test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thought I’d come back - but as what class?

Hello everyone.

Played Neverwinter years ago but never got in depth in much of the content.

Now I’ve come back and I’m wanting to get serious this time around (admittedly was hoping a Druid class would have dropped by now *shrug*).

So currently I’m torn on which class to play as namely Cleric, Ranger and Wizard. Don’t really have the time for too many toons at the moment, and as 2 of the 3 are dps/dps id lean more towards Cleric for dps/healer.

However, stats wise it seems that an arbiter would go for more intelligence and the healer would focus on wisdom, so would I have to change my stats when I would want to change between the 2 specs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and any suggestion for which class I should play coming back is also welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    I'll not suggest a class ( I almost exclusively play clerics/paladins and can't comment on ranger/wizard in the current meta), but will say that it sounds like you left before load-outs. You ccan now have loadouts for different play styles. You will pick you stats and skills based on the style/paragon you want and can switch to the other at any campfire at no cost. Unfortunately, it has been so long I don't recall if you only get one free loadout or two of them. Maybe someone else could chime in.
  • Options
    rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    You get 1 extra loadout at lvl 30 so you can (had can't lol) swap anytime you want between dps/healer at a campfire.

I can't tell you what to play because i may like different stuff but to me:
    Cleric used to be one of my mains, it is one of the 2 best healers in the game but i don't like the dps mechanic, to me it feels boring stacking pips to increase dmg.
    And between the wizard and the ranger there isn't too much difference aside 1 beeing ranged and the other melee (yeah ranger is only viable as a warden)

(Ps.: i've been playing a lot of ranger lately and sometimes some encounters bug and don't do dmg btw)
    Post edited by rev#7881 on
  • Options
    mikaleus#7208 mikaleus Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Thanks very much for the replies.
    > @zephyriah said:
    > I'll not suggest a class ( I almost exclusively play clerics/paladins and can't comment on ranger/wizard in the current meta), but will say that it sounds like you left before load-outs. You ccan now have loadouts for different play styles. You will pick you stats and skills based on the style/paragon you want and can switch to the other at any campfire at no cost. Unfortunately, it has been so long I don't recall if you only get one free loadout or two of them. Maybe someone else could chime in.

Oh this is great. Also any advice about clerics is valuable cause I am leaning towards the class, then wizard then ranger in order of preference.

> @revenantpt said:
    > You get 1 extra loadout at lvl 30 so you can't swap anytime you want between dps/healer.
    >
    > I can't tell you what to play because i may like different stuff but to me:
    > Cleric used to be one of my mains, it is one of the 2 best healers in the game but i don't like the dps mechanic, to me it feels boring stacking pips to increase dmg.
    > And between the wizard and the ranger there isn't too much difference aside 1 beeing ranged and the other melee (yeah ranger is only viable as a warden)
    >
    >
    > (Ps.: i've been playing a lot of ranger lately and sometimes some encounters bug and don't do dmg btw)

Thanks for the heads up about the ranger. What do you main now?
  • Options
    rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Still trying to find that out (used to be cleric/fighter).

Aside from the barbarian i've played all of them since mod 16 was released, right now i'm left with Rogue, Ranger, Warlock (btw Wizard is really good but gives me the feeling of making things too easy).

Rogue and ranger are just fun to play ... and warlock well lets say it is that child that doesn't excel at anything but to me it has the best healing mechanics, unfortunately it also has the worst healing.
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

I can't tell you what to play because i may like different stuff but to me:
    Cleric used to be one of my mains, it is one of the 2 best healers in the game but i don't like the dps mechanic, to me it feels boring stacking pips to increase dmg.

I love this... that one thing can be both hated and loved at the same time.

I hardly ever played Cleric before, just a back up for guild/alliance runs when no one else wanted to be a healer...
    But I think their new Mana mechanism is loads of fun. (But I play quite a lot on Warlock, and our Soul Spark/Soul Scorch Mana mechanic is complete HAMSTER gravy at the moment.)
    I actually enjoy playing my Cleric for DPS now. Which is something I never expected to say.
  • Options
    > @mordekai#1901 said:
    > I can't tell you what to play because i may like different stuff but to me:
    > Cleric used to be one of my mains, it is one of the 2 best healers in the game but i don't like the dps mechanic, to me it feels boring stacking pips to increase dmg.
    >
    >
    > I love this... that one thing can be both hated and loved at the same time.
    >
    > I hardly ever played Cleric before, just a back up for guild/alliance runs when no one else wanted to be a healer...
    > But I think their new Mana mechanism is loads of fun. (But I play quite a lot on Warlock, and our Soul Spark/Soul Scorch Mana mechanic is complete <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gravy at the moment.)
    > I actually enjoy playing my Cleric for DPS now. Which is something I never expected to say.

Cleric may have won. Unless someone makes a good case for wizard 🤣

Thanks for alternate view on Arbiter
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

Cleric may have won. Unless someone makes a good case for wizard 🤣

Thanks for alternate view on Arbiter

Wizard is probably best overall for pure damage output.

My 20-21K Thaumaturge can clear a one Rune master Expedition as fast as my 23k Rogue because he melts mobs and he's just standard stats with no great attention paid to his build. Wizards really kick HAMSTER post Mod 16...

On an Expedition I just walk past everything, pulling aggro, till I find one of the three Relics I'm looking for or hit a door, then let all the monsters catch up, and melt about 16-20 in one go. I don't know where half of the damage comes from but for about three or four seconds the screen is a sea of orange numbers followed by three or four monsters standing there on about 25% hit points that need polishing off.

I imagine those people who really know the class and build it properly are getting mega numbers of DPS.

But... wizards still do that awkward "combat stance" walk like they crapped their pants.
  • Options
    Did a 360 and went back to Ranger.

Figure it’s the closest thing to a Druid I’ll get to play in Neverwinter for now.

Massive thanks to everyone who replied.