test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does anyone have a mod16 Wizard build?

commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
Does anyone have a mod16 CW build?

The preview changed so many times and I have no idea about the latest recomemnded stats ot wizard build.
stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!

Comments

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Int and Cha, Dex as your tertiary.

Play Thaumaturge until you get the hang of the changes.

You need 60k ArP, Crit, Accuracy and a bunch of Combat Advantage. Don’t completely ignore Defence.
    At level 80, the goal is 72k approx for those same stats.

If you were 16k plus your probably not changing your gear until the end of Vanrakdoom, and even then damage bonus or cooldown reduction gear is still highly desirable.

You probably want a Vorpal for your Weapon Enchant now.

When you are above level 70 your Boons, Artifacts, Weapon Damage, and Equip Powers are not scaled, use them to get to (or as close as) 57k for ArP, Crit, Accuracy etc. for scaled content (ie all level 70 content).
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • marrghaan#7894 marrghaan Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    so far i see charisma absolutely useless... im wondering would int / dex be better build
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User

so far i see charisma absolutely useless... im wondering would int / dex be better build

A high Charisma plus the recovery speed boon can get you close to 10% cooldown reduction time. Enough to take anywhere from a second to two off your encounters cooldown times. I know by Mod 15 standards that's staggeringly unimpressive, but by Mod 16 standards it's great. Now whether or not that increase in recovery is better than more crit severity will depend on your build .... but if you are already using a vorpal enchant, you are probably going to find the increased recovery speed does more to boost your damage.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    so far, thaum has been the pick, as AP gain is null, u literally get 1% ap from encounters, regardless what you use, only shard from arcanist gives alot more, but you have RoF in thaum and atwills are our main source of Ap till they fix their HAMSTER, so yh u literally gonna be doing ur rotation and spamming RoF to gain Ap. for feats i just use the top ones, except for bosses where i switch to the bottom one on the third line. Fireball in spellmastery for aoe, cs, Coi to proc rimefire (unless u are using flames from the last feat then go with something that has lower cd and more magnitude) repel is the last one. fo bosses, i only switch out fireball for RoE on tab and COI for entangling. you should be ok really with most builds, unless ur stats get HAMSTER up with scaling when doing tong/cradle/Cr. you have to check ur armor pen in those dungeons and if needed use the guild boon, or u'll be doing little to nothing in damage.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Man, I've played for two days only and I already managed so much... If you don't know mechanics by now, why do you play a Wizard?

First, I hope that you've played CTA event as that alone will give you around 35INT and 29CHA (+Elixir of Heroism). It's not important really, just feels funny.

There are no real recommendations tbh. You take what you had in MOD15 and do what you can in MOD16.

ATM I'm @ 22K Wizard and nowhere nearly optimized in/for content.

Try to do things like this

- Run new campaign as soon as you can! Finish it in a day or two. Get as many Azure enchantments in your Utility slots, rank 8 and UP! If possible, use some of your old R13/R14 enchants and change them to Azure enchs (going to be BTA). Use ZEN to get more XP garments. Use Guild XP boon. Finish the campaign and get a quest to do a M.Expedition!
    - Run a few of low level Training Dungeons to get new MOD16 value that will allow you to get Raid rings that give around 5K Combat Advantage each (300 coins each, too).
    - If you lack Combat Advantage, use Assassin type enchants, they are new and are obtainable from the trade.
    - You can but do not need to use Vorpal enchantment, as you will max out Critical Strike rather easy.
    - Put forward ALL your Arpen + Accuracy items and artifacts. Get them above 60K each, prefer them at around 70K each. Do that first, then focus on MExpedition.
    - Obaya questgiver lady will give you a box of whatever that you will use to possibly get the new weapon. I got mine on the first run, just need amulet.
    - Finish the quest for those runestones. You need 30 ragestones to convert into 3 rage runestones and then you will have a higher chance of obtaining special gear. It is similar to how Tarokka cards worked back, so if you are familiar with hunts, this is a similar concept. Farm them in Slipery Slope. Get into instance where there are around 10 ppl already farming those runes. Soon after you will have them in hundreds! If you do not get them dropping, you haven't done the quest for them first.
    - Go to LFG and say something like "Exped Wiz **k+ lf ME, inv, got runes" or similar. People will usually call you because, you know, that's how it goes.

For powers try going with arcanist, use a combination of spells like shard of avalanche, icy terrain, entangling force and disintegrate. @ Boss area switch entangling force to Repel, Disintegrate, RoE and whatever else you want. Use a lot of RoF, too! Especially if you use feature spellstorm/stormspell.
    You can try and mix things up! It doesn't matter what you do to be BiS, the thing is - it is not just too early, but downright crazy to actually do any BiS at the moment when the game's building up after another unlucky "6". Besides, the prices are crazy atm and so are the necessities to BiS anything at the moment. Just play how you feel is good for you and ENJOY what you play, that's the whole point. Everything is beatable in my experience with MExpedition.

You can either go with Tenebrous or completely invest in Power/Crit/CA combo.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    I tried your build and I have to say, thank you. Much better, then the build I had made on my own.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • bifflincultebifflinculte Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    This thing is, smolder used to be a low dps spell, and is still associated with debuff. In mod 16, debuff is gone, so many think smolder is useless.
    In fact the thaumaturge paragon has nothing to do with former master of flame. With the right feats and gameplay, smolder has become by far the best offensive spell in all situations. It is even better than arcanist's storm spell.
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    I only disagree about the first feat. The recharge speed feat is very effective and IMO far more useful than the AP one, which makes very little difference.

I prefer the permanent small smolder boost and very small party buff of Swath of Destruction but it's up to personal preference.
    edited May 2019
    You convinced me, the recharge speed buff is higher than I thought. For single target fights, AP gain from 2nd feat is very limited. For trash, both are good.
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    I'm glad to hear that we agree on Relative Haste.

A few more remarks:
    • You say that Icy Terrain can multi-proc Shatter Strike. If you've actually found a way to do it, I'd like to know how. For me it only does one Shatter Strike. It actually makes sense since only the first hit applies root.
    • Unless I missed something, Control encounters (Repel, Icy Terrain, Entangling Force, Icy Rays and Chill Strike) only trigger Shatter Strike once, and at-wills can't trigger it at all. Freeze doesn't count as a control effect.
    • That being said, I still believe Shatter Strike to be better than Frigid Winds. It's worth noting that Frigid Wind doesn't affect smolder, so it only really is half as effective as what the tooltip says.
    - On control immunized foes : you're right, icy terrain only triggers shatter strike once. I tested on preview, this has changed since release.

- I was mentioning shatter strike on normal foes : icy terrain and ray of frost are the only spell that can freeze targets, necessary to proc shatter strike. Ray of frost doesn't proc shatter strike on immunzed targets. Nevertheless, ray of frost remains the best at-will for boss fights, since it's the best way spamming smolder (and wrath of lostmauth) and adding chill for chilling presence.

- I haven't tested frigid winds, i was just happy that mod 14 version of shatter strike feat was back in mod 16 !
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    artifleur said:

I'm glad to hear that we agree on Relative Haste.

A few more remarks:

• You say that Icy Terrain can multi-proc Shatter Strike. If you've actually found a way to do it, I'd like to know how. For me it only does one Shatter Strike. It actually makes sense since only the first hit applies root.
    • Unless I missed something, Control encounters (Repel, Icy Terrain, Entangling Force, Icy Rays and Chill Strike) only trigger Shatter Strike once, and at-wills can't trigger it at all. Freeze doesn't count as a control effect.
    • That being said, I still believe Shatter Strike to be better than Frigid Winds. It's worth noting that Frigid Wind doesn't affect smolder, so it only really is half as effective as what the tooltip says.

I agree that Relative Haste is really good, the encounter rotation is really more smooth with Relative Haste, it's not as good as the old spell twisting but you can really feel the difference when you have it.
    And since the nerf of damage to daily just before mod 16 hit live, AP gain seems to have less impact.

Thanks for this info, I used Frigid Winds on 2 Thauma AoE loadout, this morning I used respec token and changed Frigid Winds with Shatter Strike and I'm satisfied with the result.
    I tried a Master Expedition with one rune in solo, and with shatter strike on my AoE loadout I can only swap power for Boss fight without changing loadout.

An other thing, I got my Alabaster set this week-end, and I have not selected my weapon bonus and off-hand bonus

For weapon, Do you use chilling cloud or Ray of frost?

For off-hand, Critical Severity or Recharge speed?

“He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • solanaceae#5995 solanaceae Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Hey, just wanted to chip in my 2 cents. I'm a new player who started playing earlier this month, so all my experience is exclusive to Mod 16. I'm probably somewhere in the middle of endgame right now. 16k IL, but I'm not in a guild. Only have the Alabaster off-hand, and I'm poor so I roll Lostmauth instead of Orcus.

I've found that for the feats, 5x bottom works the best. The first feat is interchangeable between top and bottom, but I prefer Smoldering Recovery because if you crit on Icy Terrain/Conduit of Ice with a large crowd (Merchant Prince's Folly especially) + Critical Conflagration, you get over 1/3 of your AP meter charged in <10 seconds.

For class features, I roll Critical Conflagration (pretty sure every good Thaum build uses this) and Swath of Destruction.

At-Wills are Ray of Frost and Smolder. I've heard good things about Chilling Cloud and tried it in a few runs, but I always find it too inconsistent. Wizard is already super crit-dependent, and Chilling Cloud only does potentially good damage on the third hit.
    I use Ray for 1-3 targets, Smolder for bigger groups or as an opening when my burst moves are still on CD.

I use two different encounter setups for groups vs. bosses. For groups, I run Fireball on tab, Conduit of Ice, Icy Terrain, and Entangling Force. For bosses, I swap Fireball for Ray of Enfeeblement, and if I have time, I swap Entangling Force for Repel too. Unfortunately, both Ray of Enfeeblement and Entangling Force can only proc Smolder once if they crit. I guess they're just coded differently from Conduit/Icy Terrain as DoTs, instead of rolling for damage each hit.

Repel is the most unorthodox pick, from what I've noticed. I use it because it does huge damage on a short CD (575 Magnitude with the bottom 3rd feat on an ~11 second CD), it doesn't actually lose any Smolder mechanics since Entangling can't proc Smolder every tick, and because it's a control power, spamming it gives my party better uptime on Controlled Momentum. I think that gives a +2% damage buff? It's not detailed in-game.

Dailies are Ice Knife and Furious Immolation for bosses/groups respectively.

Last but not least, I use Doohickey and Alliance Battle Horn in my potion tray. I've been super impressed by Doohickey; it does double the damage of my Fireball, though I'm only at around 50k Power.
  • reefriednunt#3177 reefriednunt Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    Any updates on builds? How about the cha or dex? I feel as though dex might be a little better, any thoughts? Does everyone still roll with ROF?
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Mod 16 you can run anything you want; there really is no BAD build. I have 8 loadouts. Each one is completely different. I went into Master of the Hunt and soloed it 5x with each build. All took roughly the same amount of time; therefore it doesn't matter how you build your character, even bad builds like I purposely did for the test still performed well enough to not really be that behind a well thought out build.

Took said builds and ran new content, again I can't really see a difference. They made this game so that a toddler with zero understanding could play. It is that bad of a change IMO. Complexity not needed and does not impact game play at all.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited June 2019

Mod 16 you can run anything you want; there really is no BAD build. I have 8 loadouts. Each one is completely different. I went into Master of the Hunt and soloed it 5x with each build. All took roughly the same amount of time; therefore it doesn't matter how you build your character, even bad builds like I purposely did for the test still performed well enough to not really be that behind a well thought out build.

Took said builds and ran new content, again I can't really see a difference. They made this game so that a toddler with zero understanding could play. It is that bad of a change IMO. Complexity not needed and does not impact game play at all.

This is totally false. There are substancial differences in DPS with one build to other, paragon paths and feats can make you to do 1/2 or 1/3 of the dmg of other build.

Taking master of the hunt as a test scenario is just weird, take any dungeon that needs a bit of effort and you will see big differences.

If you are talking about solo play or things like MoH then well you should tell that.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I agree with Darthpotater.

For the Wizard, different feat choice will impact your DPS.
    Here is an example:
    A couple weeks ago I wanted to test the DPS difference Between Icy Veins and Glowing Flames for AoE build.
    Because I played a lot of time Master Expedition in solo with 1 or 2 rune with a Thaumaturge AoE build with Icy Veins and my impression was => it's better than Glowing Flames.
    But it was false, why I had this impression because with Icy Veins you have more control, the run is more smooth but you don't have more DPS.

I tested the DPS output in Kessel.
    (all the run except the Boss fight)

For the run with Icy Veins I tried my best to use Fireball and Oppressive Force when mobs are frozen to get the maximum from chilling presence.

My theory was a skilled player who uses Fireball and Oppressive Force at the right moment to have 12% damage from chilling presence will have better DPS.

Add to this Shatter Strike will process more often. Relative Haste will reduce your cool down more.

The result of the test was: I'm wrong, Glowing Flames are a better choice for DPS for AoE.

Icy Veins is good if you want more control for AoE to help surviving when you want to solo epic dungeon.
    Icy Veins is good for Single Target if you want to build your chill stack more quickly.

Thaumaturge Icy Veins Build

Relative Haste
    ***Icy Veins***
    Shatter Strike
    Critical Burn
    Direct Flame

Chilling Presence
    Critical Conflagration

Chilling Cloud
    Ray of Frost

Chill Strike (Mastery)
    Icy Terrain
    Fire Ball
    Conduit of Ice

Ice Knife
    Oppressive Force

Thaumaturge Glowing Flames Build

Relative Haste
    ***Glowing Flames***
    Shatter Strike
    Critical Burn
    Direct Flame

Chilling Presence
    Critical Conflagration

Chilling Cloud
    Ray of Frost

Chill Strike (Mastery)
    Icy Terrain
    Fire Ball
    Conduit of Ice

Ice Knife
    Oppressive Force

Conclusion
    Glowing Flames for AoE and with Boss with mobs.
    Icy Veins for Boss with no mobs.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
    Here is something I learned with the wizard two paragon path.

Arcanist is great if you want to gain Combat Advantage for some bonus damage; however, I kill things rather quickly using my Thaum build.

I have tested a variety of builds running a variety of content and all builds can do anything in the game. The difference is just how you plan to play your character - more controlling, more self buffing, or quicker killing.

I find Arcanist is best on bosses with Thaum doing great damage for AoE; however, Arcanist can do good AoE damage as well.
    Question about the new shirts. There is one that boost damage by 3% when you

This is totally false. There are substancial differences in DPS with one build to other, paragon paths and feats can make you to do 1/2 or 1/3 of the dmg of other build.

Taking master of the hunt as a test scenario is just weird, take any dungeon that needs a bit of effort and you will see big differences.

If you are talking about solo play or things like MoH then well you should tell that.
    1/3 dmg is more about encounters used than feats. Feats can boost your dmg but not like you think. I see to many players using the wrong encounters or at wills during certain fights and that has had a bigger impact on dmg than feats.

For instance if I'm running as an arcanist and running all single target abilities I would produce less dmg than if I ran AoE abilities when fighting groups of mobs. The dmg difference on feats isn't game changing like other mods; you still can be effective with the less optimal feat in this mod.

I will state that any unused feat will be adjusted by the devs and that means it will become the go to feat given how the devs tend to over compensate when the fix things.