test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Clarification on terminology.

mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
I was going through my characters' bags and vaults, and came across something I'd forgotten I had...
Epic Slyblade Kobold... and then I remembered... I was saving him for Mod 16 to possibly use on my old CW.

So I had another read of his Bonus Power... "Increases Encounter Damage against Disabled or Held opponents by 8%"
That's not bad so... wait... hold on... what does that actually mean?
Disabled or Held?

My Wizard does a pretty mean Freeze trick... the things he Freezes certainly Look disabled... and Held... but given the way NWO likes to avoid releasing specifics on its rules, I thought, "Hmm... maybe they aren't the same? Maybe being Frozen doesn't count as Disabled or Held, because they might be very specific terms for very specific Game Effects?"

I got used to CC terminology being something of a lottery pre Mod 16, particularly with my Paladin who had a Legendary Sylph and was built on masses of CC Resist, but still seemed to get "Held" and "Paralysed" far more than I felt was right... but now in the shiny world of Mod 16 it would be nice if we could start off with some better clarity on this rather important part of the game, (Terminology... not Kobolds...).

Does anyone know of a source that explains this stuff?
I'm not talking about a link to a 3 year old Reddit that never answered the question either, I mean does anyone KNOW, generally which terms overlap on CC and and other Combat Effects, and more specifically, what the Hell does a Slyblade Kobolds Bonus Power actually DO?

(Tom was kind enough to elaborate on how all the different names they use for monsters when referencing them in information and feedback all essentially mean the same thing, so can we get the same for the rest of the game?)

Comments

• silverwolf#7884 silverwolf Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    I have long-since made the point about ambiguous text, clarity seems to be somthing that they don't put effort into.

One of the biggest problems is that Crpytic know what they mean and assume that because it makes sense to them it must make sense to everyone else - but that's not the case.
    Adding "Held", "Prone", "Stun" etc to At-Will, Encounter, Daily powers etc will go a long way to helping out in the scanario of the original poster.

As the consumer I shouldn't have to test every type of power on every class in the game to discover information that the manufacturers should be providing.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

I have long-since made the point about ambiguous text, clarity seems to be somthing that they don't put effort into.

One of the biggest problems is that Crpytic know what they mean and assume that because it makes sense to them it must make sense to everyone else - but that's not the case.
    Adding "Held", "Prone", "Stun" etc to At-Will, Encounter, Daily powers etc will go a long way to helping out in the scanario of the original poster.

As the consumer I shouldn't have to test every type of power on every class in the game to discover information that the manufacturers should be providing.

Since I took (very) early retirement I occasionally do odd jobs for colleges and training companies I used to work with, translating the Training Materials they write for Vocational Courses into a language the people taking the courses can understand. So I know that sense of "Well... I understand what it means and I wrote it, so it should be obvious to everyone what it means."

It's amazing how much better a business does when it's customers have a clear and unambiguous understanding of the products and services they are using.
    (It's 2019 and I'm actually still having to make this point...)