone is done with the content and just dumbly grinding, and in this case we got a double dose of grind since mod 17 content was just more expedition grinding.

There is this problem with too much of a good thing.

To follow their normal mod schedule, mod 18 should hit us before November 30th. Since it needs a few weeks on Test, mod 18 should be announced sometime the coming 2-3 weeks. That usually spikes interest in game again. Let's hope mod 18 is a big mod with lots of unscaled level 80 content, not a mini-mod like 16b was.

If mod 18 fail to appear on time.. expect a massive loss of players.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

I played 6 characters and that usually can occupy all the time until the next mod lands.
    However, mod 17 is more or less nothing. I finished 5 characters early and has one character left so that I can complete it any time I want (only need 2 FE to go).
    What am I doing these days? Workshop. Working on making all profession of 12 characters to level 80. That could be finished way before mod 18 (since there is not even news about mod 18).
    Kind of boring but the rest is also boring at the moment.

This is good advice.
    At some point, hopefully M18, Professions will get the proper L80 update that allows MC gear to be better than L80.
    I only just unlocked Alchemy MC3 last week. When I saw that pretty much everything in it was way below the L80 stuff I could already make, I chose to get as many alchemists to L80 as possible because I refuse to believe that MC won't be getting a lift very soon. (I hope they are not that negligent...)

I've heard the "What's the point of doing Professions... it's all HAMSTER." but it won't remain that way. So if you haven't already, and you feel stuck for something to do, get levelling up those artisans.
    I've got 8 doing L80/MC who need all their stuff levelling up and a new toon just starting on Professions, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    merik1999 said:

I think if you have 19 alts and 80 million AD, then you play too much. Yes I am judging. I do play a lot and have been playing for about 3+ years and I am no where near ready for TOMM for any of my 3 characters. But maybe you really are playing way too much and this is a nice wakeup call for you. I think the content is pretty good for about at least 80% of the player base. If you are bored because you can 2 man LOMM then you NEED some change in your life. spice things up. play other games if you need to. but you are just spending way too much time on one thing...
    Hope this helps :)

On the other hand, there are people that started the game with M16 that are already prepping for tomm.
    To assume others spend too much time on a game is a moot point when you are also spending time on the game and even taking the time to talk on a forum about how much time others are spending playing the game.
    I usually played in the evening and am judging how you can spend 3+ years on 3 alts alone.
    Not really, tho. I don't care. But you do realize that ppl might play this game differently and maybe more goal-oriented than others?

About MW: I could actually see myself spending more time on MW if:
    a) I didn't remember devs saying M15 that MW stuff will be BIS for a while (like tomm weaps now) and yeah... ahem.
    b) It wasn't as much of an AD drain for semi useful stuff from the get-go (we do not know the new recipes and what they are about. If Tomm weaps for example is supposed to remain BIS, there are already some options gone.)
    c) they reworked it M15! that's not that long ago. They reworked all that stuff and it was pointless a mod later. How do I ignore that?
    d) the bugged potions. I mean. I will not unlock alchemy on my sidetoons so I can do useless junk. Jewelcrafting? What about the rest, tho? I don't have faith in good MW gear tbh.

It is a good time to unlock stuff with low prices on mats and whatnot, of course. But I do not have 80 mil to spare for something that will be nice for max 3 months.
    But yeah, what else to do. The good thing about professions rn is, that I can chat beside it. No need to stop right in the middle of sphere-dragging in bank heist to answer to a new guild member or whatever. I'm available as soon and as long as I'm online lol.
    - bye bye -
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User

There still is only around 1% of the playerbase that bothers with ToMM.

Spending mass development time to satisfy a small group of players that already got everything anyways does not sound like a good prioritization.

It's "corporate strategy" to create a group or have and have nots. So that the have nots get jealous and spend money to catch up to the others.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts