test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proper notifications

2»

Comments

• namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    lardeson said:

Also devs dont need to worry about divulging details or about players finding exploits? As long as you play the game, you'll find bugs, its that simple, you dont need to specifically look for them, most of them are pretty easy to encounter, you just play the game and you encounter them. Its not like you are trying to find a coin in a desert, play the game and you'll encounter the bugs. Thats how its always been, no need to dramatize anything, with all due respect.

I play like almost every night and I did not know about the hunts bug until the ban waves started. Even if players find bugs on their own during normal play, many may not realize the exploitation potential of them. But if the devs start notifying the population, that will will enlighten them. And the devs don't even need to divulge much information. Just a hint that there is an exploitable bug will result in one group of players actively looking for them and another group so scared that they won't even go near the impacted runs. Neither situations are desirable to the devs.

And who is dramatizing? If anyone is dramatizing, it's the people asking, and sometimes demanding, such information from the devs.

• hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    So it is Tuesday Aug 27, 7AM server time, and I try to log in and the account server is down. I was in and out logging in and checking profession tool inventory on my characters (for the past 1-1/2 hours) and there were no messages seen. Why no notification that is visible as you log in/out? Another non-standard patch/upgrade/bounce of the servers. This is expected on Thursdays - only, every other time needs some sort of real notification sent to users. There is nothing on the forums announcing this either (not in Patch Notes, not in General, not in Feedback). Why?
  • hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    After quitting Neverwinter, the Arc launcher update window gives me the option to restart. Once again I press it and it tells me it *cannot* update because Neverwinter is still running (it is not), so I kill Arc and restart everything. I am greeted by the launch/patch interface with the following message in red:

"We will be performing shard maintenance on August 27 from 7-9 AM Pacific (14:00-16:00 UTC). Please check the forums."

Where in the Forums?? As stated in my message above, ***There is no notification in any of the PC forum categories***

[Edited] I went to the 'News & Announcements' Forum and there I see a message the Nitrocris is on sick leave until Sept 6 leaving @ambassadorkael#6946 in charge. Perhaps the rest of the support staff forgot to post the notifications???

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

So it is Tuesday Aug 27, 7AM server time, and I try to log in and the account server is down. I was in and out logging in and checking profession tool inventory on my characters (for the past 1-1/2 hours) and there were no messages seen. Why no notification that is visible as you log in/out? Another non-standard patch/upgrade/bounce of the servers. This is expected on Thursdays - only, every other time needs some sort of real notification sent to users. There is nothing on the forums announcing this either (not in Patch Notes, not in General, not in Feedback). Why?

Yeah, I'm sorry. I was busy this morning as well. :( I just got home. I didn't even know there was maintenance on PC today. :(
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User

After quitting Neverwinter, the Arc launcher update window gives me the option to restart. Once again I press it and it tells me it *cannot* update because Neverwinter is still running (it is not), so I kill Arc and restart everything. I am greeted by the launch/patch interface with the following message in red:

"We will be performing shard maintenance on August 27 from 7-9 AM Pacific (14:00-16:00 UTC). Please check the forums."

Where in the Forums?? As stated in my message above, ***There is no notification in any of the PC forum categories***

[Edited] I went to the 'News & Announcements' Forum and there I see a message the Nitrocris is on sick leave until Sept 6 leaving @ambassadorkael#6946 in charge. Perhaps the rest of the support staff forgot to post the notifications???

I actually think that is something they have been doing properly. When there is or will be a maintenance, on ur launcher, you have a highlighted red notification, which is visually noticeable at first glance, since its normally not there, and when trying to log in, it usually tells you that server is down. Also if ingame, it tells you that the server is going on maintenance 1 hr before it starts. As you can see, these are 3 ways of notification that are actually visible to everyone cos u dont have to go on the forums or social medias to see it.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • hellfire#6317 hellfire Member Posts: 1 New User
    I agree. Also, why is maintenance done in the day time when most do it in the middle of the night to avoid downtime for players?
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

I agree. Also, why is maintenance done in the day time when most do it in the middle of the night to avoid downtime for players?

I don't know what other games you play, but they do it when it's a convenient time for the dev team based on the location that the studio is in. Sleepy devs make more mistakes, and no matter what time they do it, it's going to be an inconvenience to someone in the world. So they should just do it at the best time for them. Every company for every MMO I've played does it this way.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png