test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to manage divinity

chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
With Devout I find myself continually running out. What to do?

Comments

• vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    Don’t heal unnecessarily, always be channeling while not healing if the fight is healing intensive and your divinity isn’t topped off, and don’t use more than one healing divinity-spender unless you must for some reason.

You can also boost your outgoing healing % to increase efficiency (more HP restored per divinity spent), but simply remembering to prioritize channeling is a big change in behavior from past mods. Many Devout players are still stuck in the old habit of spamming At-Wills as if they could fill their divinity that way, but At-Wills are now what you use if your divinity is fine, but you channel if you need to recover it and don’t wait until you’re low.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    vorphied said:

Don’t heal unnecessarily, always be channeling while not healing if the fight is healing intensive and your divinity isn’t topped off, and don’t use more than one healing divinity-spender unless you must for some reason.

You can also boost your outgoing healing % to increase efficiency (more HP restored per divinity spent), but simply remembering to prioritize channeling is a big change in behavior from past mods. Many Devout players are still stuck in the old habit of spamming At-Wills as if they could fill their divinity that way, but At-Wills are now what you use if your divinity is fine, but you channel if you need to recover it and don’t wait until you’re low.

My outgoing healing is already 25%.

Take Arcturia for example. The tank always needs heals and then I am also expected to help with mimics. Then the cocoon phase occurs. After all that I am basically out of divinity, but tank still needs heals and channeling divinity is so slow I cannot replenish it in time for next mimics phase.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    chemjeff said:

vorphied said:

My outgoing healing is already 25%.

Take Arcturia for example. The tank always needs heals and then I am also expected to help with mimics. Then the cocoon phase occurs. After all that I am basically out of divinity, but tank still needs heals and channeling divinity is so slow I cannot replenish it in time for next mimics phase.
    1. Tell your tank to block once in a while. I know it sounds flippant, but a lot of tanks either don't block at all or waste their block on the small damage.

2. 25% outgoing is fine. You can go higher, but if you're still having difficulty at 25%, it's probably better to look at the underlying cause than to patch it up with more outgoing healing.

3. Don't use a spender on Mimics. Slot Geas, save the Guardian of Faith daily, throw on a Doohickey, and/or hope that your tank can do some damage since you should be helping each other on the mimics.

4. If you still feel like you have Divinity issues, slot Divine Glow for added help.

My Devout has 50.3% Outgoing Healing, and I don't feel that I need Divine Glow anymore with this kind of overkill, but I used to run it when I had lower Outgoing Healing and frankly was not yet accustomed to the practice of always-be-channeling if divinity wasn't close to full.

It bears repeating: don't wait until you are getting low on divinity to channel. Channel all the time, because your At-Wills contribute no meaningful boss damage. During a fight like Arcturia with an iffy tank, you should default to channeling after you cast every heal unless your gauge is full.

If you aren't already, I would suggest going with Bastion of Health as your main heal. Healing Word is hypothetically more efficient when you factor in the HoT component, but it has a much higher upfront cost and in practice rarely pays for itself since its ticks are wasted on full HP players and are insufficient to crisis-heal someone. For Arcturia I typically run Bastion as primary heal, Intercession for a resource-free heal and so that I can be lazy when a cocoon hits, and Geas for Bronzewood debuff and for Mimics.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    ^^

If you want to try a different approach, you can also be pretty effective if you use the healing word + bastion combo and the right feat combinations. Try getting heals extend healing word duration, +heals at max divinity, and +divinity regen after a spender.

You start a battle at max divinity, pop healing word while everyone is closeby and you're at max divnity. Then channel to soak up that +divinity regen.

Then pop bastion for heals and HW duration refersh + channel.

As long as you channel after nearly every spender, you can generally stay at 80%+ divinity and keep everyone nice and topped off. Hallowed Ground daily is also nice with this strategy, since every tick counts as a heal and refreshes HW duration.
  • odt#4182 odt Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    for Arcturia in lomm i use bastion, intercession, divine glow,
    if more dps is needed for the mimics swap divine glow for geas,
    but it's better to have dg since there's alot of healing if you can manage to kill the mimics with the tank in time.
    Use intercession only for the cocooned player it fills them up most of their health & costs no divinity
    and with a bastion if needed, usually 3-4 bastions can fill them up but its a very fast timer and costs alot,
    intersession is great at that point and a huge heal.
    if you have trouble healing the cocoons up maybe try exalt instead of dg but i like the divnity that dg gives in that fight.
    also the class features i use the 150 more divinity and the walking prayers to be able to move abit while recharging,
    that one is useful also at the worm boss.
    hope it helps abit
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

but tank still needs heals

The other party needs to take some responsibility as well, they cannot just keep ignoring all the high damage and stand there hoping that you have to heal whatever is thrown at them. I have seen this in plenty PUGS, when they inevitably start saying "you are a bad healer" then do not accept this and tell them what they are doing wrong (politely or impolitely).
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

chemjeff said:

but tank still needs heals

The other party needs to take some responsibility as well, they cannot just keep ignoring all the high damage and stand there hoping that you have to heal whatever is thrown at them. I have seen this in plenty PUGS, when they inevitably start saying "you are a bad healer" then do not accept this and tell them what they are doing wrong (politely or impolitely).
    I've only healed LoMM a few times but it's not all that bad to heal through. The only issue I had is on the second boss when the dps allowed it to hit 15 gigawatt stacks and than 20+. I left that group as the DPS did not really understand game mechanics.

As the old healing saying goes, I can't heal stupid.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    If your party doesn't need to be healed right away, pray (this gives you AP as well as more divinity), if your divinity is full, then you can use at-wills to do damage. Know how much you can heal for and wait to cast the heal until most of that heal will actually be used so you don't over heal and waste divinity. If you are in a group that needs a lot of healing, slot divine glow to help with divinity regen.
  • kydavi#1678 kydavi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

If your party doesn't need to be healed right away, pray (this gives you AP as well as more divinity), if your divinity is full, then you can use at-wills to do damage. Know how much you can heal for and wait to cast the heal until most of that heal will actually be used so you don't over heal and waste divinity. If you are in a group that needs a lot of healing, slot divine glow to help with divinity regen.

I second, if you aren’t healing you should be praying and you should never use divinity on Devout to do damage.
    kydavi

Main: Nidara Devilspawn- Ranger
    Alt: Aradin Coldblood- Fighter
    Alt: Lucrezia Vileborn- Warlock
  • aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    Mod 17: Bastion -> Pray -> Bastion -> Pray

repeat ad infinitum or until you fall asleep. Divine glow when it's available. Never spend tons of divinity without praying regularly unless you absolutely need to spam Bastion to keep someone alive.

Mod 16: At-Wills (slot a tenebrous if you got one, one maxed radiant less is only about 1 - 2% less outgoing healing or so) or Daunting Light work fine, pray when you can, ideally you're using up all your divinity just when the boss is at 0% health. Not really worth the trouble in a high DPS group... good enough for Malabog RQ and stuff just make sure you got decent armor penetration.