test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thoughts on the Redone intro mission?

bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
Is it just me or does the reworked Intro mission feel shallower than the old one?
It feels like all the little bits that built charm and established the stakes in the story have been removed.
The old one, while slightly odd, had charm, got you invested and sympathetic toward a character who was clearly weaker than you, but just as brave then offs him established Valindra well as someone a real villian a foe to hate, not some nebulous evil. It felt personal.
This new one felt, perfunctory, like it wasn't made to draw players in, it was made to get it out of the way.

They even cut out the little exchange between Gothwin and Honor right before the guardian battle. That one line
"Honor, hurry up and get the crown, the guardian is waking up" established so much character, Gothwin being skittish and anxious, the fact that they must have snuck past the Guardian and plays off well against Honor's Taunt to you when she gets it. All that cut out.

it just feels so...empty now.
Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,135 Arc User
    Yeah it just seems to me they keep dumbing down things to an almost nonsensical state. It seems like the powers that be are really trying to make NW an action arcade like game and doing there best to kill the RP part of it.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited August 2019

It seems like the powers that be are really trying to make NW an action arcade like game and doing there best to kill the RP part of it.

A by the numbers action game with the DnD name drops and very little of the substance of the game it's based on.

A video game won't 100% be able to replicate the creativity of a DM, so some creative liberties are to be expected.

But to someone with the barest passing knowledge of DnD, it feels wrong to have (practically) nonexistent feats, ability rolls that don't matter, dungeon traps that are laughed at, and character power largely being determined by "what Power increase is on the gear pieces?" rather than thinking about additional item properties like being cursed, among other things that are DnD in name.
    Post edited by rjc9000 on