test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Icewind Pass issues

caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
edited August 2019 in Bug Reports (PC)
Over the past 24 hours while having my characters in Icewind Dale running the Legacy Campaign Weekly, I have not been able to switch between characters but have been completely and automatically logged out of the game instead, even though that was not my intent. When I try to log back into the game, there is anywhere from a 60 second to two minute delay. I have also had most of my characters suddenly faction-bumped with a "mercenary contract expired" notification even though I was certainly not off-line for the 12 hours listed in said "mercenary contract". (I logged off at 3 AM last night and logged back on at 1 PM today.)

Regarding the totem HEs, there appears to be a severe lag spike in the HE area only combined with unresponsive Npcs who can be targeted by attacks, but there appears to be no way to inflict damage upon them... and my character repeatedly drops out of combat which causes the totem HE to reset as though I had never engaged it. There is also a giant that appears out of nowhere from outside of the HE zone and starts to attack me inside the HE zone even though it is not a part of the HE in question.
"Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited August 2019

Over the past 24 hours while having my characters in Icewind Dale running the Legacy Campaign Weekly, I have not been able to switch between characters but have been completely and automatically logged out of the game instead, even though that was not my intent.

That usually is account server timeout issue. When you switch character, the game client needs to talk to the account server to retrieve your character list. If the connection time out, you logout. In this case, it can be account server issue (such as busy) or networking issue.

When I try to log back into the game, there is anywhere from a 60 second to two minute delay.

This is probably related to account server connection I talked about.

I have also had most of my characters suddenly faction-bumped with a "mercenary contract expired" notification even though there is no time limit listed in said "mercenary contract".

There is a time limit of the contract based on the last time you went to the zone. I forget how long though. Probably, within 24 hours. I personally need to get a new contract every time I need to go there.

Regarding the totem HEs, there appears to be a severe lag spike in the HE area only combined with unresponsive Npcs who can be targeted by attacks, but there appears to be no way to inflict damage upon them... and my character repeatedly drops out of combat which causes the totem HE to reset as though I had never engaged it. There is also a giant that appears out of nowhere from outside of the HE zone and starts to attack me inside the HE zone even though it is not a part of the HE in question.

For the giant. there are giants wandering around all the time. If he happens to pass by and gets aggro, he will join the 'party'. That happens all the time. HE zone is not an isolated area. Outside mob comes in all the time if they are aggro.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    Regarding the logout of the game instead of to the character screen, due to the programming language cryptic has in effect Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley are tagged somewhat like an instanced dungeon, so the character has a 30 second wait before switching characters. If you try to switch characters you will get a 30 second timer message and wont be able to go to character screen until this timer passes, out of game. This is in most cases a measure to prevent cheating, although IWD would hardly fit into the same category as a dungeon.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User

Regarding the logout of the game instead of to the character screen, due to the programming language cryptic has in effect Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley are tagged somewhat like an instanced dungeon, so the character has a 30 second wait before switching characters. If you try to switch characters you will get a 30 second timer message and wont be able to go to character screen until this timer passes, out of game. This is in most cases a measure to prevent cheating, although IWD would hardly fit into the same category as a dungeon.

If I remember correctly, that 30 seconds wait applies to logout too. I don't think that was what he referred to because the message on the screen explained that pretty well.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The logout issue is because of the PvP zone. If it were implemented rationally, it would only trigger if you're flagged for PvP and it would trigger from trying to logout or change characters, not simply because you hit the Escape button, since there are very legitimate reasons to call up that menu that have nothing to do with logging out.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User

If I remember correctly, that 30 seconds wait applies to logout too. I don't think that was what he referred to because the message on the screen explained that pretty well.
    You do not remember correctly, you can log completely out of the game at any time. However, your character will remain in the game for 30 seconds if you are in a PVP or instanced dungeon and you will not be able to log back into the character select screen until that time passes.