test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

latest PC tweak that really worked.

tyraeldragontyraeldragon Member Posts: 89 Arc User
As a PC technician of some 30+ years I don't usually try tweaking my PC, I just sunk a boatload of tax refund into my new one. It runs all the bells and whistles fine. I did notice some issues that did not seem server related I wanted to address. Mostly hitching when my SSD's were accessing.

To begin with always back up your PC before trying any of this. Windows system restore works great and it can be your best friend. There are other very good and free backup tools that are more effective and safer. Google system restore to learn how.

The first and most effective thing I did was to overprovision my SSD's. Seagate has some information that goes into much better detail than I could here so check this out before you continue. (click here)

With that in mind most brands of SSD's come overprovisioned already, my Samsung did not. Most come with companion software. It is HIGHLY suggested you use their software to overprovision. There are other ways if you do not have their software which I can go into detail about if anyone wants me to.

So after doing this and a quick trim (a special type of defrag just for SSD's) my hitching problems are gone. In fact my whole system is far more responsive. Keep in mind also you should never use a traditional defrag program on SSD's, since there is a finite number of writes they can do this will kill them in no time.

I hope my knowledge on this subject was useful to some of you and happy gaming!
Icon_Build_Player_Paladin.png?version=425daf687d67683e0250b6ec43a2ee72

Hail and Kill,
Ulfrik Dragonsyre
Hero of Neverwinter
Retribution Paladin of the realm
Member of Tyrs Palladium Guild
Raising quality Dragons for mounts and pets

Comments

• tyraeldragontyraeldragon Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I have a couple of other Neverwinter exclusive tweaks also if you would like to try them. Please let me know.
    Icon_Build_Player_Paladin.png?version=425daf687d67683e0250b6ec43a2ee72

Hail and Kill,
    Ulfrik Dragonsyre
    Hero of Neverwinter
    Retribution Paladin of the realm
    Member of Tyrs Palladium Guild
    Raising quality Dragons for mounts and pets